What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

On 8/18/2011 at 1:24 PM, chim richalds said:

Crosswind- yes, our military has made it known that humanitarian support is more important than war-fighting, anybody who doubts that just hasn't been around enough. So, 5 things I hate the most about the Air Force:

1- Closed for training on (insert day here).

2- Sexual assault training.

3- The 10 different offices that you can complain to: ig, chaplain, meo, sarc, afrc what do these people do all day?

4- The term "standby to standby".

5- Senior Ncos, they usually have bad haircuts and no real purpose in life.

#5 spot on. Both ROTC senior NCOs I had were  ROTC NCOs for all but 2 years of there AF career. 

17 hours ago, flyusaf83 said:

Our leadership, both Congressional and AF. For example, In our latest T-6 PIT safety day, we were told by the OG/CC that leadership understands that there is a realistic chance that by continuing to fly the T-6 with the current rate of UPEs, there will be eventually be class A mishaps and fatalities.  

However, the AF is also bleeding pilots and has decided to grow their way out of the pilot manning crisis, meaning increasing pilot production.  So they have conducted their strategic risk assessment and have chosen to accept the risk of flying bad jets so we can churn out pilots.  They are willing to accept some smoking holes in the ground, rather than stand down the whole fleet for a few months and lose a few hundred pilots.

Might as well bring back the t-37 too

"We have an increase student load coming and from 2017 to 2021 the forecast is a 34 percent increase in students," said Col. Darrell Judy, 71st Flying Training Wing commander.

Judy said the student increase won't come with more instructors, at least not for a few more years.

https://newsok.com/article/5600396/vance-air-force-base-prepares-for-boost-in-pilot-training

This will definitely help retain existing instructors right?

It sucks to be one of those studs during the this surge.  They are going to have less training and fierce competition through their years AD.

A lot more weight of effort has to be placed on retention rather than production.  Period...  and I'm not talking about getting rid of a CBT or two or pen tab patches.

34% increase? That’s old news. The current number is from 1200->2000 per year just to keep up with people leaving. And the UPT bases can’t even meet the 1200 existing number let alone the previous 1400 number that was thrown around last year.

1 hour ago, ThreeHoler said:

34% increase? That’s old news. The current number is from 1200->2000 per year just to keep up with people leaving. And the UPT bases can’t even meet the 1200 existing number let alone the previous 1400 number that was thrown around last year.

And then the fighter pipeline will be backed up, creating a BIT program so once 30% more officers hit the new PRFs required majors board there will only be a 60% selection rate.  At about this time, leaps in unmanned airplane tech will require less pilots (projected) so mass RIFs and VSP rounds will take place.  The AF will overcut though, and ask the same group to come back in a few years.  Sum up the next 20 years?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, matmacwc said:

And then the fighter pipeline will be backed up, creating a BIT program so once 30% more officers hit the new PRFs required majors board there will only be a 60% selection rate.  At about this time, leaps in unmanned airplane tech will require less pilots (projected) so mass RIFs and VSP rounds will take place.  The AF will overcut though, and ask the same group to come back in a few years.  Sum up the next 20 years?

I can't tell if this is the last twenty or the next twenty.

2 hours ago, matmacwc said:

92CAD816-2CA0-4AD1-AE39-2C56587B374F.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HU&W said:

Official propo on the current status of the aircrew crisis.  

http://airman.dodlive.mil/2018/06/27/finding-answers/

Typical general toting the company line. They don’t get it. Shame. Gonna have to learn the painful way...well painful for others unfortunately and not them...they’ll have cushy defense contractor gigs soon enough. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Throw in a TAMI22 and you about hit the nail on the head.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, HU&W said:

Okay.  I’ve read that entire article 3 times today hoping my conclusion would change.  It hasn’t.  “What fucking planet are you on, dude?!”  I want to drive to his house with a 12 pack and invite myself in. “My man!  We need to talk!”  Because clearly NO ONE he has talked to has given him the straight scoop.

He might as well have said, “Well, based on my two 15 day deployments in the last 20 years, THIS is what the rated force means”.  YGBSM. 

Edited by Bergman
  • Upvote 4

That is a guy who has only ever been in the Air Force, and is so self-indoctrinated that he doesn't even understand the concept of "quality of life" as it exists in the real world outside of big blue.

Thus, his assessments and "solutions" are only viable when compared to other previous states of things in the AIr Force, rather than being a comparison to the greener pastures on the outside that pilots are fleeing to.

Basically, a man incapable of actually seeing the bigger picture due to his enjoyment of smelling his own blue-tinged farts.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

On 7/6/2018 at 9:17 AM, billy pilgrim said:

It sucks to be one of those studs during the this surge.  They are going to have less training and fierce competition through their years AD.

A lot more weight of effort has to be placed on retention rather than production.  Period...  and I'm not talking about getting rid of a CBT or two or pen tab patches.

Are you serious? It never sucks to be a military flight student. Unless you suck and shouldn’t be there. 

Perhaps an increase in competition will drive the quality of students up as we in the strike fighter community have seen a relative decline in the past 2-3 years compared to 5+ years ago.

1 hour ago, VMFA187 said:

Are you serious? It never sucks to be a military flight student. Unless you suck and shouldn’t be there. 

Perhaps an increase in competition will drive the quality of students up as we in the strike fighter community have seen a relative decline in the past 2-3 years compared to 5+ years ago.

It doesn’t suck for them at all!

Competition?! There is no competition. Everyone that doesn’t get airsick gets a trophy... Wings. 

Reference: “We must grow out of the pilot crisis”

With the majority of experienced/combat instructor pilots already gone, the training has become a mere shell of what it once was.

Where is the bottom? 

2 hours ago, Hacker said:

Basically, a man incapable of actually seeing the bigger picture due to his enjoyment of smelling his own blue-tinged farts.

That is a great line there Hacker!  Made me laugh out loud.

20 hours ago, HU&W said:

I don't have enough alcohol to do a buzz word drinking game here.   "virtual reality, mixed reality, automated instruction capabilities" "matrixed organization" "production through integration"

Can't they just say retention is a lost cause with the current economy, so we're going to produce our way out of the shortfall.  We'll cut training to meet our quotas, cross our fingers and hope for the best.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NKAWTG said:

We'll cut training to meet our quotas, cross our fingers and hope for the best.  

Sounds like an Air Force inspired ride at Six Flags. Then I look behind me and I'm the only one standing in line for this ride. Probably not a good idea after all.

While I commend a few of the changes in the article below, I wonder as we try to keep maintainers around to fix our f$#!ed up jets, this is the best they got? Who put some of these archaic requirements in place to begin with? I guess the cool kids club is looking for members because nobody wants to play promotion games anymore.   https://www.military.com/2018/07/06/revised-air-force-handbook-ok-call-e-8s-senior.html

I had an FGO ask me if he thought he could get step promoted based on a not yet approved NDAA. I was like bruh, step promotions has always been for enlisted. You want to be a Lt Col, but you are twice passed over. I don't get it. Can someone explain his logic to me? And he is trying to avoid a 365 like the plague. The CC knows it's going to happen to this individual at some point.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

Sounds like an Air Force inspired ride at Six Flags. Then I look behind me and I'm the only one standing in line for this ride. Probably not a good idea after all.
While I commend a few of the changes in the article below, I wonder as we try to keep maintainers around to fix our f$#!ed up jets, this is the best they got? Who put some of these archaic requirements in place to begin with? I guess the cool kids club is looking for members because nobody wants to play promotion games anymore.   https://www.military.com/2018/07/06/revised-air-force-handbook-ok-call-e-8s-senior.html
I had an FGO ask me if he thought he could get step promoted based on a not yet approved NDAA. I was like bruh, step promotions has always been for enlisted. You want to be a Lt Col, but you are twice passed over. I don't get it. Can someone explain his logic to me? And he is trying to avoid a 365 like the plague. The CC knows it's going to happen to this individual at some point.

From your article: “The new handbook replaces the 2009 Air Force Instruction of the same name.”

I’m actually a little surprised this hasn’t been brought up yet. In the push to reduce AFIs we are renaming them. AFI11-2MDSv1/2/3? Gone. Soon to be AFMANs. I can’t believe how much time we’re going to spend implementing this “improvement” that accomplishes what exactly?

I just love this interview...this guy has future senator written all over him.  Totally incapable of answering a simple question.

Just an example:

"AIRMAN MAGAZINE: When did the Air Force start noticing pilot manning issues in the fighter community?"

Seems like a pretty simple question...when did you notice it?

"BRIG. GEN. KOSCHESKI: The fighter pilot crisis manifested itself because when you only have single seat fighters, it becomes a cockpit training capacity issue quickly compared to larger aircraft with multi-seats, where you have an aircraft commander and a copilot. You have a little bit more flexibility to manage your pilot training. The crisis happened quickly in the fighters because of that very reason.

But what we’re seeing is the same dynamics are in place for other career fields, and also because of the fighter pilot shortage, the mobility Air Force has been carrying some training shortfalls and pilot training to cover the shortage of fighter pilots. So, their effective manning has been hit and they’ve been doing more than their fair share, trying to help out while we heal the fighter pilot crisis."

Okay...but WHEN DID YOU NOTICE THE ISSUES??  WHEN, not HOW or WHY.  WHEN.  It is a time-based question, sir.  The answer should have some kind of chronological reference, like "in 2008 when Gen Welsh was going around USAFE asking fighter pilots why they aren't staying in", or "last week when one of my staffers left Baseops.net open on his computer and I started reading."

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3