What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

No more Qualification Check Ride, only a single Qual/Msn combined Form 8 (Formation) at end of program.   Increased number of Proficiency sorties (no instruction grades), thought processes being allow people to be more proficient in aircraft before expecting them to instruct in it.  Added Formation Solo and Area/Pattern Solo's.  No more Contact/instrument/lowlevel categories, there is a formation category but you can fly any event on any sortie.  So take off formation split up for contact maneuvers, then reform for a wing approach / ldg etc.  Sounds great but in practice it is a nightmare.  Students struggle to understand what a good flow should look like, and guidance is still weak.  Lazy IP's or otherwise inexperienced are allowing UI's to execute less than desirable sortie profiles thus wasting good training opportunities.  For example allowing a student working on Rear Cockpit Proficiency to not fly patterns on multiple sorties but instead knock out low level / contact area maneuvers instead, the whole point of RCP proficiency is for landings primarily from the RCP, not doing a loop from the RCP.    Perhaps over time a more commonly accepted flow will emerge, but right now I am constantly having to toss out the students plan or cancel the sortie outright because I refuse to allow them to progress and setup a situation where they have only seen ELPs from the RCP once in the entire block until the end or similar situation. 

Edited by DirtyFlightSuit
Added form 8 category description

1 hour ago, Champ Kind said:

I had hopes for that initiative too. I can’t really think of a good reason to restrict “fly only” pilots to VIPSAM and keep that talent from the operational MAF.

To be fair, the article also says, “Or, the pilots could become instructors.” If they include the FTU in that category, then at least it’s somewhat viable.

Not really viable for KC-135/C-17.  That FTU is at one of most remote stateside bases and pilots tend to 7 day op or leave at first opportunity if assigned there.

• Like 1

Three part series on the state of some of big blue's aircraft.

In-flight emergency: An investigation into flight safety at Offutt's 55th Wing

https://www.omaha.com/news/read-the-whole-series-flight-safety-at-offutt-s-th/collection_14992f1c-f68d-5330-9a65-fe89d3727760.html

A congressional WTF memo was shortly thereafter sent to SecAF.

https://www.omaha.com/the-nebraska-congressional-delegation-s-letter-to-the-air-force/pdf_7e3bac30-50fb-5715-b728-bb9cd81e3f01.html

18 minutes ago, DirtyFlightSuit said:

Tactical maneuvering alone doesn't make up for the cut in hours, you will have a lesser product don't you worry.  

The intent is that they’ll make up for the lost training at the FTUs.  Can’t speak for the fighter side but on the MAF guys, the FTUs are running at max capacity and min manning.  They will definitely not get their lost UPT training at the FTUs.  Then they’ll show up to the units and be our problem.  They will continue to be burdened with nonner duties because commanders can’t seem to follow CSAF guidance.  They’ll waste time on being equipment custodian, security manager, Christmas party planner, unit piss test POC or whatever.  They’ll have no one to set them straight and teach them how to be pilots because all of our experience is running for the airlines, if they aren’t shackled up at the wing exec or DS office.  We are so f*c&ed. 

• Upvote 7

5 minutes ago, dream big said:

The intent is that they’ll make up for the lost training at the FTUs.  Can’t speak for the fighter side but on the MAF guys, the FTUs are running at max capacity and min manning.  They will definitely not get their lost UPT training at the FTUs.  Then they’ll show up to the units and be our problem.  They will continue to be burdened with nonner duties because commanders can’t seem to follow CSAF guidance.  They’ll waste time on being equipment custodian, security manager, Christmas party planner, unit piss test POC or whatever.  They’ll have no one to set them straight and teach them how to be pilots because all of our experience is running for the airlines, if they aren’t shackled up at the wing exec or DS office.  We are so f*c&ed. 

Checks. 

3 hours ago, DirtyFlightSuit said:

Both syllabus changes were accomplished for the sole reason of reducing timeline.  The claim is using the timeline crunch to make "improvements" to training is just leadership continuing to lie to themselves so that when they retire and transition to airlines they can still sleep at night.   If these changes were legitimate we would have had at a minimum several control groups and a study case or two of classes before we whole sale threw out the old syllabus in its entirety for this new abomination.  For what its worth the PIT change is far less dangerous, so at least our instructors will continue to stink at roughly the same level.  The UPT syllabus is an abomination however, and I think we will see people die as a direct result in the next 5-10 years.  The problem is by then they wont be able to identify the root cause, and our instructor force will drop in quality as those guys show up to an already reduced PIT training syllabus.  

How comforting [sic]

4 hours ago, YoungnDumb said:

Link won't go beyond the first sentence for those without subscriptions.

And it wasn't just Veteran pilots who were pissed about it.  The new syllabus has a lot of good chances in it but also a lot of stupid things.  Like the fact that the students aren't taught how to fly ELP's (engine out procedures) anymore.  But hey it's air education and TIMELINE command

My apologies. It was in my Google news feed and all of the stories in my Google feed do not require a subscription except for the Wall Street Journal at times of course. Crazy how Google knows exactly what I want to read..nerd algorithms. 

Edited by HarleyQuinn

8 hours ago, dream big said:

The intent is that they’ll make up for the lost training at the FTUs.  Can’t speak for the fighter side but on the MAF guys, the FTUs are running at max capacity and min manning.  They will definitely not get their lost UPT training at the FTUs.  Then they’ll show up to the units and be our problem.  

Exactly.  How many ops units are having to run more grade books than the school house?  I know mine does.  
The AF is transferring BASIC aircrew training to the ops units, and still lying to itself that the products are going to be the same.  Eventually, this will get people killed. 

We are already seeing an increased normalization of high fatigue, all-inexperienced aircrews, and guidance to "maximize training" (often during operational sorties)...and the new aircrew with even fewer hours are just starting to arrive, and its going to get even worse.  I used to have a fair number of flights where I could do proficiency and skill development with people.  Now, I spend the vast majority of time on operational sorties or just trying to do enough to log the currency requirements (sometimes at the same time).  We are going to get more inexperienced crews and more so-called "experienced" crews that have fewer and rustier skills (even if their beans look good).

• Upvote 2

One of those things being Wilkerson peeping on a subordinate's wife in the bathroom.

I was there, it was not even remotely what the prosecutor made it out to be.  The accuser was also well known to have lied in court previously and was a veteran of making shit up to get back at other dudes in the past.  Maybe it happened, maybe it didn't, but the fact remains you had a questionable accuser and it was merely his word vs. hers.  Frankly, it's bullshit to send someone to prison based on that weak of a case, and that's why Gen Franklin did what he did.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, dream big said:

They will continue to be burdened with nonner duties because commanders can’t seem to follow CSAF guidance.  They’ll waste time on being equipment custodian, security manager, Christmas party planner, unit piss test POC or whatever.  They’ll have no one to set them straight and teach them how to be pilots because all of our experience is running for the airlines, if they aren’t shackled up at the wing exec or DS office.  We are so f*c&ed. 

Solution. Roll all support positions underneath the ops squadrons that they support. That would make them directly responsible to the Commander that needs to hack the mish, and more importantly, decreases the number of Squadron Christmas parties by the same number as support squadrons we get rid of, plus builds in volunteers for the ops squadron Christmas party.

9 hours ago, Homestar said:

So he was watching a woman pee in a way that was somehow not weird?

From what I recall it was a unisex Deid trailer style "bathroom" IVO the hooch where the deployed unit did their roll calls. It was during/after a members only unit social event, and Wilkerson noticed a line had started forming up to use the pisser because someone had locked themselves in the stall for quite a while and wasn't answering when people were knocking. He knocked and went to check WTH was going on, and it was two female dependents (who weren't even supposed to be there) who had locked themselves in to gossip and look at their Instagram. He then apologized. NBD.

At the trial, the prosecution never entered the incident into evidence. They just asked multiple of Wilkerson's character witnesses, on cross-examination, if they had heard of the incident... to try to get it into the jury's heads by implication that Wilkerson was a creepo.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That mostly sums it up.  To add, it was not uncommon to have someone passed out in there who required some help back to their room, so not unusual to think that had happened, knock a few times, then go in to get the poor SOB (and remind him how much he owes you later).  It just so happened to be Roscoe that walked in, could have been me or any other of the dudes who went in.

On 7/1/2018 at 9:02 PM, HarleyQuinn said:

My apologies. It was in my Google news feed and all of the stories in my Google feed do not require a subscription except for the Wall Street Journal at times of course. Crazy how Google knows exactly what I want to read..nerd algorithms. 

Google the title and you should be able to see it without the paywall

On 7/1/2018 at 7:40 PM, dream big said:

According to one of the MAF functionals the MAF FTUs aren't at max capacity. Which makes sense because last I checked the C-17 schoolhouse was only several weeks behind /sarc.

20180703_130843.jpg

On 7/3/2018 at 5:16 AM, Fuzz said:

According to one of the MAF functionals the MAF FTUs aren't at max capacity. Which makes sense because last I checked the C-17 schoolhouse was only several weeks behind /sarc.

20180703_130843.jpg

Interesting; on the 130 side talking to my bros they are each flying 3 times a week.  The sim is running weekend sims. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/2/2018 at 2:08 AM, raimius said:

The AF is transferring BASIC aircrew training to the ops units, and still lying to itself that the products are going to be the same.  Eventually, this will get people killed.

Take a look at the USAF mishap rate this year.  Cutting corners is expensive.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, dream big said:

Interesting; on the 130 side talking to my bros they are each flying 3 times a week.  The sim is running weekend sims. 

That’s true, the  standard J school program. 6 day weeks in the sim which should be at max capacity with the sims they have.  

3 hours ago, Guardian said:

The expense is in life. Who cares about the dollars compared to that.

Our leadership, both Congressional and AF. For example, In our latest T-6 PIT safety day, we were told by the OG/CC that leadership understands that there is a realistic chance that by continuing to fly the T-6 with the current rate of UPEs, there will be eventually be class A mishaps and fatalities.  

However, the AF is also bleeding pilots and has decided to grow their way out of the pilot manning crisis, meaning increasing pilot production.  So they have conducted their strategic risk assessment and have chosen to accept the risk of flying bad jets so we can churn out pilots.  They are willing to accept some smoking holes in the ground, rather than stand down the whole fleet for a few months and lose a few hundred pilots.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, flyusaf83 said:

Our leadership, both Congressional and AF. For example, In our latest T-6 PIT safety day, we were told by the OG/CC that leadership understands that there is a realistic chance that by continuing to fly the T-6 with the current rate of UPEs, there will be eventually be class A mishaps and fatalities.  

However, the AF is also bleeding pilots and has decided to grow their way out of the pilot manning crisis, meaning increasing pilot production.  So they have conducted their strategic risk assessment and have chosen to accept the risk of flying bad jets so we can churn out pilots.  They are willing to accept some smoking holes in the ground, rather than stand down the whole fleet for a few months and lose a few hundred pilots.

Shack...

Only a matter of time before we write more “guidance” with blood.