What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

Good news guys! The pilot shortage is over, or at least that's what I am assuming as all my buddies with "P"s got passed over! UFB!

A couple of my non-rated friends with "P"s got promoted though...
Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

• Upvote 1

Good news guys! The pilot shortage is over, or at least that's what I am assuming as all my buddies with "P"s got passed over! UFB!

A couple of my non-rated friends with "P"s got promoted though...

Nah, it's just cheaper to keep pilots as continued captains. Plus they can fix the glitch again once there's no more shortage by stopping continuation since it's only a yearly extension up to a specified max. It's not like pilots have any better job opportunities outside of the military right now...

8 hours ago, Guardian said:

Not the shiny penny type but no criminal.

Gotcha, I'm still guessing there's something your friend isn't telling you.  I've known one passed over for O-4, and one to O-5, and neither was exactly eager to advertise the why.  It's a shame, really, because both of them were great bros and mentors to the younger guys, and informally provided the leadership the AF is sorely lacking.  The one mistake Air Force still exists; unless you're an HPO (in which case you can phuck up as often as you like).

7 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

Gotcha, I'm still guessing there's something your friend isn't telling you.

Do you guys not get automatically passed for not doing PME? Our distance PME, EWS, is a two year program and a number of guys who are not complete - Purposely or not, despite being great in all other aspects, have been and continue to be passed over for O-4.

13 minutes ago, VMFA187 said:

Do you guys not get automatically passed for not doing PME? Our distance PME, EWS, is a two year program and a number of guys who are not complete - Purposely or not, despite being great in all other aspects, have been and continue to be passed over for O-4.

Simple answer:  lack of BVR PME all but takes you out of the running for a "DP" on your PRF to O-5 (LAF), which automatically takes you down to about a 50/50 chance of promotion.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, VMFA187 said:

Even passed over he should have been offered continuation...

1 hour ago, Champ Kind said:

Simple answer:  lack of BVR PME all but takes you out of the running for a "DP" on your PRF to O-5 (LAF), which automatically takes you down to about a 50/50 chance of promotion.  

It takes you a lot lower than that.  P without IDE is a rare select indeed.

Any idea if continuation stats will be released? How in the holy hell can we have gone from leadership hinting at stop-loss to non-continuing Majors??? Did somebody not get the phucking memo that we are short, and only going to get shorter, on pilots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

How in the holy hell can we have gone from leadership hinting at stop-loss to non-continuing Majors??? Did somebody not get the phucking memo that we are short, and only going to get shorter, on pilots?

Sir/Ma'am,

Thank you for your concern.  AFI 13-6969 only directs us to look at x, y, and z when determining continuation.  The AFI doesn't direct us to look at AFSC when determining continuation, therefore we do not.  Given the complex nature of continuation, it would be unrealistic to expect perfection.  May I suggest you refer your concerns about the AFI to it's OPR?  You can find that information on the cover page of AFI 13-6969.

R/S,

SrA Shoeclerk McDilligaf

Edited by JarheadBoom
format
  • Upvote 4

JarheadBoom has it 100% correct. "Sorry, sir, we didn't actually read or follow the PSDM and just generated 'fuck you get out of the AF' letters to these guys."

I don't know about the first dude who was not offered continuation, but the two dudes I know were "just" given the wrong letter by a GO. Turns out they were actually continued.

53 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

JarheadBoom has it 100% correct. "Sorry, sir, we didn't actually read or follow the PSDM and just generated 'fuck you get out of the AF' letters to these guys."

I don't know about the first dude who was not offered continuation, but the two dudes I know were "just" given the wrong letter by a GO. Turns out they were actually continued.

So now since they have a signed non-continuation letter could they take the involuntarily separation pay now?

1 hour ago, ThreeHoler said:

How on God's green earth does a GO and their staff screw that up??  That's a pretty glaring mistake that I'm sure caused a few days of serious angst for those dudes.  UFB.

Edited by RTB

8 hours ago, hatedont said:

Tom Cruise confirms ‘Top Gun 2’ is happening

https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.com/2017/05/23/tom-cruise-confirms-top-gun-2-is-happening/amp/

If it wasn't for Top Gun, Wings on the History Channel, and the Janes Combat Simulations - ATF video game, I would not be here.

Aren't you forgetting Iron Eagle?

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, hatedont said:

Tom Cruise confirms ‘Top Gun 2’ is happening

https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.com/2017/05/23/tom-cruise-confirms-top-gun-2-is-happening/amp/

If it wasn't for Top Gun, Wings on the History Channel, and the Janes Combat Simulations - ATF video game, I would not be here.

So the draft outline for the script for Top Gun 2 has leaked (probably Trump and/or Russians.  Same thing, right?):

"TOP GUN 2:  This Time It's Non-Gender Specific"

Having been caught up in the 'Fat Leonard' supply scandal, former Rear Admiral, now Captain Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell is given his final assignment as the Commanding Officer, Naval Fighter Weapons School, Miramar Naval Air Station, California.

Having been the number two graduate of his class in 1986, 'Maverick's' has unique insight into what the daring young aviators have to face in flying their high-performance, stomach-churning aerial chargers in modern air combat.

SCENE 1:

'Maverick' is shown being given a ticket by the Shore Patrol after he was caught driving his Lexus on the flight line road trying to keep up with an F-18 doing touch-and-goes, exceeding the station's 25 mph speed limit by nearly 8 mph.

SCENE 2:
'Maverick' puts the auditorium at ease to welcome the Class of 2017B.  The roster includes three women, a two-dude married couple, one undeclared person, and four heterosexual men; one black, one Hispanic, one Asian, one White.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Top Gun.  I am Captain Maverick Mitchell and I want...yes?  What is it, lieutenant?"

"Sir, you only welcomed the ladies - which is a very patriarchacal thing to do - and the men - which just demonstrates their historic privilege.  But you didn't include the zir.  I am offended and have uploaded your comments to youtube.  I assume I will be receiving an apology from the Department of the Navy and you after the press conference with Gloria Allred?"

SCENE 3:
Operations Officer Holly 'Diaper' Nowak briefing the class for a mission:
"Today, you are scheduled for a 4v4 DACT - Hornets against the 3rd generation contract air.  Unfortunately, the MC rate won't support it, so "Snowflake" and "Cis-G" you two will go fly a BFM.  The rest of you can knock out some of your CBTs."

SCENE 4:  Having sweated their way through the CBTs, the 2017B class makes its way over to the Miramar All-Ranks Club where the SARC and Alcohol Prevention offices check their IDs at the door, carefully noting their data, and placing their CAC cards in the file to be retrieved on the way out, after the mandatory breathalyzer and room sweep checking for sexual assault victims.

Finally making their way to the near-empty bar, as the Isley Brothers "You've lost that lovin' feelin'" begins to blare from the speakers, the four heterosexual men are accosted by the irate school instructor that looks remarkably like Kelly McGillis.  But not the hot, wild-haired Kelly.  No this the haggish, yet with an Adam's apple, Kelly who instantly begins to berate them for building the modern world.

SCENE 5:
Meanwhile, in an unnamed Middle Eastern country, the despot that rules that arid, worthless land gases and kills his citizens.  Despite it having absolutely no strategic value to the United States, the President, fully backed by the hawks in Congress dependent upon the defense contractors in their districts, sends a short-manned carrier battle group to the region.  Why it's short-manned, especially in pilots, is never questioned.

Class 2017B receives its orders to man, er, person-up the carrier's flight department despite not having worked up or being current in carrier operations.

Stepping into their F-35Cs, they find out that "this helmet is too heavy."  This ejection seat is "too tall."  But this all-seeing, all-knowing fighter is "just right."

Flying an Alpha strike (not your father's Vietnam Alpha strike of 50 jets), this one has four F-35s and two UCAVs, our class of heroes flies into the double-digit SAM rings where they all synch their Blueteeth to some Starbuck's selected folk-rock tunes and proceed to ISR the hell out of the dirt.

They return to the boat, all take the three wire, shut down.

And hand in their separation papers since they each got a call from major airline.

AND CUT...
  • Upvote 29

How on God's green earth does a GO and their staff screw that up??  That's a pretty glaring mistake that I'm sure caused a few days of serious angst for those dudes.  UFB.

Lets go back to 2014 and remember the fail that was VSP and TERA. The lack of info and guidance. Last minute changes and delay after delay and yet no one was hammered.... it's AF standard for shoe clerks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, brickhistory said:

So the draft outline for the script for Top Gun 2 has leaked (probably Trump and/or Russians.  Same thing, right?):

Having been caught up in the 'Fat Leonard' supply scandal, former Rear Admiral, now Captain Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell is given his final assignment as the Commanding Officer, Naval Fighter Weapons School, Miramar Naval Air Station, California.

Having been the number two graduate of his class in 1986, 'Maverick's' has unique insight into what the daring young aviators have to face in flying their high-performance, stomach-churning aerial chargers in modern air combat.

SCENE 1:

'Maverick' is shown being given a ticket by the Shore Patrol after he was caught driving his Lexus on the flight line road trying to keep up with an F-18 doing touch-and-goes, exceeding the station's 25 mph speed limit by nearly 8 mph.

SCENE 2:
'Maverick' puts the auditorium at ease to welcome the Class of 2017B.  The roster includes three women, a two-dude married couple, one undeclared person, and four heterosexual men; one black, one Hispanic, one Asian, one White.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Top Gun.  I am Captain Maverick Mitchell and I want...yes?  What is it, lieutenant?"

"Sir, you only welcomed the ladies - which is a very patriarchacal thing to do - and the men - which just demonstrates their historic privilege.  But you didn't include the zir.  I am offended and have uploaded your comments to youtube.  I assume I will be receiving an apology from the Department of the Navy and you after the press conference with Gloria Allred?"

SCENE 3:
Operations Officer Holly 'Diaper' Nowak briefing the class for a mission:
"Today, you are scheduled for a 4v4 DACT - Hornets against the 3rd generation contract air.  Unfortunately, the MC rate won't support it, so "Snowflake" and "Cis-G" you two will go fly a BFM.  The rest of you can knock out some of your CBTs."

SCENE 4:  Having sweated their way through the CBTs, the 2017B class makes its way over to the Miramar All-Ranks Club where the SARC and Alcohol Prevention offices check their IDs at the door, carefully noting their data, and placing their CAC cards in the file to be retrieved on the way out, after the mandatory breathalyzer and room sweep checking for sexual assault victims.

Finally making their way to the near-empty bar, as the Isley Brothers "You've lost that lovin' feelin'" begins to blare from the speakers, the four heterosexual men are accosted by the irate school instructor that looks remarkably like Kelly McGillis.  But not the hot, wild-haired Kelly.  No this the haggish, yet with an Adam's apple, Kelly who instantly begins to berate them for building the modern world.

SCENE 5:
Meanwhile, in an unnamed Middle Eastern country, the despot that rules that arid, worthless land gases and kills his citizens.  Despite it having absolutely no strategic value to the United States, the President, fully backed by the hawks in Congress dependent upon the defense contractors in their districts, sends a short-manned carrier battle group to the region.  Why it's short-manned, especially in pilots, is never questioned.

Class 2017B receives its orders to man, er, person-up the carrier's flight department despite not having worked up or being current in carrier operations.

Stepping into their F-35Cs, they find out that "this helmet is too heavy."  This ejection seat is "too tall."  But this all-seeing, all-knowing fighter is "just right."

Flying an Alpha strike (not your father's Vietnam Alpha strike of 50 jets), this one has four F-35s and two UCAVs, our class of heroes flies into the double-digit SAM rings where they all synch their Blueteeth to some Starbuck's selected folk-rock tunes and proceed to ISR the hell out of the dirt.

They return to the boat, all take the three wire, shut down.

And hand in their separation papers since they each got a call from major airline.

AND CUT...

Were you sitting SOF or Ops Sup when this was written?

13 minutes ago, hatedont said:

Were you sitting SOF or Ops Sup when this was written?

brick?  Hell, he was drinking scotch somewhere...probably Redbreast 12...

Edited by FourFans130
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Absolutely brilliant.

Shared amongst Miramar fighter pilots.