What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

Why not? The government has screwed it up so much might as well contract it out.

You're right - the contractor has a profit motive that will get bigger F ups done faster and for more money with less iron bought - genius!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Clark Griswold said:

This is more of symptom of what's wrong with the AF rather than the cause but it reeks of shoe clerkism & process worshiping versus professional, competent, confident decision making...

This so much.  

Me via my Col, "Hey, there's this big new service migration coming week after next.  The 4-star promised the other 4-star we'd get it done.  The ticket's been in for a couple of weeks now with no action.  Sq/Commander X, can you look into it and make sure it moves along so we're not wrangling Amn on a Sat to get it done.  It is planned for XX May XX."  CC'd whole chain for vis.

Nothing for 4 days, so we pinged saying this was coming <a week.

Commander X, "We've got to make sure it goes through our ad hoc process, did I mention we're undermanned?"

"Right, but...you know, 4-stars, high-vis...you're a Commander.  We've made Amn jump through their ass before, and we're trying to avoid that. Can you give me a ETA of when it'll get done"

"Ops Grp" CD, "Well, you can raise the priority on it and that'll move it through the log-jam.  I'll get you a POC.  What's the due date, we aren't tracking it?"

Call "Ops Group" 5 hours later since we've had no comms.  CC, CD, Sq/CC all gone TDY/Leave.  Talk to the civ "deputy" who "Doesn't work the ops side of the house."  Goes on and on about how the new contract is going to take care of all these tickets in the future, and we need to plan them better, etc.

Sq DO shoots me an email telling me we need to prioritize their work for them, that they've had this ticket for a week, but weren't doing anything because it's a "project" and they don't work those unless tasked.  Once it's tasked, then they'll start planning, but won't start planning now.  Also, they guy they need to do it won't be in for the rest of the week, so we have to figure something else out.  Accused my Col of Bro-netting the tickets to get done.

I will not be taking the bonus, because I will not serve under these monkeys.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 17D_guy said:

This so much.  

Me via my Col, "Hey, there's this big new service migration coming week after next.  The 4-star promised the other 4-star we'd get it done.  The ticket's been in for a couple of weeks now with no action.  Sq/Commander X, can you look into it and make sure it moves along so we're not wrangling Amn on a Sat to get it done.  It is planned for XX May XX."  CC'd whole chain for vis.

Nothing for 4 days, so we pinged saying this was coming <a week.

Commander X, "We've got to make sure it goes through our ad hoc process, did I mention we're undermanned?"

"Right, but...you know, 4-stars, high-vis...you're a Commander.  We've made Amn jump through their ass before, and we're trying to avoid that. Can you give me a ETA of when it'll get done"

"Ops Grp" CD, "Well, you can raise the priority on it and that'll move it through the log-jam.  I'll get you a POC.  What's the due date, we aren't tracking it?"

Call "Ops Group" 5 hours later since we've had no comms.  CC, CD, Sq/CC all gone TDY/Leave.  Talk to the civ "deputy" who "Doesn't work the ops side of the house."  Goes on and on about how the new contract is going to take care of all these tickets in the future, and we need to plan them better, etc.

Sq DO shoots me an email telling me we need to prioritize their work for them, that they've had this ticket for a week, but weren't doing anything because it's a "project" and they don't work those unless tasked.  Once it's tasked, then they'll start planning, but won't start planning now.  Also, they guy they need to do it won't be in for the rest of the week, so we have to figure something else out.  Accused my Col of Bro-netting the tickets to get done.

Don't worry, things aren't that much better for the rest of the DoD. 

IT trouble tickets are backed up 7-8 months out because of a new (cheaper) contracting company that came onboard last year.  Many machines and VTCs don't work, the only way to get something fixed in a timely fashion is via the bro-network.

20 minutes ago, 17D_guy said:

Vote with your feet if you have to, I wish I could say I see a turning point but it just gets to be more of a jobs program all the time with some Air, Space and Cyberspace power projection done for good measure.

Pains me to say that without offering some kind of solution to the problem but maybe it (the AF) is just in need of a massive reset vs "fix the glitch".  How to reset is the 64 billion dollar question.

13 hours ago, Day Man said:

After my FEB, the recorder (prosecutor essentially) became the DO in my (AMC) squadron. I overheard him in the mission planning room tell a new co-pilot that the reason there are so many AFIs is that you couldn't possibly learn/adhere to all of them, and the AF could hold you liable.

I was recently asked by a Guard fighter squadron what I feel would be the biggest culture shock going from a Marine fighter squadron to an Air Force squadron would be and that was essentially it.

I don't have first hand experience as an AF fighter pilot but have heard the standard spiel about only being allowed to do what the pubs say you are allowed to vice the Navy/USMC of being able to do everything with the exception of what the pubs say you cannot do.

5 hours ago, Sprkt69 said:

Whoa whoa whoa. That Wing Exec has like super important things to do, like get to the senior management's constant wishes and making sure his/her golden knee pads are not being scuffed too badly instead of such trivial things like flying.

To be honest, most wing execs I know went kicking and screaming. I felt bad for them.  Best advice I ever got : be good enough at your job that you get the mission done and bring your boys home safe, don't be too good that you start getting considered for HPO...I didn't know what HPO was at the time but I'm fairly convinced it's not a choice to many..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Boomer6 said:

Anyone here attend the meeting with HAF A3 at Randolph this week?

Yup.  Most interesting meeting I've ever been in that didn't involve discussion about blowing shit up.  Refreshing to see a 3 button getting basically yelled at by a room full of crusty O-3s and O-4s.  Some big takeaways:

1.  He came into the meeting incredibly insulated from what is going on.  His disconnect from reality was no fault of his own, but very clear.  For example, he couldn't wrap his head around guys not wanting to be "developed" by way of ACSC and other PME.  Also was unaware of some of the buffoonery going on such as Vance being dry, the elimination of additional duties memo being largely ignored, and the perception that the AF is at best incompetent in the way it handles people, and at worst malicious.  It was obvious that the O-4s he is surrounded are the pickle shining types would would rather die than tell the boss bad news.  We didn't have that problem, and he wasn't sure how to react.

2.  "There is a plan in the work, trust us".  Supposedly there is a 28 point plan of some kind floating around to address the retention issue.  See point 1 for his reaction to our skepticism of it.

3.  He doesn't even know that he is fed a steady diet of bullshit.  He told a story of a great base visit he went on, and was dismissive when told to take everything he sees on a base visit with the biggest grain of salt he can fit on the jet he rode in on.  He didn't realize that whenever guys like him show up, guys like the ones in that room get stuffed in a closet.

4.  Stop loss is off the table.  CSAF realizes that even IF they could get a stop loss approved (unlikely) it will permanently break any chance they have at retention.  They'd get a temporary bump from locking guys down, but they know that as soon as that lockdown inevitably ends, EVERYONE leaves, not just the people who were on the fence before.

So maybe we opened his eyes, but even if we did, points 1 and 3 above kinda indicate that at best he will be one more voice yelling at the brick wall.  The AF is chronically averse to making the kind of changes necessary to retain pilots, and will continue to hemorrhage talent.

• Upvote 13

Yup.  Most interesting meeting I've ever been in that didn't involve discussion about blowing shit up.  Refreshing to see a 3 button getting basically yelled at by a room full of crusty O-3s and O-4s.  Some big takeaways:

1.  He came into the meeting incredibly insulated from what is going on.  His disconnect from reality was no fault of his own, but very clear.  For example, he couldn't wrap his head around guys not wanting to be "developed" by way of ACSC and other PME.  Also was unaware of some of the buffoonery going on such as Vance being dry, the elimination of additional duties memo being largely ignored, and the perception that the AF is at best incompetent in the way it handles people, and at worst malicious.  It was obvious that the O-4s he is surrounded are the pickle shining types would would rather die than tell the boss bad news.  We didn't have that problem, and he wasn't sure how to react.

2.  "There is a plan in the work, trust us".  Supposedly there is a 28 point plan of some kind floating around to address the retention issue.  See point 1 for his reaction to our skepticism of it.

3.  He doesn't even know that he is fed a steady diet of bullshit.  He told a story of a great base visit he went on, and was dismissive when told to take everything he sees on a base visit with the biggest grain of salt he can fit on the jet he rode in on.  He didn't realize that whenever guys like him show up, guys like the ones in that room get stuffed in a closet.

4.  Stop loss is off the table.  CSAF realizes that even IF they could get a stop loss approved (unlikely) it will permanently break any chance they have at retention.  They'd get a temporary bump from locking guys down, but they know that as soon as that lockdown inevitably ends, EVERYONE leaves, not just the people who were on the fence before.

So maybe we opened his eyes, but even if we did, points 1 and 3 above kinda indicate that at best he will be one more voice yelling at the brick wall.  The AF is chronically averse to making the kind of changes necessary to retain pilots, and will continue to hemorrhage talent.

I don't know why, but this is all just hilarious to me.

Thanks for taking the bullet and speaking out to the clueless above us.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, panchbarnes said:

Don't worry, things aren't that much better for the rest of the DoD. 

IT trouble tickets are backed up 7-8 months out because of a new (cheaper) contracting company that came onboard last year.  Many machines and VTCs don't work, the only way to get something fixed in a timely fashion is via the bro-network.

We had a vosip phone trouble ticket submitted on Nov 4, 2016.  I called one night to check in it in March and was told the trouble ticket was closed because the airman that submitted it PCSd.  After I recovered from my aneurysm I had to walk in to the J6 (AF SES) deputies office the next duty day and plead for help.  It got fixed but it should not take begging.

Edited by yatalpan
  • Upvote 3

Napoleon I think you give the 3 star to much credit with his ignorance.  If he has allowed himself to be that ignorant of our issues then he is a poster child to what is wrong with our leadership.  Prior to the meeting I was warned that he was going in there guns blazing completely off tilt on what our actual gripes and concerns were.  His 20+ Min introduction boiled down to:

"We need you guys, so please stay because you know were at war dropping these exploding thingies called bombs every day, and please pretty please trust us we will take care of you, but really we are so engaged around the world and know we are over taxed but you know war so be patriotic and shit suck it up and sign the damned bonus."  

Followed by the room throwing every possible pitch fork and torch at him.  He didn't even have any one in the room taking notes on our concerns, and only when he heard a few specific items he would possibly make an effect on did he steal some paper from some one to write any thing down.  His closing statement you could tell was made ignoring every thing he just heard and went back to the please god stay in the Air Force because really our 28 initiatives are crap, we are "Working" and "talking" about these fixes but really nothing is going to change but maybe if I plead enough you will be dumb enough to stay in.

Just my two cents...  I think most every one came out of there more negative than going in.  I know I did.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Napoleon_Tanerite said:

Thank for the feed back, I just don't believe these management types when they say things like #3. Are we really to believe that he is so insulated that he is clueless to the real AF.  

I have little hope left in the same guys who created the problem are going to fix the problem. 

But hey I sincerely look forward to their "28 point plan", everybody deserves a second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, fuuck it give them all the chances! 

19 hours ago, 1111 said:

Thank for the feed back, I just don't believe these management types when they say things like #3. Are we really to believe that he is so insulated that he is clueless to the real AF.  

I have little hope left in the same guys who created the problem are going to fix the problem. 

But hey I sincerely look forward to their "28 point plan", everybody deserves a second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, fuuck it give them all the chances! 

It's so weird...I remember what the Air Force was like and how people operated in the squadron say 10-12 years ago.  Why is it that General officers can't seem to remember???  How do they lose touch that fast?  It's not like they've been out of the AF for 50 years and suddenly come back in.

Agreed that there is little hope for fixing this, absent a wholesale firing or an actual dramatic shift in policy/actions at the SecAF or CSAF levels.

Having said that, give them their 28 chances.  But I'd be damned sure not to let other chances/opportunities pass by while waiting for Big Blue to unfuck this.  It'll take half a career.  In that time a person could be half way up a seniority list somewhere...

Edited by Bergman
There vs their typo
  • Upvote 1

It will be ugly but not in the ways we assume, some people are staying and they will most certainly be overworked.  This will be yet another opportunity for non-pilots to rise to positions of influence (Space/Cyber/Intel), and we will see a further erosion of morale and our core competencies of employing airpower as they seek to further agendas and secure tribal position and power.  I fear this will ultimately result in a non-warrior leading the USAF or a GCC. 

Plans are in motion to dramatically increase the UPT pipeline so we will likely see an Air Force with a glut of younger far less experienced aviators and in IMHO that will manifest itself in a much higher accident rate.  Also, look for increased incidents of battlefield "mistakes" and fratricide.

If there is a major conflict in the middle of this...scholars will write books for a 100 years on the death of a once great power.

• Upvote 5

I think the largest threat here is the general attitude of our up and coming service members.  The majority of my students now have already started planning on their exit from the Air Force, to include FAIPs looking to bail at the earliest opportunity.  I try (in vain) to explain to them while its great to keep their options open it won't help them much getting so Jaded with so much ADSC remaining to serve.   It was not a whole lot better at UPT with students already choosing assignments based on how attractive it would make them for Airline jobs later in life, while not a bad thing to think about it was a much higher focus than I've ever seen.

General cynicism will reign supreme and even good leaders/commanders are going to face a unenviable position.  HAF/A3 seems to think our goal in life should be to want to be a flying squadron commander, and while maybe at one time I thought that would be cool, the way it is now it sounds about as inviting as a dick punch.   

• Upvote 5

50 minutes ago, DirtyFlightSuit said:

I think the largest threat here is the general attitude of our up and coming service members.  The majority of my students now have already started planning on their exit from the Air Force, to include FAIPs looking to bail at the earliest opportunity.  I try (in vain) to explain to them while its great to keep their options open it won't help them much getting so Jaded with so much ADSC remaining to serve.   It was not a whole lot better at UPT with students already choosing assignments based on how attractive it would make them for Airline jobs later in life, while not a bad thing to think about it was a much higher focus than I've ever seen.

General cynicism will reign supreme and even good leaders/commanders are going to face a unenviable position.  HAF/A3 seems to think our goal in life should be to want to be a flying squadron commander, and while maybe at one time I thought that would be cool, the way it is now it sounds about as inviting as a dick punch.   

That "higher focus" did not occur overnight.It occurred over several years of telling the mish hackers, the guy and gal who would sell pieces of their soul to get the job done in the air that they can be easily replaced, flying is not essential to being a leader in this organization, we want managers not leaders and that integrity applies to only the individual but not the organization (e.g. Let us put the idea of stop loss out there to see if anybody notices and if they do we ll just say jk)

But there is this thing called the economy and as Gearpig said above AF is finding out that pilots are a one helluva principled bunch!

2 hours ago, DirtyFlightSuit said:

I was in pilot training in 2000, it was exactly the same.  Then some goat fuckers flew airplanes into buildings.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

So, let's say none of this gets fixed, and the problems continue at their current pace.

Your opinions:  what will the AF look like in 5 years? 

If they do nothing, a dwindling number of AD and faster dwindling number of ARC members on Involuntary Mobilization orders.  

The spiral will wrap up tighter and tighter.

3 hours ago, 1111 said:

But there is this thing called the economy and as Gearpig said above AF is finding out that pilots are a one helluva principled bunch!

Not sure if "principled" is the right word.  If it is, I am missing your point.

If you meant pilots have an expensive skillset that has a real market value today, I'm with you.

But remind me what adorns most of the GOs' upper left side of their uniforms in the Air Force, including, especially, the ultimate leadership in the USAF?  So no, I don't think "principled" is the correct word choice.