What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

My grandad used to say "the world needs ditch-diggers too".

In this case, the world needs seat-meat for transit and ISR orbit management, too. MCC's know who they need to pay attention to more than others.

My grandad used to say "the world needs ditch-diggers too".

In this case, the world needs seat-meat for transit and ISR orbit management, too. MCC's know who they need to pay attention to more than others.

Not getting too much into mission specifics, but with new AORs our squadron often doesn't have the manning to limit certain pilots to NSTR orbits/particular supported units and transit. It also isn't a way to develop said "talent," when there is limited time for training. Don't get me wrong, we do our best to put good pilots in the game when we know its playoff time... but the playoffs are becoming more and more random.

• Upvote 2

The AF needs to open up more ANG units to fill these caps and make it easier for guys to transition into these roles. I think this is the perfect job for a part-time traditional guardsman.

I separated at 10+ years and have a lot of experience working a pod and dropping bombs in combat in the B-1 and I would love to do this in the Guard. I was interested in a position at Ellington Field but you had to be a fully-qualified pilot or current RPA guy. I was willing to go through the 18X training but that wasn't an option. The AF is losing a lot of valuable experience when guys separate that they could keep on board in the ANG.

• Upvote 1

Apparently, the last viper VML had > 50% of those eligible elect to 7 day opt.

Yeah, wanna know why? Because dudes are seeing the writing on the wall. The VML just prior to the last one (the spring 15) was a bloodbath; out of about 160 pilots on that VML (obviously not all currently in the cockpit - staff returns, etc), guess how many ops to ops assignments there were, as in going from a 3 year tour to another 3 year tour. Just guess.

One.

One ops to ops in the entire VML (and that includes going to teach at the b course). About 20 guys got to go to Korea, so about 20 left and if they were first assignment Korea guys they obviously got to stay in the jet. Everyone else? AETC tours teaching UPT or PIT (including PIT assignments following UPT - not a two plus two, but two full AETC assignments in a row), staff gigs, A29s, etc.

So when the community hears the AF crying about this major 11F/viper pilot shortage, but then nobody gets to actually stay in the jet (did have some guys go from Kunsan to Osan because it was the only way to stay in) dudes are bailing. Which I totally understand, because for a guy/gal to bust their ass for the 3 years it takes just to get to MQT, then work for 3 years in the sq, to then get nothing for it and face a career of 11F "required" assignments that aren't in the F16 - why would you stay?

*The most recent VML wasn't as bad as that one, but the porch is still telling us that expect only one pilot per base to go ops to ops, everyone else gets non-viper assignments. So the outlook is not very good, and folks in the community are tired of being told the AF needs them so badly, but then figuring out it isn't in the jet.

...out of about 160 pilots on that VML ... One ops to ops in the entire VML (and that includes going to teach at the b course)....

Damn. Those are downright terrible stats.

Anyone know the number or percentage of non-flying "11F required" billets vs. 11F flying billets? Seems like the ratio just keeps getting worse...

So when the community hears the AF crying about this major 11F/viper pilot shortage, but then nobody gets to actually stay in the jet (did have some guys go from Kunsan to Osan because it was the only way to stay in) dudes are bailing. Which I totally understand, because for a guy/gal to bust their ass for the 3 years it takes just to get to MQT, then work for 3 years in the sq, to then get nothing for it and face a career of 11F "required" assignments that aren't in the F16 - why would you stay?

Personnel mismanagement seems to be a common theme across the Air Force. It's not AFPC's job to be fair, but when they it up so badly that almost everyone wants to leave it becomes an issue.

At least 11F isn't under the pred gun.

The McChord VML list came out today, 8 RPAs alone, 50% of the assignments (rest white jets).

MC-12 had about the same on the fall vml (had almost 40 RPAs drop in one week).

Not sure if the remaining pilots have received assignments yet.

MC-12 had about the same on the fall vml (had almost 40 RPAs drop in one week). Not sure if the remaining pilots have received assignments yet.

Very soon; expect the number to be closer to 30% than 50% for the remaining MC-12 personnel. The 11F community stepping back from filling white jets will alter the situation slightly.

Bendy

Edited by Bender

True. I guess compared to the other options it was the only one non costal so I was confused.

Already tried that. AZ Guard initially thought of going to Luke before DM; wing there didn't want the RPA mission there, even though it was only MCE ops.

Luke is ok. for the west side. Willie was where it was at back in the day. Next to Mather, was the best ATC base around.

Edited by MD

AZ Guard initially thought of going to Luke before DM; wing there didn't want the RPA mission there, even though it was only MCE ops.

that's a better mentality than ten years ago, when for example, the PA guard played a weak hand and lost when trying to avoid C-12s/C-27s. they ended up with a UAV MCE only. sorry MX technicians kick rocks, go work for DCMA.

Edited by 12xu2a3x3

Good god so the stories from my childhood about Mather were true? Haha

Yup. Mather's club made the Auger look like a Denny's, just with an underground location.

take a look at this VML's fighter bills, you will be unpleasantly supprised.

"We're so short on fighter pilots we can't man all the cockpits"

"Let's send all the fighter pilots to UAVs!"

And big AF wonders why no one trusts the system anymore.

People go nuts with ABU mods. Creasing the sleeves is step 1, followed shortly by sticking shit in the hats to make them stiffer. Then the real insanity begins. "I don't put anything in these shirt pockets, so I'll sew them shut! And on the pants too, that'll be real high speed!" Next is buying a coffee can hat I guess. But the real crazy one, the one that shows you've lost all normal human reasoning, is sewing down the collar all the way around the neck. I've only seen it once, but it was heinous. Looked like one of those shitty 3d video game characters from ADLS.

• Upvote 1