What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

Got this from a friend today, posting here as a follow up about my PT score comments in the Master's degree thread.

I laughed when I saw the message.

Almost every shitty "HOT!! VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY!!" [extra emphasis because that's how they come out when you view them in HTML in Outlook.....] email blast I've seen in the last year or so has had a PT score requirement somewhere in the fine print.

edit: fix quote

Edited by JarheadBoom

Almost every shitty "HOT!! VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY!!" [extra emphasis because that's how they come out when you view them in HTML in Outlook.....] email blast I've seen in the last year or so has had a PT score requirement somewhere in the fine print.

edit: fix quote

Sweet. My 78 should keep me safe. Fat Bastard like a boss.

• Upvote 8

Not official yet, but here's some strong RUMINT of extended assignments - give this a look:

http://afforums.com/index.php?threads/changes-to-assignments-including-bop.47653

MOST Officers (O-5 and below) extended to 4 years | MOST Enlisted extended to 5 years | MOST command tours extended to 3 years | Controlled tours excluded

looks like this is actually rumor. Read the full thread--somebody claims this was proposed policy that wasn't actually picked up but is spreading regardless.

Got this from a friend today, posting here as a follow up about my PT score comments in the Master's degree thread.

I laughed when I saw the message.

It's how they judge you on looks without saying it. My former Chief of Safety was a Generals whipping boy and he was at a corona when they all decided about blues Monday, it wasn't about heritage, it was about getting eyes on "bigger" people, they decided ABUs can hide a lot.

99.8% of responsible Airman "grounded" in Korea due to the actions of the .2%. While international affairs is a consideration, restricting all 7AF personnel is not the answer. You, the one that wants to enjoy a bottle of wine over a nice dinner with your wife, or have a scotch with a cigar...not yours.

http://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/airmen-in-korea-banned-from-drinking-this-weekend-1.289830

Edited by Alaska_ABM

99.8% of responsible Airman "grounded" in Korea due to the actions of the .2%. While international affairs is a consideration, restricting all 7AF personnel is not the answer. You, the one that wants to enjoy a bottle of wine over a nice dinner with your wife, or have a scotch with a cigar...not yours.

http://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/airmen-in-korea-banned-from-drinking-this-weekend-1.289830

"Senior Leadership" at its finest.

From John Q public's Facebook page: "Why treat a bunch of adults like overgrown children? Because by the power of undergoing the senior leader deification process, you can.

This will of course alienate those who behave and do nothing to stop those who won't. But it'll make a bunch of people feel better because they "did something."

From John Q public's Facebook page: "Why treat a bunch of adults like overgrown children? Because by the power of undergoing the senior leader deification process, you can.

This will of course alienate those who behave and do nothing to stop those who won't. But it'll make a bunch of people feel better because they "did something."

And that's what's most important. If you can't fix complicated issues that are present throughout society like DUIs, suicides, sexual assaults, and pretty much anything that involves humans being humans, then at least do something visible. Leadership is hard, it's much easier to just be a manager and claim you're a leader.

• Upvote 1

Christ - can we make this guy CSAF when Welsh retires?

• Upvote 2

"Senior Leadership" at its finest.

I worked for the current 7th AF/CC when he was the WG/CC at Eielson. I dont remember him being prone to gross over-reactions like this. I wonder what happens to the way these guys view their people as they get higher in rank.

Similar news out of Holloman. The new DUI policy as briefed yesterday, on CAF/Resiliency Day no less:

If a member gets a DUI, their squadron will form up in service dress outside the Wing building, while the sq/cc, shirt, guilty party, and supervisor have a meeting with the Wg/CC. Once the meeting is over, those 4 will join the rest in formation, and march to the front gate all together to change the DUI sign. They will depart for the front gate at 1610, with the stated intention of marching in formation while retreat plays at 1630.

Good times.

We still march in the AF? Great now everyone has to brush up on drill and ceremonies, only more brain nuggets and time sucked from primary duties. When's the last time a Sq/CC actually marched a flight?

Similar news out of Holloman. The new DUI policy as briefed yesterday, on CAF/Resiliency Day no less:

If a member gets a DUI, their squadron will form up in service dress outside the Wing building, while the sq/cc, shirt, guilty party, and supervisor have a meeting with the Wg/CC. Once the meeting is over, those 4 will join the rest in formation, and march to the front gate all together to change the DUI sign. They will depart for the front gate at 1610, with the stated intention of marching in formation while retreat plays at 1630.

Good times.

Does this mean if a fellow squadron member is the Wing CGO of the Year that his squadron mates can also claim on their OPR that they are also the Wing CGO of the Year? Or do we only share the bad things?

• Upvote 8

So... what if on one of these "resilience days" we had a mass breifing like in the paragraph above with a little extra highlighting the financial costs associated with it? Better than destroying morale with a clusterfuck formation. It's edutaining as well.

Nice job thinking out of the box and all. But save the Barney Fife lectures for high schools and FTAC. If I haven't figured out by now that drunk driving is dangerous and expensive, a shocking slideshow won't help.

Good times.

That is insanity. If that is an official policy, the person who signed off on it should be fired. Today.

Good times.

Honest question: how is this even legal? I haven't been in the AF very long, and I'm trying to understand how commanders can get away with such inanity. I get it, they are "commanders"...but that doesn't mean they can just do whatever they want. There are limits. Anyone older & wiser care to chime in?

Honest question: how is this even legal? I haven't been in the AF very long, and I'm trying to understand how commanders can get away with such inanity. I get it, they are "commanders"...but that doesn't mean they can just do whatever they want. There are limits. Anyone older & wiser care to chime in?

The IG is set up to prevent such bullshit... but unfortunately, the IG is often as corrupt as the careerist managers who perpetrate this nonsense.

There are lots of people at the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and 60 Minutes that would love to hear these stories. If the IG doesn't work out... there are certainly other options.

There are limits -- the law and policies issued by higher ranking commanders. Dumb as it may seem, if it's neither illegal nor in violation of directives, then yes, they can do what they want. Should they? That's a different question.