What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

Dover seems to have figured out "What's Wrong w/the Air Force..."

(the bold/caps/exclamations are original, not added)

Commentary

5/13/2014 - DOVER AIR FORCE BASE, Del. -- We have all checked out a rental car and thought 'it's just a rental'. Some drive it differently, park it in the tight parking spots without a care about door dings and could never imagine taking it to a car wash. As we turn it in with the gas gauge just below full, having skidded the tires around a few corners, or spilled food on the passenger seat we hope no one will notice these defects and hold us responsible. The responsibility for our judgment and actions is with the OWNER, not the borrower, right?

Service to our nation has many parallels to the rental car. You sign your name on the line to commit to a "contract" in the form of a service commitment, contract, or oath. Rather than paying for the car, you venture out with the "vehicle" earning a salary, using supplies and necessary equipment all paid for with tax dollars. You turn your vehicle back in at the end of your commitment and hope that the OWNER can repair the flaws and hidden defects you have left in your wake. If you have chosen to borrow that vehicle for many years you are given loyalty reward points, paid in the form of a retirement check and health benefits. You have been given a responsibility to take care of borrowed property - our nations trust and expectation of a professional, well trained, and responsible military force...TAKE OWNERSHIP of that responsibility! Change the car from a rental to a purchase.

First, buy a well-built, reliable "car"- the core values should serve as this basis for you. Next, keep your engine running at peak performance by exercising, eating healthy, and getting adequate rest. Keep it clean and polished by adhering to dress and personal appearance standards - if the fender of our car was beat up or rusted we would replace it. We need to do the same with our uniforms and professional equipment.

Okay, okay - enough car analogies. Show up to where you work with a sense of pride in yourself and the place you work. If you see a problem, fix it. If you see garbage on the side of the sidewalk or an overflowing trash can, they will not fix themselves - you are the OWNER. If you see a process that can be improved and more efficient or effective - come up with a plan, pass it through the appropriate channels and make the change - OWN it. If you see someone else not abiding by the high standards we expect - confront them. Learn the standards, abide by the standards and enforce the standards.

I've highlighted the word OWNER quite a few times in this article. I can't emphasize this enough. As our service goes through numerous force shaping programs, you as an Airman or civilian, employed in the support of the greatest military force in the world, must think as an owner of that service rather than as a borrower!

Dover seems to have figured out "What's Wrong w/the Air Force..."

(the bold/caps/exclamations are original, not added)

.......article........

I've highlighted the word OWNER quite a few times in this article. I can't emphasize this enough. As our service goes through numerous force shaping programs, you as an Airman or civilian, employed in the support of the greatest military force in the world, must think as an owner of that service rather than as a borrower!

This article needs to be reassessed. ...generally the Airman want to be productive and take Ownership....it's the leadership that fails to grasp the concept of Ownership....they just "rent" the office they are in and the subordinate units

....and no Dover doesn't get it

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20140531/NEWS/305310038/Relieved-command?sf26801105=1

Relieved of command Leader tried to reach out; investigation cites favoritism

Lt. Col. Craig Perry and his wife, Caroline, involved themselves in the personal lives of airmen and families at their new command, a leadership approach encouraged from the top down to help identify those in need.

Is there more to this story? Sounds like how a good flying squadron would take care of their own...

Edited by B*D*A

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20140531/NEWS/305310038/Relieved-command?sf26801105=1

Is there more to this story? Sounds like how a good flying squadron would take care of their own...

Air Force commanders reminded to "be involved in their subordinates personal live, but not TOO involved."

So, instead of actual interactions to get to Chief Cody's standard of involvement, I guess we'll just force everyone to write a summary MFR of how their week went?

My personal favorite part from the article

“It is clear that there was confusing and/or conflicting guidance among the 737th Training Wing squadron commanders about whether or not derogatory information could be removed,” the investigator found. Whether at the command level or wing level, the Air Force needed to clear it up.

Perry, the report said, had “showed either a lack of judgment or a lack of experience.”

The investigator recommended counseling and remedial training

If you F up because of our unclear guidance, and even if your peers do it, it's still your fault.

• Upvote 1

My personal favorite part from the article

If you F up because of our unclear guidance, and even if your peers do it, it's still your fault.

Pretty clear that the WG/CC wanted this guy gone for some reason and this just provided him the opportunity to do it. The whole thing is just one case after another of "well we can twist this to somehow be against the rules even though it's something that literally everyone else does, we're going to use it to you up."

• Upvote 1

Just saw this little nugget from TC's take on the firing. I'm surprised the whole story has not made it to AF Times...

http://www.jqpublic-blog.com/basic-military-abuse-lackland-trade-recruit-abuse-toxic-leadership/#comments

Anonymous says:

It didn’t get any better with Rolirad or DQ. Rolirad would have her favorite students and she is still in the Air Force. DQ just slept with tons of the students. It makes me sick that nothing happened to them and Perry lost command.

There are so many stories from ex-coworkers, former officer students, and former enlisted students... nothing online as far as I can tell (except for that one comment above).

I've seen many 14Ns get drunk with power as soon as they are put in some kind of a leadership role. These 2 are just a couple of more well known examples.

Well the saga takes a different turn...

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20140607/NEWS/306070036/Spouse-husband-s-former-boss-Return-moving-boxes-pay-up

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

Huh. Petty. Amusing, indicative of a problem and a bit of "I'll burn all this shit down to get you." But petty and I approve.

Ok, here's a doozie.

A buddy of mine that is currently stationed at a UPT base told me about an issue concerning graduation meals that has caused quite a stir amongst leadership. Apparently the meals that are served for graduation banquets at the club are, to quote Rodney Dangerfield, "low-grade dog food." One of the IPs for the last graduation ordered a kids meal and said it was much better, so this time through, all the IPs ordered kids meals. Somehow, Wing leadership got a hold of this information and the SQ/CC called the FLT/CC in and rolled him up for it. All IPs then had to change their order and order adult meals. There was no age limit specified so how in the hell could leadership do this? You cannot tell someone what they can and cannot eat. I would go straight to MEO.

So, this comes to show how ridiculous everything is getting in the AD. If I were any member of leadership, I would get pissed for someone even bringing this up with me. AD leadership loves to turn small minute issues into really big ones while the important issues are put by the wayside. Talk about a waste of time and priorities being way out of whack. Unbelievable. And leadership is wondering why everyone is leaving the Air Force as fast as rats jumping from a burning ship.

Edited by Cornholio5
  • Upvote 1

Ok, here's a doozie.

A buddy of mine that is currently stationed at a UPT base told me about an issue concerning graduation meals that has caused quite a stir amongst leadership. Apparently the meals that are served for graduation banquets at the club are, to quote Rodney Dangerfield, "low-grade dog food." One of the IPs for the last graduation ordered a kids meal and said it was much better, so this time through, all the IPs ordered kids meals. Somehow, Wing leadership got a hold of this information and the SQ/CC called the FLT/CC in and rolled him up for it. All IPs then had to change their order and order adult meals. There was no age limit specified so how in the hell could leadership do this? You cannot tell someone what they can and cannot eat. I would go straight to MEO.

So, this comes to show how ridiculous everything is getting in the AD. If I were any member of leadership, I would get pissed for someone even bringing this up with me. AD leadership loves to turn small minute issues into really big ones while the important issues are put by the wayside. Talk about a waste of time and priorities being way out of whack. Unbelievable. And leadership is wondering why everyone is leaving the Air Force as fast as rats jumping from a burning ship.

Between this and the club trying to charge triple for booze at UPT class events, it's a wonder studs bother with them at all these days..but then again I guess in places like Del Shitto, you don't really have a ton of places to go.