What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

We get that too, but now we also get an additional hour a quarter for resiliency. Which has classes you have to sign up for, and if you're late you get a nasty gram and turned away. Oh.. and they're looking for more trainers as well.

Had a suicide attempt on base this past weekend and the Wing CC was all, "I don't understand why people would do that."

Really dude.. get in touch.

Better than the new yearly resiliency class, that people have said takes all day. Same deal have to sign up for it or catch it during a wing resiliency day.

I have an IA coming up and I need to take my PT test to outprocess, which makes me wonder if I did fail it, would I still get deployed? My guess is probably, and I'm sure there'd still be some mandatory fun when I got to Kandahar. Of course I'm going to take it and pass before I deploy since my only real motivation is not to be hassled.

What I learned in my mobility job is that you only need a current PFT, not a passing one, to deploy. Of course, this can create real problems if you go somewhere you can't re-test and your OPR closes out while you are deployed.

I'm willing to bet it's not as ridiculous as the "SAPR obstacle course" we recently had during SAPR/Wingman day. I could barely contain my excitement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoa, an obstacle course? Sounds like "fun"! Seriously, who makes this shit up?

Ignorance. When I was enlisted, I would have never imagined all of the bullshit additional duties pilots and other aircrew are responsible for. Out of all of the squadrons I was assigned to while I was enlisted, I've never seen an officer higher ranking than a Lt get an additional duty they didn't volunteer for. At the first flying squadron I worked at, a Lt Col was the DTS monitor. That was the additional duty an A1C was responsible for at my last squadron.

From what I've gathered over the years through various conversations, the vast majority of people outside the flightline (and even some on it) truly think we only fly, and when not flying are fucking around in the bar or otherwise not really do anything important. That leads them to the idea that pilots have a super easy life and have won the lottery. Just about everyone of them I've politely informed are speechlessly shocked when I tell them a quick 1-2 min description of the average pilot's "work life." They're so shocked that some of them had a questioning look as if I was spouting hyperbole to the Nth degree. I long ago concluded most of the non-ops people will truly never get it and there's little you can do to change that.

That said, the support folks who do get it are worth a million bucks and knowing one or two of them at your base can make a massive difference in getting the job done.

Edited by brabus
  • Upvote 2

A lot of additional duties will go back to the CSS's once the UMD's for each unit update to have support personnel back in the squadron. One of the dumbest moves by Air Staff was to take away CSS's.

Agreed, but the devil is in the details. Some squadrons got zero people when this happened last year. Hopefully, those problems get fixed when fully implemented.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

A lot of additional duties will go back to the CSS's once the UMD's for each unit update to have support personnel back in the squadron. One of the dumbest moves by Air Staff was to take away CSS's.

When exactly is that supposed to happen again? Are they happening at other bases?

Edited by Fuzz

From what I've gathered over the years through various conversations, the vast majority of people outside the flightline (and even some on it) truly think we only fly, and when not flying are fucking around in the bar or otherwise not really do anything important.

God, I love being a Reservist.
  • Upvote 3

Agreed, but the devil is in the details. Some squadrons got zero people when this happened last year. Hopefully, those problems get fixed when fully implemented.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

We have a new CSS comm type airman working in our squadron, it's taken her more than a month to get people folder access. She is pretty much useless.

Unfunded mandate. Someone forgot to coordinate that announcement correctly at the Air Staff to ensure the good idea was accompanied by actual personnel plus ups. CSS re start plan did not include any actual billets so essentially nothing but a good sound bite. I wish I hadn't spent 6 months in a job where I had to learn that...

Essentially, your CSS is just a repackaging of your UPC and secretary (if you have one) with new job descriptions.

Unfunded mandate. Someone forgot to coordinate that announcement correctly at the Air Staff to ensure the good idea was accompanied by actual personnel plus ups. CSS re start plan did not include any actual billets so essentially nothing but a good sound bite. I wish I hadn't spent 6 months in a job where I had to learn that...

Essentially, your CSS is just a repackaging of your UPC and secretary (if you have one) with new job descriptions.

Wtf.