What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

He's the real deal:

"Rhatigan, who piloted bombing missions over Afghanistan, pointed to a framed photo on the wall showing several planes on a flightline in southwest Asia representing the Air Force’s three missions: RC-135 and E-8 intelligence planes (global vigilance or “see it and hear it”); C-21 and C-130 cargo planes and a KC-135 refueling plane (global reach) and a sleek B-1 bomber (global power)."

"He has flown them all, including the B-1 bomber, on missions in Afghanistan, where he dropped bombs on enemy convoys. He has also flown C-12, C-141 and C-17 cargo planes."

Source: The Arkansas Leader

"In 2007, Rhatigan was deployed to Manas Air Force Base in Kyrgyzstan.

'I was the commander of combat there,' he said."

Source: ArkansasOnline.com

Inspirational folks!

Yeah, one my greater disillusionments with my Air Force "career" is the engrained airframe stovepiping handed down upon you on drop night. It's like fucking AIDS, one bad night and you're fucked for life. I figure it would do a lot for people's retention if you could experience a lot more airframe mobility in one's career. I about got cured from flying for the military altogether after 4 years of BUFFoonery; that airplane/mission put me to sleep. If it wasn't for the trainer I'm flying now I'd probably would have quit. Once they baptize you with an AFSC and you want to fly something else people act like you're asking for a goddamn Constitutional Amendment. I hear the Navy is a little better in this regard, but have no concrete proof of it. Special flying programs would be cool too. Catching the 3 wire on a carrier would be a sweet entry on the ol logbook.

I know, it's not supposed to be Burger King. But 10 years of the same 3 day-old microwaved Whopper Jr. you didn't order would make anyone crazy though. LOL

Edited by hindsight2020
  • Upvote 1

If you like the leadership at LRAFB, you will love this. Musta been a slow week in tactical airlifting.

http://www.littlerock.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123401734

Once a year, they give this "award" to AAFES. Otherwise, they just rotate it between squadrons. I've always been against it on the grounds that it should go to someone wearing the uniform as opposed to someone who supports it. This circus is absurd at KLRF....that this is who they picked this one time of year? WTF ever.

Once a year, they give this "award" to AAFES. Otherwise, they just rotate it between squadrons. I've always been against it on the grounds that it should go to someone wearing the uniform as opposed to someone who supports it. This circus is absurd at KLRF....that this is who they picked this one time of year? WTF ever.

In all fairness it's not just you guys in Blue.

The Doner stand in Bad Windsheim has a whole wall of awards from every Brigade and Battalion commander going back 15 years..... But it is a really fuckin good Doner.

• Upvote 2

The way things stand now, true. Hopefully leadership digs their heads out and decides to waive ADSCs, otherwise everyone that leaves will be from earlier year groups and the cuts will target specific levels of experience that they shouldn't want to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't follow your logic.

The Air Force is not going to let any 11Fs leave prior to their commitment. They are only going to let 11Ms over "100% manning" leave prior to their commitment (whatever number that is), and if they could manage it (which their track record isn't very good) they would try to TERA/VSP enough 11Ms without letting anyone out of their ADSC to get to "100% manning".

a good portion of the 11M manning has been solved by the powers at AFPC. They took all the 11Ms and the few 11Bs that went to the MC-12 and changed everyone's Core ID to 11R.

Edited by tunes

I think someone mentioned earlier that he was just sand bagging in the B1. AKA other time.

Yea he got the B-1 time when he was the 379 EOG/CC so I wasn't even counting that.

But in terms of real assignments he went C-12 to C-21 to C-141 to C-17 to KC-135 to C-130.

Edited by StoleIt

I don't follow your logic.

The Air Force is not going to let any 11Fs leave prior to their commitment. They are only going to let 11Ms over "100% manning" leave prior to their commitment (whatever number that is), and if they could manage it (which their track record isn't very good) they would try to TERA/VSP enough 11Ms without letting anyone out of their ADSC to get to "100% manning".

So the year group will no longer be a consideration, only AFSC? Interesting take.

Combat/CC...laughable...roger that

Hilarious. I used to JOKE that I was in command of all 379 OG kinetic assets when I would sit Top 3 for the BONES. I didn't know anyone would be serious about it.

• Upvote 2

Yea he got the B-1 time when he was the 379 EOG/CC so I wasn't even counting that.

But in terms of real assignments he went C-12 to C-21 to C-141 to C-17 to KC-135 to C-130.

I would imagine he has little KC-135 time based on when he flew them in his career. He is the anomaly of the post Desert Storm dudes that got to fly something rather than get banked. I knew an old crusty major that flew two types of white jets for about 1.5 years each before he settled down into his MWS.

His "more than 5,000 hours" produced 2 Air Medals and an Aerial Achievement Medal. Impressive.

Bendy

A lot of O-6 types are lacking the hardware of a Post 9-11 AF when they were all Captains and Majors.

I would imagine he has little KC-135 time based on when he flew them in his career. He is the anomaly of the post Desert Storm dudes that got to fly something rather than get banked. I knew an old crusty major that flew two types of white jets for about 1.5 years each before he settled down into his MWS.

He was an MP flight training level "A" on the flight orders when I flew with him. He had no desire to be an IP in the -135. In fact he R&C'd me as an instructor while he was never one in the tanker.

He's actually a pretty good pilot. He flew the -135 pretty well, however most prior -141 drivers fly the -135 well.

And 5,000+ hours in multiple MDS's is nothing to scoff at as an O-6. There are plenty of senior officers out there who barely have 1,500 hours and do everything in their power throughout their career to fly the bare minimum to stay current/qualified.

He's actually a pretty good pilot. He flew the -135 pretty well, however most prior -141 drivers fly the -135 well.

And 5,000+ hours in multiple MDS's is nothing to scoff at as an O-6. There are plenty of senior officers out there who barely have 1,500 hours and do everything in their power throughout their career to fly the bare minimum to stay current/qualified.

Heard that about -141 guys, except for when it came time to flare.

I've seen a number of O-6s with 3,000+ with one Air Medal and zero Aerial Achievement medals. Did they fly a lot? Yes. But what is more telling is where they were flying.

a good portion of the 11M manning has been solved by the powers at AFPC. They took all the 11Ms and the few 11Bs that went to the MC-12 and changed everyone's Core ID to 11R.

Did they change your RDTM?

A lot of O-6 types are lacking the hardware of a Post 9-11 AF when they were all Captains and Majors.

Even I can understand that, but that doesn't matter because it's not about "the hardware" at all.

I don't give two shits how many hours you have, only the airmanship you've gained. I don't give two shits about how many training sorties you've flown, only the competence you gained. I don't give two shits about your 25 Air Medals either...only the deployed experience you gained. You could even be the commander of combat, and it wouldn't mean shit to me. Although, clearly this individual did a bang up job while commander of combat.

Using the number of AFAMs, AFCMs, MSM, etc. one has to judge their ability as an officer and a leader is the exact same thing as using an AAD and PME. It is an example of what's wrong with the Air Force.

As RSD put it, "But what is more telling is where they were flying." There are things that mean something, and there are those that don't. As an organization, we have a pretty decent deficiency in telling one from the other.

Bendy

• Upvote 1

2. Only pilots were applying for VSP, virtually no non-rated line officers did.

To me, this is an obvious one. Joe-blow ROTC grad only has a 4-5 year commitment. The average non-rated officer who wanted out could get out pretty fucking fast compared to pilots who have 10 years plus training. Non-rated officers can pretty much jump ship after each assignment.

How did AFPC not have a plan for discriminating between pilot VSP applications?

Why are boobs good? How does posi-trac work?

While I was working in the UDM office, in a 3 month time frame, three female NCOs got pregnant in the same office at the same time. This act was deliberately to get out of deploying. They all knew each other and joked about it while sitting on their asses for 9 months. Three other people (men) had to deploy short notice to do the mission. They were ill prepared and one of them had just got back from a deployment 5 months prior.

One TSgt looked me in the eyes and told me he couldn't deploy because he just bought a puppy. He still went. Some people try hard to get out of deployments. When people do bullshit like this, you have to start sending people regardless of what their story is.

Keep in mind, this happened to me during my short, three month stint as a UDM assistant.

Edited by one1