What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

Another small victory. New change to AFI 36-2903:

8.3.6. Morale Patches and Tabs. Wing Commanders may authorize the wear of morale
patches on the shoulders of the FDU on Fridays, or during special events. Small morale tabs
may be worn on the exposed Velcro of the left sleeve when the pen pocket cover is removed;
wear is not restricted. Squadron Commanders will approve and maintain a list of acceptable
morale patches and tabs for wear by assigned Airmen.
8.4.5. Nametags. Cloth nametags for FDU/DFDU and flight jackets will be 2 X 4 inches in
size and worn over the left breast pocket. As a minimum, the Aeronautical badge, Space,
Cyberspace or missile operations badges (if awarded) are mandatory and nametags will
contain individual‘s name and rank (rank is mandatory for enlisted personnel). Embroidered
badges will be consistent in color with MAJCOM approved nametag colors. In the case of
subdued nametags, embroidered badges will be black or dark blue in color. MAJCOM
supplements to this instruction will standardize nametags (i.e., background/border colors,
squadron logos, naming convention, etc.). Nametags for Leather A-2 Flying Jacket will be 2
x 4 inches, brown or black leather, simulated leather. Emboss with silver wings or badges,
first and last name, rank, and USAF. Note: Commanders authorized to wear the Command
Insignia pin will wear the insignia on the left side of the nametag. The insignia will be worn
only while performing commander duties. Exception: Wing Commanders may authorize
the wear of morale nametags on Fridays or during special events. Squadron Commanders
will ensure name tags are in good taste and reflect proper military order, discipline, morale,
and image.

8.7. Undergarments. Undergarments are required with the FDU and DFDU. During flight
operations all undergarments, to include cold weather undergarments, must be cotton or fire
retardant material and must be on the safe to fly list maintained by Aircrew Flight Equipment
(AFE). Undershirts will be crewneck style and tan in color. Exception: Wing Commanders
may authorize Airmen to wear a designated unit standardized color undershirt on Fridays, or
during special events.
  • Upvote 9

Let's have some fun with the uniform police!

I'm guessing this new change won't be too publicized...

My plan is to get all decked out on Friday....Friday patches, pencil tab, single name nametag, bright red squadron shirt, and then maybe stroll around MPF or finance...maybe get lost in the MSG building.....phishing for Chiefs.

Of course, I will have the appropriate pages conveniently printed in my pocket to correct said Chief....bye-bye...thanks for playing...your prize is a home version of our game called STFU!!!

Good hunting boys!

Cap-10

• Upvote 3

Another small victory. New change to AFI 36-2903:

Holy shit, I didn't believe you and had to go look for myself! E-9's worldwide must be seething with rage right now.

SUMMARY OF CHANGES

...Changes eliminated athletic shoe color restrictions; authorized black socks with athletic shoes;

...deleted the requirement for reflective belts with the PT uniform (commander’s discretion remains).

• Upvote 1

The AF has realized how many flyers are chomping at the bit to submit VSP/TERA paperwork...they had to do something to improve morale in the midst of their "pilot shortage".

I believe you are correct. I fully expect to see more small "improvements" to the AF in the near future. Too little, too late for most of us.

We do it as well, it's usually the delivery that is much different.

I think it's more of an individual issue, than what rank that person has.

And most officers aren't wholly consumed by uniform corrections, which is the stigma associated with SNCOs.

When you say Officers are you including non-rated Officers? Because non-rated Officers are just as bent on uniform corrections than anyone else. What I don't understand is there's an AFI that says what you can and can't do dress & appearance wise. And for the past 13-years I've adhered to it and haven't had much issues about it. Why is it such a big deal? Do you follow your MDS's Vol 1, 2, and 3? Why not follow this AFI as well?

• Downvote 2

People have corrected various uniform infractions of mine in the past, they were always pretty much spot on. They were also almost always NCO/SNCOs. That being said, the three biggest douche bags that corrected me were all captains.

One captain corrected me because I was wearing a black ankle brace in my PT uniform because I was coming off a bad ankle sprain. He told me I had to go and try to find a white one to wear instead.

The other captain told me my Air Force issued sunglasses were not in regs. I took off the sunglasses and showed him the Air Force symbol on it and he still didn't care.

This isn't a uniform correction, but once again a captain, drove up from behind me as I was walking. He got out of his Air Force van and told me that I had to salute the van because it had the two star placard on it. I said that I didn't see him because he came from behind me but I would look more carefully next time. The van was empty by the way. He said to tell my friends because there was going to be a DV on base next week. He was driving around looking for people that didn't salute the van.

This is definitely not something associated with only SNCOs.

Edited by one1

Why not follow this AFI as well?

"We're past the point of doing everything just because it says so in an [Air Force Instruction]," Welsh said. "If it wastes our time, we should stop, and we should stop today."

• Upvote 6

<words>

The van was empty by the way. He said to tell my friends because there was going to be a DV on base next week. He was driving around looking for people that didn't salute the van.

Copy. Put a general in the van next time and I'll salute it.

People have corrected various uniform infractions of mine in the past, they were always pretty much spot on. They were also almost always NCO/SNCOs. That being said, the three biggest douche bags that corrected me were all captains.

One captain corrected me because I was wearing a black ankle brace in my PT uniform because I was coming off a bad ankle sprain. He told me I had to go and try to find a white one to wear instead.

The other captain told me my Air Force issued sunglasses were not in regs. I took off the sunglasses and showed him the Air Force symbol on it and he still didn't care.

This isn't a uniform correction, but once again a captain, drove up from behind me as I was walking. He got out of his Air Force van and told me that I had to salute the van because it had the two star placard on it. I said that I didn't see him because he came from behind me but I would look more carefully next time. The van was empty by the way. He said to tell my friends because there was going to be a DV on base next week. He was driving around looking for people that didn't salute the van.

This is definitely not something associated with only SNCOs.

Did you correct the captain for having a placard without the DV on board?

• Upvote 4

Did you correct the captain for having a placard without the DV on board?

Exactly. How much fun would it have been to inform the Captain that he was in violation of AFI 34-1201 para 2.30 which clearly states, "An automobile plate indicates the official status or rank of the senior military individual occupying the vehicle. The plate will be removed or covered when the individual for whom the plate is issued is not in the vehicle."

What a douche canoe. You could have also asked to see the completed AF 1800 to ensure that the proper government vehicle inspection had been completed prior to operation.

The only thing that is worse than people wandering around enforcing meaningless AFI's is people wandering around and enforcing incorrect meaningless AFI's.

• Upvote 1

Azimuth

There is a reason that people refer to the uniform correction act as getting "Chiefed" and not as getting Capt'd or Major'd.

While I have been corrected by a Lt for a uniform infraction (honest mistake at the time) it's always the MSgt and above that are in the full out sprint, almost breaking a leg in order to be "first" to nab the uniform criminal.

I was Chiefed at 2am...in the RLB bathroom....at Bagram....in Jan during a snow storm because my unit issued thermals (desert colored to match desert FDU) that I was wearing under my PT/sleeping attire trying not to freeze to death because the heat pump in my room was hard broke, was not the approved black or blue authorized color.

Cap-10

Edit: I type gooder

Edited by Cap-10
  • Upvote 3

Azimuth

There is a reason that people refer to the uniform correction act as getting "Chiefed" and not as getting Capt'd or Major'd.

While I have been corrected by a Lt for a uniform infraction (honest mistake at the time) it's always the MSgt and above that are in the full out sprint, almost breaking a leg in order to be "first" to nab the uniform criminal.

I was Chiefed at 2am...in the RLB bathroom....at Bagram....in Jan during a snow storm because my unit issued thermals (desert colored to match desert FDU) that I was wearing under my PT/sleeping attire trying not to freeze to death because the eat pump in my room was hard broke, was not the approved black or blue authorized color.

Cap-10

Copy, however the underlying tone that I always see on this forum is that SNCO's only job in life are to "Chief" Officers and fellow Enlisted about uniform infractions, which is obviously not true. I do agree that some folks need to be reminded where their place is in a military hierarchy and tact when talking to senior ranking individuals. On the flip side it's very frustrating to tell the A1C Boom Operator to wear their uniform correctly when CGO/FGO's that are in our Sq and fly on our crews don't.