What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

Great thread. Thought you guys might like this article about the Navy's side of the dysfunctional DOD family. This is the first time in my 9 years that I've seen someone above the O-4 level write about how FUBAR Naval Aviation has become. Written by no less than a former Secretary of the Navy.

http://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2011-09/naval-aviation-culture-dead

Awesome article & commentary.

...proudly wears a Maintenance badge. It seems like 99% of the problems in the SNCO corps are non-maintainers.

Agree 100% with that statement. I also wore my Maintenance badge (and missileman bagde, a gift from my 1980s SAC days) with pride. In my 24 yrs every maintainer I knew from Airman Newguy to the SNCOs there wasn't one that wasn't mission focused. Heck, we barley had enough time to get the jets FMC and maintain the 8 hr fix rate let alone memorize songs and creeds. We didn't have time for that stuff.

Agree 100% with that statement. I also wore my Maintenance badge (and missileman bagde, a gift from my 1980s SAC days) with pride. In my 24 yrs every maintainer I knew from Airman Newguy to the SNCOs there wasn't one that wasn't mission focused. Heck, we barley had enough time to get the jets FMC and maintain the 8 hr fix rate let alone memorize songs and creeds. We didn't have time for that stuff.

I am more proud of my SAC Master and Journeyman Crew Chief Award/Patch RC-135V/W than any other medal or other award I earned.Even more than my time with the 89th at ADW. If I remember right the mx badge was the only occupational around besides the cops before the USAF played everybody gets a trophy.

Awesome article & commentary.

Indeed.

Aviators have been the principal source of offensive thinking, best described by Napoleon as "L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!" (Audacity, audacity, always audacity!) Those attributes of naval aviators—willingness to take intelligent calculated risk, self-confidence, even a certain swagger—that are invaluable in wartime are the very ones that make them particularly vulnerable in today's zero-tolerance Navy military . The political correctness thought police, like Inspector Javert in Les Misérables, are out to get them and are relentless.

Shack.

Edited by Bergman

I am more proud of my SAC Master and Journeyman Crew Chief Award/Patch RC-135V/W than any other medal or other award I earned.Even more than my time with the 89th at ADW. If I remember right the mx badge was the only occupational around besides the cops before the USAF played everybody gets a trophy.

Hey Prosuper, we may have crossed paths. I was an EW troop on the RC's at Offutt from '87 - '94. If you were there at that time, let me know....

Hey Prosuper, we may have crossed paths. I was an EW troop on the RC's at Offutt from '87 - '94. If you were there at that time, let me know....

I did my RJ time in EGUN 84 to 86. Used to curse Offutt of what they used to send me.

What’s wrong with the USAF, nothing if you’re content with out fighting? I’ve been the “Force”

for 13 years and I’m trying to transfer from blue to green for the opportunity to fight (for real). What the “F” is a Warrior ethos for non combatants (90% of the USAF")……

This post brought to you by Jack Daniel's. Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

:jd:

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

So I just got a "lessons learned" email from a security incident where somebody left classified unsecured on a jet. The conclusion was that "The incident occurred due to failure to comply with established safeguarding procedures" and the recommended solution was that... wait for it... "Additional safeguards be created and implemented within the organization." Yeah, sounds good. People aren't following established procedures, so lets invent even more processes and procedures.

Similarly, it was determined that since people can't follow established dash-one procedures and reset the EFCS during the before taxi checklist to prevent taking off in mechanical mode, the obvious solution was to duplicate the exact same checklist step in the lineup checklist. WTF

Similarly, it was determined that since people can't follow established dash-one procedures and reset the EFCS during the before taxi checklist to prevent taking off in mechanical mode, the obvious solution was to duplicate the exact same checklist step in the lineup checklist. WTF

Sounds like a step in the 135 descent check involving the boom letting us know the boom is stowed and latched... still....

So I just got a "lessons learned" email from a security incident where somebody left classified unsecured on a jet. The conclusion was that "The incident occurred due to failure to comply with established safeguarding procedures" and the recommended solution was that... wait for it... "Additional safeguards be created and implemented within the organization." Yeah, sounds good. People aren't following established procedures, so lets invent even more processes and procedures.

Got that too. Just wait for change 5 to the Dash1. I'm sure many will say wtf...

Overemphasis of alcohol related incidents. I'm not saying people should drink and drive or become belligerent but people don't seem to be getting the benefit of the doubt. I'm beggining to think that you could call a cab to take you home because you were responsible and the cab gets into an accident, it will be labeled an ARI.

Got that too. Just wait for change 5 to the Dash1. I'm sure many will say wtf...

On the up side, It'd be another excuse to go to the pubs office and flirt with Twilight Girl and Rawberry Shortcake (she's not very friendly).

On the up side, It'd be another excuse to go to the pubs office and flirt with Twilight Girl and Rawberry Shortcake (she's not very friendly).

Pictures required. Tell them you are conducting research into customers service across the AF.

• 2 weeks later...

In the Herk world the Lineup checklist itself was an "Additional safeguard" that was "created and implemented" because guys were forgeting steps on the Before take off checklist.

Announced today during Red Flag Alaska:

From now on, every morning a senior officer will be posted at the entrance to the Red Flag building. Any pilot seen entering the building in the morning without a reflective belt on will be grounded, and will not fly in Red Flag.

From now on, every morning a senior officer will be posted at the entrance to the Red Flag building. Any pilot seen entering the building in the morning without a reflective belt on will be grounded, and will not fly in Red Flag.

UFB.

Is this for real?