What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

Oh no!! Not the "threat" of Cannon!!

AFSOC isn't perfect but it still is an organization to be proud of. While AMC was still figuring out how to support Haiti, CCT had the airport open with Talons and AFSOC slicks ferrying people out of the country. Col Elton was putting his career on the line to free up ramp space and get people the medical attention they deserved. And that counted for HRT's ORI. Not a bad outing for AFSOC.

Great read in the Small Wars Journal on his experiences in Haiti. It was pretty incredible hearing how they mastered the chaos and saved countless lives.

Haiti: Boots on the Ground Perspective by Col Buck Elton

355-elton.pdf

Wow, apparently this is gaining quite a following over here. Glad to see there's at least a few people left in the AF who recognize BS when they see it.

From that thread:

As I previously stated in this thread, I am at this particular base and this is absolutely true. So I do have his name (which I won't post), and I have actually gotten this particular email. Heck, the base has already been mentioned a few times, so anyone should be able to find out his name, if you're really interested.

And as for the whole "5MT" deal, he also has 1-Meter Targets posted. This message is just as long, and deals with personal appearance and such. I have yet to see any sort of message from him that is not at least 4 pages long.

Please SOMEONE post one of his previous messages.

I think it was posted somewhere else but here it is again, it it's edited format.

ASAB Team,

Before I get into the immediate 1-meter Targets listed below, I’d like to describe a theory intended to illustrate WHY you’ll be seeing increased attention being given to uniform/grooming standards here at ASAB. This theory, developed by a couple of political scientists named Wilson and Keating, was given tons of air-time by Mayor Rudy Giuliani when he began a crusade against crime in NYC. When the Mayor began his campaign he was met with all kinds of resistance from dissidents expressing reasons why the plan wouldn’t work…. After-all, NYC was considered the crime-capital of the US at the time. Using the philosophical perspectives behind the “broken windows theory”, Rudy G. was able to reverse-engineer MANY of the inner-city woes back to a common reference point or “starting line”. That turning point began as broken windows or graffiti started appearing in a neighborhood… relatively inconsequential things when paired against gang-violence, drug offenses and murder. To span that gap, the theory suggested that broken windows and graffiti told the people living in the neighborhood that small things like appearance, pride, and enforcing low-end standards didn’t matter. Before too long, more broken windows and graffiti would spread-out from these original epicenters and eventually turn parts of the city into war-zones…and establish new thresholds for what the local population considered normal or allowable. It was like an “Apathy Bomb” that had fallout raining on everyone. Prostitution, panhandling, drug-deals, and robbery became the norms in most run-down places because the root cause (apathy) was the flavor of the month/year/decade etc. The first step Rudy needed to take was to hit the root cause…the outward displays of broken rules and the other physical manifestations of apathy. Within a few years, this enforcement of a new baseline would revive NYC, instill pride, and earn it the reputation as one of the safest cities in America. In NYC today…the broken windows are fixed immediately & the law-breakers are targeted with vigor.

So, why does that matter here? Because there are quite a few broken windows that we’re going to start fixing – beginning with Uniform & Grooming standards. If you’re a broken window, there’ll be a few people doing maintenance on you. That way the threshold will be clear.

Target 1. Grooming standards apply in the PTU. That means males will be clean-shaven in public…unless on a shaving waiver. Shaving waivers will be carried by those on waiver…in every uniform. It needs to be current or you are out of our uniform standards. In addition… If you look like you’re on day two of a shaving hiatus…expect to be addressed. Yes, I realize that some will get beard growth faster than others…but I don’t expect to be confronted by Grizzly Adams out on the street or in the DFAC.

BOTTOM LINE HERE: YOUR military image should be personal, like the reflection in your mirror. When you step into public view it becomes the military image of ASAB…and I’m not down with an inappropriate image being reflected against the rest of us.

Target 2. Mustaches. If you wear one, it will be worn properly. Tom Selleck’s, Pancho Villa’s and Robin Old’s mustaches do not meet the AF standard. Period. For ease in reference, I’ve included a picture for those of you who may be visual learners. If you’re approached by me or someone else scoping-out your ‘stache…it may be because you’re pretty close to the vertical line. It’s not personal…just 100% professional. If anything, I hope everyone takes a look in a mirror at least once during the day for a vector-check on ALL standards. NOTE: Some folks may actually think that purposefully wearing a mustache “out of regs” is cool. Think again, since your example is far from cool & the people in your leadership chain might start questioning your commitment to other standards.

Mustache wear STANDARD: AFI 36-2903 Excerpt: para 3.1.2.2. Mustaches. Male Airmen may have mustaches; however they will be conservative (moderate, being within reasonable limits; not excessive or extreme) and will not extend downward beyond the lip line of the upper lip or extend sideways beyond a vertical line drawn upward from both corners of the mouth. See Figure 1, to reference points B, C, and D.

BOTTOM LINE HERE: Everyone who converses with you in a business or personal capacity will immediately see your lack of regard for the standards..it will be as plain as the nose on your face (or what’s under it).

Figure 1 USAF Mustache ad Sideburn Standards

Target 3. Untucked shirts or rolled-sleeves in the PTU: I’ve heard every excuse in the book…but have also seen some validated issues. If the shirt is tucked into the shorts PROPERLY (not “bloused” over the waist-band) and the shorts drawstring is cinched-up (not left baggy like MC-Hammer pants from the 90’s)…you can probably run like a scalded cheetah and it isn’t coming out. I’ve actually tested the theory on folks before…and they’d probably collapse from exhaustion before the shirt popped out. If it does, you are part of the 1% that has a longer torso than the shirts were made to support. If it comes out…tuck it back in immediately and you’ll be fine. There isn’t a 3-step or 30-second rule in effect. Do it as soon as you can.

BOTTOM LINE HERE: I don’t care what you think about the standards…they are still the standard, so keep you out of it. If I had the option, I’d do a lot of things differently….but I don’t.

Target 4. Rolled sleeves in the DFDU: Easy to spot since everyone else across the AOR can’t push their uniform sleeves up (and most folks know that requirement). DFDU “no-roll” sleeve guidance is documented in AFI 36-2903’s at the Air Force, CENTCOM, AFCENT and ASAB levels. Not sure why it’s reiterated in every single level of our uniform standards…but regardless of the “alleged” overkill, it still seems to be an issue.

BOTTOM LINE HERE: In much the same way that Aviation checklist discipline is important…uniform standards discipline is also significant…it tells us how to maintain the Human Weapons System.

Target 5. Tobacco use in unauthorized areas: Way too much evidence to support a lack of integrity in this area. Cigarette butts thrown near buildings (which probably means folks are smoking right outside the doors). Besides the

wanton disregard for other people’s health, the wanton disregard for our shared community spaces also needs to be addressed. I cannot begin to tell you how diametrically opposed I am to having non-smokers clean-up after smokers. So smokers should expect further activity in this realm very soon if self-policing doesn’t work. If the rule-breakers can’t be reigned-in, we’ll possibly be looking at dropping the number of designated tobacco use areas in the B400 areas down to ONE.

BOTTOM LINE: Want to get on a recurring cigarette-butt clean-up crew? Break the rules and you’ll probably be in the starting lineup.

REQUIREMENT – Help fix these issues…and don’t let our cultural “norms” transform into anything less than full/mandatory compliance. Attack apathy early…and often if necessary. If you need help…elevate to someone who can.

BOTTOM LINE: Leaders at all levels need to do two things. Meet the standards personally…and ensure compliance in those who don’t. The broken windows can’t all be fixed by just a select few since this isn’t a spectator sport. Start with you…and work your way out. If someone informs you of a shortfall…be thankful. That person is simply doing their DUTY…and actually cares enough about you to say something.

ROCK BOTTOM LINE: Don’t get confused and think that all of the aforementioned things are “Chief Xxxxxxxx's” requirements. Nope. Those are the result of 74 years of history/heritage. All of those requirements are purposefully stated in AFI’s signed-out by General Officers and by YOUR Wing Commander. They are also enforceable under Articles 92 and 134 of the UCMJ. Make no mistake about it…we simply execute policies, standards and directives…our Commanders create them...and the cycle will continue for the next 74 years - with, or without us.

V/R

Chief Xxxxxxxx

BOTTOM LINE HERE: In much the same way that Aviation checklist discipline is important…uniform standards discipline is also significant…it tells us how to maintain the Human Weapons System.

ROCK BOTTOM LINE: Don't get confused and think that all of the aforementioned things are "Chief Xxxxxxxx's" requirements. Nope. Those are the result of 74 years of history/heritage. All of those requirements are purposefully stated in AFI's signed-out by General Officers and by YOUR Wing Commander. They are also enforceable under Articles 92 and 134 of the UCMJ. Make no mistake about it…we simply execute policies, standards and directives…our Commanders create them...and the cycle will continue for the next 74 years - with, or without us.

V/R

Chief Xxxxxxxx

Almost spit my coffee out on the HWS line--that is funny! And what's so significant about 1937 WRT USAF? Way to set the example for your troops Chief. How can I expect you to lead if you don't know the history of my Air Force or just plain suck at math?

Almost spit my coffee out on the HWS line--that is funny! And what's so significant about 1937 WRT USAF? Way to set the example for your troops Chief. How can I expect you to lead if you don't know the history of my Air Force or just plain suck at math?

Yeap...his human weapon system is off by about ten years.

Probably spent too much time trying memorize the AF Creed and song...

What's wrong with the Air Force?

The Air Force used to be this:

Robin_Olds_during_vietnam_war.jpg

And now the Air Force is this:

DSW-01.jpg

ROCK BOTTOM LINE: Don’t get confused and think that all of the aforementioned things are “Chief Xxxxxxxx's” requirements. Nope. Those are the result of 74 years of history/heritage. All of those requirements are purposefully stated in AFI’s signed-out by General Officers and by YOUR Wing Commander. They are also enforceable under Articles 92 and 134 of the UCMJ. Make no mistake about it…we simply execute policies, standards and directives…our Commanders create them...and the cycle will continue for the next 74 years - with, or without us.

V/R

Chief Xxxxxxxx

Well Chief REMF you can take that "history/heritage" and do the following:

1) Roll it in a cone

2) Sit on it and spin

3) Recite Airman's Creed

I fear the day when I am in combat, and right before I engage a target I get asked "Did you fill out the form properly? You are not allowed to engage the target because you didn't check the box properly."

• Upvote 2

Ahhh yes. The Human Weapon System - how could I forget that little gem. Choke yourself.

His name and pic are already posted. Here is his bio from what I assume is his home base:

MOASC (Mother of All Shoe Clerks)

Spent way too much time in AETC, absolutely zero SA and mission awareness. No real world experiance.

Because there are quite a few broken windows that we’re going to start fixing – beginning with Uniform & Grooming standards.

Really? That's your first "broken window?" Not any of the "small" failures I see daily when people are fooking up their primary duties? And I'm glad we're being treated like criminals (literally) in that there is no room for discretion or judgement, good thing we got all those fancy master's degrees and years of flight training.

The line that borrows from Patton saying "if you can't roll your sleeves down how do I know you're gonna complete all items on the checklist" is literally the #1 problem I've seen in shoe clerk mentality...seen it from desert diamonds while deployed and wing leadership while at home. It assumes the human mind is not capable of judgement or weighing the importance of one task vs another. We might as well all be robots with that outlook...robots with hitler-esque mustaches and tucked in shirts.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 1

Spent way too much time in AETC, absolutely zero SA and mission awareness. No real world experiance.

Secondary problem: He's a comm guy, aka a member of the second most worthless and under-performing career field I've ever seen (right behind Finance). Always a battle...thanks Comm.

• Upvote 1

The line that borrows from Patton saying "if you can't roll your sleeves down how do I know you're gonna complete all items on the checklist" is literally the #1 problem I've seen in shoe clerk mentality...seen it from desert diamonds while deployed and wing leadership while at home. It assumes the human mind is not capable of judgement or weighing the importance of one task vs another. We might as well all be robots with that outlook...robots with hitler-esque mustaches and tucked in shirts.

Shack.

Shack! Out of a 27 year career, he has spent roughly 20 years in AETC. In fact, he has never had a CONUS assignment that wasn't AETC. WTFO??

Totally out of touch.

ASSIGNMENTS

AETC 1. July 1984 -- October 1986, Mainframe Computer System Operator, 1958th Communication Squadron, Reese AFB, Texas

USAFE 2. October 1986 -- June 1989, assistant NCO-in-charge, Info System Branch, 612th Tactical Control Flight, Pruem AS, Germany

AETC 3. June 1989 -- January 1994, supervisor, Database Management, 325th Communications Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.

AETC 4. January 1994 -- February 1997, Communications-Computer Systems manager, Headquarters, Air Education and Training Command, Directorate of Communications and Information,

Randolph AFB, Texas

PACAF 5. February 1997 -- February 1998, superintendent, Air Force Network Control Center, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea

AETC 6. February 1998 - September 1999, command manager, Telecomm Operations, Headquarters, Air Education and Training Command, Directorate of Communications and Information,

Randolph AFB, Texas

AETC 7. September 1999 -- September 2003, superintendent, Network Operations and Security Center Configuration, Air Education and Training Command Computer Systems Squadron,

Randolph AFB, Texas

AETC 8. September 2003 -- September 2005, Command Information Systems inspection manager, Office of the Inspector General, Headquarters, Air Education and Training Command,

Randolph AFB, Texas

USAFE 9. September 2005 -- May 2008, chief enlisted manager, 48th Communications Squadron, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, England

USAFE 10. May 2008 -- June 2009, group superintendent, 48th Mission Support Group, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, England

AETC 11. June 2009 -- present, command chief master sergeant, 71st Flying Training Wing, Vance AFB, Okla.

Hey Chief, While you were busy chasing that mouse around the room, did you happen to notice the hungry lion eyeballing you from the corner? His name is "Mission." Great job missing that 1M target, shitbag.

If any of you aircrew Os are out walking around ASAB and this douchenozzle quizzes any of your Es on this creed, interrupt them, tell them to recite their Boldface, and press. Then explain to the Chief that your airmen have more important things in their "1 and 5M zones."

• Upvote 1

TAC Airlifter wrote this a while back in another thread. Hope you don't mind the repost, but it's spot on.

The conceptual idea that one absolutely must get the uniform standard right all the time or you simply aren't qualified to fight the war is fundamentally flawed. The true professional puts everything on a hierarchy of importance, a hierarchy that changes depending on many variables. As operators we're very comfortable living like this, and we usually call it SA. Sometimes your gas state is the most important thing, sometimes it's the weather, sometimes it's the mission then the icing on your wings, and when the critical part of the mission is over you RTB the area because now the icing is most important. The hierarchy is always changing, and a good flyer stays aware of what's at the top and the handful of items under it. This idea of juggling a group of variables which all slide up and down the priority list used to confuse the shit out of me in pilot training, resulting in my average performance. But with a few thousand hours it's natural to all of us.

And I think this is why we all know his argument is bullshit, but an articulate response is hard because the concept is so simple. We think "of course my mission planning is more important than having my sleeves rolled down." Or "of course I put my sunglasses on my head, I'm doing shit with my hands."

And that's the issue with this guy, and this entire school of thought with non-operators that if you can't get the uniform right how can you fly an airplane? They think "how can you possibly do the important things when you can't get this thing right?" And we think "how can you possibly worry about the unimportant things when there are so many others that matter?" Of course our perspective is right and theirs is wrong. We prove that by flying successful missions everyday wearing baseball hats with a dip in our mouth; and if they understood priorities they wouldn't correct an officer about a minor uniform violation by yelling at him in public-- a customs and courtesies breach that manifests their inability to differentiate importance levels between issues.

The only possible fix to our plight (two incompatible schools of thought) is leadership. Leadership must set the standard and leadership must judge what is most important when. And of course, leadership is what we are mostly lacking. Approaching the end of my commitment, this is a pretty strong argument for me to stay and try to fix it.

• Upvote 2

Found this buried in the Military Times forum about this E-9...apparently the Chaplain pulled him aside and basically asked him WTF was he thinking...

"BLUF: Answers to Airman’s Creed and Air Force Song requirements.

Never thought I’d be compelled to answer the “Why’s” on this AGAIN, but after the Wing Chaplain asked for a sit-down with me this morning he passed on a perspective I hadn’t thought about.

The Chaplain was worried about all the negative talk, blogs, and emails floating around cyberspace about my 5MT’s that he wanted to make sure I was aware of it. I told him that I was aware of everything since day 1, since I somewhat expected it. This wasn’t the first time I had used this particular 5MT. Then he asked me for more in-depth reasons behind the 5MTs I issue to the Enlisted, so I provided a few STRATEGIC reasons in short order. Basically, because he asked. After that short discussion, he fervently asked that I share those with you as well. I said that I would do so eventually…but he asked me again “with conviction” that I do it sooner as opposed to later. So I will.

Here goes:

In my first 5MT email I talked about changing the way we execute the Airman’s Creed and AF Song in public forums. Forums that are hosted by the Wing CC…my Boss. In other 5MT’s I talked about wear of the uniform issues and representing your units while you’re out and about on this base. You were asked to be Wingmen, Leaders, and Warriors in those regards as well.

Now why would those be important? Two very basic reasons. Uniformity and discipline.

Great in theory, but only worthwhile if we have an execution piece. That execution piece is right in front of us…and will continue to grow.

Over the course of the next few months all eyes will be on this wing. Many high-level officials will be coming here to put eyes on our efforts. Senators, Congressmen, Service Secretaries, Senior COCOM leaders, and maybe even higher. Many of those folks will request an Airman’s call where we pack a couple hundred people into our Theater for a forum.

As is the tradition, those forums will afford us TWO times where WE can execute something as a WING. Those times are when we recite the AC and sing the AFS. The very first time we did this as a wing was in a word…embarrassing. We can’t have that happen.

Since 90% of those voices will be ENLISTED, 90% of the opportunity to show uniformity in those LIMITED engagements will be OURS. Similarly, 90% of the opportunity to look disjointed will be ours as well. Say what you may, but this is where we can collectively show pride for those Marauders not in attendance . Granted, there’s no technical sense or mission sense in reciting the Creed or Singing the Song. But for those who can and will, you can make a statement about being an American Airman and a Marauder. I’m confident that we’ll display being of one function, form, and voice during those Airman’s calls on the horizon. One of those is tomorrow afternoon and the CC will be leading us all in the Airman’s Creed and the AF Song. We won’t let him down.

Our elected officials won’t get to see us perform at the tactical level and won’t watch our Aircrews as they maintain a 98% mission effectiveness rate. They won’t see the countless hours on post or our “hot & dirty” maintainers turning wrenches on the flight line. They’ll mostly get a mission brief and driving tour before an Airman’s call. What I hope they DO see in the Airman’s calls is the equivalent of the Pacific Islands’ “Haka”…a coordinated activity executed in unison to show that all of us are inextricable joined in the fight. Will this “Haka” make us play or fight better. No. Will it force our spectators to take notice? I can almost guarantee it.

Our visitors will see very few Airman in the trenches. They’ll drive by and see people walking about. Their uniforms and personal grooming will speak for the wing as well. Good or bad…uniform wear is also a voice. The way we’re represented will speak for our entire service…especially if the viewing party is a coalition leader or US Government official.

Finally, to clear-up the misconception about calling people out. Here’s how that will go down. It’s not going to be me doing the majority of the call-outs. It will primarily be the Junior Airmen calling us senior folks out. SFS folks are doing it now. Honor Guard members are doing that now. Sure, the CC and I have asked for gathered groups to recite in unison. Those who could…did. So, will I ever make a public spectacle of someone over this? Absolutely not. Will I ever humiliate someone over this? Never. Do I still expect folks to know it. Absolutely yes. Ask around…there haven’t been any Airmen singled out to recite. There have been groups though. And every sortie went perfectly.

BOTTOM LINE: I guarantee that some will continue to poke holes and cast dispersions into this exercise in uniformity, leadership, and followership. Have at it. Some will argue that the words to the Creed are all just words. I guess that’s where the basic problem begins and ends.

ROCK BOTTOM LINE: I’m more interested in the mission than ANYTHING else. I am more interested in our Airman than in our stuff. I am more interested in Professional Development than in making sure nobody gets their feelings hurt. I expect good order and discipline. And, if you remembered this from previous emails…I asked all of US to make the AC personal to you…especially since those stanzas begin with I.

V/R"