What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

I knew this would happen when I saw an influx of Mormon officers joining the ranks 15 year ago. They are all policy makers now! (just joking Mormons)

Seriously? WTF is this AF coming to?! Are the WG/CCs really still wondering why the clubs are failing? Back when they were happening places, clubs were making the majority of their revenue on alcohol....period. Take that away, and don't be at all surprised that the clubs are going broke. Doesn't matter how many memberships you get...if you dry up the club, you can kiss the clubs goodbye.

I remember a time when the overseas clubs (Spanghalem/Ramstein) were happening places. GoGo dancers. Shit, even when I was young LT at Vance, they were still letting the girls from downtown on base to partake in the club festivities. (I know, that isn't saying much, but as a single LT...booty is booty).

Not only is this not my Dad's Air Force anymore...it is looking like it is not my AF anymore. Time to take my drinking problems somewhere else. Times a'changin fellas! Good luck everyone else...we're all counting on you!

• Upvote 4

http://www.jqpublic-blog.com/another-commander-sacked-air-force-unrecognized-ethical-tailspin/

"In February of this year, the commander of the 19th Airlift Wing relieved Lt. Col. Blair Kaiser of command of the 30th Airlift Squadron, an active duty C-130 unit embedded within the Wyoming Air National Guard. The news came as an absolute shock to Kaiser and his 200+ airmen. He’d just returned from commanding a deployed squadron in Afghanistan, a job he’d done with great distinction despite having been dispatched on short notice almost immediately after being given command of the 30th."

Looks like there may be another case reminiscent of Lt. Col. Perry.

• Upvote 2

^ Worth the read, as are the comments.

Commander's get fired, that's reality. But the OG and Wing shuffling the old boss out the door with a gag order, never acknowledging why it happened, or how it could have been prevented, is a shame. That the man was later cleared of any wrongdoing, yet his career remains railroaded while those who leveled false accusations and those who fired him without cause remain unscathed, is much, much worse.

The comments on the JQP Facebook post has nothing but overt praise for this guy, which I think speaks volumes that his only detractor to come forward so far has nothing but wild and disproven accusations and has done so anonymously. There are always two sides to the story but so far only half of one side is being told because the other refuses to provide any info. It would seem that a commander that was fired for misconduct would go away quietly and not wish his story to be blasted across the internet.

As someone who was stationed with Kaiser and had Rat as a Commander, I'm not surprised by the story.

Surprised that he was fired or surprised it turned out this way? And hasn't Col. Rhatigan's name been mentioned before on BODN?

I'd heard rumors about Kaiser's DUI, but that was before my time. I also had heard rumors about him getting friendly with the CSS and Intel Airmen when they were deployed circa 2003, but never proven. I know he blacklisted some Herk guys from the 89th when he was the recruiting officer. I'm friends with his Load Superintendent and he has nothing but positive praise for Kaiser, and he was stationed with him before. So YMMV.

He's no saint, but neither is Rat (considering his old Sq failed an ASEV right after he PCS'd unscathed), but Rat is connected and in the driver's seat. I saw him do shady shit as well to people's lives so I'm not surprised about all of this.

Edited by Azimuth

... But the OG and Wing shuffling the old boss out the door with a gag order, ...

How in the world do you fire someone and then issue a gag order? Even if it involved something classified that could merit a legitimate gag order, surely the rule/law broken is unclassified. Sounds like an automatic IG/Congressional complaint or even straight to a lawsuit.

I'm reading a book that I think details some of what is missing in the Air Force. It doesn't really fit in the "military books" thread, so I'll throw it down here.

Invisibles: The Power of Anonymous Work in an Age of Relentless Self-Promotion By David Zweig

He profiles people in various skilled career fields whose craft goes largely unnoticed (and who are intrinsically motivated), but the success of their effort is inherent to the success of the organization. His three identified traits are : 1) Ambivalence toward recognition, 2) Meticulousness, and 3) Savoring of responsibility. It's an attitude and approach you still see in maintenance crews, comm guys, and aircrew, just one you wish you saw more of. I think it's worth the read.

JQP posted a copy of the referral OPR and the rebuttal/supporting documents on his FB page.

Looks like he's trying to put in some real effort to help.

Edited by Champ Kind

Disproportionate number of personnel not engaged or trained as war-fighters.

Why is the Senior Rater on his OPR the WYANG Wing King, and not Rhatigan? Yet Rhatigan ordered his removal. This isn't how every other TFI in the MAF rates. This is very shady. Good on him keeping all of his support documentation.

Edited by Azimuth

Why is the Senior Rater on his OPR the WYANG Wing King, and not Rhatigan? Yet Rhatigan ordered his removal. This isn't how every other TFI in the MAF rates. This is very shady. Good on him keeping all of his support documentation.

I believe it was changed a year or two ago that their performance reports would routed through the WYANG. Their PRFs still go through the 19th though. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.