What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

Subject: Outlining expectations and policy

XXXXXX,

A couple of recent incidents are prompting this squadron advisory email so please read and heed.

1. Leave beyond the local area WILL NOT be approved after BDOS. Local area is somewhat subjective but if you can't be recalled to the squadron within 2 hours then you will probably be denied. This is completely subject to my discretion so please be ready to explain your leave plan to me prior to approval. If I approve your local area leave and you have uncompleted pre-deployment prep or job related handoff then expect your leave to be cancelled at anytime.

2. Take charge of your deployment and major life events. Babies generally require 9-10 months to be fully operational post merge. There is plenty of time for you and your wife to execute the merge, deploy and return for your baby's solo flight. If you choose to advise me of your upcoming major life event with less than 7.5 months notice then you are failing to take charge of your deployment and are completely at my mercy. If you can't plan for your own future I have no pity. Come talk to me and I will help you evaluate your options. Bottom line, waive your dwell, deploy and return in time for your major life event and you have taken charge of your life and your wife and country will celebrate your sacrifice. If you desire to acquire a wife/husband with which to execute the merge then you should also consider taking charge of your major life event in a similar fashion.

I am quickly becoming the evil and soulless field grade officer that the Air Force desires.

XXXXXXXXXX, Maj, USAF

XXX RS Assistant Director of Operations

Beale AFB, CA

I love the internet. See above for a good reason not to lead via email.

Chuck

• Upvote 1

2. Take charge of your deployment and major life events. Babies generally require 9-10 months to be fully operational post merge. There is plenty of time for you and your wife to execute the merge, deploy and return for your baby's solo flight. If you choose to advise me of your upcoming major life event with less than 7.5 months notice then you are failing to take charge of your deployment and are completely at my mercy. If you can't plan for your own future I have no pity. Come talk to me and I will help you evaluate your options. Bottom line, waive your dwell, deploy and return in time for your major life event and you have taken charge of your life and your wife and country will celebrate your sacrifice. If you desire to acquire a wife/husband with which to execute the merge then you should also consider taking charge of your major life event in a similar fashion.

Someone misses flying fighters and thinks he's funny. He's not.

• Upvote 5

I think we all know there will be $hitbags out there that will pull a tactical pregnancy. But they are the exception, not the norm and should be dealt with as individuals. A squadron wide email with this line “………..less than 7.5 months notice then you are failing to take charge of your deployment and are completely at my mercy. If you can't plan for your own future I have no pity.” That is leadership failure on multiple levels.

At your mercy? Who in the hell speaks to people like that? Why would anyone want to work for an organization that thinks this kind of reaction to the actions of a few people justify treating everyone else like absolute dog $shit? In a flying squadron no less……

Definitely not defending the email. I am pretty shocked that anyone would feel that it is necessary to condescend so maliciously. The leave nonsense is bullshit and he would have been better off just saying that having a pregnant wife doesn't automatically get you out of a deployment.

Edited by one1

Disclaimer: I haven't seen this email except for on this page. I agree with all the other comments so far...that email is WAY off the path.

You have to tell your leadership when you know your wife is going to give birth...if you know she's pregnant, and you know when she's due, and you don't tell anyone until you're due for your deployment, then you are a shit bag. Now someone else is going to have to pack a sack, kiss the wife and kids, and go in your place with little notice. This person that is eating this shit sandwich knows this could have been avoided if you didn't keep information of massive magnitude to yourself, will be pissed off, and has every right to be. Over and over again...I keep coming across the line, "I honestly didn't think I needed to tell people that, turns out I did." That email doesn't surprise me at all. The content/wording of it does, immensely, and I can hardly even wait to check my home station email and see who wrote that!

As for the leave...seriously? You need to take leave out of the local area AFTER you out process? I don't know what "recent incidents" there were, but they must have been pretty stupid to have allowed someone to read this email over and think it was cool to hit send.

As for the DO comment...did you know that ACC has an experiment going where we pick Majors to be DO's now? I know of 3 "selected" individuals to fill that billet. Not the brightest idea I've ever heard, but I'm sure there are O-4's in the Air Force that are up for the task.

Sigh. Thanks for posting that, I've never looked forward to checking my email while I'm deployed more than right now!

Bendy

Edited by Bender
  • Upvote 1

I am quickly becoming the evil and soulless field grade officer that the Air Force desires.

At least he admitted it... even if he was a complete and total assholedouchebagfuckstain in the process.

The thing that irritates me about this e-mail is that BDOS for some dudes is 2+weeks out from their deployment date. I did mine three weeks before I left for my deployment, and couldn't take leave for X-mas or New Years. It's the kind of buffoonery that runs rampant at that base.

Cheers!

BL

Edited by B.L

The thing that irritates me about this e-mail is that BDOS for some dudes is 2+weeks out from their deployment date. I did mine three weeks before I left for my deployment, and couldn't take leave for X-mas or New Years. It's the kind of buffoonery that runs rampant at that base.

Cheers!

BL

Hmmm...I'm sorry that happened to you, BL. There needs to be a case-by-case basis applied to handling everyone's personal affairs as they pertain to our professional lives (leave, deployments, TDYs, etc.). It's clearly a morale issue that every Squadron Commander should have as one of his top priorities. A blanket policy that is enforced in the situation you describe is down right awful; I'm glad you can still smile after being treated like that. I pretend that it doesn't indicate that you like it rough.

At least he admitted it... even if he was a complete and total assholedouchebagfuckstain in the process.

This is the exact reason that ADOs should not be allowed to do shit without the DO's oversight. S/He is, after all, the A-DO. The problem starts to emerge when you have "assholedouchebagfuckstains" that the DO doesn't mentor because he's too busy doing "important stuff" like flying and teaching academics no one NEEDS. There is the possibility that he is merely overwhelmed with his own responsibilities, doesn't realize that being a good DO takes a lot of energy and A LOT of time, simply has no fucking clue what he's doing, or is literally incapable of mentoring anyone because he literally has O-5's that are ADOs (some of which are definitely "assholedouchebagfuckstains").

And before you think that an O-5 ADO has any motivation to "mentor" other O-4 ADOs or an O-4 DO, I'm not sure I can agree with the way you think. There are exceptions to everything.

Did I mention that I think having O-3 DO's isn't a bright idea?

This reminds me of the conversation on flyers being CC's of other units on base. I don't remember if I liked it or not, but I'm starting to think not.

Bendy

Edited by Bender

THIS is what's wrong with the AF. From a MC-12 squadron. If six on, six off deployment cycle wasn't bad enough; now pre-deployment leave is not allowed outside of the local area and sex life must be coordinated with the ADO.

Subject: Outlining expectations and policy

XXXXXX,

A couple of recent incidents are prompting this squadron advisory email so please read and heed.

1. Leave beyond the local area WILL NOT be approved after BDOS. Local area is somewhat subjective but if you can't be recalled to the squadron within 2 hours then you will probably be denied. This is completely subject to my discretion so please be ready to explain your leave plan to me prior to approval. If I approve your local area leave and you have uncompleted pre-deployment prep or job related handoff then expect your leave to be cancelled at anytime.

XXXXXXXXXX, Maj, USAF

### RS Assistant Director of Operations

Beale AFB, CA

What a total asshole. If an ADO, who is a Major, sent this out in our squadron he would be hated from that point forward and would get every single bad deal that could be given.

What a total asshole. If an ADO, who is a Major, sent this out in our squadron he would be hated from that point forward and would get every single bad deal that could be given.

The shit of it is that there's a distinct possibility he was at one time in your squadron as a T-6 FAIP who got a bomber not named the BUFF. Now he rains hate here.

Jesus Christ. I'll bet this guy plays shoot your watch and talks about aspect ratio, and notching, and what not while fucking his wife. Guys, the water's nice on the other side. Big Blue will get the idea when you start voting with feet in large numbers. There is literally no reason to put up with this kind of shit.

• Upvote 1

This reminds me of the conversation on flyers being CC's of other units on base. I don't remember if I liked it or not, but I'm starting to think not.

We wouldn't like it either. Already dealing with multiple DO's in the OG front office and each associated Ops Sq has multiple DOs/ADOs.

Now they're farming out O3 aircrew to be Execs in MSG, MX and other groups.

No more please.

Edit - for clarity, I hope.

Edited by 17D_guy

He's a fucking douche, even if he is passing down words from his commanders he isn't being the appropriate shit screen. I get what he is saying, but what a good reason for his people to apply for separation. I betcha he isn't even a fighter guy....trying to be cute with those "merge" words.

We wouldn't like it either. Already dealing with multiple DO's from the OG and each associated Ops Sq with them farming out O3 aircrew to be Execs in MSG and other groups.

No more please.

How's that working telling O-5's no as an O-3?

The shit of it is that there's a distinct possibility he was at one time in your squadron as a T-6 FAIP who got a bomber not named the BUFF. Now he rains hate here.

I have been in the B-1 for seven years and have never heard anyone talk about "the merge" or act like that. He didn't pick up his bad attitude or his choice of words from our community.

Edited by BONE WSO

. It's the kind of buffoonery that runs rampant at that base squadron.

Don't throw our squadrons into this generalization. Life if good over here, thanks in large part to our squadron leadership.

Edited by Huggyu2
  • Upvote 2

How's that working telling O-5's no as an O-3?

I did it, and got my ass handed to me. However, I earned the respect of a lot of people that day. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Save this email, and be sure to forward it on to wherever he tries to go next- school/guard/reserves/airlines/walmart/whatever. Karma's a bitch.