What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

20 hours ago, Pooter said:

lady, in what world are you going to verbally out-maneuver Jon Stewart

I still don’t understand why anyone would sit down to an interview with Jon Stewart and not be fully prepared with their A-game to defend whatever it is that you do. He’s obviously shown up there for a reason and it’s usually not to say he’s thinking you’re doing a great job. 

Regardless of your love of the positions he takes, it’s rare that I run into too many folks that think the arguments he presents are not pretty well laid-out and backed up. Why anyone would show up not having at least an inkling he may make you look like an asshole is beyond me…

Then again, I’m admittedly very biased and f-ing love him, as he’s been a tireless proponent for government support of 9/11 related illnesses for first responders and his actions have had direct effects on brothers I know and love. Without him AND THIS SPEECH, this battle would still be ongoing

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Back in the day on Sept 30th I remember doing the ProSuper thing with my supply and RA guys taking the budget down to zero, I was looking at the all the 781K write ups and ordering parts for what we had in supply to clear them. Ordering stuff like gortex jackets, boots , Leatherman,. Nobody to this day could explain to me why we couldn't carry it over to the next years budget. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FDNYOldGuy said:

I still don’t understand why anyone would sit down to an interview with Jon Stewart and not be fully prepared with their A-game to defend whatever it is that you do. He’s obviously shown up there for a reason and it’s usually not to say he’s thinking you’re doing a great job. 

Regardless of your love of the positions he takes, it’s rare that I run into too many folks that think the arguments he presents are not pretty well laid-out and backed up. Why anyone would show up not having at least an inkling he may make you look like an asshole is beyond me…

Then again, I’m admittedly very biased and f-ing love him, as he’s been a tireless proponent for government support of 9/11 related illnesses for first responders and his actions have had direct effects on brothers I know and love. Without him AND THIS SPEECH, this battle would still be ongoing

Well said. I disagree a lot with Jon Stewart politically but he has a nose for sniffing out bullshit and exposing it. Reference his popularization of the lab leak on colbert's show or all of his amazing 9-11 responders advocacy. It's insane to come into this conversation snippy and condescending the way she did. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, FDNYOldGuy said:

Eh, you look at Kathleen Hicks' bio, and it becomes clear how someone like her could arrive unprepared.  She's a DC swamp creature through and through.  She's spent her entire career within the DC Beltway.  It's not surprising that she would appear so entirely out of touch.  She probably thought Jon Stewart would crack a couple jokes, shake her hand, and leave.

Look at her bio; she's spent her entire adult life as a bureaucrat in the federal government.  She's married to a fellow swamp creature (Thomas Hicks) who had such career highlights as "helping to pursue low emissions alternative fuels" as Undersecretary of the Navy, and now runs a K-street advisory firm focusing on "help(ing) companies, organizations, governments and institutions prepare for, mitigate against and take advantage of change."  Whatever the fuck that means.

When people talk about the "Deep State," these are the kind of folks they're talking about.  A huge body of career bureaucrats, answerable only to their fellow bureaucrats.  They make buckets of money, and provide vanishingly little in return.  As time goes on and their numbers increase, they only get more and more out of touch with the day to day lives or ordinary Americans.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 9

22 minutes ago, Blue said:

Eh, you look at Kathleen Hicks' bio, and it becomes clear how someone like her could arrive unprepared.  She's a DC swamp creature through and through.  She's spent her entire career within the DC Beltway.  It's not surprising that she would appear so entirely out of touch.  She probably thought Jon Stewart would crack a couple jokes, shake her hand, and leave.

Look at her bio; she's spent her entire adult life as a bureaucrat in the federal government.  She's married to a fellow swamp creature (Thomas Hicks) who had such career highlights as "helping to pursue low emissions alternative fuels" as Undersecretary of the Navy, and now runs a K-street advisory firm focusing on "help(ing) companies, organizations, governments and institutions prepare for, mitigate against and take advantage of change."  Whatever the fuck that means.

When people talk about the "Deep State," these are the kind of folks they're talking about.  A huge body of career bureaucrats, answerable only to their fellow bureaucrats.  They make buckets of money, and provide vanishingly little in return.  As time goes on and their numbers increase, they only get more and more out of touch with the day to day lives or ordinary Americans.

One of the bad things about civilian controlled military is you realize the people doing the controlling rarely lack qualification. If you look at how people like Kathleen Hicks get to their post, its clear that when they arrive they don't have nearly enough preparation on strategy, geo political climate, global security, etc... to really make informed decisions about how to appropriate money, etc...

Unfortunately, this is a viable career path. And I've seen it quite a bit in the academic world, MPP students who apply for White House internships that 5-6 years later lead to undersecretary positions in most federal arms. These are people who have barely the work and life experience of a seasoned major, now managing general officer equivalents on how to run a military. 

If you want to go far in the DoD, masters degrees and PME are for schmucks. What you really need to do is get on board with a political candidate and let them appoint you to a Pentagon position. You work your way from there. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, WheelsOff said:

Anyone else see the email from Hicks today, and seriously fight the urge to reply all with “Thanks! Oh hey, you really nailed that interview with Jon Stewart by the way!”

Oh man, I really want to see that.... Guess I'll have to wait for drill next month. 

9 hours ago, FLEA said:

Oh man, I really want to see that.... Guess I'll have to wait for drill next month. 

Don't be an asshole with classified.  That pretty much sums it up, you can now delete the e-mail without reading.  On another note, I'm impressed that you actually open your e-mail as a DSG/TR.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, FLEA said:

yup, the self-licking ice cream cone. To say nothing of the antagonism against ARC members who seek to prioritize homesteading in their career choices, as somehow not worthy of carrying the cost of keeping us "uniformed". If I had a quarter for everytime I've heard "if your billet is non-deployed, you shouldn't wear green". Basically the deployable/non-free agent True Scots fallacy of who deserves the benefits of 20 years of military service. Talk about penny wise pounds foolish. Of course *ART has entered the chat* *IMA has entered the chat* *RMP/Cat E has entered the chat*.

In fairness, most of the vitriol on that front have come from Army types. An especially caustic organization from a cultural perspective if I may say so, given my limited (largely CONUS) interactions with said types.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

To help fix the retention problem we lowered our standards...so we got that going for us.

According to three separate professional staffers I recently spoke with, applicants to U.S. service academies are down 70% with the vaccine requirement and DEI being cited as the number 1 and 2 issues.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

To help fix the retention problem we lowered our standards...so we got that going for us.

According to three separate professional staffers I recently spoke with, applicants to U.S. service academies are down 70% with the vaccine requirement and DEI being cited as the number 1 and 2 issues.

When are they going to figure out this issue and correct it? Oh maybe go like the navy with this tactic? 

https://www.foxnews.com/media/us-navy-platformed-drag-queen-influencer-attract-youth-military-hiring-crisis

31 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

there is still A LOT of crow to be eaten from the vax enthusiasts on this site...

2 hours ago, HossHarris said:

Vax is no longer required for usafa. Get your apps in!

Exactly...and there is still the perception.  A lot of damage was done. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

But the slides are green?  Where's the problem?  Lol.  

Edit.  When I flew, I remember looking to the left and right of me and not seeing a bunch of green haired lady men.  Also, I remember seeing terrorists,  they were burning lol.  

Edited by Biff_T
Afterthought
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Biff_T said:

But the slides are green?  Where's the problem?  Lol.  

Edit.  When I flew, I remember looking to the left and right of me and not seeing a bunch of green haired lady men.  Also, I remember seeing terrorists,  they were burning lol.  

Everyone's the same color under IR

• Like 3

Just now, Shakermaker said:

Everyone's the same color under IR

Lol. Is that kinda like its all pink on the inside?  

I did fly on NVGs quite a bit.  I guess everyone had green hair after EECT. 

11 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

The data being put out there by the service academies doesn't support a 70% dip. Looks like applications bounced back this year to basically pre-COVID levels. No comment on the reasons.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2023/01/10/applications-air-force-academy-bounce-back-after-plummeting-during-pandemic.html

image.png.3c951e148c849c6c774d1b1c7231dc92.png

12 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

52 minutes ago, mcbush said:

The data being put out there by the service academies doesn't support a 70% dip. Looks like applications bounced back this year to basically pre-COVID levels. No comment on the reasons.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2023/01/10/applications-air-force-academy-bounce-back-after-plummeting-during-pandemic.html

I wouldn't unequivocally trust the service academies to put out accurate data on number of applications and number of selections.  The Naval Academy has been shown in the past to inflate their numbers; I assume the other academies have done the same.

That said, "down 70%" is an incredible number if accurate.