What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

5 hours ago, dream big said:

How this dipshit still has a job and hasn’t been dragged in front of congress for his epic failure in Afghanistan is beyond me. Talking to a lot of my grunt buddies…one of the least respected “members” of the SOF community. 

💯

Miley and Austin disgrace the service and would resign if they had any honor.  Petty incompetent political creatures.  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Guardian said:

A made up name about themselves. What’s in a name? Strong argument YOU have there.

Ahhhh yes...because rpa pilots gave themselves that name. I forgot that RPA pilots run the USAF.

I also didn't present an argument or recommendation for either side. I simply pointed out that it doesn't make sense to recommend a name change from pilot to operator if you're going to keep the rpa designation in front of the word operator.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Guardian said:

They actually did. And then the Air for signed off on it. Some of the leadership in the community was tired of people saying unmanned so they recommended a change. Circa 2009

They actually changed it because the general public picked up on the connotation that "drones" or "unmanned" aerial vehicles were autonomous and making kill/no kill decisions algorithmically without human input. The change in terminology was to emphasize that despite the fact the aircrew member is not on the aircraft, it is still controlled by a human being, a person, who is making decisions and inputs. This predates any General Officer with significant RPA experience and was entirely done to reduce public resistance to the GWOT. 

The term Pilot comes from Pilotus, which means "Rudder" or more appropriately, one who steers a rudder. Its also used to refer to the person who steers the helm of a ship or boat. Aircraft pilots dont have exclusive use of the word. TAMI-21 imprisoned me for 3 years in that world. However, the professionalism and knowledge I saw about air operations often surpassed the manned aircraft pilots I worked with. I have no issue with RPA pilots adopting the term. Nothing in the etymology of the term "pilot" has anything to do with actual presence on a vessel and more to do with the actual control and steering of the vessel. 

Edited by FLEA
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Kite Flying GIF by Acorn TV

So we have a couple of pilots here too then?  Maybe I’m naive, but I assume most would consider the pilot to be aboard the plane, ship, dirigible, or any other thing that can kill them if it goes down.  Hell, I rarely steer the plane, much less touch the rudder, while at my airline job, damn thing does it all by itself, but the company still pays me that pilot money twice each month.

17 hours ago, O Face said:

Kite Flying GIF by Acorn TV                                     

So we have a couple of pilots here too then?  

I mean...I've seen worse airspace deconfliction. 

In all seriousness though, I don't think that what they're doing is at all comparable to MQ-9 ops. Can't speak to RQ-4s outside of the fact that they can't physically manipulate the flight controls via stick, throttle, rudder pedals. I've sat in with the Army Gray Eagle folks, and their situation is vastly different as well. 

There's no argument from me about the life-on-the-line differences of being inside the aircraft. There's also no misconception (at least from me) about the training levels between 11s and 18s. There's still piloting going on though, albeit remotely...whether it's employing weapons in a stack full of manned aircraft or transiting in congested airspace with shitty weather and no true sense-and-avoid capability...all while dealing with the same questionable TAC C2 vectors that you also have to deal with.

But don't worry, I have a grand solution for it all. From now on, just call us Remote Aircraft Flight Control Manipulators and Doers of Pilot-Like Tasks.

Or RAFCMDPLT for short. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Weapons Away said:

I mean...I've seen worse airspace deconfliction. 

In all seriousness though, I don't think that what they're doing is at all comparable to MQ-9 ops. Can't speak to RQ-4s outside of the fact that they can't physically manipulate the flight controls via stick, throttle, rudder pedals. I've sat in with the Army Gray Eagle folks, and their situation is vastly different as well. 

There's no argument from me about the life-on-the-line differences of being inside the aircraft. There's also no misconception (at least from me) about the training levels between 11s and 18s. There's still piloting going on though, albeit remotely...whether it's employing weapons in a stack full of manned aircraft or transiting in congested airspace with shitty weather and no true sense-and-avoid capability...all while dealing with the same questionable TAC C2 vectors that you also have to deal with.

But don't worry, I have a grand solution for it all. From now on, just call us Remote Aircraft Flight Control Manipulators and Doers of Pilot-Like Tasks.

Or RAFCMDPLT for short. 

Hmmm that acronym is sus......

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2023 at 2:44 PM, BashiChuni said:

46035576-842D-42F3-8B96-EF8D83394B62.jpeg

He's gotta get home to that "refrigerator" full of chocolate chip ice cream. 

Why Are There So Many Bad Bosses

Interesting podcast from the Freakanomics guys that’s applicable here.  Basically confirms what we’ve all known forever: Not everyone is cut out for (or wants) a management/leadership role.  Good listen:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/freakonomics-radio/id354668519?mt=2&i=1000604426212

More of a DOD-wide problem but here's Jon Stewart asking the deputy defense secretary basic questions about why we cant account for where 70% of the budget goes

And she has the nerve to get snippy with him..

lady, in what world are you going to verbally out-maneuver Jon Stewart 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Pooter said:

More of a DOD-wide problem but here's Jon Stewart asking the deputy defense secretary basic questions about why we cant account for where 70% of the budget goes

And she has the nerve to get snippy with him..

lady, in what world are you going to verbally out-maneuver Jon Stewart 

Jon Stewart nailed it in this interview.

Hick's performance was so bad it's hit her Wikipedia profile: "On April 6, 2023, Kathleen Hicks and comedian and veteran advocate Jon Stewart spoke at the University of Chicago on the human impact of military service.[18] Many of the clips from this interview went viral due to her unable to maintain her composure."

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, FLEA said:

Jon Stewart nailed it in this interview.

Hick's performance was so bad it's hit her Wikipedia profile: "On April 6, 2023, Kathleen Hicks and comedian and veteran advocate Jon Stewart spoke at the University of Chicago on the human impact of military service.[18] Many of the clips from this interview went viral due to her unable to maintain her composure."

Pretty fitting for the current batch of nominative positions. I know she’s a “Dr.” but, gheesh!