What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

post-4731-0-17763500-1318873944_thumb.pn

THIS is a huge problem today. It used to be that if it was important enough, the Air Force would set up a class taught by live human beings and you might actually learn something. Now, it just seems as if anyone and their brother can make a CBT and require us to take it and I have to spend 69 hours doing useless stuff and looking up the answers on Answers.com instead of actually doing something productive with my day.

THIS is a huge problem today. It used to be that if it was important enough, the Air Force would set up a class taught by live human beings and you might actually learn something. Now, it just seems as if anyone and their brother can make a CBT and require us to take it and I have to spend 69 hours doing useless stuff and looking up the answers on Answers.com instead of actually doing something productive with my day.

Eh...wasting time on unnecessary requirements is a problem (not the biggest IMHO), and CBTs are small fish when compared to the endless ORE-ORI-UCI-ASEV-rinse-repeat cycle, dog-and-pony shows for DVs, re-writing regs/SSS/OPRs to add that extra return after the properly formatted date, etc. With the new Tier 2A/2B scheme that covers most of the CBTs, it's really only every 2 years that you have to accomplish large amount...I think there's only 6 you have to do yearly (plus whatever is required by local regs).

So I guess I feel your sentiment but disagree with the scale of the problem...click through as fast as possible and be done with it.

Slight thread hijack, but on the note of CBTs, I could not find any definitive guidance on whether as a pilot I still need to take SERE 100 on ALDS. According to other websites from the Navy, SERE 100 is only required if you haven't done SERE B/C training like we all have; obviously AF guidance would be better.

Does anyone know the answer?

/hijack

Edited by Muscle2002

Slight thread hijack, but on the note of CBTs, I could not find any definitive guidance on whether as a pilot I still need to take SERE 100 on ALDS. According to other websites from the Navy, SERE 100 is only required if you haven't done SERE B/C training like we all have; obviously AF guidance would be better.

/hijack

The only time I know of for sure-the FCG requires it for Personnel clearance into most countries.

Edited by herkbum

/hijack

I was severely pissed off when I got back from SERE a week ago and was told that I needed to complete that cbt promptly.

At least it was fresh in my mind so it went by fairly quickly.

I was severely pissed off when I got back from SERE a week ago and was told that I needed to complete that cbt promptly.

At least it was fresh in my mind so it went by fairly quickly.

That's how you know SERE is an Air Force course: you had to do it both in-residence and correspondence.

• Upvote 11

Eh...wasting time on unnecessary requirements is a problem (not the biggest IMHO), and CBTs are small fish when compared to the endless ORE-ORI-UCI-ASEV-rinse-repeat cycle, dog-and-pony shows for DVs, re-writing regs/SSS/OPRs to add that extra return after the properly formatted date, etc. With the new Tier 2A/2B scheme that covers most of the CBTs, it's really only every 2 years that you have to accomplish large amount...I think there's only 6 you have to do yearly (plus whatever is required by local regs).

So I guess I feel your sentiment but disagree with the scale of the problem...click through as fast as possible and be done with it.

Actually, depending on your deployment cycle, you end up doing those two-year CBTs every 6 months (to be current all the way through the deployment, then to be current for the next ORI, then to be current again for your next deployment).

Of course, part of the problem is that our training managers insist on making people current THROUGH the deployment...when the reg only requires you to be current the day you set foot in the AOR.

• Upvote 3

/hijack

Had to fight this off many times. Not sure about the other MAJCOMs, but the AMC sup to 16-1301 says flyers don't need to do this if they're good on HRI/CoC.

2.2.4.3. (AMC) Current acceptable courseware for level B CoCT is the SERE 100 CBT and will be available through the Advanced Distributed Learning Service (ADSL). Personnel who complete this training receive credit for SS21, SS26 and SS28. Target audience for level-B CoCT training are those who are not required S-V80-A Combat SERE Training listed in Table 2.1. All who are required S-V80-A Combat SERE Training are considered level-C high-risk of isolation (HRI), and do not need level-B CoCT training.

Of course, part of the problem is that our training managers insist on making people current THROUGH the deployment...when the reg only requires you to be current the day you set foot in the AOR.

Yea, the system doesn't always work right, but if the above is true then a majority of the problem is self-induced. If the reg allows people to "expire" while deployed, let them. That's an easy kill if inspectors ask why Capt. Joe Blow isn't current...he's deployed and that specific situation is addressed by AFI-69-1234.

Guest Hueypilot812

While sitting in my awesome deployed location, and after hearing for the 669th time that those who break even minor uniform regs obviously can't be trusted to do the bigger things like fly airplanes...my bros and I took note that all the SOF dudes here are ALWAYS out of uniform, even when off duty. No PT uniforms, beards, they can wear whatever the they want, and so on. So next time some damn Chief tells me he can't trust me to fly a ing airplane because my socks are the wrong color, I'm going to point out that our biggest ass-kickers basically blow off AFI 36-whatever on a daily basis and they still up the bad guys. Just sayin'...

• Upvote 3

... which will result in the SOF guys getting chiefed.

Would love to see that! I mean look at this guy...sleeves rolled up, facial hair out of regs, glasses on his head!!!!!!! He's probably no good at his job and should not be trusted...

4208269825_3149578275.jpg

Edited by SocialD

Not where they live it won't, chiefs don't exist in those parts, too dangerous for their health. Even at the main bases Chiefs know better than to pull that shit with those guys, they'll get asked to leave the living area politely, one time.

• Upvote 1

Not where they live it won't, chiefs don't exist in those parts, too dangerous for their health. Even at the main bases Chiefs know better than to pull that shit with those guys, they'll get asked to leave the living area politely, one time.

The truest words ever posted.

Especially on Big Blue BAF. Walking on Disney or at the chow hall you're the property of the installation commander and by God if you're wearing something unauthorized you will be Chiefed at your earliest convenience. SOF ground ninjas included.

• Upvote 1

Guest Hueypilot812

Would love to see that! I mean look at this guy...sleeves rolled up, facial hair out of regs, glasses on his head!!!!!!! He's probably no good at his job and should not be trusted...

4208269825_3149578275.jpg

Dude's even got his glasses on his forehead.

I was reminiscing about days gone by, of a time when the last "excuse" for pressing minor uniform violations was "for force protection. If you aren't wearing the right thickness of socks, you could be a haji". Right. I'm Irish/German...and I could easily pass for an insurgent in Iraq. UFB.

Nowadays it's back to the wrong thickness of socks = inability to do more complex tasks like fly. The fact that they are always looking for justification for their uber-queepy quest to worry about idiotic things like how sweaty my PT shirt is only drives home the point they really have no real justification for it other than it's the easy thing to worry about, versus how to work issues that make flying ops at this airfield more efficient and/or safer.

How long does it take to grow a beard like that?

When you have that much testosterone, he probably shaved at breakfast.

• Upvote 2

• 9 months later...

Looks like the AF is asking for some people to return to active duty. Crazy!

http://www.minot.af....sp?id=123314216

8/15/2012 - OFFUTT AIR FORCE BASE, Neb. -- The U. S. Air Force is currently accepting applications from prior service military members to enter active duty. Military members who separated from the Air Force, Army, Navy, or Marines with an honorable discharge may be eligible to re-enter active duty into their previous career field, or retrain into various other career fields. Current and former Guard and Reserve members in all services may also be eligible for an active duty Air Force position. Special Operations opportunities are also available to those who qualify. All assignments will be direct duty assignments, except for those who retrain or enter Special Operations training.

To qualify for an active duty position, every individual must meet various qualifying standards. Qualifying factors include re-enlistment code, length of separation, credit report, rank, and career field eligibility. If an individual is currently in the National Guard or Reserves, a conditional release from the commanding officer will be required.

Interested individuals should contact their local active duty Air Force recruiter to start the qualification process. For assistance in finding a local recruiter, visit the "Find a Recruiter" feature on AIRFORCE.COM or call 1-800-423-USAF.

• 11 months later...

http://www.airforcet...nspection-model

Words about how it sounds like IG inspections will be meant to be less pain, then .....Another change in the new system is that each airman will take a confidential survey about wing leadership and how leaders manage resources, and be able to grade leaders on how considerate they are of airmen’s time.

Another back patting survey or one that won't get results released.

"Col Sh*tforbrains, I see you've driven your people into the ground. However, you got an excellent on that Inspection. Have a star."

They don't look at changes in retention based on who's in charge. They don't even really look at real mission accomplishment half the time, at least in Cyber. Just "nice to haves" and super lucky breaks.

I've yet to see a survey in the AF not twisted into statistical hell, or used to improve anything actually impacting the Airmen. I HATE these survey's.