What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

Air Force puts money where its mouth is to retain airmen

https://federalnewsradio.com/air-force/2017/05/air-force-puts-money-where-its-mouth-is-to-retain-airmen/

Lightening the load

As a means of easing the burden of additional duties on airmen, the service plans on increasing its commander support staff (CSS) by 1,600 over the next five years. About 200 will be added in 2018, Martin said.

That includes 170 officers, 469 enlisted airmen and 961 civilians. Those employees will be distributed to the nearly 2,000 active-duty squadrons.

53 minutes ago, hatedont said:

Air Force puts money where its mouth is to retain airmen

https://federalnewsradio.com/air-force/2017/05/air-force-puts-money-where-its-mouth-is-to-retain-airmen/

Lightening the load

As a means of easing the burden of additional duties on airmen, the service plans on increasing its commander support staff (CSS) by 1,600 over the next five years. About 200 will be added in 2018, Martin said.

That includes 170 officers, 469 enlisted airmen and 961 civilians. Those employees will be distributed to the nearly 2,000 active-duty squadrons.

We don't need them in 5 years, we needed them yesterday. Also it's the same thing we've heard about CSSs coming back for years now, I'm not going to hold my breath for something years down the road.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

We don't need them in 5 years, we needed them yesterday. Also it's the same thing we've heard about CSSs coming back for years now, I'm not going to hold my breath for something years down the road.

I'm hearing a violin.

1 hour ago, hatedont said:

C for effort.  I'm just not convinced 0.8 bodies per squadron will do much. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, nunya said:

C for effort.  I'm just not convinced 0.8 bodies per squadron will do much. 

True.  My bet is they put all of them in a single consolidated CSS to maximize efficiency and unity of effort.  They'll probably locate the consolidated CSS in San Antonio.

• Upvote 6

The Reserves are a little behind the power curve. We're currently getting manpower studies/updated UMDs that move the CSSs to the group level. Oh and SQ/CCs lost their secretaries! Wahoo!

Pretty sure active duty has already said man power study. We moved CSSs to the group back in 06 at Spangdahlem as a test. Of course though we probably have no record of it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Lstcause257 said:

Of course though we probably have no record of it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No shit, the CSS was probably the records manager, maintainer of file plans!  The history of the test was rejected at the Group for formatting and punctuation errors in paragraph one and returned to the SQ CSS after they left town.

8 hours ago, Azimuth said:

IMG_5838.JPG

I think the mods should move this to the WTF thread. At least everyone at Boeing has the option to quit, and Rhat can't fire them without cause.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Azimuth said:

IMG_5838.JPG

Oh holy hell.  Little Rock AFB's morale is still recovering from this piece of work.  He is everything that was toxic in the AF.  I remember IPs were terrified of air dropping because a bad bomb board would be preceded with a trip to ole Rhat 

Azimuth, you everyone beer for posting that picture.

Good riddance!

You might as well have posted a picture of this guy.

(DISCLAIMER: If you were in the 41 AS in the 2008-2009 time frame, don't click that link, you already know who it is.)

FF

Edited by FourFans130
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, FourFans130 said:

Azimuth, you everyone beer for posting that picture.

Good riddance!

You might as well have posted a picture of this guy.

(DISCLAIMER: If you were in the 41 AS in the 2008-2009 time frame, don't click that link, you already know who it is.)

FF

Rat was my CC twice. He's by far the worst. Only guy that might come close is Ole 777.

Edited by Azimuth

33 minutes ago, Azimuth said:

Rat was my CC twice. He's by far the worst. Only guy that might come close is Ole 777.

Ouch!  Well done hanging tough through that!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Azimuth said:

FYI:My years might be a little off. I wasn't in the 40 AS. But I heard their CC from 2009-11 was a piece of work.  The Gp/CC didn't hesitate to remove her and there wasn't any PC about removing a female. She dug her grave on a unit deployment. Never seen a CC removed so fast.

Edited by hatedont

1 hour ago, hatedont said:

FYI:My years might be a little off. I wasn't in the 40 AS. But I heard their CC from 2009-11 was a piece of work. The The Gp/CC didn't hesitate to remove her and there wasn't any PC about removing a female. She dug her grave on a unit deployment. Never seen a CC removed so fast.

That was a very interesting time in the 317th. The 40th was blessed with a great commander after her. He was our deployed DO and our saving grace in the desert but was pulled home early because of this.

3 minutes ago, polcat said:

That was a very interesting time in the 317th. The 40th was blessed with a great commander after her. He was our deployed DO and our saving grace in the desert but was pulled home early because of this.

Someone told me it was over a closet in the squadron the GP/CC wanted cleaned out. Making dumb decisions while deployed seemed more or less like the truth. What was the low down?

4 minutes ago, LookieRookie said:

Unless it's on a contract counter signed by AFPC/CC I don't believe it.

Not sure I would trust it even then:  was on a 365 back in the early days with about 120 others.  AFPC/CC at the time came out and was "so impressed," that he personally guaranteed we could have any assignment we wanted afterwards.  He went so far as to say he would move people out of jobs to get us where we wanted to go.

Needless to say, he issued a correction a few weeks later to say that AFPC would "do their best" to get us where we wanted to go.

1 hour ago, Weezer said:

Just going to put this here for your amusement.

"Officers and enlisted airmen who volunteer for an extended 365-day deployment can, if eligible, apply for either an advanced assignment or a two-year deferment from a permanent change of station."

Love that caveat.  Of course, this won't mention the promotion impacts since now we can't move you to that GO exec job, or staff somewhere, to "groom you."

42 minutes ago, 17D_guy said:

"Officers and enlisted airmen who volunteer for an extended 365-day deployment can, if eligible, apply for either an advanced assignment or a two-year deferment from a permanent change of station."

Love that caveat.  Of course, this won't mention the promotion impacts since now we can't move you to that GO exec job, or staff somewhere, to "groom you."

Don't fall for it. I was BTZ to SrA and made SSgt my first time. I pinned on SSgt a few weeks after leaving Korea. Tons of awards under my belt. After Korea you are supposed to receive your assignment of preference. I listed all the options overseas I could think of guys. They came back with Beale. My CMSgt and everyone else was like Nooooo... don't go there. This was back in 2000 when Lincoln and Roseville were probably small communities if they existed at all. I tell assignments to go kick rocks, so they come back with San Antonio. Really? I had lived in Texas for most of my whole damn life. It didn't matter because I had received my SOAR scholarship to AFROTC a few weeks before. They cut me orders from Osan direct to AFROTC to be a cadet. But guess what my ex girlfriend at the time left Korea for an assignment in Hawaii. 

DO NOT TRUST AFPC! You will go from a 365 to Cannon AFB or Grand Damn Forks. I will tell everyone under me don't be the sacrificial lamb.

Edited by hatedont