The Yeager Thread

flynhigh

Split from the thread.

Yeager spoke last night at the theater in the woods. Apparently he's not afraid to speak his mind in front of a crowd. Don't know if he's got the scoop on what happened, but he bashed the viper driver in front of the crowd. Basically said he has no respect for a Guy who lacks basic airmanship. I thought was pretty bold. But then again, I have no idea what happened.

Edited by Toro

Yeager spoke last night at the theater in the woods. Apparently he's not afraid to speak his mind in front of a crowd. Don't know if he's got the scoop on what happened, but he bashed the viper driver in front of the crowd. Basically said he has no respect for a Guy who lacks basic airmanship. I thought was pretty bold. But then again, I have no idea what happened.

I wasn't there to hear what Yeager said but I do know the mishap pilot and I can assure you that he doesn't lack basic airmanship. He's been flying the Viper for a long time. He may have screwed up but he has been flying too long to not have basic airmanship.

Ouch. Not sure Yeager is doing anyone, including himself, any good with comments like that. Let the investigations do their work and discuss the lessons learned later.

That's interesting, because there are a lot of aviators who have no respect for a guy who is a self-important windbag who once accomplished some amazing acts of airmanship but unfortunately eclipsed all of that with his enormous ego.

• Upvote 8

Yeager spoke last night at the theater in the woods....But then again, I have no idea what happened.

Pretty sure Yeager doesn't either.

That's interesting, because there are a lot of aviators who have no respect for a guy who is a self-important windbag who once accomplished some amazing acts of airmanship but unfortunately eclipsed all of that with his enormous ego.

It is beyond me how he continues to ruin the legacy that he could have had. He just won't shut up.

It's too bad that Hoover or Bud Anderson wasn't the first to go supersonic. These two epitomize what a gentleman with a great aviation legacy should be.

Edited by Huggyu2
  • Upvote 10

I wasn't there to hear what Yeager said but I do know the mishap pilot and I can assure you that he doesn't lack basic airmanship. He's been flying the Viper for a long time. He may have screwed up but he has been flying too long to not have basic airmanship.

Not trying to speculate, just passing along what Yeager is spouting off. As others have pointed out, he's destroying his "legacy".

Reason #89,958 that Yeager is a grade A douchepump!

It's too bad that Hoover or Bud Anderson wasn't the first to go supersonic. These two epitomize what a gentleman with a great aviation legacy should be.

2!

Not trying to speculate, just passing along what Yeager is spouting off. As others have pointed out, he's destroying his "legacy".

I completely understand...you are the messenger. I didn't mean for that to sound directed at you. I have to wonder if Yeager realizes the mishap pilot isn't an LT.

Ego yes. He was taking questions (moderated by his current wife) and a lady thanked them for being there and said her son would love to shake his hand. Neither he or his wife acknowledged the request, classy!

Ego yes. He was taking questions (moderated by his current wife) and a lady thanked them for being there and said her son would love to shake his hand. Neither he or his wife acknowledged the request, classy!

Unfortunately..standard.

From what I hear, he didn't become a full-out asshole until he married his second (current) wife.

Unfortunately..standard.

From what I hear, he didn't become a full-out asshole until he married his second (current) wife.

Yes, apparently she was the biggest reason TPS doesn't invite him to speak to the students...she demanded appearance fees and wanted the memorabilia he previously donated returned or otherwise they were to rent the items

Yes, apparently she was the biggest reason TPS doesn't invite him to speak to the students...she demanded appearance fees and wanted the memorabilia he previously donated returned or otherwise they were to rent the items

Not sure where you heard this, but he spoke to my class (2006), and at least 2 classes after mine. As well as speaking to EDW as a whole on the 60th anniversary of his flight in the X-1.

The other thing everyone needs to realize, is that the man is 84 years old. I had a 2 hour (.3 + 1.5 + .2 - you do the math) uninterrupted conversation with him in October of 2009. Yes he is opinionated, but how many of you (current and former fighter pilots) aren't? He is also to the point in his life where if he refrains from speaking his mind, he might not get the chance to do so at a later date.

Is calling out a dude you don't know, in a situation that you only have part of the data right? No, but he's not the first guy to do so.

Cheers,

-Mongoose

I had a 2 hour (.3 + 1.5 + .2 - you do the math) uninterrupted conversation with him in October of 2009.

So, it took place in three parts, but was 'uninterrupted'?

Is this TPS logic?

He is also to the point in his life where if he refrains from speaking his mind, he might not get the chance to do so at a later date.

Just because someone has the opportunity and venue to speak their mind doesn't mean they should do it.

• Upvote 1

We really need a sarcasm emoticon.

I wasn't implying that you were serious about her being hot...I got the sarcasm. I meant was that a joke that she is really his wife? Damn Chuck.

Is calling out a dude you don't know, in a situation that you only have part of the data right?

Do I know him? No.

Do I have first-hand experience dealing with him? Yes.

As an active duty officer, I figured it was more appropriate to delete my original comments.

Edited by Huggyu2

So, it took place in three parts, but was 'uninterrupted'?

Easy.

Ask a question. Yeager gives a .3 response. Ask another. Yeager gives a 1.5 response. Final question (probably something like "Are you charging by the hour?") and Yaeger finishes with a .3.

I once tried to interview Yaeger and ended up having to deal with his wife. I don't recall if she asked me for money if I wanted some phone time with the General, but I do recall it ended with me being told to sod off and buy his book. I already had it, so that didn't help much.