Viper incident at Oshkosh.

nunya

Thank the good man upstairs he got out OK. Vipers have a tendency to crimp right around the cockpit area if they nose-over into the ground. Most of us talk about trying out the seat if we're going off-roading at much more than a normal taxi speed. Good on him.

:beer:

I watched the Youtube video linked above. One of the "related" videos on Youtube was from grassrootsnews. This know-it-all eyewitness stated that the second jet landed with "apparent engine trouble" (or something to that affect) and went off the end of the runway :bash: Didn't know the engine stopped the Viper. Weird setup.

What if he couldn't get it to idle?

It still wouldn't stop it at idle :bellydancer: Just kidding...I know what you are saying. :salut:

There is probably something to that argument. It doesn't appear that the engine is at idle just looking at the turkey feathers.

Edited by HerkFE

Correct me if I am wrong... but isn't he coming in far too hot judging from the other Viper in front? Main wheels are smoking and it looks like the right brake got really hot in there.

Just got back from Oshkosh. Here is my picture contribution...

From what I saw they did 2 go arounds and both F16s looked funky doing them STS. They just looked off. Guess we will find out what happened soon. Glad the pilot was able to get out safely and no one else was hurt! If you are unfamiliar with Oshkosh, it is pretty much controlled chaos about all the time. To my knowledge a couple of people lost their lives a couple of days ago there at the seaplane base from a crash trying to land out there or something. RIP to them.

:beer:

post-10890-0-96261300-1311951070_thumb.j

If anyone has access to the CSAF Daily Ops update on SIPRNET (linked on the SIPRNET BaseOps Intelink page), there is a little info on this incident...but it's marked 'FOUO,' so I can't post it here.

Cheers! M2

IIRC, that old Bug is the EAA President's OSH ride.

Not true.

While some of the high rollers in EAA (like the Poberezny's) drive VW's during AirVenture, the EAA President does not.

There are additional VW's around the airfield, and the one in the video is the Flight Line Operations vehicle.

Edited by Huggyu2

So was he strapped in or not? Doesn't look like it.

That's within the limits of where the straps will let you go if the inertial reels don't lock.

You could easily lean forward to the 'dash' or turn around 180+ while fully strapped in ... there's a lot of travel avaialable.

Speculation, but looks like you can see a shoulder strap in Pic 12 or 13.

That's within the limits of where the straps will let you go if the inertial reels don't lock.

You could easily lean forward to the 'dash' or turn around 180+ while fully strapped in ... there's a lot of travel avaialable.

Speculation, but looks like you can see a shoulder strap in Pic 12 or 13.

Roger. Hard to imagine there would be enough decel Gs for a faceplant but not enough to lock the harness.

Not true.

While some of the high rollers in EAA (like the Poberezny's) drive VW's during AirVenture, the EAA President does not.

There are additional VW's around the airfield, and the one in the video is the Flight Line Operations vehicle.

I see.

Also didn't realize that the EAA prez was no longer a Poberezny...

Correct me if I am wrong... but isn't he coming in far too hot judging from the other Viper in front? Main wheels are smoking and it looks like the right brake got really hot in there.

Did he go off the left edge of the runway to avoid hitting his lead?. What are the options an F-16 pilot has when leaving the runway? Is it normal to eject or stick with it?

Did he go off the left edge of the runway to avoid hitting his lead?. What are the options an F-16 pilot has when leaving the runway? Is it normal to eject or stick with it?

It looked like lead exited at A-1 (45 deg right angle at end of R-36) and the MA departed the runway straight ahead.

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1107/00730AD.PDF

I didn't see the accident (too busy looking at all the planes), but the Vipers were putting on a good show prior to the landing incident. Lead was more aggressive with AB and an aggressive 90 degree closed pull each time while wing didn't go AB and probably only rolled about 70 degrees. Glad the pilot made it out ok :beer:

Have friends that tell me that their plan is to eject if they leave the runway at much more than normal taxi speed. 16's have a tendency to do this while going cross country:

d0c797e49ccc559100bcb6325857c211.jpg

79-0377 at Nellis in 1984 (?). The hole in the canopy was where they extracted the pilot, and the aircraft was rebuilt to fly, and crash (MacDill '88), and be rebuilt to fly again.