Last Beer You Drank and Rate It

Masshole

Went to the Staropramen Brewery in Prague yesterday. Very good beer. Had a sampler of their four beers (Original, dark, semi-dark, and unfiltered). Went with the original and followed it with the semi-dark. All four were excellent but only had time for two. As mentioned a few posts up, went to the Hofbrauhaus in Munich on the way to Prague. We were there when they opened the doors at 10 am (short layover to catch a train to Prague). Sorry, nothing to add to the Dirndls thread. They definitely had B-flight working that time of day. As far as the HB beer...I would say that it is just okay.

Went to the Staropramen Brewery in Prague yesterday. Very good beer. Had a sampler of their four beers (Original, dark, semi-dark, and unfiltered). Went with the original and followed it with the semi-dark. All four were excellent but only had time for two. As mentioned a few posts up, went to the Hofbrauhaus in Munich on the way to Prague. We were there when they opened the doors at 10 am (short layover to catch a train to Prague). Sorry, nothing to add to the Dirndls thread. They definitely had B-flight working that time of day. As far as the HB beer...I would say that it is just okay.

Next time you are in Munich instead of the HB go to the Augustiner Bräu - 100 times better beer (their Helles is probably my favorite German brew). Food is better as well. Prost!

I agree big time about the HB being sub-par. It is very fake, expensive, touristy, and the beer is average at best. I was not impressed the first time I went there, and even less impressed the second time when the wife wanted to check it out.

I'm not farmilar with Augustiner Brau, which means Augusteiner Brew. Are you talking about the Braueri - brewery?? Anyway, I am not sure if it is the same place, but there is a biergarten/restaurant called Augustiner Keller near the Hauptbahnhof train station. On my third visit to Munich, I found this place recommended on Tripadvisor and it was the best experience I had there to date.

Basically if you take the train in and make a left (North) out of the station, you walk parallel to the tracks in the direction you just came for about 2 blocks, and it is hidden on the right. It didn't look like much, and was in a train/industrial neighborhood (I think several of the breweries are actually located in that area, but it is not a big social or tourist area). But the bergarten was huge with a cool self-serve food/pretzel area and all the standard beer choices - weiss, helles, radler, mass, russ, etc. And I didn't see or hear any Americans at all, so unlike Hofbrauhaus, it was very local.

Probably the coolest thing I was was these stocky German dudes rolling out the old-fashioned looking wooden barrels of beer. They would literally tap a crude looking metal tap into the barrel with a mallet and start pouring. But unlike our pussy 1/4 inch taps that take 10 minutes to fill a pint, these taps looked like they were about 1 inch in diameter. They were filling 1/2 liter and 1 liter glasses in a matter of seconds. The dude would have like 3 or 4 glasses in one hand and with the other hand would somehow swap out the full ones for empty ones on the counter all the while keeping the hoss of a tap wide open.

And yeah, I second you on their helles being probably the best in Munich. Their weiss is good, but not as good as Franziskaner or HP if you ask me. But I would definitely try to find one of the more local biergartens as opposed to the Hofbrauhaus. Going to HB Haus is like going to Pat O'briens in New Orleans and claiming that you experienced true Cajun culture and atmosphere as opposed to just being surrounded by 100% tourists.

post-1758-0-72020100-1376768220_thumb.jp

If you are ever in Scotland, find an Innus &Gunn. It is quite easily the most amazing beer I've ever tasted. They age it in old whiskey/rum barrels depending on dark or lite and the weakest beer they make is 6.8%.

I agree big time about the HB being sub-par. It is very fake, expensive, touristy, and the beer is average at best. I was not impressed the first time I went there, and even less impressed the second time when the wife wanted to check it out.

I'm not farmilar with Augustiner Brau, which means Augusteiner Brew. Are you talking about the Braueri - brewery?? Anyway, I am not sure if it is the same place, but there is a biergarten/restaurant called Augustiner Keller near the Hauptbahnhof train station. On my third visit to Munich, I found this place recommended on Tripadvisor and it was the best experience I had there to date.

Basically if you take the train in and make a left (North) out of the station, you walk parallel to the tracks in the direction you just came for about 2 blocks, and it is hidden on the right. It didn't look like much, and was in a train/industrial neighborhood (I think several of the breweries are actually located in that area, but it is not a big social or tourist area). But the bergarten was huge with a cool self-serve food/pretzel area and all the standard beer choices - weiss, helles, radler, mass, russ, etc. And I didn't see or hear any Americans at all, so unlike Hofbrauhaus, it was very local.

Probably the coolest thing I was was these stocky German dudes rolling out the old-fashioned looking wooden barrels of beer. They would literally tap a crude looking metal tap into the barrel with a mallet and start pouring. But unlike our ###### 1/4 inch taps that take 10 minutes to fill a pint, these taps looked like they were about 1 inch in diameter. They were filling 1/2 liter and 1 liter glasses in a matter of seconds. The dude would have like 3 or 4 glasses in one hand and with the other hand would somehow swap out the full ones for empty ones on the counter all the while keeping the hoss of a tap wide open.

And yeah, I second you on their helles being probably the best in Munich. Their weiss is good, but not as good as Franziskaner or HP if you ask me. But I would definitely try to find one of the more local biergartens as opposed to the Hofbrauhaus. Going to HB Haus is like going to Pat O'briens in New Orleans and claiming that you experienced true Cajun culture and atmosphere as opposed to just being surrounded by 100% tourists.

Yes, Augustiner Brewery - same beer/brewery (wiki for quick dope: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustiner_Braeu). They have multiple beer halls in Munich in which you can enjoy their tasty brews. Haven't been able to find any of their Helles in-n-around the local Ramstein Getraenkemarkts - which sucks since I used to have a place in Hamburg close to home that was always stocked when I was running bingo (oh the irony of drinking Helles in Nord Duetschland!). Locally for Ramstein I drink Bischoff Premium Pils as my go to beverage of choice. If you prefer a more bitter German brew one of my favorites is Flensburg Pils (an exceptional example to show the difference between Northern and Southern German beers). But really I don't discriminate when it comes to German beer. Ahhh German Bier.... oh I have missed thee over the last 169+ days, we'll be reunited soon...

Edited by BigE

Next time you are in Munich instead of the HB go to the Augustiner Bräu - 100 times better beer (their Helles is probably my favorite German brew). Food is better as well. Prost!

Probably the coolest thing I was was these stocky German dudes rolling out the old-fashioned looking wooden barrels of beer. They would literally tap a crude looking metal tap into the barrel with a mallet and start pouring. But unlike our pussy 1/4 inch taps that take 10 minutes to fill a pint, these taps looked like they were about 1 inch in diameter. They were filling 1/2 liter and 1 liter glasses in a matter of seconds. The dude would have like 3 or 4 glasses in one hand and with the other hand would somehow swap out the full ones for empty ones on the counter all the while keeping the hoss of a tap wide open.

I will definitely check it out. The wife works for Delta so we will go to Europe at the drop of a hat. We only had a couple hours to kill prior to catching the train to Prague so we had to go with what we knew. I wasn't all that impressed with HB the first time I went there but it was one of those things you have to check off the list. I wish we had known about Augustiner especially if it is that close to the Hbf.

As far as Prague went, the very first beer I had there was Kozel 11. We just went into a restaurant and I told the waiter that I wanted the very best beer he had. He very confidently nodded his head and proudly sat a mug of Kozel in front of me. It did not disappoint. The Staropramen was my second favorite.

As a side note (nothing to do with beer) on Prague......DEAR GOD at the amount of European HOTTNESS there. That place has to have the highest concentration of hott chicks on this planet :rock:

Edit for not spelling good.

Edited by HerkFE
  • Upvote 1

EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT...Yuengling now makes an oktoberfest, I give it a 4...out of 4, because I have never been to Germany nor will I most likely ever get a chance to get out there (or so it seems). You might be asking yourself, there is no way that it is any good! To you Mr. "I know the flavor profile of every single oktoberfest out there man (bro/dude)" (sung to the tune of the Bud Light commercial & platform specific) I say NAY, you will love it, because you love the Yuenglings.

Be advised, currently, at this time it can be found at your local BX (I think)

Had a Saranac at ISP on an overnight...Not too bad...Steam Whistle in YYZ wasn't too bad, I'd rate them both 8s....By the way, a new microbrewery is opening in Virginia Beach called, Young Veterans Brewing Co. http://youngveteransbrewco.com/

Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale

Pretty damn good. It's more crisp than I was expecting from something this dark. It's hoppy, but it doesn't beat you over the head with it. The caramel is there, making it a little more sweet than most of their other brews. It tries to be several things at once and actually does a good job with it.

4.5 out of 5 stars.

• Upvote 1

Wow. Didn't realize N/A water was allowed in this thread. Kind of like bringing a celibate to a whorehouse.

So to counteract the effects of the above 0% beer, I will post this 10% Double IPA to thus get an average alcohol content of around 5% between the two posts.

Seriously just tried this last night, and it was pretty good for a Double IPA:

Snake Handler Double IPA by Good People in Alabama.

Pretty malty, with a slight smell & taste of alcohol. I tried to let it warm up a tad and the alcohol taste subsided a little. Really good though.

Overall, I am not a huge fan of any Double IPA that I have tried, and I much prefer regular IPAs. Good people makes a basic IPA, which in my opinion is their best beer. The regular IPA is still over 7% alcohol, and it is much less expensive compared to the 10% Double IPA.

As of this writing, Good people is only available in Alabama and Tennessee, so if you are in the Maxwell area, it is definitely worth a trip to try out some of their brews. They have a beer locator on their website that will point you directly to every bar, gas station, and supermarket that has their beer in the zip code area you type in.

post-1758-0-44304900-1377371820_thumb.jp

Hinterland IPA was had last evening. Its a micro from Green Bay. http://www.hinterlandbeer.com/Beer.html The best part, it comes in pints!

Also, just had this very malty IPA from a Chi-town micro called Hopothesis, http://www.hopothesis.com/formulations/ I admit, I'm not sure about this one as it was different from what I expect from a good IPA. But I was intrigued with each sip and we'll see how the other 5 go from the 6-pack. In all fairness, I judge IPAs against Rogue's Yellow Snow.

Out

I have had Maudite a few times up in Canada. Good, Belgian-type brew that packs a punch. Also good up there (and down here where you can find them) is La Fin Du Monde (end of the world). It's a Belgian Tripel, and also packs a nice punch. Both by the same company based out of Quebec.

I have had Maudite a few times up in Canada. Good, Belgian-type brew that packs a punch. Also good up there (and down here where you can find them) is La Fin Du Monde (end of the world). It's a Belgian Tripel, and also packs a nice punch. Both by the same company based out of Quebec.

I second the recommendation of La Fin Du Monde.

Also, the movie is good too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Breckenridge Brewery Small Batch 471

8.5/10

Hoppy IPA with a good bite. Goes with everything. Or nothing. ABV: 9.0.

Enjoying one of these right now. One of my favorite IPAs. Also had some Greenflash West Coast IPA lately -- even hoppier than the Breck. I think the Breck has an overall better flavor, so if it's an 8.5/10, the Greenflash is probably a 7.5-8.

Had a Founders Brewing Breakfast Stout the other week. It's a double-chocolate coffee oatmeal stout, and it is delicious. Easily one of the best beers I have ever had. 9.6/10.

Also enjoyed a Saint Arnold Pumpkinator (Imperial Pumpkin Stout) last week. I don't like pumpkin, but I really enjoyed this beer. I have three more of these and an Alaskan Pumpkin Porter heading home with me for Thanksgiving. I'd give the Pumpkinator a solid 8/10. Not something you're going to want a whole lot of, but it's tasty and 10%abv.

Edited by Sasquatch

New Belgium's French Aramis IPA...outstanding beer. Very different from your traditional IPAs with subtle notes of smooth oak, orange, grapefruit, and floral hops without the strong bitter hops kick you are used to with IPAs. I tried it at a recent beer festival IVO LRF. Very impressed.

Has anyone tried New Belgium's Accumulation IPA?