Last Beer You Drank and Rate It

Masshole

How does it compare to Ranger by the same company? The liquor store by my house sells pint.5's for 3 dollars...

[i don't know all the fancy words for describing beer, but here it goes]

Yeah, as mentioned before, Dig isn't as hoppy. (I'm not an IPA guy. Something about the flavor). Ranger seems to have a much more even flavor to it, the Dig has a lot of flavor right off the bat.

Had a Stella Artois at JFK before I flew it was good, had a Russian brand #9 at Petes Place in Manas, it was not as good as the Stella but it did the job and was enjoyable. Had some German near beer here in OAMS, it was not good and didn't even get that plecebo effect , I hope there is a special place in hell for those who invented near beer. Stay thirsty my friends.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Abita - Andygator - if you are a light beer drinker you will like it. I a fan of a lot of the things that the Abita brewery puts out, unfortunately this is not one of them. I think I tasted some fruity tones in there too. (sts) :nob:

I think I tasted some fruity tones in there too. (sts) :nob:

You definitely did. I'll pick up and andygator every now and then and drink it as a nightcap. Being from Louisiana I have to show some love for the home team. I'm not a big fan of fruity beer, but I can tolerate Andygator. Abita makes some damn good beers, but they have a tendency to slip some fruity flavors into some of them("cough cough" Purple Haze). Turbodog is my favorite beer period dot. Ironically this post was brought to you by Shiner Bock, can't find Turbodog in CBM.

Lone Star Bock - good beer, smoother and slightly sweeter than Shiner with more Bock like qualities I.e. flavor.

On the same note, St Arnold Bock is an excellent easy drinking bock with a crispness unlike other Bocks, doesn't sit as heavy as Shiner or Lonestar while drinking. No sweet after tone like LS but not as full bodied either.

both beers are born and bred in Texas. Anyone try different Texas beers recently?

I can never remember the name of it, but it's easy to spot and I always get it when available: Shiner makes a black beer that's fantastic.

Shiner Bohemian Black Lager, agreed, pretty good beer.

When I'm able, I'll grab a case of Köstritzer Schwarzbier in Germany. Similar to the Shiner black, but better flavor.

Had a Tommyknocker Hop Strike Black IPA last night. I really love most of the Tommyknocker beers - most of them are "high gravity" and high in taste as well. The regular IPA (Pick Axe) is also very good, and very hoppy.

As far as this Black IPA - it didn't taste quite as hoppy as I would expect for 78 IBU, but I guess the dark, malty flavor sort of counteracted it (kind of the point, I presume). Either way, it seems like a good beer for my transition from winter dark/porter/stout type beers to more springtime type beers such as IPAs and Hefeweizen.

post-1758-0-34283500-1362061700_thumb.pn

• 3 weeks later...

Love me some Das Helle. Haven't had any in a while. If anyone is coming from Ramstein through Atlanta and want to bring me case or twelve, you'll be my friend.

Lone Star Bock - good beer, smoother and slightly sweeter than Shiner with more Bock like qualities I.e. flavor.

On the same note, St Arnold Bock is an excellent easy drinking bock with a crispness unlike other Bocks, doesn't sit as heavy as Shiner or Lonestar while drinking. No sweet after tone like LS but not as full bodied either.

both beers are born and bred in Texas. Anyone try different Texas beers recently?

The Lone Star was a little too sweet for my liking. Love the St Arnold Bock though.

Speaking of St Arnold, I've had a few of their limited-release brews lately...

Bishop's Barrel #2 is an old ale aged in chardonnay barrels with cherries. This was... interesting.

Icon Red is a belgian-style pale ale. I loved it, and was pretty pissed when my roommates finished off 2 out of my 4 while I was gone.

Icon Blue is a cascadian dark ale / black IPA. This stuff was freakin' delicious. Nice & hoppy, but also kinda roasty like a porter.

I don't think it's available outside the Houston market, but if you ever have a chance I highly recommend trying Buffalo Bayou Brewery's stuff. Their flagship beer (1836) and IPA (More Cowbell) are two of my favorites.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...