Boss, I quit...

Actually, Spoo and Kuma,... you two are both nuts.

Supposedly the new U-2 CC at Al Dhafra convinced the Wing CC there to implement double reflective belts on his first day there...

and all of the interservice transfer guys in the unit supported this, based on their previous Dept of the Navy experience.

Things are just getting weirder everywhere...

Weren't you able to talk any sense into this guy?

Actually you are nuts. Much less bureaucracy and queep in the rest of the military. Big Blue Air Force is a CANCER.

Sorry, my time spent in the big house gave me a different impression. Wait, didn't you IST from the Dept of the Navy?

Huggy is making this shit up.

No he's not.

You're right, he's not that stupid. He actually hands out reflective vests when guys get their in-brief, but you only have to wear them on the flightline and to/from the chow hall.

You're right, he's not that stupid. He actually hands out reflective vests when guys get their in-brief, but you only have to wear them on the flightline and to/from the chow hall.

Must be a U2-specific thing. None of the folks I know out there do this.

Change is the only constant you can depend on, and it won't be for the better. We're governed by men of rhetoric, not action. They will proclaim their support of the military loudly, take a PR-sanitized tour of your deployed base with their American flag jumpsuit, and then deploy your stupid gullible ass to another war without thought or care for what you're giving up, while simultaneously gutting 1) your ability to do your job, 2) pay, and 3) benefits to make room for super high-tech procurement contracts so that they can win votes back home. Below these men of rhetoric are generals who have already banked their 19k a month retirement check and follow-on CEO position at a defense contractor, many of whom will not hesitate to RIF you or deploy you so that their excel spreadsheet macro turns green, and it makes their masters happy. As it goes down from star to eagle to oak leaf to bar to stripe, it will get bastardized into "well these are the boss' orders, we have to do our duty", and so, the game continues.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what I don't understand is why these people at the top aren't doing anything about how f'ed up big blue has gotten. It's not like (completely valid) rants like this aren't being heard all the way at the top. Sure, they've got their retirement all lined up, but you don't spend 30 years in the AF without caring at least a little about the service and what'll happen to it after you get out...I can't imagine money is the only thing motivating 4 stars at this point. Like the OP said, if you used people efficiently, instead of constantly retraining them in stuff they've already learned but never got to use properly, you could easily save huge $$$. Cut out 66 hours of unnecessary training and you just saved $1,000,000 per pilot (at the $15k/hour quoted in the OP). That'll make any Excel sheet turn green. They can't have gotten a few stars on their shoulders without realizing implementing broad changes in the right places will always save more in the long run than a quick knee-jerk reaction. I'd like to hope that's not just naivety/inexperience talking...

There's all this talk about how great it was back in 90's, '80's, whatever, how much less BS there was, especially in the fighter community. But who are all the top brass now? Guys that were fighter pilots in the 80's. At least one of them has got to be thinking, "wow, my 18 year old self would never have joined this air force."

Edited by LoneWolf121188

Must be a U2-specific thing. None of the folks I know out there do this.

You actually believed that? Wow. I was going to say something about a broken sarcasm detector, but maybe it's just a sad testament to the current state of the force...

Edited by Spoo

You actually believed that? Wow. I was going to say something about a broken sarcasm detector, but maybe it's just a sad testament to the current state of the force...

It would not have surprised me if reflective vests became the standard.

No he's not.

OK, let me get this straight...Huggy states that the new CC is making people wear two reflective belts. Someone else states that YCMTSU, and I assure him that Huggy is in fact making this up.

Now, you're telling me that Huggy is not making this up. Why would the new CC do this? It sounds absurd. Perhaps the labodomy was accomplished ahead of schedule. Bummer.

Now, you're telling me that Huggy is not making this up. Why would the new CC do this? It sounds absurd. Perhaps the labodomy was accomplished ahead of schedule. Bummer.

<sigh>....reference two posts up.

<sigh>....reference two posts up.

Perhaps the Sarcasm Transmitter needs tuning...

Guest Dave1

Non military here. I joined this sight to get insight into the fighter pilots world and I think I've gotten a bit of it. I am glad to have come across this post, but it seems the OP needs a brick wall to fall on his head. I cant imagine that the problem is any more complex than what was said in the boss letter.

My dad was a poor country boy drafted during Vietnam. He hated the Army. As a kid, when my he told me I would hate the military, I couldnt understand how. A hearing loss prevented me from finding out, but over the years I have learned why many feel that way. Not that I wouldnt join even today if I could.

I don't doubt that hard work and sacrifice builds character, but perhaps the military needs to move into the present and lose some of the retarded sacrificial attitude that would drive commanders to subject personnel fresh from combat deployments to readiness inspections and make trading a potentially better civilian life for a military career, a little more worth it.

Just an outsiders opinion.

• Downvote 5

it seems the OP needs a brick wall to fall on his head. I cant imagine that the problem is any more complex than what was said in the boss letter.

By "the OP", do you mean Gen Welsh?

Seems to me that he's thinking more clearly than any other 4-star in the USAF in the last several years by even acknowledging the problem and actually asking for inputs from the rank and file.

Guest Dave1

By "the OP", do you mean Gen Welsh?

Seems to me that he's thinking more clearly than any other 4-star in the USAF in the last several years by even acknowledging the problem and actually asking for inputs from the rank and file.

Dont get me wrong, I completely agree, but it seems that the majority of the problems are represented in the letter. The fact that he is on a forum asking for input after reading that and doesnt mention any efforts he has made to correct the issues discussed or even acknowledge the validity of the problems mentioned just seems little uncommitted and hollow.

Even from an outside perspective this issue seems huge. It seems to me any committed effort would see some kind of official, service wide request for input. Something far more substantial than asking on a forum. And it seems there was enough complaints in the letter that he could say he has taken action to resolve at least one.

• Downvote 1

Dont get me wrong, I completely agree, but it seems that the majority of the problems are represented in the letter. The fact that he is on a forum asking for input after reading that and doesnt mention any efforts he has made to correct the issues discussed or even acknowledge the validity of the problems mentioned just seems little uncommitted and hollow.

I know you're new to the forums and everything, but after reading your posts I'm beginning to think that you're functionally retarded.

Gen Welsh does not post here on BaseOps. The original poster copied/pasted from an email.

OK, let me get this straight...Huggy states that the new CC is making people wear two reflective belts. Someone else states that YCMTSU, and I assure him that Huggy is in fact making this up.

Wait, what?

Guest Dave1

I know you're new to the forums and everything, but after reading your posts I'm beginning to think that you're functionally retarded.

Gen Welsh does not post here on BaseOps. The original poster copied/pasted from an email.

Well excuse me for not checking IDs at the door. After reading two of your posts now, I'm absolutely positive you're an inbred meathed who thinks this...

If you think "best fighter pilot" refers to you, please let me know what you think. If you don't, this note isn't for you.

R/Boomer

was meant for you, and have no doubt you really believe that this...

This is pretty much your average week in any given fighter squadron. Lots of "engagements" happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sROH6dXV0tA

is what people are "retarded" enough to think is behind your pathetic internet avatar.

Nice sig by the way, "The average fighter pilot, despite his sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of feelings such as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else" Anyone you know? Except for the swag, you fit the profile. And just so I am absolutely clear on what I think of you...

Your self image

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/bunk22/mav4.jpg

Probably closer to the truth

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/1658/pukerwhole8ka.jpg

• Downvote 14

Well excuse me for not checking IDs at the door. After reading two of your posts now, I'm absolutely positive you're an inbred meathed who thinks this...

<<more ridiculous blabbering>>

Dave1, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Dave1, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Damn it. This was starting to get good.

Too bad this isn't AirWarriors....else we'd see the "banhammer" out soon.

Not to derail, hoping Dave1 isn't exiled (cause it was getting entertaining), but do you have a link? Sounds good.

Edited by matmacwc