Boss, I quit...

To USAFE Fighter Pilots- Thought I'd pass this along and see what ya'll thought.

I need your help. During a recent 4-star meeting, we talked about what appears to be a pending fighter pilot shortage. The AF's rated personnel management folks are projecting a 300 fighter pilot shortfall in FY13 that could grow to over 1000 by FY21. They also told us that the fighter community's bonus "take rate" is 10% lower than the rest of the rated community. Obviously, many of you are leaving, or thinking about leaving, the Air Force for other opportunities. If you've already made the decision to do so, then please accept my sincere thanks for your service and best wishes for every success in the future...it's an honor to have served beside you. My concern is not that you've made the choice to pursue a new path, but that we don't really understand why you made the choice.

You may have heard the story about a Captain fighter pilot who wrote a letter to the Commander of Tactical Air Command a couple of years after the end of the Vietnam War. The letter started "Dear Boss, Well, I quit" and went on to list the frustrations that he and his peers were experiencing. I just read a more recent version, written in 2009. It's attached to this note. If you believe the author, some things may not have changed much in 30 years.

Our Air Force is in a dynamic state of change and its leaders need to know why some of their most talented, highly trained people are leaving. As we transition to a 5th Generation fighter force, we simply can't afford to lose front line fighter pilots at our current rate.

I understand that it's a busy time to be in the Air Force. The fighter community is faced with an increasing ops tempo, fewer fighters, less flying, more non-flying jobs and an unclear career sight picture. My gut feeling is that this combination contributes to good people leaving, but I doubt these are the only factors. I suspect some of the issues raised in the Dear Boss letter are also in play. But, most importantly, I don't know for sure. And I don't believe AF leaders can make smart fighter pilot force management decisions until we do.

Interestingly, we also have a fighter WSO shortage which will persist for the next few years. But the longer term trends for that career field are positive. That's clearly not the case with fighter pilots and I want to know as much as possible about what's causing retention to move in the wrong direction.

So, I have a favor to ask. I'd like to hear your thoughts on what is driving fighter pilot retention down. You can send them directly to my CAG at usafe.ccx@ramstein.af.mil. They'll strip names off the inputs, then pass them to me, unedited. I'm looking for the ground truth as you see it, not the filtered, watered-down "this is what the boss wants to hear" truth. Once I've seen it all, I'll give you some feedback...including what I plan to do with the info.

Let me close by saying "Thank You" to you and your families for all of your hard work and sacrifice. You, and so many other great Airmen in so many career fields, are the reason we're the world's greatest Air Force. But no matter how good we are, we need to get better. When your job is to fight and win your Nation's wars, you can never be good enough. I will do everything in my power to make USAFE more combat capable; that includes trying to keep our best fighter pilots on Active Duty. If you think "best fighter pilot" refers to you, please let me know what you think. If you don't, this note isn't for you.

R/Boomer

Attached was this:

Dear Boss,

Well, I quit. I’ve finally run out of drive or devotion or rationalization or whatever it was that kept me in the Air Force this long. I used to believe that we were the finest organization in the world—that combat effectiveness was the only thing that really mattered, and that no one on earth was as effective at anything as we were at air combat. But I cannot keep faith any longer. The light at the end of my tunnel went out. “Why?” you ask. Why leave flying jets and a “promising” career? Funny you should ask—mainly I’m resigning because I’m tired. Fourteen years and 2,300 hours in the fast jet business and all the time I’ve been doing more with less—and I’m tired of it. Fourteen years of 12-hour days and long deployments and it turns out that most people around here don’t actually care if we’re any good! They only care if we look good. And there is a difference.

I don’t mind the duty or the hours. That’s what I signed up for. I’ve been all around the world and been shot at by the bad guys. I’ve had buddies who died in fireballs and watched their widows and children cry their eyes out—I understand—it comes with the territory. I can do it. I did it. I can still do it—but I won’t. I’m too tired, not of the job, just the Air Force. I’m tired of the poor leadership and micromanagement of our senior staffers and commanders. All those Masters and PME grads and not a true leadership trait in sight! Once you get past your squadron commander, people can’t even pronounce esprit de corps. Even a few squadron commanders stumble over it. And let me clue you in—in the fighter business, when you’re out of esprit, you’re out of corps. We’ve come to value political correctness and feel-good slogans above aggressiveness and warrior spirit. We’ve completely forgotten out roots and what traits made us good in the first place.

The Air Force is in a constant identity crisis. Since I first put on a uniform, we’re on our third Air Force emblem, third different flight suit, second battle dress uniform (third if you include the Velcro nametag debacle), and working on our fourth service dress! We’ve had so many mission statements, vision statements, and core values statements that I can’t keep up. Then we heard the Chief of Staff talk about how he wants to instill a sense of our heritage. What heritage? We don’t even have a uniform on long enough to become heritage! We are just a constantly changing set of buzzwords, clothes, and fads. After the last CSAF left, what was the very first thing the new boss did to supposedly re-focus us on the mission and instill some Air Force pride? He changed our clothes and made us wear blues. Talk about missing the mark! It used to be that our pride came from simply being the best. I guess not anymore. And then there are the buzzwords. I can’t go to a commander’s call without hearing “wingmen,” “mutual support,” and “core values” awkwardly thrown around until I’m nauseous. Don’t get me wrong, they are fine concepts. But they are just words, over-used and infrequently backed up by the actions of our leaders. They have been watered down to the point where they lost all meaning. Not long ago, Quality Air Force was all the rage. We did surveys and made graphs and nothing got better. Now we have AFSO 21 and we have working groups and stop light charts and nothing has gotten better. We tag on to civilian business management techniques that we don’t truly understand, then think we can simply apply a 10-step flow chart process to every problem and come up with the right solution. What happened to leadership, creativity and innovation? Give me a bar napkin, a pen, and a bottle of whiskey and I’ll solve your problems in one night. And I won’t have to remember what step number 7 was in the computer based training slides to be able to apply common sense.

And what about career? Get serious! Progression has little to do with leadership ability and actual performance, but rather filling a series of squares. A couple years back, we had the “no practice bleeding” policy—if you needed a masters degree, the Air Force would send you. Don’t do PME in correspondence unless you don’t get picked up to go in-residence. It only made too much sense. But this is the Air Force, so the pendulum had to swing back, and now it’s swung so far you can hardly see it anymore! They changed the ACSC program so that it doubles as a masters program—but you can’t realistically get selected to go in-residence unless you already have a masters degree. What sense does that make? So now you have guys simply finding the easiest, most useless on-line masters degree program they can find, just to fill the square. And the Air Force is stuck paying the bill! Everyone loses in that battle. The Air Force is out of the money with no real benefit and its people spend their few free hours reading books and writing papers on subjects that are unrelated to what we really do. To paraphrase our former Chief of Staff, the Air Force treats a masters in basket weaving in the same exact light as a masters in quantum physics from MIT. Do we want officers who are truly educated in relevant subjects or do we just want to be able to flaunt our statistics on how educated we appear? I had a general officer literally tell me that we do this to sift out those who are truly dedicated to their career. I guess 60-70 hour weeks spent trying to do well at my actual duties don’t show enough devotion. And now my favorite: you also can’t realistically get selected for ACSC in-residence unless you’ve completed it in-correspondence first. So you can’t take the course until you’ve taken the course? Huh? We have lost our minds! What happened to family time? I work 12 hours or more every day, yet I’m expected to come home and work on classes at night and on the weekends just so I can be competitive to re-cover that same material at Maxwell? Just when exactly am I supposed to spend time with my wife and kids and re-charge my batteries? I hardly see my kids as it is. Something has to give. It’s either my job, my coursework, or my family. I can’t do all of that well. Does anyone really wonder anymore why our folks face pressure from home to get out? Does anyone really wonder why our folks are completely burned out?

What am I supposed to tell young lieutenants and captains who come to me asking if they should spend their spare time working on their masters degree or instead start work on their flight lead upgrade briefs? They don’t have time to do both well, and anyone who tells them they need to just manage their time better is so far out of touch I can’t take it. By all common sense, young guys should be focusing on being tactical experts and knowing everything they can about the weapons system they are tasked to employ. But I can’t tell them to prioritize that anymore if they plan to stay in the Air Force. I can’t tell them to commit career suicide because the fact is that the Air Force doesn’t care if they are tactical experts. It only cares if they have their squares filled. The Air Force has decided that the 4-star grooming process begins on day one, and that seems to be our focus. We need to have experts at the tactical level—we cannot afford to be generalists at the company grade operator level. We were told by a senior officer the other day that we now need to be experts in space and cyberspace in addition to being experts in the air--this to an audience of mostly junior officers. Are you kidding me? We hardly have enough time or training to be true experts in our own lane, but now we’re supposed to be experts in everyone else’s? The theory seems to be so that we need to have a better understanding of those things work if we become “senior leaders.” But we’ve put the cart before the horse once again. When our operators are also our officers, we cannot afford to focus only on officer development and senior leader grooming when guys are lieutenants and captains. Well, we can, but it’s at the expense of effective operations. And isn’t that what’s it’s really all about? I guess not.

And if that isn’t enough, the Air Force chooses to select its finest not based on actual Air Force work, but on how much ancillary stuff a guy does. To be selected as a quarterly company grade officer award winner in any wing, the write-up needs to include bullets for 1) “Leadership and Job Performance in Primary Duty” 2) “Significant Self Improvement” and 3) “Base and Community Involvement.” So what happens to the guy who is the best in the world at his actual duty and a natural born leader, but doesn’t coach a kid’s soccer team or tutor underprivileged students in his spare time (what spare time)? Answer: he can’t be competitive for the quarterly award above the squadron level since he isn’t involved enough in the community. Which means he isn’t competitive for the annual award. Which means he doesn’t look as strong on paper, even though he may be the very best officer and tactician we have. As we know, it doesn’t matter how good you are, it only matters how you look on paper. Why on earth do we prioritize non-Air Force work to identify our standout officers? The write-up should end at “Leadership and Job Performance in Primary Duty.” Period, dot. Anything else means that we are using the wrong measuring stick.

And there are no more carrots left to keep guys motivated, only bad deal after bad deal, and hardly a “thank you” for any of it. If I have to listen to another colonel or general officer tell me how they understand what it’s like now since they had a bad deal once too--then proceed to describe how much fun they actually had on that “bad deal” ALO tour in Germany in the late 1980s--I’m going to lose it. If I have to listen to another commander say that they can’t understand why anyone would want to get out of this great Air Force when the worst deal they ever had in their whole career was as a T-38 IP at Willie back in the day, I’m going to scream. And then there’s always the lecture about how there really aren’t any “bad deals.” Really? Come on. We all know better and it just fuels bitterness when our leaders don’t even acknowledge that. I’m tired of watching my buddies dive under desks every time the commander walks down the hall for fear that he’s going to drop a 179- or even a 365-day deployment on them with three weeks’ notice. Really now, do we have a rash of guys slitting their wrists right before they go to the AOR or are we that poor at managing? But at least it will come with a pep talk about how it’s good for your “career” to get a little war stink on you, even if it’s just the smell of a desk in some rear echelon office. Another square checked. Maybe you’ll even earn a medal for updating those power point slides over there, or whatever worthless job we’ve invented to inflate our numbers and make it look like the Air Force is pulling its weight in theater. Oh, and after you get back from that little vacation, you’d better be ready for a remote three months later. Sorry, no credit for time served. I’m sure the wife will understand. She’ll be comforted by the mere three hour wait and rude desk clerks at the base medical clinic when the kids inevitably get sick the day after you leave. We’re at war—I get it, I really do. But how on earth can anyone be expected to deal with such constant instability in their lives over such a long period of time and take it with a smile?

But the real problem is much bigger than all of that--we have lost the drive to be good. We were good for so long that we forgot just what exactly it was that made us that way. We have forgotten all of the lessons learned in blood from our predecessors, and focus only on looking good. We held an advantage in both technology and training for a long time and we became complacent. Technology is vital, but if we aren’t experts at using it, what good are we? And now any technological edge we had is being minimized by any third-world country with a checkbook, as cheap electronic attack and air defense systems proliferate. So now we’re down to training and experience to carry us through. Not long ago, we used to laugh in our intelligence briefs when we heard how little enemy pilots flew per year. It’s not so funny anymore, as we struggle to get in the air ourselves. We’ve even resorted to using simulator time to make us appear more experienced on paper, but that is only a mirage. Sims can be decent training, but they are no substitute for flying, no matter how much the bean counters and desk jockeys wish they were! Pilots spend entire assignments training and studying for upgrades, only to get shipped off to a non-fighter assignment just as they start to “get it.” That makes no sense! Why not extend assignments for an extra year and let our guys actually put their obscenely expensive training and newly gained experience to use for even just a little while? Nope. Instead we move them on to a non-fighter assignment to make room for more newbies…after all, the Air Force is short on pilots so we need to keep training new ones. But what good is it to have a ton of fighter pilots, few of whom have much actual experience flying fighters? We have prioritized having “fighter experience” in jobs all across the Air Force…everywhere, that is, except actually in fighters. When we do get an experienced guy in the door, they are always fresh out of the TX course instead of current in the jet. Only one time in the last three years have I seen a guy show up who was mission ready---that was the new weapons officer. We have to re-train all of our “experienced” guys again from mission qualification training on up, so our schedule is one constant upgrade train. Why doesn’t someone do one of those AFSO 21 group hugs and analyze how much money we waste constantly re-training guys from the ground up every couple of years? All to the tune of fifteen grand per flight hour, I might add. Maybe we could use the money saved to buy a new plasma TV to display the schedule or another round of new office furniture. Almost never do we get to just go out and practice advanced CT scenarios, so we spend all of our time just trying to stay afloat instead of actually getting better. And the same story is true throughout the CAF. Result: Most operational squadrons are not worth a damn. And no one seems to care.

Fourteen years in the Air Force, and I’ve yet to have an OG or Wing Commander ask us what our true combat capability is--I mean our true skills, not how we look on our SORTS report. Lots of questions on dirty boots, low zippers, and crooked patches. Lots of questions about why I landed five minutes past my scheduled window on my once-a-year fight-tank-fight blue air DCA sortie. We’ve gotta make the statistics look good, even if they are meaningless, or else someone might have to actually explain to the Wing Commander why I used common sense to get that extra setup while we had the airspace and gas. Even our former crown jewel, RED FLAG, has become a joke. Instead of getting some folks good training, we decided to be all-inclusive and try to get everyone some training. We wouldn’t want anyone to feel left out in today’s Air Force, so once again real combat capability suffers.

And then there is queep. Oh, the queep. We have no support staff anymore, so we spend our time supporting ourselves administratively instead of improving ourselves tactically. On top of that, pilot jobs that used to be manned two or three deep are now single deep at best. So instead of young pilots spending their time studying and learning the ropes underneath someone’s wing, they are now chiefs of a shop. Yet, rather than the chain of command recognizing that fact and re-focusing just on what’s actually important, the demands on ridiculous queep have only risen. Case in point: have you seen an OPR from 20 years ago? They are full of white space and sub-bullets and all sorts of things that are forbidden now. That didn’t seem to hold back all of today’s generals much. Now, we have all of these unwritten rules on how to fill out that form that it has become a voo doo art. For what? Are we better able to evaluate someone who doesn’t have any white space at the end of a line on his performance report? Does it really make a difference if I spell out numbers or use digits? Does it really matter if I abbreviate the word “squadron” as “sq” and “sqdn” in the same section? Does that somehow change the meaning? The real question should be: does it make us more combat capable? Of course not! But, we grind away for hours trying to figure out how to wordsmith in our secret OPR code so that even the bottom feeders look like heroes, but it takes a Little Orphan Annie secret decoder pin to figure out what we’re really trying to say. We had a report kicked back from the wing the other day to make us change the abbreviation “2nd” to “2d.” What on earth was the point of that? It’s death by paper cuts, and I don’t have the energy to spend on such ridiculous nonsense anymore. Not when I’m saddled with forty other “urgent” non-issues, each of which I need to solve right now, yet none of which are actually important. I even heard this little gem: “if we could only get our queep perfect, the tactical stuff will follow naturally.” What? We’ve got it all backwards! We worry about the stuff that doesn’t matter at the expense of what truly does. And the unimportant stuff is all I ever hear about from leadership. It doesn’t matter if we can execute our increasingly complex tactics, handle EA, or even find our sort…as long as the statistics look good and our queep is done right, the bosses are happy. After all, if the minimum training wasn’t good enough, it wouldn’t be the minimum, right? Well we’re going to find out. We’re min-running the entire Air Force. God help us if we ever have an all-out air war. We are going to pay the price in blood on the backs of the minimally trained and inexperienced. We have learned these lessons before. We have been the hollow force. We have seen what blind faith in technology with minimal training does to combat success. Have we forgotten everything we learned in Vietnam?

Not long ago, I had a general tell me that he wasn’t worried about retention because the airline industry had gone down the toilet. Well I’ve got news for him—that doesn’t matter. Because, you see, I’m not the only one that feels this way. Every guy I know is looking for the door and counting the days until their contract is up. Not a single one of them wants an airline job, either. Not one. If they can’t get hired by the Guard, then they’ll just go get an MBA with the new GI Bill and get a regular job. Anything with a bit of stability will do. It turns out we’ve picked up a few non-flying skills along the way, and those are in demand, bad economy or not. It’s never been about the money for us, so the bonus isn’t the driver. It’s been about the mission. Our rewards are purely in the satisfaction that we’ve done a good job, earned the respect of our peers, and made a difference. But it’s just too difficult to see how to make a real difference here anymore. Not in this climate of yes men and party lines and square filling and image-over-substance. We are watching an organization that we once worked so hard to be a part of veer off into insignificance as it focuses so frequently on the unimportant, all while it kicks us square in the junk and expects us to smile.

And that’s why I’m resigning…long hours with little support, no stability or predictability to life, zero career progression, and senior commanders evidently totally missing the point. Our only real heritage—an unfailing drive for excellence—has gone by the wayside in favor of a culture of square filling. I’ve had it—life’s too short to fight an uphill battle for commanders and staffs who won’t listen or don’t believe or maybe don’t even care. So thanks for the memories, it’s been a real slice of life…But I’ve been to the mountain and looked over and I’ve seen the big picture. It wasn’t all green. But it wasn’t Air Force blue either.

* Adapted from the original Dear Boss letter written by then Capt Ron Keys after the Vietnam War.

Hmm, I think that anyone going through UPT right now would say otherwise, but in the cosmic realm that this is coming down from I don't expect to understand the facts that apparently exist. I guess I'll work on that though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Guest AFsock

Before we left the Zoo our AOC showed us some pilot career progression numbers that listed a fighter pilot shortage ~250. That was over three years ago. Other areas were hurting to, but that was the only number I remember.

The fighter pilot shortage numbers are like the carrot on the end of the stick to keep people thinking....well he'll one of these days the flying hours and open cockpits will return. Those shortages fighter pilots needed to fill desks and other positions. They are not jets sitting pilotless on the ramp waiting to go get wrung out.

• Upvote 2

The shortage is not actually in fighter cockpits right now it's in all the other taskings...RPA, MC-12, ALO, staff, etc.

But that's also not the shortage Gen Welsh is talking about.

The impending trainwreck has more to do with the F-35 rolling off the line than anything else. Say what you will about the odds of that thing ever showing up in the timeframe or the numbers currently projected. But we closed 11 fighter squadrons last year alone (and several more in the recent years before that) all under the guise of "accepted short term risk" until the F-35 comes to the rescue to save the world. That's 11+ fighter squadrons worth of fighter pilots that are no longer flying fighters. Many of those will retire, get out, move on to RPAs, have arthritis, etc, before the F-35 opens up. Meanwhile we've cut our b-course squadrons and production to the bare minimum and wouldn't have any operational squadrons to send those guys to anyway. So we will be going through several years of wicked low fighter pilot production numbers in addition to what we already cut.

If the F-35 production line ever truly spins up like it's theoretically supposed to, there will quickly be a shit-ton of fighter cockpits and no one qualified to fly them. And even if we decided it was a good idea to stock a new fighter just with newbies, our pipelines from UPT to IFF to b-courses will not mathematically be able to bridge the gap. Not even close.

That's the impending fighter shortage that has everyone worried.

Let 'em worry. They made the freakin decisions to make it what it is today and what it might be in the future. In true USAF fashion, they will panic with a resultant knee jerk reaction when they think it gets bad enough.

Guest Ponis

Fighter pilot shortage? Then why does the man tell me I can not fly fighters after my RPA assignment is complete?

• Downvote 3

IRT to the PC-ness and the rest of the minutia we are bombarded with that has nothing to do with learning how to kill people well, here is an excellent quote, albeit describing service academy folks but widely applicable to the warrior ethos in all of the armed forces that seems to be getting sucked out of our souls at a rapid rate.

Midshipmen and cadets remain stronger and more aggressive than their male counterparts at civilian schools. They eagerly play sports such as rugby, boxing, karate, lacrosse, and football. They drive fast cars, usually sports cars. They play hard. They drink hard. They are physical, often abusive among each other. They are not trying to prove their manhood: they are celebrating their masculinity. They are competitive, often vulgar, and tough, and every citizen who may someday send a friend or relative into war should rejoice, because combat is competitive, vulgar, and tough, and they will be leading men in combat.

--Admiral James Webb

• Upvote 4

IRT to the PC-ness and the rest of the minutia we are bombarded with that has nothing to do with learning how to kill people well, here is an excellent quote, albeit describing service academy folks but widely applicable to the warrior ethos in all of the armed forces that seems to be getting sucked out of our souls at a rapid rate.

Midshipmen and cadets remain stronger and more aggressive than their male counterparts at civilian schools. They eagerly play sports such as rugby, boxing, karate, lacrosse, and football. They drive fast cars, usually sports cars. They play hard. They drink hard. They are physical, often abusive among each other. They are not trying to prove their manhood: they are celebrating their masculinity. They are competitive, often vulgar, and tough, and every citizen who may someday send a friend or relative into war should rejoice, because combat is competitive, vulgar, and tough, and they will be leading men in combat.

--Admiral James Webb

I can't speak for my fighter brethren, but I know the B-1 community has just lost 6-9 senior instructor/evaluator WSOs who got out right at their ADSC. Why? Well, when we got home from our last deployment, we walked into a series of monthly OREs...including Saturday training that wasn't part of an ORE, but designed to get us ready for an ORE. After six months away from my family, my wing saw fit to deny multiple leave requests and weekends. Meh, part of the job, right? Well, I'm on my second 6 month deployment, and when I get home, we're all going TDY to Dyess because of some runway construction project at Ellsworth. And when we get home from that, we get to do some more OREs in preparation for a phase I ORI.

Perhaps I'm a little cynical...but I sort of feel like the fact that my squadron, including 300+ MX guys, deployed successfully, and the fact that our sister squadron will have deployed successfully before we can go home, meets the intent of a Phase I ORI.

Instead, I expect leave requests to be denied again, I expect to once again miss my daughter's birthday since I'll be TDY 2000 miles away, and I expect that I'm going to lose several weekends home with my family before I deploy over the holidays again. If I'm really lucky, I won't be chastised for having "too much" use-or-lose leave.

Your "Dear Boss" letter pretty much covers it. We've been doing more with less for so long, those of us who are left behind are burned out.

• Upvote 4

Your "Dear Boss" letter pretty much covers it. We've been doing more with less for so long, those of us who are left behind are burned out.

It's time to start doing less with less. Commanders at the Wg level need to start saying "ENOUGH! We can't do everything you want and still retain aviators."

It's time to start doing less with less. Commanders at the Wg level need to start saying "ENOUGH! We can't do everything you want and still retain aviators."

Long rant incoming.

You don't seriously believe the Air Force will ever let the tail wag the dog, do you? Name me one time in history where someone said "wow we're going to have a problem with retention, we're going to dial things back for a bit". The fact is, especially as officers, we've grown accustomed to a certain quality of life that has been guaranteed for multiple years, and they're banking on the fact that enough people will be too afraid to risk that QoL as a civilian, but don't have the foresight to know what's coming down the road.

Timing-wise, let me say this -- from FY1972 to FY1976 the Air Force dropped 20,000 officers and 220k enlisted. From FY1990 to FY1995, it dropped another 22,000 officers and 113k enlisted. We currently have 30k fewer people in the Air Force than from when we started this war. And that's when we were under complete GOP control for most of a decade that was more than happy to skyrocket DoD spending to record levels.

Now, the military is beset on all sides by people who want to slow, stop, and eventually reverse the amount of money we spend on defense. But we don't want to lose defense capability. Where do you find the savings? Personnel. We're [allegedly] drawing down in Iraq, and the end of surging in Afghanistan is looming over the horizon in 2014. If you're not expecting another huge active duty cut in the next 3-5 years, then you haven't been paying attention to history and current trends.

Fighter guys will keep going to UAVs and non-flying assignments, because there are simply fewer squadrons around to go to. What, you didn't realize this when they went from 8 fighter assignments per class at UPT down to 2? And that they went from 0 UAVs up to 3-4 per class? And when they sent a bunch of AFSOC guys to fucking Clovis and still kept deploying them 200 days a year? And when they deployed a bunch of AMC guys so much that people actually start volunteering for UAVs to escape the madness?

How is this even a surprise? It's a long-term, insidious, and most likely unintentional-yet-I-like-where-this-is-going rebalancing of the force. Why should we bother retaining expensive, high maintenance pilots who are tired of deploying, when we can replace them with wide-eyed newbies who we can deploy until they drop? And then, keep enough experienced guys who are just happy enough taking one more assignment in a cockpit, that they won't ever complain? This ensures that we have a just-enough-qualified cadre for the F-35, and a bunch of prior experienced fighter guys that are still on the payroll for the future, but are solving the UAV issue in the present term.

Furthermore, all the benefits we as a military service currently enjoy came from veterans and sympathetic lawmakers fighting for it. The GI bill, the even better post-9/11 GI bill, educational assistance, military retirement (remember REDUX? it wasn't THAT long ago). These things were fought for by vet lawmakers for vets. Well, those people are dying off and retiring slowly, but surely. We're exporting this whole "military service" thing to a very specific, and very small portion of the American population. Look at the people who remember what it was like in the Cold War, honestly appreciate your service, and would give you the shirt off their back to keep you warm. I bet most of them have gray hair.

And as time marches on, they will get fewer and farther between. Look at the current President, and his likely Republican challengers for 2012, not a single goddamn day of military service amongst ANYONE besides Ron Paul. But there sure as hell are a lot of J.D.'s. And you think this is going to get better? In 2000 we talked about how good it was back in 1990. In 2011 we all talk about how good it was in 2000. And in 2020 we'll talk about how good we had it back in 2010.

Change is the only constant you can depend on, and it won't be for the better. We're governed by men of rhetoric, not action. They will proclaim their support of the military loudly, take a PR-sanitized tour of your deployed base with their American flag jumpsuit, and then deploy your stupid gullible ass to another war without thought or care for what you're giving up, while simultaneously gutting 1) your ability to do your job, 2) pay, and 3) benefits to make room for super high-tech procurement contracts so that they can win votes back home. Below these men of rhetoric are generals who have already banked their 19k a month retirement check and follow-on CEO position at a defense contractor, many of whom will not hesitate to RIF you or deploy you so that their excel spreadsheet macro turns green, and it makes their masters happy. As it goes down from star to eagle to oak leaf to bar to stripe, it will get bastardized into "well these are the boss' orders, we have to do our duty", and so, the game continues.

I guess what I'm trying to say here, is that we should get rid of this misconception that aviators have any leverage whatsoever with things like retention. I know everyone thinks "well if they keep screwing with us, we'll all leave and show them who really has the power", but, honestly, that's just wishful thinking. And, even worse, a lot of people think "well if I just play the game, I'll get taken care of", leading to an attitude where you'll casually throw your own people under the bus just to keep that quality of life you have. The situation will continue to erode, so I guess my advice is to protect yourself and your families from the looming storm ahead, but don't forget to take care of your fellow servicemembers and vets, because nobody else will.

• Upvote 25

I haven't been in all that long, I'm getting ready to start the 4th year of my first actual flying assignment, but I learned something pretty early on that I tell everyone. It's sort of become my motto: The Air Force was the absolute best that it ever will be on the day that you joined. I don't mean that as it's new and cool, I mean that in the fact that there will be dozens of changes, and none of them are good. I challenged a bunch of the guys in my squadron to come up with one good change that's happened to the Air Force since they joined, the only one anybody could come up with... now we can walk and talk on the phone at the same time. Seriously, think about it.

Edited by tcf5566
  • Upvote 1

Interesting compare/contrast.

Two quotes from that thread I thought I'd share here....

1) Have truer words ever been spoken?

Anytime you make a computer-based training lesson out of something, it immediately loses any and all effectiveness

2) Fun w/ inter-Service bashing. Even as a bashee, this is funny....

Don't think of the the AF as functioning as a military force - it's more like the DMV with some guns.

:beer:

There was a quote on one of the pages that went something to the effect of:

In this paperless military' date=' computers have allowed me to do three times the paper work twice as fast[/quote']

I laughed pretty hard after reading that... then shed a couple of tears as I realized it was true...

Perhaps I'm a little cynical...but I sort of feel like the fact that my squadron, including 300+ MX guys, deployed successfully, and the fact that our sister squadron will have deployed successfully before we can go home, meets the intent of a Phase I ORI.

The ORI: Pack up your sh*t, get out of town, kill bad guys, go home. I remember right after Gulf War I Langley was gonna get hit with a fly-away ORI. The wing asked TAC to reconsider seeing how they just did it for real, and that should count for that year's ORI. I was at Nellis at the time so I don't know how that ever worked out for them.

Can any old guys weigh in on this?

On another note, they had Seemore get home from the Storm and go to Red Flag shortly thereafter. OK sucks to go TDY after being gone so long but hey, it's Vegas! Great idea until they ended up basing their jets out of indian Springs and living in the forking crappy 1950s era run down barracks.

So this really isn't anything new.

EDIT: For spelling.

Edited by Stitch