Bin Laden dead!

SocialD

From a diplomatic and strategic standpoint, Pakistan has to walk the fine line that is appeasing Islam and helping the US. That's what is at work here, it's a complicated entanglement. Is it in our interests to chuck all that in the trash because of seeming hypocrisy by the Pakistani's? I think they're doing a good job spewing bullsh*t about how we didn't get permission. My bet is it will go away, just like all the other controversial things we've done there.

FM

It looks like the Pakis are trying to keep the wereckage/parts concealed from view. Hopefully they're doing that because we asked them to not because they don't want us to see what they've salvaged.

The White House has finally made it official:

bin Laden death photos

I really don't care that they aren't going to release the photos, but I do have an issue with the rationale behind their reasoning for not releasing the photos.

"Mr. Obama said he concluded that images of Bin Laden, bloodied by gunshots, would do nothing to persuade skeptics, but could inflame tensions in the Muslim world and pose problems for America’s nationnal security."

IMO, I really don't care if tensions were inflamed in the Muslim world. I know of quite a few people who were inflamed when several U.S. citizens were videotaped having their heads sawed off with a butcher knife by al-Qaeda or people adhering to jihad.

Why, oh why, do we have to pussify ourselves and make sure that we aren't offending anybody in the entire world? Just say you aren't going to release the photos, period.

The White House has finally made it official:

bin Laden death photos

I really don't care that they aren't going to release the photos, but I do have an issue with the rationale behind their reasoning for not releasing the photos.

"Mr. Obama said he concluded that images of Bin Laden, bloodied by gunshots, would do nothing to persuade skeptics, but could inflame tensions in the Muslim world and pose problems for America’s nationnal security."

IMO, I really don't care if tensions were inflamed in the Muslim world. I know of quite a few people who were inflamed when several U.S. citizens were videotaped having their heads sawed off with a butcher knife by al-Qaeda or people adhering to jihad.

Why, oh why, do we have to pussify ourselves and make sure that we aren't offending anybody in the entire world? Just say you aren't going to release the photos, period.

What the POTUS meant to say was that release of the photos could cause attacks against US forces deployed to the Middle East and that he was not willing to place US troops in harm's way anymore than they already are.

• Upvote 2

It looks like the Pakis are trying to keep the wereckage/parts concealed from view. Hopefully they're doing that because we asked them to not because they don't want us to see what they've salvaged.

More photos are getting released of the larger wreckage on the net so if they are trying to keep prying eyes away they are failing. The fact that they just found Bin Laden in their country should be enough leverage for us to 'peepy slap' them if they don't return our wreckage to us...I'd hope.

"We don't need to spike the football. And I think that, given the graphic nature of these photos, it would create some national security risk." Think that sums it up.

I suppose the question is: would the photos inflame folks that would otherwise not take up arms against us? As for those that already wish us harm, I would think if they COULD do more to harm us they WOULD regardless of whether we published the photos or not. I have my doubts about the former. The latter I'm pretty confident about.

Edit: Punctuation

Edited by zrooster99

Rule one of a gun fight: don't bring a squirt gun.

EDIT: Rule one of a gunfight: don't be a piss-ant coward douchebag with no real training who stands no chance against a true patriot and professional.

I suppose the question is: would the photos inflame folks that would otherwise not take up arms against us?

I think that's the judgment call and it apparently has been made in the affirmative. I probably would have been inclined to release the pics, but then again we saw all the violence caused by the Danish cartoon or the Koran burning shennanigans.

To me, it seems like a lot of the more radical Muslims out there get their panties in a wad easily and believe "being offended" means "rampage through the streets and kill people and break shit," so if there is a genuine belief that releasing the photos would cause more violence directed at U.S. forces and personnel then I guess it's the right decision.

I think that's the judgment call and it apparently has been made in the affirmative. I probably would have been inclined to release the pics, but then again we saw all the violence caused by the Danish cartoon or the Koran burning shennanigans.

To me, it seems like a lot of the more radical Muslims out there get their panties in a wad easily and believe "being offended" means "rampage through the streets and kill people and break shit," so if there is a genuine belief that releasing the photos would cause more violence directed at U.S. forces and personnel then I guess it's the right decision.

See, that's the deal. If they're more radical Muslims aren't they already predisposed to get into the fight against us. Make no mistake, UBL was not their prophet or anything that should be put on the same level as their (all Muslims) holy book. Those who would be offended by pix of his death probably already don't like us. So, I definitely lean the other direction on the issue, but "the boss" didn't call me to ask my opinion, so I suppose that's a moot point.

Edited by zrooster99

A guy walks into a bar and orders a drink called a Bin Laden.

Bartender says to the guy, “What’s a Bin Laden?”

The guys says, “Two shots and a splash of water.”

:beer:

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

That's a problem I've had with the story since I first heard one helicopter didn't make it out.

I'm glad we got him, but all this backtracking and revising of different aspects and details of the raid is going to leave a lot of people wondering "WTF?".

CNN, eat shit.

The reason behind all the story changing?....Brand new stealth helicopter used in raid. No wonder they were able to carry everyone...

post-6480-0-33220100-1304600335_thumb.jp

See my main forum post for the rest of the pics...or the news agencies starting to drop it.

Brand new stealth helicopter used in raid. No wonder they were able to carry everyone...

Also conjecture.

Edit to add: awesome video of Obama's alternate speech from Sunday night.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"We don't need to spike the football. And I think that, given the graphic nature of these photos, it would create some national security risk." Think that sums it up.

Looks like the POTUS is taking a modified NEVER TALK TO THE MEDIA approach.

Nothing to gain. Lots to lose. He's dead, next target.