Bin Laden dead!

SocialD

Guest Miclhstrase

blah blah blah..

SC

He's dead man. Is it really worth the lie if there's any chance of him cropping up somewhere? If he's not dead, then he's "taken care of" by some other means. Good enough for me.

America, fvck yeah!

Any chance that the hero's will be identified at some point? I suspect not considering the profile of their target and their secretive nature in general. Even though these guys don't do the job they do with hopes of earning medals or recognition, you can't help but want to acknowledge and praise the men who achieved this victory.

Any chance that the hero's will be identified at some point?

Highly unlikely. If so, very few.

Everyone they care about knowing already knows.

Hope Obama invites them for a beer or three at the White House, even if it has to be late at night with no cameras.

Guest 12XU2A3X3

Haha, this fool was tweeting about the raid while it was going on....

Brilliant!

Story Here

"Since taliban (probably) don't have helicpoters, and since they're saying it was not "ours", so must be a complicated situation,"

no kidding (x2)

How did John Lithgow get in there?

It turns out that the picture was taken during the NFL Draft. "With the 12th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Chris Ponder, QB FSU." It would explain the reactions.

• Upvote 1

I will celebrate when I no longer have to take off my shoes and get groped when I go to the airport. He was just one guy in a worldwide network, this ain't over.

Highly unlikely. If so, very few.

If it were me, I'd rather the entire world not know my identity. America may be damn proud, but there's alot of folks out there who may want to harm my family. ...There's something to be said for quiet professionalism.

The situation room:

5680724572_d4696d593d.jpg

This shot makes me sad: There are slide-clickers even at the O-7 level.

• Upvote 1

If it were me, I'd rather the entire world not know my identity. America may be damn proud, but there's alot of folks out there who may want to harm my family. ...There's something to be said for quiet professionalism.

This shot makes me sad: There are slide-clickers even at the O-7 level.

You do know who that O-7 is don't you?

5680724572_d4696d593d.jpg

Baseops.net post: "You fuckers will not believe where I am right now..."

Edited by Spoo
  • Upvote 7

You do know who that O-7 is don't you?

An O-7 who is a senior pilot with jump wings, works at the Pentagon, has 2 Bronze Stars, the Legion of Merit, a shit-ton of Air medals & Aieral Achievement Medals, and fought in the first Gulf War?

An O-7 who is a senior pilot with jump wings, works at the Pentagon, has 2 Bronze Stars, the Legion of Merit, a shit-ton of Air medals & Aieral Achievement Medals, and fought in the first Gulf War?

Link to the White House flickr photostream where the shot comes from (including hi-res)

Here's the official caption that contains the individuals in the photo.

President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden, along with members of the national security team, receive an update on the mission against Osama bin Laden in the Situation Room of the White House, May 1, 2011. Seated, from left, are: Brigadier General Marshall B. “Brad” Webb, Assistant Commanding General, Joint Special Operations Command; Deputy National Security Advisor Denis McDonough; Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton; and Secretary of Defense Robert Gates. Standing, from left, are: Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff; National Security Advisor Tom Donilon; Chief of Staff Bill Daley; Tony Binken, National Security Advisor to the Vice President; Audrey Tomason Director for Counterterrorism; John Brennan, Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism; and Director of National Intelligence James Clapper. Please note: a classified document seen in this photograph has been obscured. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

Link to the White House flickr photostream where the shot comes from (including hi-res)

Here's the official caption that contains the individuals in the photo.

Negative. BG Webb is one of two ACGs. JSOC now has 4 GO/FOs... (as opposed to the two it had just a few years ago).

JSOC Heirarchy:

CO - VADM McRaven (soon to be CDR USSOCOM)

DCG - BG LaCamera (formerly JSOC J3)

ACG - BG Thomas (formerly DDSO and prior to that JSOC CoS)

ACG - BG Webb (formerly at AFSOC)

Man, I hate to be the a-hole in the room, but has anyone seen a body?

How about a photo with a 7.62mm hole in a forehead?

I'm not near a SIPR or an intel brief, but we had pics of Uday and Qusay within hours. Why not this time?

No disrespect to our brothers that probably killed his ass dead, but does anyone else have a wierd feeling about this?

SC

You aren't going to find anything on the SIPR ref. this msn. Uday and Qusay were obliterated by a conventional army unit using TOW missiles in broad daylight after a long barricade situation. This mission is in a whole different class... legendary...

Any chance that the hero's will be identified at some point? I suspect not considering the profile of their target and their secretive nature in general. Even though these guys don't do the job they do with hopes of earning medals or recognition, you can't help but want to acknowledge and praise the men who achieved this victory.

Trust me, these men would rather not be singled out. They aren't in it for accolades or recognition. They've been responsible for literally thousands of EKIA (none of which have garnered nearly the fanfare of this Op) and are happy to remain in anonymity.

I just hope our patriotic OSD civilians don't leak the operational details while chasing a moment of press glory.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are additional links to open source articles on this topic:

http://thecable.fore...osama_bin_laden

The timeline of the mission to kill Osama bin Laden

Posted By Josh Rogin Monday, May 2, 2011 - 2:45 AM Share

The mission to kill Osama bin Laden was years in the making, but began in earnest last fall with the discovery of a suspicious compound near Islamabad, and culminated with a helicopter based raid in the early morning hours in Pakistan Sunday.

"Last August, after years of painstaking work by our intelligence community, I was briefed on a possible lead to bin Laden. It was far from certain, and it took many months to run this thread to ground," President Obama told the nation in a speech Sunday night.

"Today, at my direction, the United States launched a targeted operation against that compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan. A small team of Americans carried out the operation with extraordinary courage and capability. No Americans were harmed. They took care to avoid civilian casualties. After a firefight, they killed Osama bin Laden and took custody of his body," he said.

--------------------------------

http://www.npr.org/2...aden-was-hiding

Did Pakistan Know Where Bin Laden Was Hiding?

by Alan Greenblatt

Credit: NPR

text size A A A May 2, 2011 Gen. Ashfaq Kayani, the Pakistani army chief of staff, spoke to cadets at the Kakul Military Academy on April 23.

"The terrorists' backbone has been broken and, inshallah [God willing], we will soon prevail," he said in his speech, which was broadcast on state television.

The fact that Osama bin Laden was living roughly a mile away from Kakul in a fortified compound has proved embarrassing both for the Pakistani military and for its civilian government, calling into question whether they knew about his presence in Abbottabad — or how they could have failed to know.

• Upvote 2