Bin Laden dead!

SocialD

Great story! On the other hand, isn't it very specific, almost to the point of being harmful to future ops?

Yea, like almost opsec concern specific, naming specific weapons employed, tactics used, etc. are those details even verified or accurate? I hope the author just inferred these facts and someone wasn't honestly divulging with such specificity what happened on the mission.

Doesn't seem legit; why was this not news? Why does this unnamed "white house insider" contradict every other person who's spoken about the process?

Gates:

"I worked for a lot of these guys. And this is one of the most courageous calls – decisions — that I think I’ve ever seen a president make,” Gates told CBS in a wide-ranging interview aired on “60 Minutes.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0511/55022.html#ixzz1TvWa87jw

Why did you even bring this up here again?

To the SEAL who put two in bin Laden :beer::salut:

Edited by nsplayr

Doesn't seem legit; why was this not news? Why does this unnamed "white house insider" contradict every other person who's spoken about the process?

Gates:

Why did you even bring this up here again?

To the SEAL who put two in bin Laden :beer::salut:

I was thinking the same thing, but wasn't sure if this was posted and anyone knew who this Pat Dollard guy was .

Serious question time. Hypothetically if this was a AF asset that crashed in the compound, would this incident show up on the pilots record? Or would the level of risk of the mission have justified the loss of an aircraft (ie Son Tay).

I don't know how the army works with respect to Class A incidents.

Surprised? No.

Pissed? Yes, for the amount of money we give them every year...

We crashed the fucker. If you don't want anyone to have access to it, don't crash it. Otherwise, be prepared to let others pick through the remains.

Cost of doing business.

• 2 months later...

It's a nice story, who knows how accurate it is or not.

"Gump, you are a gawddamned genius!"

http://dailycaller.com/2011/11/07/correcting-the-fairy-tale-a-seals-account-of-how-osama-bin-laden-really-died/

“It became obvious in the weeks evolving after the mission that the story that was getting put out there was not only untrue, but it was a really ugly farce of what did happen,” said Chuck Pfarrer, author of Seal Target Geronimo: The Inside Story of the Mission to Kill Osama Bin Laden.

The helicopters, called “Stealth Hawks,” are inconspicuous machines concealing cutting-edge technology. They entered the compound as planned, with “Razor 1″ disembarking its team of SEALs on the roof of the compound — not on the ground level. There was no crash landing. That wouldn’t occur until after bin Laden was dead.

The idea of when the thing crashed relative to when bin Laden took his last breath is a non-issue.

Anyone who knows how these things works can put together the pieces well enough to have a pretty damn good idea of when in the timeline the helo crashed. That was pretty obvious on day one.

This isn't news, the guy is hyping his book and making money off the work of others. He's a former SEAL with a big mouth and an opportunity to cash in using his former status as a SEAL. There seem to be lots of them around lately.

The good news is that fucker is still dead.

I agree that the BL is that the MF is still dead.

I disagree that politicians are to be trusted more than a former SEAL, big mouth or otherwise. I don't know him, don't know his reputation other than if he made it as a SEAL, that gets my respect. And I'm surprised to see you call out a SEAL, former or otherwise, so. That presumes you know him or of him to make such an assertion.

But as wannabe power players like Brennan were so quick to talk the cool talk and then have to walk it back because they were flat wrong makes me think that the truth could still be out there. That does seem to be current President's major claim to fame as he runs for re-election. Something like making money off the work of others.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/al-qaeda/8491108/Osama-bin-Laden-day-two-and-a-new-version-of-how-events-unfolded.html

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0511/54162.html

Book sales or not.

I agree that the BL is that the MF is still dead.

:beer:

I disagree that politicians are to be trusted more than a former SEAL, big mouth or otherwise.

Your inference is incorrect if you are getting that from my post.

And I'm surprised to see you call out a SEAL, former or otherwise, so.

I'm not sure what you mean by "call out" but yes, he is making a big deal out of nothing wrt the timing of the crash relative to the last breath of OBL.

Do you have many SEAL friends? My friends are quiet and confident about their work and good shits in the squadron bar. They are not posers or profilers. They are less like Jesse Ventura than you might think.

...the truth could still be out there. That does seem to be current President's major claim to fame as he runs for re-election. Something like making money off the work of others.

What truth are you so concerned about? Do you think there needs to be some major revelation to unmask a conspiratorial coverup?

Or are you just pissed that Obama is trying to take credit for a mission he did in fact approve? I give him credit for having the balls to take fucking terrorists out all around the world in a rather aggressive manner. I'm not going to vote for him because of it.

Look, Obama was in the White House when bin Laden bit the dust so he gets to take credit. Big deal, its not like it is going to cause a big swing of votes in his favor and lock the election for him. It also doesn't mean you have to vote for him if that's what you're worried about.

Timing is everything and there is no justice.

My point in posting the article was to note that there is a different version of the raid being told.

A previous poster wondered if the "official" story was true or not.

The SEAL, whom you said had a big mouth, gives a very different account of how the raid progressed supposedly via interviews with those involved, not just about when the helicopter crashed.

I noted the differences from the oft-changed official story and this one.

You chose to comment.

I imagine the true story is somewhere else and I hope it gets told one day accurately.

If more or credibly different versions or details are revealed, I hope those are posted.

Edited by brickhistory

My point in posting the article was to note that there is a different version of the raid being told.

Noted. But who cares? Seriously?

If more or credibly different versions or details are revealed, I hope those are posted.

Why?

Blah blah blah and then Osama bin Laden died from high speed lead poisoning and we dumped his ass in the ocean somewhere. That's an awesome story.

I don't see what else matters.

Noted. But who cares? Seriously?

I don't see what else matters.

Then why keep commenting?

A different account of what happened is presented. I find that interesting.

I'm not looking for a p1ssing contest, but I will post on-topic thoughts and items if I choose. You can choose to read them and comment on them or ignore them.

Edited by brickhistory