German Ultralight

aquajam77

pretty interesting...

Full Story

Ever dreamt of buzzing around the sky in an aerial hot rod, with nothing but clouds for company?

Just last week, a new vehicle, the FlyNano, was unveiled at the Aero 2011 trade show in Friedrichshafen. The new single-person aircraft was designed by Finnish aeronautical engineer Aki Suokas.

Alexander Schmieden, FlyNano spokesman for Germany, said the FlyNano received a lot of attention at the trade fair.

"We were overwhelmed - we had the world premiere last Wednesday," he told Deutsche Welle. "We didn't do a lot of advertising, but we found that everyone was talking about it at the trade fair. We've especially had a lot of interest from the US."

flynano-aero-2011.jpg

pretty interesting...

Full Story

flynano-aero-2011.jpg

Looks like some new age salad chopper.

If it really flys there should be a video out there. YouTube only has a promotional featuring stills with some mellow backgourn tunes. Hell, if it is real they should at least have a video of model in a wind tunnel.

Cool looking,... but the Cri-cri is probably smaller, and does aerobatics... plus you can log multi-engine time.

A little bigger, more expensive, but very cool also,... check out the Icon A5. http://www.iconaircraft.com/video-icon-on-cnn-edge-of-discovery.html

Kirk Hawkins flew F-16's in the AF, and decided he could do more. You should have been to their corporate party at Oshkosh last year.

I'd say he's done a lot better than going to the airlines...

Edited by Huggyu2

I'd say he's done a lot better than going to the airlines...

There are tons of things, airlines or not, that the smart, talented, highly trained, highly educated, highly motivated, and highly pissed off pilot force can (and will) do that don't involve spending an extra instant more on active duty than they have to.

Kirk Hawkins flew F-16's in the AF, and decided he could do more. You should have been to their corporate party at Oshkosh last year.

Huggy, sounds like you may have some insider info. Can you shed any light on the "real" release date for the A5? I've been watching that for nearly 4 years now, with a serious eye toward buying, but the delivery dates keep getting pushed back. Their website now has 2015 positions and implies the earliest deliveries (the "ICON 100") will be in 2013. If memory serves, 4Q09 was their original stated delivery date. Is this just routine snags on the way to bringing a new product to market, or are there deeper problems?

PS: Your PM inbox is full again. Price of being the popular kid! :beer:

This is what you want. It's faster than the A5 (maximum allowed by LSA rules) and doesn't need a support trailer because the range on 25 gallons of car/marine gasoline or 100LL is about 1,000 miles. It is not only amphibious but also has snow skis that retract with the gear.

Akoya by LISA Airplanes

AKOYAoverLakeBourget.jpg

AKOYAoverLakeBourget2.jpg

Edited by Check 6

This is what you want. It's faster than the A5 (maximum allowed by LSA rules) and doesn't need a support trailer because the range on 25 gallons of car/marine gasoline or 100LL is about 1,000 miles. It is not only amphibious but also has snow skis that retract with the gear.

Holy Crap, are you right--I do want one!! :drinking: Hell, I already have a French airplane, so this would fit right in....

Unfortunately, it looks like they are even further behind on any actual production models than is Icon. Also, I don't see any indication on their website of an intent to market in the US--that may represent certification issues, which may or may not be overcome....

Note there's a difference between LSA as defined in Europe vs by the FAA--by my read, this aircraft would NOT qualify as an LSA under FAA rules (too fast, variable pitch prop; it seems to meet all the others with room to spare). As for the A5's trailer, I actually regard that as a plus--you can park the thing in your garage and tow it to wherever you want to take off, or you can park it at the airport/lake, as you choose; at the lake, you can pull it in & out of the water at any boat ramp for temp storage or transport. This Akoya looks like it could probably be trailered in much the same way, but I don't see any mention of that on their website.

I'll definitely be watching this one--thanks for the pointer! :beer:

Holy Crap, are you right--I do want one!! :drinking: Hell, I already have a French airplane, so this would fit right in....

Unfortunately, it looks like they are even further behind on any actual production models than is Icon. Also, I don't see any indication on their website of an intent to market in the US--that may represent certification issues, which may or may not be overcome....

Note there's a difference between LSA as defined in Europe vs by the FAA--by my read, this aircraft would NOT qualify as an LSA under FAA rules (too fast, variable pitch prop; it seems to meet all the others with room to spare). As for the A5's trailer, I actually regard that as a plus--you can park the thing in your garage and tow it to wherever you want to take off, or you can park it at the airport/lake, as you choose; at the lake, you can pull it in & out of the water at any boat ramp for temp storage or transport. This Akoya looks like it could probably be trailered in much the same way, but I don't see any mention of that on their website.

I'll definitely be watching this one--thanks for the pointer! :beer:

It is close to certification under EASA/ULM. Their website doesn't tell the complete story.

The Vh speed restriction under U.S. S-LSA rules is easy to comply with and the prop is ground adjustable.

You can learn more here www.surveymonkey.com/sunnfun.

Edited by Check 6

It is close to certification under EASA/ULM. Their website doesn't tell the complete story.

The Vh speed restriction under U.S. S-LSA rules is easy to comply with and the prop is ground adjustable.

You can learn more here www.surveymonkey.com/sunnfun.

Interesting survey--thanks for the additional pointer.

I see where they indicated (in the survey) the 120 Vh restriction--but that's contradicted on their main web page:

VC, Cruising speed 230 km/h 124 kts

(à 75%)

(note, no mention of Vh on the web page, but even the 75% cruise number is faster, so....)

And their description of the prop doesn't sound "ground adjustable" to me:

- Three-blade electric variable pitch propeller

[...]

- Electrical controls with position indicators and warnings for flaps, trim, variable pitch and retractable landing gear

By derating the engine, they could "easily" comply with the max speed, and by putting a different prop on comply w/ the fixed-prop--but, at what cost to performance, cost, overall design, etc? If this thing lives up to half the marketing on the website, it'll be impressive; I hope they don't compromise too much to ensure LSA status....

Interesting survey--thanks for the additional pointer.

I see where they indicated (in the survey) the 120 Vh restriction--but that's contradicted on their main web page:

(note, no mention of Vh on the web page, but even the 75% cruise number is faster, so....)

And their description of the prop doesn't sound "ground adjustable" to me:

By derating the engine, they could "easily" comply with the max speed, and by putting a different prop on comply w/ the fixed-prop--but, at what cost to performance, cost, overall design, etc? If this thing lives up to half the marketing on the website, it'll be impressive; I hope they don't compromise too much to ensure LSA status....

Good questions. Their website is focused on the European ULM specifications, so kind of apples/oranges. It can easily meet the US LSA standards (different prop) and will likely be the only amphibious LSA that will meet the Vh speed due to its very low drag (no sponsons).

Thank you for the survey.