Looking at Electronic Logbook Software

Sondecker

Hey guys, this is my first post. I just transferred to the Air Force Academy after doing some civilian flying. I have about 240 hours (part 61 and 141) and it is all on paper logs. I have been thinking of changing over to an electronic logbook program (I would still maintain the paper logbook for checkrides and a backup. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with a program that is good at tracking military and civilian hours. I just got on the flying team here and will be flying a bit in T-41s and T-51s and hopefully will get a pilot slot and I want a program that will be flexible enough to handle all my flights. Here are some things that I would like:

-Ability to scan in documents (logbook pages, pictures, medicals) to each flight

-iPhone interfacing would be nice (add flights on the go, view my logbook, etc...)

-Mac and Windows support

-Online support would be nice too

-Ability to add different time categories

-Automatically spit out FM 8710 and flight time reports

I am leaning towards Safelog but the only thing I don't like is the licensing issue of having to keep paying but I do like the user interface and the updates would be nice.

Any ideas or advice? Anyone know of any free programs that might be useable? Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

PS I had found a thread on logbook software but they hadn't addressed all the little things that I am looking for.

• Upvote 1

LogbookPro is considered somewhat of the 'gold standard' of electronic logbooks.

http://www.nc-software.com/

I don't use it, so I can't point-for-point reference if it has all of the things you are looking for, but many professional pilots use it.

Personally, I use an Excel spreadsheet that does everything I need it to at this point in my career (like math!).

I've used Logbook Pro for about 5 years. I like it a lot. It's not perfect, but it's the best I've found.

-Ability to scan in documents (logbook pages, pictures, medicals) to each flight

I don't think it has this. You have to either start with your current totals from your paperlogbook, or go back yourself and log each flight individually. I chose to log each flight out of my paper logbook to make my e-logbook as complete as possible. It will track completion and expiration dates and tell you when you're overdue, but I don't think it stores scanned images.

-iPhone interfacing would be nice (add flights on the go, view my logbook, etc...)

They have an app. It had pretty poor reviews at first, so I haven't tried it. They're on version 2.x, so maybe they've fixed the bugs.

-Mac and Windows support

Don't know. I'm sure their site has that info.

-Online support would be nice too

Their support is done via a forum. Since you're here, you obviously can use one of those.

-Ability to add different time categories

You can add all the custom columns you want.

-Automatically spit out FM 8710 and flight time reports

Yep. 8710s, Jepp format logbooks, their format logbooks, reports... And they've got a query tool so you can find how many PIC, night hours you had in retractable, complex aircraft between October 2001 and February 2002. Point is it's powerful if you learn how to use it.

Logbook Pro has done probably 20 updates since I've had it. All free so far.

I'll echo the LogbookPro comments and add:

-I use the v2.0 app on my iPad and love it. Very easy to use and synchronizes online with your home PC logbook automatically each time you open the app. I believe the iPhone/iPad apps are identical.

-The PC version also has a function that allows you to automatically calculate a conversion for your military time when filling out airline applications.

-I've also heard good things about a program called LogTenPro, though I haven't used it. That program also has an app for the iPhone.

I use SafeLog from Dauntless Software and I really like it. It has a ton of options that I unfortunately don't use, but the fact that the guy continually updates it, and will even modify it and make changes to it based on your input is nice.

The 8710 feature is nice

The ability to print Jepp style pages is nice

The online backup is nice

The ability to have it on more than one computer is nice

The fee is not so nice, but it really isn't that much for a 5 year subscription.

Sledy

Edit spelling

Edited by sledy

• 5 years later...

Personally, I use an Excel spreadsheet that does everything I need it to at this point in my career (like math!).

I'm with Hacker.  A good excel product works great, doesn't cost money, and is as customizable as your excel skills allow.  I'm not a huge excel guru, but have made it what I need - can track any type of time, approaches, etc., 30/60/90 hours/sorties, etc.  Any info you'll ever need (from personal gee whiz, to unfucking the HARM office who lost your stuff, to ATP application, to airline apps, etc.) is sortable/easy to find.

I keep mine on my google drive, so it's instantly accessible/editable from any device I have internet access on (or I can download a copy, edit, and upload later once I have internet access).

Edited by brabus

Oddly enough, I just read two days ago that ForeFlight has a logbook. 

Based on how Tyson Weihs is masterfully reinventing everything related to electronic pilot aids, there is no doubt that if ForeFlight's logbook isn't the best, it will be very shortly.

• Upvote 1

• 5 years later...

Anyone with new updates? Id like to finally step into the 21st century and get a digital logbook that makes it easy for cfi/cfiis to sign off flights.  Is there one where they just sign/swipe their finger on the ipad after the flight and/or click on an emailed link somehow?

Seems a lot of people are using myflightbook... anyone use it/have insight?

& before someone suggests it im not using foreflight (i know, gasp!) -fltplango instead.

I guess most importantly when these logbooks go obsolete, is there a easy way to move them to a new program/database? 

Is there one where they just sign/swipe their finger on the ipad after the flight and/or click on an emailed link somehow?

I know you said “before someone suggests ForeFlight”, but if this is what  you’re looking for, ForeFlight makes this incredibly easy. 

Garmin’s EFB has a logbook too but it’s not as good as ForeFlight’s. If obsolescence is something you’re worried about down the line, just save your logbook as an excel file from time to time. Pretty much all of them allow that to my knowledge. 

FWIW, I used to use Excel but switched to ForeFlight.  

• Upvote 1

I've used MyFlightBook for quite a few years and find it to be pretty solid (and free; although I usually throw a few bucks a year in donation for using it). It'll back up to the cloud/Google Drive, you can download it to Excel, and you can customize it to add categories you want to log (including Military Primary/Secondary time, Other time, etc.), so it's pretty versatile.

It'll even pick up flights/hours on its own if you set it up and give telemetry data, although I'm sure it's not ideal if your hours/stick time is lower than the plane go up and plane go down time it logs. It also seems to have a database of planes and will auto populate them if you're flying multiple bug smashers in a school/club/FBO.