C-12 Huron info (Not MC-12)

Guest FoSho

Did a search and all that came up was MC-12 info. I'm looking for current and specific info on C-12's. The following are my questions:

1) What's the ops tempo like?

2) Are they all short tours?

3) Where are they located and where do I find current locations that are open?

4) What are the pros and cons with this gig?

5) Does this assignment make you eligible for a non-vol MC-12 tour?

Mobility dude here looking for some "change". Considering C-12 as an option for next assignment or short tour.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Safe&Clear

Not many normal haul-the-mail C-12 squadrons left out there; just Alaska and Japan I think???

The only other way to fly a C-12 nowadays (other than Corpus) is to do the Air Attache/ Embassy program-- and even then there are VERY few Embassies left which have their own bird for you to fly. (Shame...)

2) Are they all short tours?

No

3) Where are they located...

Locations (# of billets): (NOT including Embassy birds) Yokota (10), Elmendorf (7), Corpus Christi (11), Ft Rucker (AFMC) (3), Dhahran (3), Buenos Aires (a flying Joint Staff tour) (1), "Data Masked" (2). I didn't see anythiing at Kirtland, but I'm limited to looking at manning document billets with the 11MxJ C-12 AFSC.

There are also about 9 Embassy birds. You have to apply to be an Asst Air Attache which is an annual process announced via AMS Robot email. Since those are 2-3 yr tours, only 3 or so of the flying attaché billets come open each year. There’s also a C-12 at Andrews to support the Embassy units with Stan/Eval, Mx swaps, and currency during attaché training, etc, but they usually only hire former attache’s.

... and where do I find current locations that are open?

Line flying units rarely if ever submit requisitions that would be listed in the PRD part of AMS (under Search Requirements). You could try calling the units above to see if they have guys leaving in your cycle, or contact your AFPC assignment officer.

5) Does this assignment make you eligible for a non-vol MC-12 tour?

Depends. Attache duty, no, you can’t be deployed from your attaché gig. Nor Dhahran or Buenos Aires either. Otherwise, whether or not PACAF, AETC, or AFMC chooses to pay their MC-12 bill with C-12 pilots is up to the command. PACAF is required to fill approx. 24 MC-12s every year, and certainly they'll use some of their seventeen C-12 dudes, but they also have entire tanker, AWACS, C-17, and C-130 squadrons, too.

• 6 years later...
On 1/4/2017 at 11:50 PM, gucci said:

Anyone have any updates on number of aircraft, tour lengths, potential as second assignment?

2x C-12F (King Air 200) at Elmo; 3 years

3x C-12J (Beech 1900C) at Yokota; 2 years with a pretty easy extension to 3 years.

1 C-12J at Holloman for testing

2 (I think) C-12Cs at Edwards shared between the test pilots and the C-12 schoolhouse

2 C-12Cs at Andrews for DIA training 

multiple embassy locations with C-12Cs or Ds, including Bangkok, Manila, Cairo, Budapest, Brasilia, Bogota, Somewhere in Turkey, and I think Nairobi.   There could be more.

Elmo and Yokota are reasonable to get as a 2nd assignment.  Helps to be an IP in whatever airframe you're coming from, but not necessarily a requirement.     PM for more.

All - Happy New Year 2017! Send a PM if you're a mid O-3 to O-5 interested in C-12's to Central America. Fly Safe.

Last I saw that world would not work join spouse assignments. Is that still the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, propflux said:

2x C-12F (King Air 200) at Elmo; 3 years

3x C-12J (Beech 1900C) at Yokota; 2 years with a pretty easy extension to 3 years.

1 C-12J at Holloman for testing

2 (I think) C-12Cs at Edwards shared between the test pilots and the C-12 schoolhouse

2 C-12Cs at Andrews for DIA training 

multiple embassy locations with C-12Cs or Ds, including Bangkok, Manila, Cairo, Budapest, Brasilia, Bogota, Somewhere in Turkey, and I think Nairobi.   There could be more.

Elmo and Yokota are reasonable to get as a 2nd assignment.  Helps to be an IP in whatever airframe you're coming from, but not necessarily a requirement.     PM for more.

There's apparently one in Botswana, and another in Saudi.  

5 hours ago, Lstcause257 said:

Last I saw that world would not work join spouse assignments. Is that still the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a medical clearance for family ... I don't think joint spouse is likely in this place.

Edited by D_Vezencuando

20 hours ago, propflux said:

The Saudi one is supposed to be a good deal, but I think it's a remote.   lots of flying and not much queep

Location wise (can't speak to the assignment specifics) - Arabian peninsula aka "armpit of the world". Hard pass. I've been to Botswana, and was pleasantly surprised. I'd take it any day of the week and twice on Sunday over Saudi...

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Botswana is an option as somebody mentioned.  I will speak to the embassy positions only here.  For the embassy positions you'll still have a day job.  Attache as several mentioned, but not always.  One of the others is in the office of security cooperation, under DSCA, where you'll work Foreign Military Sales, International Military Education and Training, etc.

You will likely fly with Army or Navy guys in addition to AF.  You won't get as many hours as a major mobility MWS. 

To answer a few questions above, and some things I think are important, it's not the type of situation you'd want to bring an EFM family, and joint spouse assignments most likely won't work. Embassies are different, but many have very few military members.  Some wives complain enough at regular bases, so if yours is prone to that, avoid.  It's a downer to have a small community and a couple wives who complain about being homesick or stressed all the time.  On the other hand if you're adventurous and outgoing and like to party there's a good network.  But if you do a little research and ask yourself if it makes sense, it will probably be just fine.  If you have kids check out the school situation, many mil people happily have kids in these situations.  Obvi many of the embassy people have kids and they do fine.  There are international schools, but these vary in quality by location and age. There's some perks like FEML plane tickets, US and Host Nation holidays off (if you aren't flying), housing and bills provided but you won't get the BAH.  Usually no Tax free.   In many places you can have a full time or live-in house keeper and gardner for a great value, which is awesome.  You may have a rater from another service for instance.  You may have a very small pool of aircrew to share the plane, so good luck, hope you get along.

The assignment can be a great experience, but depending on your job and location it may not be as good for rank progression as other more traditional options.  But that varies by your time away from big blue, and varies by which promotion board you're looking at.  For those that understand and welcome that fact going in the assignment can be an incredibly enjoyable time, a great break from big blue, a look into Dept of State/Embassy life, and immersion in a foreign culture.  It can also motivate you to return to a regular AF assignment.

It may be an option as a second assignment, but I think 3rd is more common for the embassy gigs.  Tour length also varies, but I've seen 1 year unaccompanied or 2 year accompanied.  You may be able to extend either of those for a year.  You can't take your spouse everywhere, but when you do take your spouse they may have the option to work.  The DOS has a system similar to GS (but different incase your spouse is looking to combine time) where family members have some options to work at the embassy.  This can range from part or full time Community Liaison Officer work, to other full time jobs around the embassy. 

Hope that's helpful.  I definitely recommend it to those that think it's a fit.  Good luck!

• Downvote 1

Yes Botswana is an option as somebody mentioned.  I will speak to the embassy positions only here.  For the embassy positions you'll still have a day job.  Attache as several mentioned, but not always.  One of the others is in the office of security cooperation, under DSCA, where you'll work Foreign Military Sales, International Military Education and Training, etc.
You will likely fly with Army or Navy guys in addition to AF.  You won't get as many hours as a major mobility MWS. 
To answer a few questions above, and some things I think are important, it's not the type of situation you'd want to bring an EFM family, and joint spouse assignments most likely won't work. Embassies are different, but many have very few military members.  Some wives complain enough at regular bases, so if yours is prone to that, avoid.  It's a downer to have a small community and a couple wives who complain about being homesick or stressed all the time.  On the other hand if you're adventurous and outgoing and like to party there's a good network.  But if you do a little research and ask yourself if it makes sense, it will probably be just fine.  If you have kids check out the school situation, many mil people happily have kids in these situations.  Obvi many of the embassy people have kids and they do fine.  There are international schools, but these vary in quality by location and age. There's some perks like FEML plane tickets, US and Host Nation holidays off (if you aren't flying), housing and bills provided but you won't get the BAH.  Usually no Tax free.   In many places you can have a full time or live-in house keeper and gardner for a great value, which is awesome.  You may have a rater from another service for instance.  You may have a very small pool of aircrew to share the plane, so good luck, hope you get along.
The assignment can be a great experience, but depending on your job and location it may not be as good for rank progression as other more traditional options.  But that varies by your time away from big blue, and varies by which promotion board you're looking at.  For those that understand and welcome that fact going in the assignment can be an incredibly enjoyable time, a great break from big blue, a look into Dept of State/Embassy life, and immersion in a foreign culture.  It can also motivate you to return to a regular AF assignment.
It may be an option as a second assignment, but I think 3rd is more common for the embassy gigs.  Tour length also varies, but I've seen 1 year unaccompanied or 2 year accompanied.  You may be able to extend either of those for a year.  You can't take your spouse everywhere, but when you do take your spouse they may have the option to work.  The DOS has a system similar to GS (but different incase your spouse is looking to combine time) where family members have some options to work at the embassy.  This can range from part or full time Community Liaison Officer work, to other full time jobs around the embassy. 
Hope that's helpful.  I definitely recommend it to those that think it's a fit.  Good luck!

I did a 2 year non flying embassy gig and it was awesome. Actually, I kept flying at my home unit, but travel was on me. I will second everything said above. Embassy life was pretty sweet. I had a staff of foreign nationals and driver. I was treated like a king when I visited the host nation Mil bases. I actually met my wife there. She was State Department. We hung out with the same group of folks, started dating, and we got married about a year after getting back.

I would highly recommend it if the opportunity presents itself, especially if it's a flying gig.

Herkbum

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

• 2 years later...

Elmo C-12s are a small enough program that you probably still need to know someone and do some networking though, despite the assignments being posted online now. PM me if you need help getting in touch with the right folks. Great gig and one of the better kept secrets out there.