Gen Welsh - USAF Chief of Staff

busdriver

I'd prefer if he spent his time unfucking VSP, TERA, RIF, and the nuclear enterprise.

Fucking stop it. This guy can't win. For years dudes have bitched about all of the little paper cut stuff in the AF...including this sign, t-shirts, patches, masters, PME. Well guess what? We have a CSAF who is actually fixing a lot of those irritants. And every time he fixes one, someone like you bitches "well, he shoulda done X, Y, or Z instead." Do you think he cancelled an afternoon of meetings about force shaping to hammer in the sign himself? Or do you think he may simply have mentioned it to someone and it got fixed? Everything isn't an either-or!

For fucks sake. The man is trying. Some things are easy fixes. Some are complicated beyond measure. If you can't get behind him, sts, who will you follow?

• Upvote 33

Fucking stop it. This guy can't win. For years dudes have bitched about all of the little paper cut stuff in the AF...including this sign, t-shirts, patches, masters, PME. Well guess what? We have a CSAF who is actually fixing a lot of those irritants. And every time he fixes one, someone like you bitches "well, he shoulda done X, Y, or Z instead." Do you think he cancelled an afternoon of meetings about force shaping to hammer in the sign himself? Or do you think he may simply have mentioned it to someone and it got fixed? Everything isn't an either-or!

For fucks sake. The man is trying. Some things are easy fixes. Some are complicated beyond measure. If you can't get behind him, sts, who will you follow?

Somewhat fair, but how about a blurb? A word from CSAF in a public forum that he is working on these? Maybe fire a few people. Maybe publicly direct AFPC to stop breaking fucking deadlines.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we've eliminated blues Monday, we have morale patches and t-shirts back, and that he's making some attempts to make the USAF fun again. However, there are some big rocks out there, and while I get they'll take some time to move, some candor from the top about what he's tried, what the obstacles are, and what we can do to help would be nice.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Fucking stop it.

Harumph. I would nominate you for the next CSAF if I knew you wouldn't scoff and take a giant dump on my letter of recommendation.

Maybe fire a few people.

Haven't been keeping up with the news lately, have you? "We" are firing plenty of people, but not all those were the people that needed to be fired.

A lot of people have been fired lately, but rarely for poor performance. The missile types were only fired after all the bad publicity and it was coincidence that stuff even came to light. I've never seen a commander or anyone of importance fired for sucking at their job; sometimes they just don't get promoted.

• Upvote 1

A lot of people have been fired lately, but rarely for poor performance. The missile types were only fired after all the bad publicity and it was coincidence that stuff even came to light. I've never seen a commander or anyone of importance fired for sucking at their job; sometimes they just don't get promoted.

Actually, the shittiest people I've encountered that occupied the commander's office have all been promoted. Every single one.

• Upvote 3

Somewhat fair, but how about a blurb? A word from CSAF in a public forum that he is working on these?

Talk is cheap. You can say only so many times, "We are working on it." Small steps that are in his power demonstrate clearly he is listening. It also begs for more time and patience on the big issues that require coordination. No one thinks the AF can be fixed over night, but string enough guys like Welsh together and the next decade could be sweet.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

I'd prefer if he spent his time un######ing VSP, TERA, RIF, and the nuclear enterprise.

I was willing to be cool with the little stuff at first, but yeah, there are so many big ticket items he could fix with policy immediately, yet he doesn't. I'll take the little stuff, but overall he's dropping the ball when he leaves those big ticket items untouched. There's a difference between him saying, "we need to do things smarter in regards to AADs", and actually changing the regs/policy, and not allowing wg/cc, etc to make the policy more restrictive. Sorry, random Sunday morning ramble. Pick any other number of examples...

• Upvote 3

I was willing to be cool with the little stuff at first, but yeah, there are so many big ticket items he could fix with policy immediately, yet he doesn't. I'll take the little stuff, but overall he's dropping the ball when he leaves those big ticket items untouched. There's a difference between him saying, "we need to do things smarter in regards to AADs", and actually changing the regs/policy, and not allowing wg/cc, etc to make the policy more restrictive. Sorry, random Sunday morning ramble. Pick any other number of examples...

Bingo.

He says things like "stop doing stupid stuff because it's written down". Well, sir, with all due respect, who signs the regulations where these stupid things are written down? You want us to stop worrying about AADs until the Col boards...who has it in their power to take that particular piece of information away from the promotion boards? You want every officer to go to SOS in residence, with correspondence being reserved only for folks who have such punishing ops tempos that they can't get there from here...who has the power to restrict SOS to residence only?

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

So we have a CSAF who ride into office on a wave of inspiring speeches and "hope and change". We're probably about halfway through his tenure, and what do we have so far?

1. Morale shirts/patches are back! Rejoice!

2. ......

3. Profit?

On the negative side:

1. The F-35 procurement debacle (yes, I know this is inhireted, but the F-35 remains a sacred cow that the AF seems committed to pay ANY price to get, including proven legacy airframes like the A-10, KC-10 and others, which leads to...

2. The FY14/FY15 force management shennanigans. The only thing that is preventing a complete repeat of 2011 is the fact that they had an OVERWHELMING number of volunteers, thus negating the need for a RIF (so far). But it has been once again rife with missed deadlines, contradicting guidance from AFPC, buffoonery approvals and denials, and a healthy does of bait-and-switch.

3. Demonstrated toxic, failing leadership at multiple wings spanning at least four MAJCOMs. In the digital age this seeks to undermine the entire credibility of the service, yet the CSAF states before congress we have "no ethics problem"

But we have morale shirts, mustache contests, and a BBQ cookoff!

5. He told us we could ignore regulations if we believe they don't make sense and/or they get in the way of mission accomplishment...

// sarcasm

Some interpreted this as a pass to chaff off the regs. Some rolled their eyes and continued on promoting institutionalized missprioritization of queep-before-mission. Some took this as an opportunity to be a thinking Officer and make decisions on what could be knocked-off when faced with limited resources. What camp are you in?

So we have a CSAF who ride into office on a wave of inspiring speeches and "hope and change". We're probably about halfway through his tenure, and what do we have so far?

1. Morale shirts/patches are back! Rejoice!

2. ......

3. Profit?

On the negative side:

1. The F-35 procurement debacle (yes, I know this is inhireted, but the F-35 remains a sacred cow that the AF seems committed to pay ANY price to get, including proven legacy airframes like the A-10, KC-10 and others, which leads to...

2. The FY14/FY15 force management shennanigans. The only thing that is preventing a complete repeat of 2011 is the fact that they had an OVERWHELMING number of volunteers, thus negating the need for a RIF (so far). But it has been once again rife with missed deadlines, contradicting guidance from AFPC, buffoonery approvals and denials, and a healthy does of bait-and-switch.

3. Demonstrated toxic, failing leadership at multiple wings spanning at least four MAJCOMs. In the digital age this seeks to undermine the entire credibility of the service, yet the CSAF states before congress we have "no ethics problem"

But we have morale shirts, mustache contests, and a BBQ cookoff!

1. Proven legacy aircraft? I want what you're smoking. Proven against an enemy with the same counter-air weaponry as the Triple Entente.

2. I love to sh1t on AFPC, especially when they give me the shaft. But to say the only thing preventing this latest debacle from turning into the abortion that the '11 RIF was ONLY due to the sheer number of VSPs is a stretch, and lacking factual substance. I have no idea what goes on behind the AFPC curtain, but I have a hunch that they extended their eight hour duty day and shortened their two hour lunches with the amount of work that's been piled on their desks in the last year. In fact, I'm happy I'm not doing their thankless job and I make no claim that I could do better without some firsthand experience in what's happening right now.

3. Agree with this line except the quote at the end - "no ethic problem". This is how rumors are started. Here's what he actually said:

"Do we have incidents? Absolutely," Welsh, the Air Force chief of staff, said in an interview. "Any organization with almost 700,000 people is going to have incidents. But we do not have an epidemic of bad ethical behavior by people across the Air Force. If you look at the numbers, that's simply not the case."

also,

"There's a big difference between an endemic or systemic problem and bad behavior by individuals. There's a big difference."

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20140725/NEWS05/307250051/Welsh-gives-Air-Force-top-ethics-marks-Congresswomen-say-comments-troubling-

Should I be diapered for the actions of a few? What would you tell congress? Would you agree with Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand that there's a systemic ethical problem and undermine the vast majority of Airmen that serve with distinction on a daily basis? Or would support your subordinate's hard work and dedication despite the actions of some individuals?

Fvckin'a we have morale shirts, bullet proof mustaches, BBQ cook-offs and the like. The General tries to promote esprit de corps, and you tools use it against him.

I get it, there are issues. To blame them on the best CSAF we've had in the last ten years is retarded.

Edited by sqwatch
  • Upvote 5