UAV (RPA) 2011 Grads

Guest Zerohour

Guest ShadyisGay

He's completely wrong and so are you. And you also sound like an idiot. Most pilots don't want to fly them anymore than a sailor wants to be stuck on land; they still get the job done. And I think the guys actually doing the mission realize it's a "large part of the future." By the way, what experience do you have to back up your statements? I've got 8 years of active duty flying, the last 2 in a role that works frequently with RPA's downrange. I know exactly how operators and users feel, and exactly what they are and are not capable of. And I'm telling you that both you and superbus sounds like ignorant little kids.

No need to get your panties in a wad. You could have just answered "Ego" instead of proving it with your unprofessionalism.

• Downvote 5

No need to get your panties in a wad. You could have just answered "Ego" instead of proving it with your unprofessionalism.

Conversely, you could stop screaming, "I know nothing about the UAV community, 'professionalism', or pilots," and listen to someone who has some experience in the matter, but you haven't.

Guest ShadyisGay

I see you can't handle feedback or correction. Good luck with your future career choices, but the rated community isn't for you.

Dude, you're a huge tool.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

Ladies, ladies, chill... This is a forum where varied opinions are welcome and hopefully our combined knowledge can lead to a better understanding of whatever subject we are discussing. No need to start attacking anyone personally. Some people like RPA's, others dont like them but acknowledge there usefulness, and others flat out think they should all be scrapped. Post your opinion, discuss it, list your reasoning and sources, then drop it.

• Downvote 1

This is a forum where varied opinions are welcome and hopefully our combined knowledge can lead to a better understanding of whatever subject we are discussing.

In light of that, people like shadyisgay, who have no frame of reference or personal experience, should stop speculating what the perceived problem is. While they may have an opinion, they also have no foundation of knowledge with which to base it on, so it is just a waste of time/bytes and makes them sound like idiots. All the while this nonsense rambling on their part impairs the intent of the forum because people who don't know any better reading this forum for help and direction in their career read it and think that the blowhard knows what they're talking about. The reader is thus dumber for having read it, but doesn't know the information is crap. And now everyone's time has been wasted even more.

• Upvote 1

Guest ShadyisGay

In light of that, people like shadyisgay, who have no frame of reference or personal experience, should stop speculating what the perceived problem is. While they may have an opinion, they also have no foundation of knowledge with which to base it on, so it is just a waste of time/bytes and makes them sound like idiots. All the while this nonsense rambling on their part impairs the intent of the forum because people who don't know any better reading this forum for help and direction in their career read it and think that the blowhard knows what they're talking about. The reader is thus dumber for having read it, but doesn't know the information is crap. And now everyone's time has been wasted even more.

Are you an RPA pilot? Just curious.

He is not 100% wrong, there are a host of reasons some folks don't like what we do, some have personal issues, some have professional issues, and some like it just fine. You can have not one second of time in the USAF and be able to figure out that there is a general "issue" out there, he was simply asking what it was.

Career potential...well maybe he spoke outta turn. Good thing that never happens on here.

I'm all for a good name-calling thread, but let's have a few posts about the actual topic. I don't want to have to flex my edit abilities and turn anyones posts into homo-erotic ones. I am that mature.

Guest ShadyisGay

Are you? You've failed to qualify any of your opinions with credentials.

No, I'm not, and neither are you.

Boxhead: exactly. I'm a rated guy with plenty of experience and this ability to form "opinions" based on "information"...crazy, huh?

• Downvote 1

No, I'm not, and neither are you.

Boxhead: exactly. I'm a rated guy with plenty of experience and this ability to form "opinions" based on "information"...crazy, huh?

Again you've failed to say what exactly your experiences are, do you actually have any with UAVs? I do, I work with them all the time. I deal directly with them and their customers in a different role. I've never seen any digs by pilots in my community or any other against the guys flying UAVs. Everyone knows the AF randomly selected dudes for a job no one wanted and it could just as easily have been me sitting in that box dealing with lost link at TOT instead of them. There are alot of things they can't do or things they don't do well (UAVs), guys get pretty livid about that part because it impacts support to the user. But you're on here essentially saying pilots have an ego problem and based on their own personal stigma won't let UAVs or UAV pilots realize their full potential. I'm telling you that opinion is way off base (and I noticed you ignored the UAV guys who also corrected you). Additionally, you're not qualifiying your opinions with experience. I think you're totally full of shit. Feel free to prove me wrong with a valid point. Or you could keeping calling me a tool; everyone knows you must be awesome and articulate for throwing down that kind of heavy weight on an internet forum!

• Downvote 1

Guest ShadyisGay

Yeah, I'm not cool enough to be a pilot. Sucks. I've worked w/ UAVs before too, big guy. No problems. I've also had F-16 guys shoot down their own f---ing strike package @ RED FLAG. Do I generalize and think all Viper pilots suck? No, I have a brain.

You can win this debate, I have other things to devote my time to, as I'm sure you do as well.

No, I have a brain.

Scoobs....Scoobs...is that you Scoobs (I can wile away the hours, smelling all the flowers, if I only had a brain). Where you been?

SiG that is an inside joke for Toro, Hacker, M2, Rainman, Cleared Hot, etc. Back to your "I've seen Red Flag...I've known a guy who knew a girl who knew a dude who's brother's cousin's best friend's history teacher's nephew read about UAVs...or "how to make UAV friends and piss off everyone else thread...."

OL Patch

Edited for failing to remember one each gunship brother in the inside joke.....

Edited by OL Patch

Guest Zerohour

Anyone get dates yet? Still standing by on mine.

none of the NCO's at my det have even brought up the subject, im sure around late feb/march we may hear something.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ShadyisGay

It was probably the alcohol, but a guy I know that was picked up for RPA said he was told we're going to Sheppard to fly T-6s then Randolph. I call shenanigans, but he's positive. Does this check w/ anyone??

It was probably the alcohol, but a guy I know that was picked up for RPA said he was told we're going to Sheppard to fly T-6s then Randolph. I call shenanigans, but he's positive. Does this check w/ anyone??

Quick google search...try it sometime. I'm also positive this has been discussed elsewhere on these boards.

Training includes initial flight training at Pueblo, Colo., RPA instrument qualification, and a fundamentals course at Randolph Air Force Base, Texas, followed by training at one of the Air Force's RPA formal training units.

From this article. BL = IFS @ Pueblo -> RND -> FTU

Edited by nsplayr

Guest ShadyisGay

Yes, I know the pipeline, which is why his statement was surprising and why I asked the question b/c I hadn't heard any changes to the training process.

• Downvote 1

• 1 month later...

Well I finally got done with my flight physical. Had to go back 3 times because they kept "forgetting" to do parts of the physical, apparently because it is a little bit different than regular flight physicals. I just cant understand why they dont just have a little checklist that says what tests need to be done. Anyways thats over with, passed the eye tests despite my depth perception. I can answer any questions about that if anyone has any, my depth sucks really bad because of my astigmatism. So has anyone heard any updates on when or where training will be? I had a few friends go through who commissioned last year and tons of them got washed out at IFS because apparently the RPA version is way longer/harder? Is there a master list of all the bases that will host RPAs? Last I heard it was Creech, Holloman, and possibly Whiteman. Just curious if anyone has any new info.