Flight Physical right before starting UPT?

Hawker

It's been a while but I remember it being a fairly normal FCII. Eye check, hearing check, etc. The only exciting part was the footprints.

I think the idea here is to reset your flight physical clock since it will be good until you finish FTU and arrive at your first MWS base.

Ideally since folks have made it through the FCI and MFS there won't be any surprises. It happens but not often.

Edited by GearMonkey

• 1 year later...

Is it FCI or FCII?

I don't think my right eye will meet the 20/70 un-corrected distance vision requirement when I do this in UPT this coming October. I didn't need a waiver for it for my initial FC1 at the Academy. I guess I'm curious what'll happen if I get there and can't pass the acuity test. Got contacts in January, plan on wearing them for pilot training if that means anything

No; my right eye has been a little worse than 20/70 uncorrected for a while now. I guess I managed to squeak by (aka, a flight doc who was patient) during my FC1 here at the Academy, because I didn't need an acuity waiver for my FC1 to be approved.

My eyes have been stable (refractive error, acuity, etc) for the past two years now, so I got contacts a month ago.

Edited by Bucket

• 9 years later...

I am about to EAD and move to my UPT base and this maybe an obscure question, but this seemed like the proper thread to post in. 

In the "Aerospace Medicine Wavier Guide" (referencing the section about ocular hypertension) there is a difference in standards for "initial aircrew" and "trained aircrew".  I don't anticipate that I have fallen out of regulations since my initial FCI, but it has me wondering what section I would fall under.  Is this still considered initial?  I am obviously not a trained aircrew member with me just about to head to UPT, but would this still qualify me under "initial aircrew"?

For reference, when I went I had 22mmHg with Corneal thickness greater than 540 microns.  The standard for "initial aircrew" is less than 26mmHg while the standard for "trained aircrew" is less than 30mmHg.

Sorry if that is an odd question or doesn't make sense.

I am about to EAD and move to my UPT base and this maybe an obscure question, but this seemed like the proper thread to post in. 
In the "Aerospace Medicine Wavier Guide" (referencing the section about ocular hypertension) there is a difference in standards for "initial aircrew" and "trained aircrew".  I don't anticipate that I have fallen out of regulations since my initial FCI, but it has me wondering what section I would fall under.  Is this still considered initial?  I am obviously not a trained aircrew member with me just about to head to UPT, but would this still qualify me under "initial aircrew"?
For reference, when I went I had 22mmHg with Corneal thickness greater than 540 microns.  The standard for "initial aircrew" is less than 26mmHg while the standard for "trained aircrew" is less than 30mmHg.
Sorry if that is an odd question or doesn't make sense.

You’re still initial aircrew, but I don’t believe corneal thickness is measured on annual flight physicals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, CaptainMorgan said:

You’re still initial aircrew, but I don’t believe corneal thickness is measured on annual flight physicals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with both of his statements.  Until you are winged, you are untrained.  However, I've seen cases where people who had hours in UPT were treated like trained aircrew simple because money had already been invested in them.  It's certainly a gray area.

You won't get corneal pachymetry annually as the good Capt pointed out, but you will get the air puff.  If that reads 22 or above, it will be back to optometry more than likely.  But again, if it's been decided your eye pressure is normal for your eye (i.e. given your corneal thickness and lack of evidence of glaucoma) I wouldn't envision it being any issue.