Bagram DFAC sets the fail bar

Toro

You have to wonder what the guy who made the flyer was thinking. "Hey, this is an Air Force celebration...they fly jets...this is a jet...I guess it'll do."

Original email below, including flyer.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, September 20, 2010 8:44 AM

To: OCJCS/LA

Cc: JCS DOM VCJCS SJS; Lt Col SAF/IAPD'

Subject: Fluor's Bagram-DFAC Menu for the Air Force Birthday

From friends down range...

So we're out here at Bagram, and the DFAC contractor put out a menu flyer advertising the USAF's birthday dinner. Take a close look at the fighter in the background of the flyer...

Steamship round for 2000 people: $1947

Assorted Pies for AF Birthday party: $1069

Putting a Communist Chinese F-10 fighter on the USAF birthday announcement: Priceless

post-1691-036550100 1285043280_thumb.jpg

Guest Sandlapper

Who's surprised by this? Years ago, my SOS classmate from the med group (male nurse...do the math) couldn't name *ONE* airplane in the USAF inventory.

Gotta give them an "F" for effort, but I have to Q-3 you as well for calling it a DFAC. Chow hall still works fine and offends the shoes almost as much as not wearing my reflective belt.

I'll concur on the F for effort (I'm withholding the F- because they actually managed to find a plane instead of putting some picture of people failing a PT test...), but EPIC fail overall.

I'd Q-2 the poster since he can simply edit his post and correct the problem, but perhaps I'm just too lenient.

As for calling it a DFAC, I've been in 7+ years and I finally bothered to look up what a DFAC was: Dining Facility (I usually just call it the "chow hall", "choke & puke", etc). Leave it to someone in the Air Force to come up with a 4 letter acronym for a two word object. However, I've now seen the light and will compromise: I will now simply say I am "using the facilities" instead.

I'm less disturbed by the F-10 than I am by the "beef gravy ice cream bar" they are serving for desert.

It was vital to let everyone know there was going to be beef gravy and they ran out of room at the end so it made perfect sense to align it with the ice cream bar. Why do I get the sense this poster was outsourced to another country where English is not the primary language. China maybe?

I'd also like to comment on the creator's horrible powerpoint skills. They couldn't move the text box up into the giant space on top of the sheet thereby uncovering the Air Force Seal? And I'm not even going to mention shrinking the font to add another line to said text box thus avoiding the Gravy Ice Cream bullshit in the last line. Jesus...

Edited by Spoo

I'd also like to comment on the creator's horrible powerpoint skills. They couldn't move the text box up into the giant space on top of the sheet thereby uncovering the Air Force Seal? And I'm not even going to mention shrinking the font to add another line to said text box thus avoiding the Gravy Ice Cream bullshit in the last line. Jesus...

Obviously the services guy who made this flyer hasn't had to brief any generals lately...Maybe BQZip can give him some pointers

Guest Hueypilot812

Who's surprised by this? Years ago, my SOS classmate from the med group (male nurse...do the math) couldn't name *ONE* airplane in the USAF inventory.

I gave my job brief, where I explained I was a C-130 pilot. Afterwards, when the members of your flight are allowed to critique you, one of the shoes in the flight stated "you were a bit too technical because you kept talking about the C-130, but many people here might not know what a C-130 is".

Damn. I spent 8 years in the Army National Guard. I was a construction engineer and helicopter pilot. But I knew what an M1 tank was. I knew what the M2 and M3 BFVs were. I knew what an M109 was, and an M113 for that matter. I was in the damn Army...infantry, armor and artillery is the heart and soul of that branch and if I have no idea what those things are, I shouldn't be wearing an Army uniform.

Ditto for the USAF. Anyone who doesn't have a clue what the major aircraft types are need to choke themselves. I'll give someone a pass if they don't know what an RC-135 is or an E-9 (the little Dash 8s that operated out of Tyndall)...but damn people, you should know what an F-15, C-130 and a B-52 looks like...and what they do.

You post THIS after having me... Mr PowerPoint-Unable... build the airshow brief for this week?? You, sir, are despicable.

Ditto for the USAF. Anyone who doesn't have a clue what the major aircraft types are need to choke themselves. I'll give someone a pass if they don't know what an RC-135 is or an E-9 (the little Dash 8s that operated out of Tyndall)...but damn people, you should know what an F-15, C-130 and a B-52 looks like...and what they do.

2!!! It continually amazes me how much we, as the branch of the armed forces that deals primarily with air combat, continue to downplay the air part, and just focus on the combat...if we even really do that.

I definitely agree that it's absurd how little people know about our aircraft inventory. However, I have to blame this on training. I know about our aircraft because I grew up around planes. Other folks didn't have that opportunity. How much do you guys know about AFSPC? I never learned a single thing about Air Force space assets in ROTC. I had no idea what kinds of satellites we had, or even that the entire GPS constellation was owned and operated by the Air Force.

If your job is to learn travel vouchers, you probably aren't going to know a lot about C-17s. A little more focus on systems in our training programs could go a long way.

Or maybe I'm wrong, and people really just don't give a shit.

Guest Hueypilot812

If your job is to learn travel vouchers, you probably aren't going to know a lot about C-17s. A little more focus on systems in our training programs could go a long way.

It doesn't take much to figure out that a C-17 is an airlifter. It probably wouldn't be too hard to learn that we have three primary airlift aircraft, and two primary tankers, etc. Those concepts aren't very hard to grasp. I'm not asking that we teach shoes about the technical aspects of these aircraft, they should just know the basic types of aircraft and the missions they fly. After all, it's why they fill out vouchers or update personnel records in the first place.

Same concept we followed in the Army...as an Army aviator, I knew the basics about the other Army branches, because in the big picture, that's who we supported. Following Army flight school I had to attend the Aviator Warrant Officer Basic Course, and they had classes about artillery, infantry, armor, etc. The idea was to get us to understand the Army's core missions. Even in basic training, we were taught about the Army's core missions and the systems that were used (ie, M1, M2, M109, etc).

The Air Force does the opposite. Today it goes out of its way to minimize the flying mission and pat all the support shoes on the back and make them feel like their corner of the world is what the Air Force hinges on. It's not only affecting the flying side...I bet there are a ton of airmen out there that don't even know what a Minuteman III is. Most don't even know the USAF manages a bunch of satellites, etc.

I think we are failing in educating our airmen about our core missions. Today's airmen are probably more likely to think the Air Force's role in the war is to provide troops to pull convoy duty than to actually fly CAS sorties or airlift sorties. Just look at the thread about the F-15 crew chief and read what the maintainers think...that we, as aircrew, don't do anything of importance and only burn fuel...and the sad part is they are even closer to the flying world than the FSS troop or the COMM troop. Just imagine what they think...

It doesn't really bother me that folks don't know what a C-17 is.

We get to "fly, fight, and win" :airman: - and we get paid to do it! I'm sure folks in finance roll their eyes when I ask what a Form 123ABC is.

M2,

Great find of a vid - I didn't know the Global Hawk was air-refuelable.

(Hopefully some GH dude doesn't take offense to my ignorance!)

I gave my job brief, where I explained I was a C-130 pilot. Afterwards, when the members of your flight are allowed to critique you, one of the shoes in the flight stated "you were a bit too technical because you kept talking about the C-130, but many people here might not know what a C-130 is".

Damn. I spent 8 years in the Army National Guard. I was a construction engineer and helicopter pilot. But I knew what an M1 tank was. I knew what the M2 and M3 BFVs were. I knew what an M109 was, and an M113 for that matter. I was in the damn Army...infantry, armor and artillery is the heart and soul of that branch and if I have no idea what those things are, I shouldn't be wearing an Army uniform.

I agree; we get taught (or at least I did) in basic training what each aircraft is and does. I know that a "brain dump" occurs after training, but for some people to not know the name/mission of some of our most important aircraft is unacceptable. I must be ahead of the power curve, since I actually know what an RC-135 does...

Toro; Thanks, that poster = Awesome. It went on my Face Book wall for all to see.

Now, can we PLEASE change the title of the thread to read "Bagram CHOW HALL sets the fail bar"? Every time I open Baseops.net, I do not expect to see anything even remotely politically correct. My level of disappointment can not be emphasized enough. Thanks.

Toro; Thanks, that poster = Awesome. It went on my Face Book wall for all to see.

Now, can we PLEASE change the title of the thread to read "Bagram CHOW HALL sets the fail bar"? Every time I open Baseops.net, I do not expect to see anything even remotely politically correct. My level of disappointment can not be emphasized enough. Thanks.