AMS (Academy of Military Science) Questions

Guest lazy26

Anyone else heading out there for 15-02? I'll be there Saturday afternoon... a good meal and beer is needed for dinner!

I'll be in 15-02, but won't be getting there until Sunday around lunch. My base training office said class was starting on a Tuesday for some reason this time, so my orders don't start until Sunday. Anybody hear anything different than that regarding the class start date?

I'll be in 15-02, but won't be getting there until Sunday around lunch. My base training office said class was starting on a Tuesday for some reason this time, so my orders don't start until Sunday. Anybody hear anything different than that regarding the class start date?

Class will start on a Tuesday, Monday will be like a day zero(admin stuff and drug test). If you arrive later on Sunday it kind of puts you behind in getting your room set up. You will arrive there and people will already be done with their rooms ready to go. I suggest you show your training office the section on the AMS site that says for you to show up on Saturday.

Class will start on a Tuesday, Monday will be like a day zero(admin stuff and drug test). If you arrive later on Sunday it kind of puts you behind in getting your room set up. You will arrive there and people will already be done with their rooms ready to go. I suggest you show your training office the section on the AMS site that says for you to show up on Saturday.

Yeah, I've been showing them the Saturday stuff since I was excepted, but they seemed a bit uninformed. The guy told last week that he called to check on that specific piece of info, and said that class would be starting one day later than usual (unsure why that is). So......, I just called the number on the AMS site to confirm for myself. A lady named Tammy answered and said the earliest I could get my room would be Sunday and getting in on Saturday would not help. She said the dorms would be available first thing (don't know the exact time) Sunday morning. Just a heads-up.

Accepted*

Yeah, I've been showing them the Saturday stuff since I was excepted, but they seemed a bit uninformed. The guy told last week that he called to check on that specific piece of info, and said that class would be starting one day later than usual (unsure why that is). So......, I just called the number on the AMS site to confirm for myself. A lady named Tammy answered and said the earliest I could get my room would be Sunday and getting in on Saturday would not help. She said the dorms would be available first thing (don't know the exact time) Sunday morning. Just a heads-up.

Accepted*

Yeah that's Ms. Tammy, I am giving you my experience from class 15-01. Any other questions feel free to PM.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I just remember at BMT (15 years ago) we all had to wear the same type underwear, and the current AMS male uniform checklist lists white cotton underwear. Not a fan.

Yeah, don't wear that crap. And don't torture yourself with those crappy towels either. Get a nice plush white towel that'll feel good and not take layers of skin off. Use the crap towels to dry the shower floor

I don't mean to take the talk away from bath towels and underwear. I know it's very important, but has anyone waiting for appointment letters heard anything from NGB about their progress? I heard rumors that they're waiting until 2-3 weeks prior to class start date to send appointment letters and dates all together. Not sure of the validity... Everyone I've been talking to seems to be waiting on the same thing.

Here's another question that doesn't involve those awesome whitey-tighties we got back in BMT.

I will be in 15-03 and see that some of you bros are debating when to arrive as CSD is on a Tuesday because of MLK Day. The AMS website says to not arrive earlier than two days before CSD, so I'm planning on getting in early Sunday. I realize that people want to get there early to set stuff up etc. etc. but thinking back to my BMT experience and the countless hours I spent getting my stuff ready for the first inspection just to find my stuff "neatly" arranged in the latrine by the MTIs.

Thoughts? Me thinks that getting there on the usual Saturday would be a bit much. My bros who have gone before said two days before CSD is just fine.

They won't post new FY dates until this summer. I think FY15 dates were posted about a month or two prior to start date.

whiskeydriver, I just got my approvals/nominations from NGB with training dates. 1503 for AMS and starting UPT on 9 June 15. My package was sent off in late July. You should be hearing something very soon. Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congrats to the 101 Second Lieutenants that were commissioned today at AMS from Class 15-02.

I watched from the grandstands.

Starting with 15-03, they stated will begin to integrate Guard and Active Duty into the same class in a kind of beta test.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, non prior reservist scheduled for AMS 15-04. It will be interesting to see how this OTS integration thing pans out with the current class in session…

One question that comes to mind: On the bottom of the uniform checklist it recommends a third pair of ABUs. Is it safe to say as a future flyer that this won't really be necessary for me? As with the recommended extra pair of boots, I assume they are nonessential.

Also, I'm planning to drive to Maxwell from Southern California if anyone is along the route and interested in road tripping (free storage in vehicle included throughout class). Cheers :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

I am attending AMS Class 15-04. The first set of orders had our class start date for 31 March. Just last week I received notification that the new class start date is going to be 24 March. Has anyone heard about this? Is AMS. Now going to 9 weeks?

Thanks gang. Any info would help!

So I have compiled a little bit more information on BOT/AMS. We have heard rumors for years now that they are intending to merge BOT and AMS. With BOT going from 12 to 9 weeks and AMS from 6 to 8 weeks they are just about there. The current in-session AMS class 15-03 is the first to include a mixture of AD, Guard & Reserve OT/OCs. So it will be interesting to see what changes they are making to the syllabus.

I am scheduled for AMS 15-04 and have heard others say that their orders show BOT 15-08B. I called and spoke with staff at both the AMS and BOT phone numbers on the Holm site. They confirmed that AMS 15-04 and BOT 15-08B are in fact the same class. Regarding the OTS manual, I was told to read both the 36-2604 and 36-2604 AMS Supplement.

Hey guys, non prior reservist scheduled for AMS 15-04. It will be interesting to see how this OTS integration thing pans out with the current class in session…

One question that comes to mind: On the bottom of the uniform checklist it recommends a third pair of ABUs. Is it safe to say as a future flyer that this won't really be necessary for me? As with the recommended extra pair of boots, I assume they are nonessential.

Also, I'm planning to drive to Maxwell from Southern California if anyone is along the route and interested in road tripping (free storage in vehicle included throughout class). Cheers :beer:

I'll be headed over from Southern California as well, and alas, I have no car. They're still trying to cut me orders for this upcoming class but I haven't received a letter yet. I'm in Carlsbad, where you headed from?

So I have compiled a little bit more information on BOT/AMS. We have heard rumors for years now that they are intending to merge BOT and AMS. With BOT going from 12 to 9 weeks and AMS from 6 to 8 weeks they are just about there. The current in-session AMS class 15-03 is the first to include a mixture of AD, Guard & Reserve OT/OCs. So it will be interesting to see what changes they are making to the syllabus.

I am scheduled for AMS 15-04 and have heard others say that their orders show BOT 15-08B. I called and spoke with staff at both the AMS and BOT phone numbers on the Holm site. They confirmed that AMS 15-04 and BOT 15-08B are in fact the same class. Regarding the OTS manual, I was told to read both the 36-2604 and 36-2604 AMS Supplement.

if my boot camp experence taught me anything it's that the less inspectable items you have the better, you can always grab another set of ABUs once you're done. that being said, maybe the rotation of dirty to clean would benifit from a third pair. i honestly even remember how many uniforms sets is was originally issued. if you guys can already buy uniform items, start burning strings off...