AMS (Academy of Military Science) Questions

Guest lazy26

AMS is an ironic joke in itself. You learn leadership via powerpoint, yet rarely exercise it. It's a subordinate environment pretty much the entire time, and stuff is spoon fed to you. You are hardly ever able to step out of the box and actually lead.

Don't drink the kool-aid. Once the handcuffs are off in Phase 2, actually step up if you're in a leadership position. Your job is to lead those you are responsible for and make changes for the better. It's shitty on purpose, and you have the ability to change it. In week 7, our group staff was more concerned with giving the actual AMS staff reach arounds than doing their job as 'leaders'. Babysitting at it's finest. Literally having group staff walk around the dining hall a week before graduation, harping on stupid shit like tray placement and talking. At times, student leadership was more of a pain than the actual AMS staff. In week 5 or 6, when it started to really heat up... group staff mandated the UOD included the APECs jacket because it MIGHT rain later in the day. They would also enforce policies from back in Phase 1 that weren't applicable in our new phase anymore.... but "werent sure if we are allowed to do that yet... we havent been specifically told its ok yet". That's your future AF leadership....

I should be going to AMS in October and am curious about the types of papers and briefings we'll have to give. Also, I'm a prior enlisted MSgt so I assume I'll be a flight commander day one, which also means I will need to study up on marching people around if I don't want to look like an idiot. Any information on the papers and recommendations on what to prepare for will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

One 1-page paper and one 2-page paper. They are relatively easy. It's all Tongue an Quill mostly. People failed them for formatting mistakes, not necessarily content. First one was about a country, second one was about your stance on a military issue. Marching all you need to know is basic movements. Forward/halt/column left/right. You'll mess up anyways. The TI's aren't going to get a hard on over your marching abilities, either way they will be in your face for something. I wouldn't prepare for much, except skimming thru the OTSMAN incase you're flight leader (read: not commander) on Day 1 and you have to get your flight to the DFAC or know what dining priority you are and what that means. Took me a few days for that weird crap.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it true that if you fail BMI, for the initial PT test, they send you home? I heard (probably a rumor), even if you pass your PT test, they will send you home for being above BMI.

BMI and body fat are 2 diff things. So, to answer your question, no, you can fail BMI. I am 5'6 and near 200 lbs. I will always fail BMI. But, if you are over your max allowable weight, they will tape your neck the same time they tape your stomach and do the whole body fat % estimation thing. I honestly never saw the results of mine... and on the last PT test, my neck did not get taped.

The whole PT test is such a black box. A few classes (~ year ago?) they sent home about 20 people on day 1. Lots of commanders got extremely pissed, made phone calls, etc. When I went in March, no one got sent home on Day 1, but not sure if anyone failed, either. They did institute some 'within 10% of passing' verbiage into the syllabus, but thats vague too. Within 10% of the points (i.e, 67.5 score)? Or within 10% of the number of counted items (i.e, within 10% of 36 pushups)? Who knows... as you will learn, a lot of stuff at AMS seems to be up to someones discretion.

• 3 weeks later...

Just some quick questions as I will be leaving next month to go to AMS.

For Mess Dress - Being a non-prior, do I need to bring any badges or medals? My VMPF indicates I have no ribbons or awards.

What type of shoes do you recommend for Mess Dress that don't require polishing?

What phase/times do you have access to the gym and is it equipped well?

Is it still the norm to make the bottom bunk and sleep on the top to avoid making bed, etc and only showcasing one item and keeping the rest in the laundry bin?

How is the wifi in the dorms? Is it monitored for Skype/Facetime during Phase 1?

Is it the norm to have just one set of boots or do most people bring two?

Thank you very much for the help!

Edited by BTLFlyer

For Mess Dress - Being a non-prior, do I need to bring any badges or medals? My VMPF indicates I have no ribbons or awards.

You wear one medal, the red national defense one

What type of shoes do you recommend for Mess Dress that don't require polishing?

The shiny corframs. Same shoes you should wear during Blues days. Even if you have the old leather ones with a nice polish, you'll get shit. Just get corframs.

What phase/times do you have access to the gym and is it equipped well?

Phase 2... only time was at night cuz you will be scheduled until dinner. even then theres always stupid shit to do. Technically you have to march everywhere in at least a detail, which means someone goes to gym with you... or you just walk there yourself.. people did both, its a gray area, direct example of how stupid the OTSMAN is. Towards the end we tried to go to gym instead of PT track for organized PT. Our Flt/CC said it was cool and just write an MFR, but someone along the chain of command pussed out and never made it happen. Do gay stretches for 20 minutes, or hit the weights? Your call.

Is it still the norm to make the bottom bunk and sleep on the top to avoid making bed, etc and only showcasing one item and keeping the rest in the laundry bin?

You'll figure this one out. People do this from day 1 and the first inspection may not be for a week or 2. The mattresses aren't bolted down to the bedframes either. Even if you make your bed, you probably didn't do it right. Sleep vs a few demerits?

How is the wifi in the dorms? Is it monitored for Skype/Facetime during Phase 1?

When everyone is using it, it's shitty. People were able to facetime in the common areas of the dorms right next to the routers on the weekends. Ur not supposed to have ur phone for phase1. How you decide not to get caught is up to you.

Is it the norm to have just one set of boots or do most people bring two?

Most brought one. I brought 2 being non-prior and naive. I only wore one pair. They got super dirty at AEF at the end, but I just washed them off in shower and let them dry over night. I tried my second paid and they sucked so I never wore them. It's another inspectable item in your closet, but its easy to get right.

NOTE - as someone who never wore boots prior to AMS - my feet got JACKED up. Huge blisters on day 2 of training, raw/bloody skin, and never had time to heal because youre supposed to stay in uniform until bed. I know most boots you dont need to break in, but try to toughen up your heels before you go. You'll be in boots from like 6am til 10pm

• 2 weeks later...

We had to be there for awards ceremony, then had about 90-120 mins before showing up to Dining out. Which ended at 10p and we had to be back in dorms by 1145. No staying off base.

Long story short, my fam came in at noon the day before graduation, and I didn't get to see them until right before dining out for a few minutes, and then after the graduation ceremony.

Real good post. Thank you.

Questions: they've changed it a bit, since graduation is now on a Friday. With that said, I've got a few questions:

Awards Ceremony: about what time is that?

Dining Out: the AMS website doesn't even discuss it in the family section. So do they still have it? If so, I'm assuming Thursday... but what time? How long does it last?

Graduation: Friday... but what time does it start/finish?

Edited by GoGuard

Any recent grads from 15-01 have any feedback, hints, changes for the next class?

Anyone know a good place to pick up a Air Force Green Fleece? I don't see one on the BX and there are a lot of different styles out there.. I want to make sure I get the right one.. THANKS!

Edited by BTLFlyer

There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions on whether AMS has a Dining In or Dining Out.

I spoke to AMS today, and it is a Dining Out... you may bring guests. This is a recent change apparently... I believe she said it only started with the last class.

However... if you plan to have guests there, still have them call AMS to verify this. 334.953.8424 or 8425.

If you look at the old Commander's Graduation letter, it doesn't mention a Dining In/Out, hence some of the confusion.

http://www.au.af.mil/au/holmcenter/OTS/documents/GradWeekLetter13-4.pdf

Can you elaborate??

They don't care what you wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I just remember at BMT (15 years ago) we all had to wear the same type underwear, and the current AMS male uniform checklist lists white cotton underwear. Not a fan.

• Upvote 1

We had the option of staying on base and eating DFAC Thanksgiving dinner, or getting to go off base and stay with a local family for Thanksgiving. 99.9% of the dudes went off base. The majority of people you stay with are current or prior military. I stayed with a dude that was there doing ACSC in residence. A day off the compound drinking beer and whiskey was well worth it.