AMS (Academy of Military Science) Questions

Guest lazy26

Guest GU96932

AKANG...great advice. I agree that you shouldnt let those ANAL or "TOOLS" as we called them make life any more difficult than it has to. Life at AMS is a whirlwind of uncertainty, and its up to you to FIND the answers. EVERYTHING is in the OI's so the sooner you read those and find the answers, the sooner your life gets better. Remember, its only six weeks, and it goes by fast. So get er dun! Oh yea, if you get there on Saturday, have dinner with your SQ mates and get to know one another...you life for the next six weeks will revolve around them, so make it a point to support each other!

Guest srvmcm

Any October guys know when family can book their flights to attend graduation? When is the earliest we can possibly see them during the last week? I know Thursday is the banquet and then the festivities on Friday, but is there any opportunity to see them earlier in the week?

Guest GU96932

Well, if you get phased up during the last week, then you can see them while you are off base during the evening hours. You won't be able to stay off base until the Thursday (banquet night) before commissiong day. I had dinner w/my wife on Wednesday. On Monday night, you may have the dining in function, so probably Tuesday if you can. I know that during Phase II, we were able to have family members come by and visit in the GBDR on Sunday (Not during duty day) and they can go to church w/you if they live close enough to drive.

I would have them start making travel arrangments probably about three weeks out or so. By that time, you should know where you stand in terms of commissioning, and you should control your own destiny. Also, make sure that when they give you the hotel info for family members to stay at, have them start making the reservation for those hotels...it gets pretty busy during that last week.

• 8 months later...

I'm trying to plan how much of a reserve of cash I need to leave the wife with for rent, etc, before I head down to Knoxville. I know they have you bring an envelope to mail back your oders to your unit's finance office so you can get paid, but from what I've heard this doesn't always work out.

Just wondering if -

- anyone has managed to get paid while at AMS

- if so how many times (ie, one lump or every 2 weeks)

- was BAH I included (30+ day TDY?)

- does this qualify for seperation allowance if you have a dependent.

Thanks!

Guest Bulldog2

You can bring an envelope and mail it if you want, but the better way to do(the way everyone does it), is to get your unit's finance office DSN fax number and fax your signed orders to your unit. You will have a meeting with a MSgt before the first day and he will sign your orders for you and there is a DSN fax machine where you fax it immediatley after.

As far as getting paid goes, yes I did get paid, and it was every two weeks. I am not married/no dependents so can't speak on the other stuff.

You can bring an envelope and mail it if you want, but the better way to do(the way everyone does it), is to get your unit's finance office DSN fax number and fax your signed orders to your unit. You will have a meeting with a MSgt before the first day and he will sign your orders for you and there is a DSN fax machine where you fax it immediatley after.

As far as getting paid goes, yes I did get paid, and it was every two weeks. I am not married/no dependents so can't speak on the other stuff.

As far as the "other stuff" goes:

You will get FamSep (250/month), but you'll have to do the paperwork at your unit's Finance office when you graduate.

You get full BAH with dependents while you are there.

You will get paid twice a month.

(You will be allowed to check mypay starting in week 3, and you can always call your unit if there's a pay problem.)

Keep copies of your signed orders just in case - just keep 'em locked in your security drawer!

~Alex

• 3 months later...

If you're going during the winter months I've been advised to bring your Goretex regardless of the asspain. While it's not "freezing" it can be quite cold and rains quite a bit from what I'm told. One of my co-workers went in January and says he froze his ass off during the field exercise because it rained the entire time and his field jacket soaked it all up, leaving him cold and wet...Goretex will keep you dry and warm.

I intend to bring my goretex pants as well.

Edited by doofus

• 4 months later...
will they allow more than one pair of shorts? what do you recommend for sleeping in?

1 pair means 1 pair...they dont care what it is. Bring whatever you usually sleep in- thats what I did. Dont worry too much about it- they will still find things to give you a hard time over.

Guest electric130

cool. and what about underwear. the website says 6 pairs of WHITE DRAWERS. do they care boxers, boxer/briefs, or briefs? i got the standard issue white briefs like we got in basic training, but i wore them today at work and they drove me crazy. better to find that out now, then when i'm there, right?

Guest UPTFY08

I saw someone posted in this thread earlier about PT white socks may not be ankle socks. Does that mean they need to be the high socks or what? It does not specify on the AMS clothing list, so I guess it might not really matter but if someone knows for sure that would be great. Thanks.

I saw someone posted in this thread earlier about PT white socks may not be ankle socks. Does that mean they need to be the high socks or what? It does not specify on the AMS clothing list, so I guess it might not really matter but if someone knows for sure that would be great. Thanks.

Yeah, you're supposed to look gay. But at least you'll all look gay together. I noticed people had other than white tighty-whities and no one seemed to care. If you go strictly by the list then you can't be faulted. Ask yourself if it is really worth the risk. I just bit the bullet and wore white boxers for 6 weeks- it won't kill you.

PS- I think a lot of these questions have been answered already. Make sure you search before reaching for the quick reply button.

• 1 month later...
Guest electric130

I just graduated last week. some changes recently made: cell phones are now allowed in phase 3. all 3rd Lieutenant phase adds is no more marching in formation.

for uniform items to bring, here's what i recommend. it may seem like a lot on some of the items, but there's a minimum number of items that must be displayed at all times in order to not get gigged on an inspection. the idea is to not have to worry about laundry during the week.

3 BDU/ABU

7 brown/black t-shirts - 2 min display (black is very hot standing in the sun for 4 hours during parade practice)

4 white v-neck t-shirts - 2 min display

7 pairs BDU socks - 2 min display

4-5 pairs PT socks - 2 min display (cannot be ankle socks)

7 pairs underwear - 2 min display

2 short sleeve blues - 1 min display

2 long sleeve blues - 1 min display

3 sets of PT shorts and shirts - min 1 display

• 3 months later...
Guest twinkle toes

Does anyone know what they are authorizing for jackets with the abu's? I know I can have the my units supply contact them, but I didn't know if anyone in here has inside info. Thanks! (going in Jan, and was issued ABU's)

Guest NotAPilot

Get there on Saturday. The club is right there and you'll meet up with some classmates that night. Great burgers there. Take the time to do a site survey and figure out where all the buildings are, chow hall, Spruance Hall, track, parade grounds, gym, etc. It's a really small place. If you are the dude marching your flight around the first week you will thank me for this. I drove cross-country to attend and would recommend it. Having your own little storage unit and wheels is worth it. Make reservations at a local hotel the night you graduate. The Hampton Inn in Alcoa shares the parking lot with Applebees. Decent food and a bar. Getting the F out of there as soon as possible is worth it, even if you cab it. Room inspections will not keep you from graduating. Period. Pay attention to the syllabus and nothing else. First two weeks you will do nothing right. Don't sweat it. The memos and briefings are easy points. Don't screw them up. The dry cleaner is a good place to store uniforms until you need them. Don't take a Lackland laser flashlight. The best advise I ever got was a mini-Maglite. Very easy to stash in a pocket. I took my laptop and would do it again. Don't chance the Comm dudes at McGhee Tyson to provide for you paper writing or anyone else. PFT is a no-joke. Drill and Ceremonies is a graded event. At a minimum read the reg, if you can, practice in advance. The bugs at PC are a bitch. I got tore up by the chiggers. Use repellent. The security violations will screw everyone. Lock the damn drawer every time. As said before, better late than go through that.

My enlightening moment was the first week when I was getting my ass chewed by a d-bag major for my hair being too long. His hair was way longer than mine! He saw my eyes looking at his hair and asked me to spell his last name. Don't remember what it was, but it was odd. When my eyes moved to check out his name tag, well he went off and questioned my integrity. Total BS. Good SA in my opinion. It was a game the whole time. Enjoy.

And be warned, the AMS staff reads all of these forums. Don't be stupid. There is no reason to try to get over on them. It's not rocket science. You will get out of it what you put in. Looking back I learned a couple of key things about myself that serve me well to this day.

If you do drive, Gatlinburg isn't far away if you want to check it out on your way home.

• 4 months later...
Guest pilotapplicant

Steel Toe boots are fine. That's what I wore. I would say almost everyone wore the regular ties but a couple of guys had the clip-on type. I'm pretty sure you cannot earn a "sharp" on your open ranks inspection with the clip-on tie or corfam shoes but they both make your life easier. That being said, I was issued standard ties and shoes so that is what I took and it worked out fine.

If your unit will not issue you the APEX jacket I would see if they will issue the BDU Gore-Tex. If you can't get either I would personally spring for it. I was there in the fall and we wore the jackets quite a few times. Another good option is to try to borrow a BDU Gore-Tex from someone at your base before you leave. We had a couple of folks bring extra jackets that they loaned to other officer candidates who would have been miserable otherwise.

Good Luck,

Pilotapplicant

Read through this awesome thread but didn't see much about graduation/commissioning...I was in AFROTC before getting out and in the guard and have some friends and old cadre that want to come see me commission along with my family. I'm trying to figure out if I need to have a commissioning ceremony back at KU like some of the Dec/Summer ROTC grads do or if I can just save myself the headache and tell anyone who can make to come to Tyson-McGee.

1. Is there a commissioning ceremony?

2. Is there a limit to how many people can come?

3. Is there any gouge out there or info to give to the family about when to show up, where to stay, where to go, etc? (I know there might be some info on the afportal but my damn CAC doesn't work yet so I have yet to get a chance to get on there.)

Thanks and just fyi I hear if you are in the upcoming 16 Mar AMS and don't show up with a Mustache for Mustache March you automatically get sent home.

Guest twinkle toes
Read through this awesome thread but didn't see much about graduation/commissioning...I was in AFROTC before getting out and in the guard and have some friends and old cadre that want to come see me commission along with my family. I'm trying to figure out if I need to have a commissioning ceremony back at KU like some of the Dec/Summer ROTC grads do or if I can just save myself the headache and tell anyone who can make to come to Tyson-McGee.

3. Is there any gouge out there or info to give to the family about when to show up, where to stay, where to go, etc? (I know there might be some info on the afportal but my damn CAC doesn't work yet so I have yet to get a chance to get on there.)

Thanks and just fyi I hear if you are in the upcoming 16 Mar AMS and don't show up with a Mustache for Mustache March you automatically get sent home.

1. Yes, fri

2. not really, just for the awards banquet on the thur before commissioning

3. you will get all the info you need while you are there!

Have a good time, and don't SIE, (you will find out what that is)

-TT

Guest classicsolo

I would like to second this as being an awesome thread and appreciate the guidance on some of my earlier questions.

To build on what flyinjhawk was asking:

1) My unit has my orders extending through the Saturday following commissioning. After reading the thread, I was under the impression that we could leave after graduation. Should I try to get my return flight home for late that Friday afternoon?

Additionally:

1) I saw where contacts were fine but didn't find anything on glasses. Are bringing my own acceptable or do they issue a pair similar to UPT?

2) One of the blogs I read said that you had to have a bio-metric thumb drive...is that really a necessity?

3) Is bringing your own meds like Advil or some type of nasal decongestant permissible...or would that be something that you would have to obtain there?

Many thanks again and look forward to seeing those of you who will be there 16 March!

Guest Bulldog2
I would like to second this as being an awesome thread and appreciate the guidance on some of my earlier questions.

To build on what flyinjhawk was asking:

1) My unit has my orders extending through the Saturday following commissioning. After reading the thread, I was under the impression that we could leave after graduation. Should I try to get my return flight home for late that Friday afternoon?

Additionally:

1) I saw where contacts were fine but didn't find anything on glasses. Are bringing my own acceptable or do they issue a pair similar to UPT?

2) One of the blogs I read said that you had to have a bio-metric thumb drive...is that really a necessity?

3) Is bringing your own meds like Advil or some type of nasal decongestant permissible...or would that be something that you would have to obtain there?

Many thanks again and look forward to seeing those of you who will be there 16 March!

1) Yes I would definitely plan to leave on Friday. You could stay an extra day if you want, but you would have to stay in a hotel Friday night (I think they kick you out of billeting, but I can't remember). Most everyone was so ready to get the hell out of that place that I didn't hear of anyone hanging around too long after graduation.

1) When I went, (bout a year ago) everyone who wore glasses brought their own. They do not issue those BTK looking glasses like at UPT.

2) Don't know anything about a bio-metric thumb drive.

3) Yes you can bring Advil and nasal stuff if you want. Keep in mind though, the less crap you bring, the less you have to organize and make it look neat for room inspections. I would bring absolute bare essentials if I were you.

Play the game and good luck.

So you get a computer in your room at AMS? Can you print from it? Access mail.ang.af.mil/owa? Will you get busted for a security violation if you throw data CDs in the trash when they are used up?

Guest Bulldog2
So you get a computer in your room at AMS? Can you print from it? Access mail.ang.af.mil/owa? Will you get busted for a security violation if you throw data CDs in the trash when they are used up?

Yes you get a desktop computer for you and your roommate to share. Best to bring a laptop so you can do all your work without having to share a computer with your roommate. Yes you can print from it. Each squadron common area has 1 printer. BRING COMPUTER PAPER. Running out of paper was a huge problem when I was there. The BX ran out like week 1 and when people are printing the same memo like 800 times because the margins are not exactly 1.18 inches(yes you have to measure that crap with a ruler and if it's an 8th of an inch off then you get points taken off) then you can have a serious problem. Don't know about email. We were only allowed to use gimail when we were there. You will find out all about security violations when you get there so don't worry about it now. Bottom line with security violations is if you have to ask the question, then you should probably write it on your inventory list and just lock it up. You are allowed to have a bunch of random stuff in there as long as you inventory it ALL.

Disclaimer: some of this info might be a little old. I went to AMS a year ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Do they want people creasing the sleeves on the ABUs?

I just got mine back from the local alteration shop and the high speed sewing machine driver starched and pressed my uniform including ironing the old BDU creases in the sleeves. Should I keep them or iron them out.

Guest pilotapplicant

The uniform reg say that you will neither starch nor iron your ABUs. That being said running an iron across them with no starch will make them wrinkle free but not "look" ironed.

I would wash the starch out of them and iron out the crease if that is what it takes. They should have somewhat of a permanent crease.

On another note. AMS is big about knowing and following the regs. The grooming standard says that mustaches or allowed. You may take a bunch of crap for having one but the instructors will respect you if quote the reg that allows it and hold your ground. I had sideburns right to the limit and I was questioned about it and I stated that I believed my hair cut met the grooming standard and I was left alone. Will growing a mustache highlight you? Yes. Would it be a cool thing to do? Definitely.

Good Luck and have fun,

Pilotapplicant

• 3 weeks later...
Guest OfcrCand

Is there any benefit from driving to AMS and having your car with you the whole time versus flying down there? Thanks

Guest mer1in210
Is there any benefit from driving to AMS and having your car with you the whole time versus flying down there? Thanks

From what I understand from people who did this, is that you can keep your stuff you don't want in your dorm room in the car. You can display the minimum clothing items in the wall locker and keep the others in your car, etc.