AMS (Academy of Military Science) Questions

Guest lazy26

4 questions:

1. The AMS/Maxwell website says that we will be issued a government laptop but can bring our own if we wanted. Would anyone who went through recently recommend buying a laptop or will the government issued laptop suffice?

2. The list of uniform items to bring requires 1 "Pants, Service, Wool/Poly" then a little further down the list it requires 2 "Pants, Blue, Polyester or Wool/Poly Blend". Do I need to bring 3 pairs of blue pants or are there 2 different kind of pants that I need to bring?

3. Do I need to bring the "US" lapel pins for my service coat or will they be issued to me. If I do need to bring them with, should I bring the ones with or without the circle around them?

4. Since I will be attending in Nov-Dec I am required to bring a "Watch cap, no logo" and "Gloves, Cold weather". Does the watch cap have to be black or sage green. What about the gloves? Everything was issued to me except these items. If anyone knows where (online, I live nowhere near any bases) to buy the watch cap and gloves that will meet the requirements that would be great.

:beer::beer:

H-10

My advice - buy a laptop, and bring a Verizon Air Card....jus saying. Bring a printer also (small)

You need 2 of the blend pants, and 1 of the poly only, or three of the blend I guess, you need 3 total.

Bring the US insignia, and make sure its the most current one (cant remember which for officers...)

Bring both a black knit cap and one of the green military fleece caps if you can, and bring your black leather cold weather gloves, you don't want to be the guy who doesn't have his stuff, and make the rest of your flight suffer. (standardization...everyone must be uniform!)

As for where to buy it, buy a black watch cap at like walmart (knit), and for gloves, you need to order them or stop into the base BX before you in process

4 questions:

1. The AMS/Maxwell website says that we will be issued a government laptop but can bring our own if we wanted. Would anyone who went through recently recommend buying a laptop or will the government issued laptop suffice?

2. The list of uniform items to bring requires 1 "Pants, Service, Wool/Poly" then a little further down the list it requires 2 "Pants, Blue, Polyester or Wool/Poly Blend". Do I need to bring 3 pairs of blue pants or are there 2 different kind of pants that I need to bring?

3. Do I need to bring the "US" lapel pins for my service coat or will they be issued to me. If I do need to bring them with, should I bring the ones with or without the circle around them?

4. Since I will be attending in Nov-Dec I am required to bring a "Watch cap, no logo" and "Gloves, Cold weather". Does the watch cap have to be black or sage green. What about the gloves? Everything was issued to me except these items. If anyone knows where (online, I live nowhere near any bases) to buy the watch cap and gloves that will meet the requirements that would be great.

:beer::beer:

H-10

1. I brought a laptop, it was very helpful because my issued laptop had the blue screen of death for the first 2 weeks. Also, bring blank CD's to burn info on since you cant use a thumb drive on GOV comps (preferably the RE-writable kind).

*Get to Walmart when you get there and buy 2 reams of paper if you bring a printer, I also suggest bringing several cartridges of ink for your printer... you will be printing a lot of stuff for the entire flight if the printer in the building goes down (highly likely)...

2. You need 3 pairs of blues pants, don't worry about poly vs wool - they are all the same in the big picture - all that matters is that all three pants are the same blue color as your service dress coat. The supply folks should have given you blue pants that match the coat.

3. The insignia for officers DO NOT have circles, wear those & the silver braided (Officer) flight cap. Also - make sure you get with someone at your home unit that knows how to put a uniform together and have them help you put all the accouterments on the service dress coat (Im assuming you are non-prior, if not sorry...) and leave them that way. Try everything on before you go. As well, go through each garment and clip all the extra strings from them and check the pockets for inspections tags, it will save you a lot of time and hassle if you do this now. Since you are going in the winter I would bring a Gortex Jacket AND FLEECE LINER. If you unit wont issue you a gortex, thats ok they have them there to borrow, but not the liners. Buy the liner if you have to, its cold.

Lastly - When you get there read the "reg" that governs how your room has to be set up, particularly what HAS to be displayed in the room, and what does NOT. Take excess crap and put it in your / a flight mate's car until graduation. Have Fun, PM me if you have any other questions.

Ok, 2 more stupid questions:

1 Can we wear a watch during AMS?

2 Do these meet AFI guidelines for running shoes? I'm concerned about the amount of red in 'em. I just don't want to get shit for having shoes that aren't conservative enough, but I don't want to return them if they'll fly.

Thanks again,

H-10

They'll be fine. I'm wondering about wearing my missle patch on the abu pocket. I know that my maintenance 2w171 badge is authorized, but not sure about the missle patch. Also would appreciate any good links to Air Force history etc.

They'll be fine. I'm wondering about wearing my missle patch on the abu pocket. I know that my maintenance 2w171 badge is authorized, but not sure about the missle patch. Also would appreciate any good links to Air Force history etc.

The shoes are fine, as well as a watch ( I bought a cheap digital that had an alarm on it)

If the patch is an AFSC Badge it is good to go.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Hammerer
If you unit wont issue you a gortex, thats ok they have them there to borrow, but not the liners. Buy the liner if you have to, its cold.

Is that the APECS jacket you're talking about? My unit isn't issuing me one and if I can avoid spending a couple hundred bucks on one that I would use for 6 weeks, that would be great.

Yes. Don't worry if your unit won't issue you one, they have a bunch there to lend out. However they do not have, to my knowledge, the fleece liners that you wear underneath the APECS. This isn't crucial, you can wear the APECS without the liner, but if its cold outside, you will feel it. Worst case, if you are really cold, you can buy one (the liner) at Maxwell at some point during training. Or you could just borrow one from someone in the unit if they are willing to lend it out.

Guest Hammerer

Yes. Don't worry if your unit won't issue you one, they have a bunch there to lend out. However they do not have, to my knowledge, the fleece liners that you wear underneath the APECS. This isn't crucial, you can wear the APECS without the liner, but if its cold outside, you will feel it. Worst case, if you are really cold, you can buy one (the liner) at Maxwell at some point during training. Or you could just borrow one from someone in the unit if they are willing to lend it out.

Thanks, one more quick one, do you need name tapes for the fleece liner?

Thanks, one more quick one, do you need name tapes for the fleece liner?

I'm almost certain the welcome info on the site says the liner is only authorized to be worn under the jacket. So I'm guessing no name tapes would be needed.

Guest bjohnson

I am headed to AMS in January anyone else going then?

Also a few of you have recommended bringing a personal computer. What is the computer used for. All I have is a Mac and I know most government software won't run on it. Will I be OK with a Mac or should I try and get a PC before I go.

Also, will I be able to get a printer when I get there or should I plan on bringing it with me?

Guest Hammerer

I'm almost certain the welcome info on the site says the liner is only authorized to be worn under the jacket. So I'm guessing no name tapes would be needed.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking, but I just wanted to double-check before finding out the hard way.

Also a few of you have recommended bringing a personal computer. What is the computer used for. All I have is a Mac and I know most government software won't run on it. Will I be OK with a Mac or should I try and get a PC before I go.

Also, will I be able to get a printer when I get there or should I plan on bringing it with me?

I'm going on January also. I guess it doesn't matter what kind of laptop to bring as long as it's good and functional. ;) It's best to bring a printer with you though, I'm sure everyone will recommend you bring one along for convenience.

For more Military School Facts, visit this site.

Edited by Yogie
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I took my MacBook and it was fine. I honestly hardly used it besides writing a few papers. However, there was someone in my flight that had some major computer issues with the issued laptop and they weren't resolved until about a week before graduation, so its a good thing he had his. So bring your Mac, you may or may not use it. A printer is really important though. We lucked out with the printer on our floor but some floors didn't have a functioning one the whole time.

Three quick questions:

1... Long sleeved white shirt with plain collar & front (no button-down collar or pleats) for semi-formal uniform during banquet.

What's this for?

And as far as bringing a flashlight, any recommendations?

Also, should blues shirts/coat have all ribbons, badges, etc on them on arrival?

Thanks much!

Three quick questions:

1... Long sleeved white shirt with plain collar & front (no button-down collar or pleats) for semi-formal uniform during banquet.

What's this for?

And as far as bringing a flashlight, any recommendations?

Also, should blues shirts/coat have all ribbons, badges, etc on them on arrival?

Thanks much!

The long sleeved white shirt is for the semi-formal uniform. You'll wear it only for the Dining-in and the Awards Banquet during the last week.

Flashlights should be small and durable, I had a cheap, metal, LED, tactical-looking thing that worked well since you will be beating them up a bit here and there. I highly recommend bringing two and keeping one as a back-up in case you can't find one or it breaks or something. You don't want to be the only person outside in the morning with no flashlight.

The service dress coat should have the everything on it (US insignia, nametag, etc...), but leave everything off the blues shirts.

We were issued camelbacks that had a strip of Velcro for a name tape. I wish I would have brought a name tape for that.

I also brought a laptop. I wrote and printed one paper with it during week one. I didn't use it after that. They fixed my printer issues on day three-ish. You will know right away whether the AMS printer is going to work. If you are driving, bring your printer and computer. if you aren't, get there and see if the AMS printer/computer is going to work. If they don't, go to Walmart with your roommate and buy a 18 dollar printer...bring your own cable from home as they cost more than the cheap printer.

Writing to see how much free time we have at AMS? I'm only 4 classes away from completing my MBA, and Webster offers courses online. The Spring semester runs 9 January - 9 March, and my AMS is 22 Jan - 2 March. I was thinking about working with my MBA professor to do weeks 3-5 course work before I leave for AMS to cover the first two weeks of AMS hell. and then catch up once we have free time.

BTW, I'm a SSgt and I'm reading up on the OTSMAN. I consider myself a pretty good student - if I can get 4-6 hours per week of free time I would have no problem handing the course load.

If you're wondering why I'm even considering this... if I don't enroll, then I have to start paying back the student loans in April. Unfortunately I can't defer this because the active duty is "training." Also, I'm a Navigator candidate, so my IFS training falls smack in the middle of the Spring 2 semester which further delays enrollment, and then Nav training starts in June and I know I won't be able to handle the course load with Aviation training.

Edited by christofury

There is very little free time at AMS. They do this on purpose, very rarely will you complete everything you have to do for each day, in addition to having your uniform ready to go, your room in inspection order, and any addition duty items that have to be completed. The only free time I had was a few hours to go to dinner with some flight members in the last week of the program. All the other time was spent picking grass out of the carpet and looking for smudges on my mirror.

Writing to see how much free time we at AMS?

You have ZERO free time while at AMS. If there was ever any time that I wasn't doing something it wasn't because I had nothing to do, if that makes sense. If you somehow find any free time, even if it were just a few minutes a day, the last thing you'll be wanting to do is work for a MBA class.

Edited by H-10btr

The only things you will be doing on a computer is:

1. Writing emails to classmates using your newly issued CAC/outlook account that you get the day you arrive. (this is not your .mil address)

2. Writing papers using ms word. (papers include memos, sometimes lots of memos depending on your leadership position)

3. Making spreadsheets (AMS staff love having us track statistics)

4. PowerPoint

5. Limited Internet access for gathering info for your papers and power points.

Some people had to make slide shows for the banquet.

Also, before you go to Walmart or wherever, go to the airman's attic. Our class had a metric ton of misc stuff (bins, hangars, cleaning supplies, staplers,etc) left over and apparently that's where it all goes.

• 1 month later...
Guest Thor-Magnus

Thanks for all the great info. I leave for AMS in a little over a month and everything on here has been very helpful. I'm prior enlisted - almost 8 years in aircraft maintenance. I'm 6'2 / 74 inches and I scored a 92 on my last PT test. The concern I have is that my max weight according to the charts is 214 for my height. I'm a large frame guy, in good shape - and when I went into basic training I was 218 and when I came out of basic I weighed 215 - still a pound over my max weight on the new charts. My understanding is the waist measurement is the main component for calculating the body composition portion of the PT test, but I've read that if you are even one pound over your max weight per the chart they will kick you out of AMS. I'm well below the 39 inch max - I taped in at 35 inches on the last test and have leaned out further since then. Is this something I'm overstressing or is it a legitimate concern?