AMS (Academy of Military Science) Questions

Guest lazy26

Guest Sweatervest

NLFTS:

Disadvantages of not arriving on Saturday are: 1)not being able to meet everyone and work together to get your room/clothes straightened out 2)relaxing for a day before the 'fun' begins

Also, are you not arriving until Saturday because of your orders?? You can show up on Saturday and be fine. You do not have to pay for anything!!! I would recommend showing up on Saturday, just because you will be a day behind everyone else. Please, keep in mind that just because your orders say Sunday, that DOES NOT mean that you cannot show up on Saturday. You can stay in your room and everything!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rederin

Hi there-

My boyfriend is currently at AMS and is just now completing week 1. The military lifestyle is very new to me. I was wondering if there were any suggestions on what I can expect over the next 6 weeks as far as contact with him goes. Also, I miss him terribly and I have been writing him almost daily. Is that too much? I ask because I can see from reading this forum that he is very busy. Like I said, it's now been 1 week- I haven't received a letter from him yet. Is this normal? I'm asking you guys rather than sending a letter asking him because I don't want to be a psycho neurotic insecure whackjob girlfriend if I don't have to be (he has enough on his plate). ;-) I would just like to have an idea of what to expect and I would LOVE suggestions on what I can do for him while he's there. What things did your wives/girlfriends/SO's do for you that made you smile or made things a little better/easier?

Like I said, I really miss him. Anything you guys have to offer would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi there-

My boyfriend is currently at AMS and is just now completing week 1. The military lifestyle is very new to me. I was wondering if there were any suggestions on what I can expect over the next 6 weeks as far as contact with him goes. Also, I miss him terribly and I have been writing him almost daily. Is that too much? I ask because I can see from reading this forum that he is very busy. Like I said, it's now been 1 week- I haven't received a letter from him yet. Is this normal? I'm asking you guys rather than sending a letter asking him because I don't want to be a psycho neurotic insecure whackjob girlfriend if I don't have to be (he has enough on his plate). ;-) I would just like to have an idea of what to expect and I would LOVE suggestions on what I can do for him while he's there. What things did your wives/girlfriends/SO's do for you that made you smile or made things a little better/easier?

Like I said, I really miss him. Anything you guys have to offer would be appreciated.

Thanks!

TOTALLY NORMAL to not hear from him, especially during week one. I went through the Knoxville AMS so if it hasn't changed he will be able to use the phone during off hours in phase 2, which usually happens late in week 2.

As far as the letter a day thing, I think I would have enjoyed that in the early phases. I'm sure you won't feel the need as much once he gets phone privileges.

Things you can do: My wife listened to my rants on the phone and patiently reminded me of the bigger picture. She also bought a brand new dress, got her hair done, etc, before coming down for the graduation, and looked STUNNING at the formal dinner. That definitely made me smile.

Don't worry, 6 weeks will be over before you know it... really.

Guest Lockjaw25

Letter a day is fine. The girl I was interested in at the time did that, and as NHBound says, they got a bit more sparse later on when phone privileges came out, but still regular. It was a great morale boost to hear about life outside of Knoxville (at the time). We're now engaged. I think it was a good intro to what UPT might be like for her. Little communication, me constantly being busy, etc.

When you hear they can receive food packages, send some baked stuff. Cookies, brownies, whatever. That was a great pick me up and his squadronmates will love it too. Like NHBound said, it will be over before you know it. Good luck!

Edited by Lockjaw25

• 5 weeks later...
Guest clabanca

Hey Folks. I read through the entire forum...great info! I am waiting for my AMS date and hoping for the first class in FY11 (Sep). Can anyone from the most recent class tell me if we are authorized to wear a Mess Dress to the banquet vs. the semi-formal?

Thanks All

In my class they were allowed if they had it and they had to buy their own OC rank to wear. However, what uniform you wear to the banquet should be the least of your worries right now. I made it simple and wore the semi-formal while I was there.

Guest tailhook62

Hey Folks. I read through the entire forum...great info! I am waiting for my AMS date and hoping for the first class in FY11 (Sep). Can anyone from the most recent class tell me if we are authorized to wear a Mess Dress to the banquet vs. the semi-formal?

Thanks All

I would say no. All of the Flight CCs were in Mess Dress. Plus you won't have rank yet at the banquet so it might look strange.

• 3 months later...

I would defiantly bring a personal laptop and printer so long as they are small. The supplied computer and printer (there was only one when I was there) were ok for most people. However, there were a few that had access and lost it during the time as well as some that never got computer access at all. Things have most likely improved due to our constant complaints about the computer situation but due to the short nature of AMS, if you do encounter difficulties having a backup plan always helps. Tell people to take it easy on printing things while you are there as well, we got it handed to us pretty good for using way too much ink printing things that were unnecessary.

• 4 months later...

A few questions for my upcoming departure for AMS in January:

State ribbons.....the uniform list on the AMS says bring ribbons (State and Federal) - however the Air Force regs say that state ribbons will not be worn while on active duty.

To be safe, can I wear JUST federal ribbons? There's a rule "All or none" also, so I'm not sure.

Secondly, my orders end March 3rd, I'm trying to provide information to my wife on when she needs to be in town for the dinner/graduation, can anyone offer any insight?

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
Guest ashidakim

What are the briefings about and how long are they? I think out of everything posted the briefings give me the most anxiety.

• 3 weeks later...

What are the briefings about and how long are they? I think out of everything posted the briefings give me the most anxiety.

Both briefings are on international topics, and are a specific time length. Don't bust the time and you'll do fine. There is a checklist that your FC will go down while you're giving it, so it's pretty straight forward. It's not so much focused on content as it is following a format.

Trust me, the briefings are the least of your worries.

Both briefings are on international topics, and are a specific time length. Don't bust the time and you'll do fine. There is a checklist that your FC will go down while you're giving it, so it's pretty straight forward. It's not so much focused on content as it is following a format.

Trust me, the briefings are the least of your worries.

SO ...what should be the "MOST" of our worries? hahaha

by the way PM me...curious as to how your doing

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have a class dates for the fall (September or so) yet? I am waiting on class dates and am trying to get some idea of what to expect. Also, I have heard pilots usually get January and March dates because most UPT classes start in the summer. Anyone know if this is true?

Does anyone have a class dates for the fall (September or so) yet? I am waiting on class dates and am trying to get some idea of what to expect. Also, I have heard pilots usually get January and March dates because most UPT classes start in the summer. Anyone know if this is true?

My dates start the first week of November thru mid December. Just got my dates a couple of weeks ago. I start UPT in March.

Edited by Guinthjb

When did you get notified of your dates?

I got UPT dates In March and AMS was awaiting NGB release, and now that there are FY12 Dates its SEP

Edited by Raace10

• 1 month later...
Guest SemperFi

I just got my notification of Sept AMS. Any additional advice anyone can give would be great!

I just got my notification of Sept AMS. Any additional advice anyone can give would be great!

It's been said 1000 times, but make sure you are WELL above the PT mins (This means good form). People are being sent home DAY 1 for missing a pushup or two.

Other than that, have fun - I really enjoyed AMS, the staff is great (for the most part), and I learned a lot there; made some good friends too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

4 questions:

1. The AMS/Maxwell website says that we will be issued a government laptop but can bring our own if we wanted. Would anyone who went through recently recommend buying a laptop or will the government issued laptop suffice?

2. The list of uniform items to bring requires 1 "Pants, Service, Wool/Poly" then a little further down the list it requires 2 "Pants, Blue, Polyester or Wool/Poly Blend". Do I need to bring 3 pairs of blue pants or are there 2 different kind of pants that I need to bring?

3. Do I need to bring the "US" lapel pins for my service coat or will they be issued to me. If I do need to bring them with, should I bring the ones with or without the circle around them?

4. Since I will be attending in Nov-Dec I am required to bring a "Watch cap, no logo" and "Gloves, Cold weather". Does the watch cap have to be black or sage green. What about the gloves? Everything was issued to me except these items. If anyone knows where (online, I live nowhere near any bases) to buy the watch cap and gloves that will meet the requirements that would be great.

:beer::beer:

H-10

Edited by H-10btr