AMS (Academy of Military Science) Questions

Guest lazy26

Guest pilotapplicant

I was then 18 months ago and I started getting paid pretty quick. I started AMS on about the 10th of October and I think I received pay on the 1st but it may have been the 15th of November. You will fax your certified orders back to your home unit and they pay you so if your finance office is anything like mine expect to have them screw it up. Technique only: Since you will have no internet access initially you should plan to not have to deal with anything for the whole six weeks if you can swing it.

Cheers,

Pilotapplicant

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chase34f

What should a non-prior like me be studying 5 weeks before AMS?

links? books? (I have the AF officer handbook)

things like chain of command/rank structure (what would be the current correct rank structure)

Guest Lockjaw25

Chase,

Everything you need to know will be provided in your "Patriot Handbook" (if they still call it that) or in classes, including a few of the things you mentioned.

That being said, some simple stuff you could look at if you really, really wanted to: rank insignia, AF song...but bottom line, you will learn everything you have to know once you're there. Don't worry, you'll forget stuff and get dropped for PT like everyone else...and eventually, even if you know it, but someone else doesn't...you'll get dropped anyway.

Have fun! Heh.

Guest pilotapplicant

I went to Brookes in early November, passed with out any major problems... my package is at state just waiting on dates. I was talking to the training head at my unit and he was saying AMS is a complete cluster F$#k... With that said our unit hasnt sent anyone to AMS in a few months and they are looking at October as the next class. Question i am getting to, havnt been able to find it in the regs if you dont go to UPT within a year of taking your FC1 medical do you have to retake it???

Guest pilotapplicant

Everyone gets a new annual physical just before starting UPT so you will be good for the whole year. It is not as intense as brooks and I am told is basically the same thing you will get for the rest of your career. You will take this even if you just had your flight physical at Brook.

Guest C27_future

I am a prior service person going to AMS in March. I am pretty sure that I will have remove my rank from my sleeves for school, but just in case does anyone know for sure? Also, am I allowed to still wear my skill badges while there? One other thing, I have been in the Air Force now for 8 1\2 years, and I have always been over the 194lbs. that the AF says I have to be at for my height. I have never had problems because I stay under the AF requirement of 20% body fat. When I get to AMS and they weigh me and I am over the AF maximum weight for my height will I be sent home even if I make the BF% requirment? On top of that I have never made less than an 80 for my PFT score. Thanks

Edited by C27_future

Guest C27_future

AFI10-248 25 SEPTEMBER 2006 33

Chapter 6

SPECIAL POPULATIONS

6.1. Accessions. Weight and body fat determinations (as accomplished at MEPS or other point of entry to

service) remain part of accession physical standards and may also be used as entry criteria for accession

training programs. Weight standards are delineated in Table 6.1. Procedures are delineated in DoDI

1308.3. The AF entry screening standards are: maximum weight BMI of 27.5 kg/m2 (see DoDI 1308.3,

Table E2.T1) and maximum body fat of 20% for males <30, 24% for males >30, 28% for females <30,

and 32% for females >30. Applicants exceeding these body fat standards are disqualified for entry into the

AF. Those at or below the minimum weight (BMI of 19) must undergo medical evaluation prior to consideration

for acceptance.

My question is if I am 15% Body Fat but at 29.4 BMI will I get sent home? I need to know if I need to quit eating or not. But, like I said in the recent post I have been doing this for 8 1/2 yrs. and I have never been denied for anything.

Guest Albatross

Going to March AMS.

How strict are they on grading 90 degrees elbows on pushups?

Does anyone have a syllabus from the class and written assignments?

Do I need Gortex/ABEX uniform with fleece?

Is bringing a MAC laptop a problem? Do I need a PC?

Can I transfer flies with USB drive from one computer to another?

Are any other software applications used besides word and power point?

Will really appreciate everyone's input.

Guest Csquared

Going to March AMS.

How strict are they on grading 90 degrees elbows on pushups?

Does anyone have a syllabus from the class and written assignments?

Do I need Gortex/ABEX uniform with fleece?

Is bringing a MAC laptop a problem? Do I need a PC?

Can I transfer flies with USB drive from one computer to another?

Are any other software applications used besides word and power point?

Will really appreciate everyone's input.

1.) Pushups: Just train doing pushups at 90 degrees so you won't have to worry. If you aren't doing them correctly, its likely they will not count.

2.) Sorry, not allowed to give out a syllabus. Just study in groups when you get there, and you will be okay.

3.) I was issued the fleece before I went, and was thankful everyday. Definately have the Gortex/ABEX.

4.) There were a few guys down there with Macs. However, you will need to be able to use microsoft word and powerpoint for it to be of any value.

5.) No transfering via USB. However, I highly recommend bringing CDRW discs. Having them was a lifesaver.

6.) Just word and power point

Also, if you have the means bring a printer. There was only one working printer while there. Hopefully they will fix this before you get there. However, it saved myself and my buddies several times by having my own. Also, those of you asking about rank: Show up without rank, but you can wear your function badges. Good luck to you all!

Guest Undertheradar82

I had a quick question on personnel items to bring. Is it a big deal to bring the following items:

foot spray (like a powder but sprays on)

mouth wash

electric razor

floss sticks

face wash/pads

I remember from basic that we were not allowed to have most of these things. I am leaving in March and just wanted to make sure I could bring the things I use everyday. Thanks for the insight. This forum has really helped me a lot already.

I had a quick question on personnel items to bring. Is it a big deal to bring the following items:

foot spray (like a powder but sprays on)

mouth wash

electric razor

floss sticks

face wash/pads

I remember from basic that we were not allowed to have most of these things. I am leaving in March and just wanted to make sure I could bring the things I use everyday. Thanks for the insight. This forum has really helped me a lot already.

Short answer yes you can bring the above items, most of which will go under the sink but will still be inspectable. I highly recommend the electric razor and floss sticks. They both worked great for me. No one will knock you for being clean as long as the items are in order. I used some plastic bins under the sink for the small loose items. Better grab them from the shopette before they are sold out.

Guest Undertheradar82

Thanks for responding to my last post!! I ran across some additional questions once I was going over the requirement list.

The requirements list states to only bring 4 pairs of socks. Did anyone bring extra so they would not have to do laundry every 4 days? Is there room for extra?

It states in the requirements that you “can” bring two pairs of boots and use one for field training. I have a dirty pair of desert boots that are steel toe. If I were to bring them would I get dinged for having a dirty pair of boots?

It states to bring any functional badges for the blues. Is this referring to the metal maintenance badge that I have on my old blues coat? Along the same lines it states I could put my maintenance badges on my ABU tops but I wasn’t going to because I didn’t want to draw any attention to myself. Did anyone else do the same thing? Any thoughts?

One the blues coat it says to come down there with everything sewn on. Is there time to get that coat altered there? I heard that if its not perfect they rip it off and make you get it done again. I appreciate you guys taking the time to answer these questions and help to calm my fears before I go.

Guest Csquared

Thanks for responding to my last post!! I ran across some additional questions once I was going over the requirement list.

The requirements list states to only bring 4 pairs of socks. Did anyone bring extra so they would not have to do laundry every 4 days? Is there room for extra?

It states in the requirements that you can bring two pairs of boots and use one for field training. I have a dirty pair of desert boots that are steel toe. If I were to bring them would I get dinged for having a dirty pair of boots?

It states to bring any functional badges for the blues. Is this referring to the metal maintenance badge that I have on my old blues coat? Along the same lines it states I could put my maintenance badges on my ABU tops but I wasnt going to because I didnt want to draw any attention to myself. Did anyone else do the same thing? Any thoughts?

One the blues coat it says to come down there with everything sewn on. Is there time to get that coat altered there? I heard that if its not perfect they rip it off and make you get it done again. I appreciate you guys taking the time to answer these questions and help to calm my fears before I go.

Yes you can bring extra socks. I recommend it. I had 5 pairs myself. Make sure you have the right socks (crew socks). They look goofy during PT, but you will get yelled at if you have the low cut ankle socks. As far as the boots, I had two pairs. I only used one pair the entire time. They got pretty muddy towards the end as we spent a little time out in the field. My advice is just to wear the dirty pair all the time. If the dirty pair has to be inspected, just clean them up prior to inspection. I simply left the unused pair for inspection the entire time. Never was an issue for me. As for the functional badges: You will need the metal badge for your blues. You are authorized to wear the sew on functional badge on the abu. About half the people had the functional badge sewn on the abu. I would not wait to get ANYTHING altered once you get there. My advice is to get everything taken care of prior to arrival. Show up ready to go. It took me the full two days to get everything ready. If you come prepared the first few days will be much easier.

Guest Undertheradar82

I have read through the posts but have not seen anything on memorizing anthing. I remember in basic we had to memorize the chain of command from the president down. Is there anything that it would help to have started to memorize by the time we get there.

I am just a slow learner and it takes me longer to memorize things word for word.

Guest bb50hed

Yeah, you have to memorize a little book full of stuff. But don't worry about it, even if you know the knowledge the next person in your flight won't and you still will get dropped for pushups.

Guest RI_Air_Guard

Oh yeah, not sure if anyone knows but I was issued some 2nd LT. bars for blues/ABU's, should I bring these or should I wait to buy them there in order to avoid displaying extra inventory...

Guest Lockjaw25

It's been a while, but some people brought them and stored them in their "personal information" envelope we were allowed to have in our security lockers. They didn't get any grief, because they didn't have them on display. Personally, I thought it was bad juju to show up with that, and with a bunch of others bought the insignia once we had about a week to go until graduation and kept them in my security locker. You get bars (not the epaulets) for your blues upon graduation...if things haven't changed.

But hey, this is from a few years ago, so if anything's changed...chime in.

Guest Sweatervest

Just bring your damn 2nd Lt bars... You have a bin/container that you will be able to keep all of your military rank/ribbons/etc.. in. They do not care if you have them, nor do they even look in this bin.

Guest Big_Sto

What about under armor for PT?

I graduated in the last class and you are allowed to wear Under Armor under your AF PT gear. Just make sure that you get with your Standardization Officer and figure out how it will be folded and where you will store it.

Guest Jaeger Bomb

I graduated in the last class and you are allowed to wear Under Armor under your AF PT gear. Just make sure that you get with your Standardization Officer and figure out how it will be folded and where you will store it.

I don't think you have anything to be worried about... my friend just got back from the October class, and he said there were a LOT of people over the MAW, including himself. They don't really care about that as long as you pass the PT test (tape + run + pushups + situps). I think they have to "say" they are going to eliminate you if you are overweight.. but by those standards, Ray Lewis would be disqualified. So as long as you are in shape, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm 5'11.5, and I'm right at 208 - 210 right now. I got a 93 on the PT test last year, so I'm not worried about it.

Guest NLFTS

Hey guys... looking forward to class! Two questions if anybody can help me out:

1) My orders leave me no choice but to arrive on Sunday. My base Training Office and Orderly Room dropped the ball and didn't notify me of the class until 6 days ago, so I'm scrambling to make things work and get everything ready in time! Does anybody know of a cutoff time to In-Process on Sunday? And for those that have attended class prior, how much of a disadvantage will I be at with not arriving on Saturday?

2)Do we pay for billeting over the course of the 6 weeks? Is there a daily lodging cost that will need to be covered by GTC or personal funding, or are the dorms provided at no cost to us during the training?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!