CSO drop nights

15-14 (OFF MEMORY)

HC-130J (USAFR)

Most likely either USAFR HC-P, or AD or ANG HC-J... The AD is not slated to be finished receiving their HC-J's until about 6 months from now. Some time After that AK ANG will start receiving their J's. Last I heard the one USAFR HC unit (patrick) is not slated to get their J's until 2018-2020 time frame.

Looks like they are starting to drop the HC-130J. Word around the squadrons here was that it was still the golden unicorn until the 16-01 class dropped them. Also, they took the uncertanties of the growler out of the equation now. Higher ups were saying for a while that one was going to drop in FY 15 and/or 16 but those rumors have been thrown out.

Edited by Drizzie

• 4 weeks later...

16-02 

F-15E x3

B-1B

AC-130W

B-52 x4 (not sure EWO/CSO)

EC-130 NAV

RC-135 x3 (not sure on NAV/EWO)

AWACS

HC-130J Moody

C-130 MT ANG

16-03

F-15E x2

B-1B x2

B-52 WSO

AC-130W

MC-130J (Mildenhall)

HC-130J

EC-130H EWO

RC-135 EWO x3

RC-135 NAV

U-28 CSO x4 

C-130H MT/Savannah ANG

Edited by Drizzie
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm that the AC130W MQT at Cannon is shut down until at least Jan of 2017. It is a manning issue from where I'm at, but the syllabus might also be a small factor.

AFPC is changing some dudes (of all crew positions) from W to U's, so good on those guys for getting to go to Hurlburt instead of Cannon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, that's nuts! Yep, I'm a little jealous of those folks going to Hurby! I do miss the gulf coast and Pensacola. Been TDY to Hurlburt a few times now and it's always nice to go there too. Hopefully I'll get to PCS there someday...I do love the beach and it's within driving distance to go home and see my parents and friends on the weekends too (but far enough so my family doesn't bug me constantly lol). It'll also give them a chance to make weekend trips to see me and spend time on the beach instead of flying out to the desert and having to drive 3+ hours to go see something cool hahaha 

• 1 month later...

16-05

AC-130U NAV

AC-130U EWO

JSTAR

AWACS X2

RC-135 NAV X4

RC-135 EWO

B-52 WSO

B-52 EWO

F-15 X2

Sorry, I don't have 16-04's drop. I was already drunk before it began and forgot to write it all down. I can remember some of it from memory...

AC-130U Nav

AC-130U EWO

MC-130 J Mildenhall

HC-130J

RC-135 EWO x3+ ...? (one was switched to NAV at schoolhouse but dropped EWO)

AWACS x2

JSTARS

U-28 

BONE

F-15 x3

I think I'm missing a couple. There may have been another RC in there somewhere. I know there were at least three.

Edited by Drizzie

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, CDAWG said:

My buddy's Facebook for 16-08 said:

3 X F-15E

3 X U28

EC-130 

AC-130U

Plus a JSTARS...

and 2 ANG C-130's...

according to another thread. 

Edited by Huggyu2

• 3 weeks later...

16-09 Drop

AC-130 U (Hurlburt, FL)
EC-130 NAV (Davis Monthan, AZ)
MC-130J CSO (Kadena, Japan)
C-130H Guard Nav (Reno, NV)
U-28 CSO (Cannon, NM)
E-3 Nav (Tinker, OK)
2 X F-15E (Seymour Johnson, NC)

Everyone except for one person got their top choice, and he got his 4th. 

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Negative. Nav and Radar are only checklist positions for the right and left seat now, though. You come out of the FTU qual'd in both the radar/nav seats. That being said, the inexperienced dude generally sits right seat and the experienced dude takes the left still.

Edubs are edubs. They're still in a world by themselves.

6 hours ago, gohornsgo said:

Negative. Nav and Radar are only checklist positions for the right and left seat now, though. You come out of the FTU qual'd in both the radar/nav seats. That being said, the inexperienced dude generally sits right seat and the experienced dude takes the left still.

Edubs are edubs. They're still in a world by themselves.

We had a chat about this with the B-52 FTU (I'm in the B-1 FTU).  It seems so foreign to me that the B-1 FTU puts people through both the DSO and OSO training but the B-52 doesn't put guys through EWO training.  There's a lot of questions with Strike Vista about whether radar navs are going to struggle with the defensive portion of the syllabus.

16 hours ago, pawnman said:

We had a chat about this with the B-52 FTU (I'm in the B-1 FTU).  It seems so foreign to me that the B-1 FTU puts people through both the DSO and OSO training but the B-52 doesn't put guys through EWO training.  There's a lot of questions with Strike Vista about whether radar navs are going to struggle with the defensive portion of the syllabus.

I know I would, as would most non-patch wearing downstairs types.

I'm not sure how easy the EW suite in the Bone is to operate, but the stuff in the B-52 is antiquated beyond belief to the point where it still takes an additional crew member to operate all that stuff. Hell, we still need two guys downstairs just to wrangle in all of the offensive systems downstairs. That being said, the process of combining the qualifications for Radar/Nav and making dudes dual seat qual'd is a step towards consolidating alot of that. I went through the FTU not too long ago ('13-'14), and we were still on the old school mission planning-centric syllabus where the dude in the left seat was learning INU management and how to run a gravity bomb run, while the guy in the right seat was trying to shack his timing and dead reckon and all that. I never even flew with a targeting pod on my jet or had simulated LGBs in the system until I got to my ops squadron. 

Now, guys are running through the FTU primarily in the left seat getting just short of full up SNIPER qual'd and are better than some experienced dudes at taking a BOT 9-line. Their mission planning sucks and a lot of the dudes coudln't fly off of a chart to save their lives, but the skills they're learning are more applicable to what we're moving towards with 1760 in the bay/CONECT/all the data link upgrades, and a lot of it is based on what you guys have been doing now that we're finally starting to catch up to the rest of the CAF and move out of the "let's fly a maneuvering gravity bomb run like we're dodging SA-2s over Hanoi" mentality. Who knows how far off it is or if it'll actually play out, but once they start pumping money into us with this whole "arsenal truck" thing, I can see the BUFF going to an OSO/DSO set up real quick, with the crossover guys with B-1 time leading the way.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2016 at 7:25 AM, pawnman said:

They should be relatively knowledgeable about the threats in general.  Since the Bone's defensive stuff is much more user friendly, I doubt they'll have issues.  My worry for the Buff guys going to the Bone is fitting in from a credibility standpoint.  You take a guy who's been flying really nothing more than Lancer sorties and the occasional CBP deployment and you plunk him into a squadron where even most of the LTs have combat time.  Tough sledding, if you ask me.  The Bone guys coming to us will probably have a leg up on your average run-of-the-mill offender, as we're only qualifying them in the offense seats.  Just get ready for a culture shock when you go from 1980s tech to 1960s. 

18 minutes ago, 08Dawg said:

They should be relatively knowledgeable about the threats in general.  Since the Bone's defensive stuff is much more user friendly, I doubt they'll have issues.  My worry for the Buff guys going to the Bone is fitting in from a credibility standpoint.  You take a guy who's been flying really nothing more than Lancer sorties and the occasional CBP deployment and you plunk him into a squadron where even most of the LTs have combat time.  Tough sledding, if you ask me.  The Bone guys coming to us will probably have a leg up on your average run-of-the-mill offender, as we're only qualifying them in the offense seats.  Just get ready for a culture shock when you go from 1980s tech to 1960s. 

We've put a few BUFF guys through already when they got hired for the B-1 reserve unit, and they all seemed to do fine.  I think they'll be OK in the beginning at the ops squadron.  Where the credibility thing will really come into question is this scheme for them to upgrade to instructor a year after graduating the FTU.  Most pilots don't upgrade to IP until about three years in an ops squadron, most WSOs at two.  AFGSC will have to re-write some portions of the 11-2B-1 for these guys to meet minimum hours/sorties/time to upgrade to AC, FLUG, and IP.