C-17 Down on Elmendorf

uhhello

The Wing Chief of Safety (a Nav) at Offutt has decided that this does not apply to 135 Pilots and will not release it to the biggest wing in ACC. Shame, looks like we could all learn a lot from this accident.

A couple of points on this:

1) I don't think it is the local Chief of Safety's call whether or not to release it. If the JA guys at the Safety Center deem it applicable, it is their call to release it to Offutt's flight safety office.

2) This guy sounds like he will make a great WG/CC at the Deid sometime very soon.

I wish there was some kind of hotline you could can and report guys like this. Then 20 minutes later he is thrown out of the safety office.

Does he have the brief? If he does, get your SQ/CC to lean on him. Mishap prevention is his job, and this brief give a lot of insight into how mishaps can develop over time and you won't notice until bites you in the ass.

I am surprised the AIB is taking so long.

Side note: SIB on C-17 4-eng falme out is due out soon. If you want to know more about this one, start new thread.

Guest Crew Report

I am surprised the AIB is taking so long.

Maybe it's taking so long due to the process of firing some OG people?

The Wing Chief of Safety (a Nav) at Offutt has decided that this does not apply to 135 Pilots and will not release it to the biggest wing in ACC. Shame, looks like we could all learn a lot from this accident.

Somebody needs to tell the half-wing that it's his job to provide you the report, if you want it! That's weird, because our squadron safety shop gave us the briefing, with the actual footage and the animation. This is in a pointy nose squadron...so yes, it applies to everyone who flies.

But if he will not show that, take a look at the ever famous BUFF crash. Having seen that so many times in training, that's all I could think about as I watched the videos. All for an airshow...

1) I don't think it is the local Chief of Safety's call whether or not to release it. If the JA guys at the Safety Center deem it applicable, it is their call to release it to Offutt's flight safety office.

However, it is the local CoS call whether to ask AFSC to release it in the first place. It sounds like he hasn't or won't ask.

Edited by Herk Driver

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Steve,

The release of AIB is not directly related to disciplinary actions taken. AIBs are public record (whereas SIBs are not) and may be used to determine punitive actions, but its release is not tied to those actions.

Can some of you C-17 guys shed some light on this part? This was the final right turn as they were completing the 80/260 reversal. Seems a little odd to use FULL right rudder in a jet. Did the board rule out hard over rudder or uncommanded rudder deflection?

Five seconds into the right turn, the stall warning system activated. At this time, the MA's configuration was full right rudder, the control stick aft, and slats retracting.

Given the comments above about the OG CC, and the report's mention of procedural guidance and programme oversight, does the release of the AIB mean that there has not been any disciplinary action in the Wing?

Nothing has happened to anyone in the wing... yet. Standing by for that...

Chuck

Can some of you C-17 guys shed some light on this part? This was the final right turn as they were completing the 80/260 reversal. Seems a little odd to use FULL right rudder in a jet. Did the board rule out hard over rudder or uncommanded rudder deflection?

There was no hard over or uncommanded deflection. Upon realizing what was happening, the MP swapped from full right rudder to full left and aft left stick to try and recover. If you can figure out the "why?" on either of those happenings, you'd answer the million dollar question we've been wrestling with for months up here. It would have taken THOUSANDS of feet required to recover the jet.

Chuck

There was no hard over or uncommanded deflection. Upon realizing what was happening, the MP swapped from full right rudder to full left and aft left stick to try and recover. If you can figure out the "why?" on either of those happenings, you'd answer the million dollar question we've been wrestling with for months up here. It would have taken THOUSANDS of feet required to recover the jet.

Chuck

Would you have used rudder for that turn? I'm just confused why they were using any rudder, much less full right rudder for a turn.

Actually, from what a C-17 guy told me, you might want to bold the "slats retracting" portion of this text as opposed to the rudder stuff. Losing an enormous amount of lift (and increasing stall speed by dozens on knots) in a middle of a max performing turn is not a good thing, and probably had something to do with this one being an accident as opposed to the dozens of times that they successfully performed this maneuver.

Five seconds into the right turn, the stall warning system activated. At this time, the MA's configuration was full right rudder, the control stick aft, and slats retracting.

Edited by JS