T-Bird mishap pilot receives CSAF safety award

lloyd christmas

Just curious if this is the same guy that crashed as a Thunderbird at Mt Home?

CSAF Individual Safety Award - Lt. Col. Christopher Stricklin, 14th Flying Training Wing, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.

Colonel Stricklin led and managed flight, ground, and weapon safety programs for 3,000 personnel, including 20 essential safety personnel who provided over 3,120 annual hours of on-call service. As a direct result of his efforts, flight mishaps were reduced in nearly every category; down 50 percent in Class A, 70 percent in Class C, 44 percent in Class E, and 50 percent in Controlled Movement Area Violations.

Article here. http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123194075

I'm curious what the requirements for this award are (I Googled and the article from the OP was the only return). It strikes me as odd that an individual safety award goes to somebody whose accomplishment was not a direct involvement in a flight safety issue (i.e. recovering a jet during an IFE). I don't care what the citation says, I seriously doubt that those reduction in mishaps were a "direct result" of his efforts. He may have come up with some great programs, but attributing a decrease in mishaps to safety programs - and specifically to the guy running the shop - gives all the credit to one when it is due to those flying and turning wrenches. This is an award that should have gone to Wing Safety as a whole, or the Group/Wing.

But I guess if you're good at metrics, you can spin your stats into an award that sounds great.

Guest CombatDescent

I am surprised to see the guy still in the AF! I figured he would get at least severely demoted. I guess this goes to show that even after an epic failure a guy can still be worth something. I think I would have gone blue to green. It doesn’t get any more publicized in the AF than when a T-bird buries one. I also wouldn’t create any headlines by awards or anything. I bet his whole base is asking the same thing. Is that the guy…?

I'm curious what the requirements for this award are (I Googled and the article from the OP was the only return). It strikes me as odd that an individual safety award goes to somebody whose accomplishment was not a direct involvement in a flight safety issue (i.e. recovering a jet during an IFE). I don't care what the citation says, I seriously doubt that those reduction in mishaps were a "direct result" of his efforts. He may have come up with some great programs, but attributing a decrease in mishaps to safety programs - and specifically to the guy running the shop - gives all the credit to one when it is due to those flying and turning wrenches. This is an award that should have gone to Wing Safety as a whole, or the Group/Wing.

But I guess if you're good at metrics, you can spin your stats into an award that sounds great.

Shack. Page 11

I am surprised to see the guy still in the AF! I figured he would get at least severely demoted. I guess this goes to show that even after an epic failure a guy can still be worth something. I think I would have gone blue to green. It doesn’t get any more publicized in the AF than when a T-bird buries one. I also wouldn’t create any headlines by awards or anything. I bet his whole base is asking the same thing. Is that the guy…?

Wow dude. Pretty judgmental for a guy who has apparently never flown a jet before. It must be nice knowing that you are perfect. I hope you never make a mistake, then you'd have to hide under a rock for the rest of your life to avoid other judgmental pricks like you.

Wow dude. Pretty judgmental for a guy who has apparently never flown a jet before. It must be nice knowing that you are perfect. I hope you never make a mistake, then you'd have to hide under a rock for the rest of your life to avoid other judgmental pricks like you.

I was thinking the exact same thing...

YAAFM

Your comments are way out of bounds, but in all honesty, his situation does raise the issue of a perceived double standard. Not because of the safety award, but because he was promoted below the zone to Lt Col and is a designated SDE select, less than three years after the crash. Anyone know what happened to the B-1 guys who landed gear up?...or the C-17 guys that landed gear up?

I don't know the specifics, but from everything I have ever heard, he is an outstanding dude and perhaps the AF was right to overlook his mistake, but I don't think others who made similar mistakes in recent years have been so lucky.

I agree the whole situation seems odd that some crews lose everything over a single mishap (some where the aircraft was recoverable in its post-incident state) and this guy is still picked up BTZ and gets a command. The guy probably is an outstanding pilot and leader, but I wonder about those C-17 crews and the B-1 crews that landed gear up and other incidents where they are crucified all because they don't have top cover. Someone obviously is going to bat for this guy. Perhaps he's earned it or we're in for the next Foglesong.

I'd appreciate feedback by any of his subordinates.

Your comments are way out of bounds, but in all honesty, his situation does raise the issue of a perceived double standard. Not because of the safety award, but because he was promoted below the zone to Lt Col and is a designated SDE select, less than three years after the crash. Anyone know what happened to the B-1 guys who landed gear up?...or the C-17 guys that landed gear up?

I don't know the specifics, but from everything I have ever heard, he is an outstanding dude and perhaps the AF was right to overlook his mistake, but I don't think others who made similar mistakes in recent years have been so lucky.

The entire C-17 crew is back flying.

The 2 front seaters on the B-1 last I heard were done. The PIC is definitely done and that was not his 1st accident attributed to pilot error. Now the co-pilot was screwed because he took the go-pill that he admitted no being ground tested for, so that is a little more than just 1 simple mistake.

There is a big difference between back flying and moving up. IMHO, seeing how desperate the AF is for pilots will mean that you will continue to fly after the accident. What is suprising is this guy's track... though I believe he went to the pentagon after the accident. I'm sure he made some connections there. And from what what I have seen, the air force can forgive you for an accident, as long as you swallow their medicine.

I imagine the award was given before the T-6 incident.

There is a big difference between back flying and moving up. IMHO, seeing how desperate the AF is for pilots will mean that you will continue to fly after the accident. What is suprising is this guy's track... though I believe he went to the pentagon after the accident. I'm sure he made some connections there. And from what what I have seen, the air force can forgive you for an accident, as long as you swallow their medicine.

what t-6 incident?

I agree the whole situation seems odd that some crews lose everything over a single mishap (some where the aircraft was recoverable in its post-incident state) and this guy is still picked up BTZ and gets a command. The guy probably is an outstanding pilot and leader, but I wonder about those C-17 crews and the B-1 crews that landed gear up and other incidents where they are crucified all because they don't have top cover. Someone obviously is going to bat for this guy. Perhaps he's earned it or we're in for the next Foglesong.

I'd appreciate feedback by any of his subordinates.

I think the difference is in making a math error in a very in a demanding flight envelope, versus basic airmanship (putting gear down), plus additional factors listed above by others.

I have also worked for him, would gladly do so again, and would follow him anywhere. Definitely NOT the next "he whose name shall not be spoken."

Guest CombatDescent

Ok, let me explain myself. My comments were made of off the cuff sarcasm; not sincere views of any kind with this being the squadron bar and all.

-Note that I did not say or question that he does/doesn’t deserve to be in.

I am sure he is capable of accomplishing anything. Come on he is a T-bird pilot and the only reason he is being discussed now is ….he is being awarded for an accomplishment. I really am surprised the Air Force has let him stay in without severe demotion etc. From what I have seen while being in, is if you cause extensive damage you are demoted, loss of rank, privileges, and quals. And that is just the beginning. Now you’re the flight D-bag and the supervisors sure aren’t going to award him for a job well done or treat with any respect anytime soon with that title. I’ve seen this done to really a few great guys who have done and continue to do an excellent job, but made a single simple mistake w/consequences. Their reprimand is on paper and it is following them wherever they go. It goes from base to base and nothing these guys did wrong made any headlines, let alone national coverage.

Personally, I find it encouraging to see this guy still in and doing well. Too many times decisions are based on what’s on the paper and not on the airman standing in front of them. But, luckily for this guy, and hopefully more often decisions will be based on the potential of the individual not out of fear of how things will look on paper.

Ok, now continue to create possible scenarios of how my experience and everything else is inadequate, invalid, and so on......some of you were on a roll

Ok, let me explain myself. My comments were made of off the cuff sarcasm; not sincere views of any kind with this being the squadron bar and all.

-Note that I did not say or question that he does/doesn’t deserve to be in.

I am sure he is capable of accomplishing anything. Come on he is a T-bird pilot and the only reason he is being discussed now is ….he is being awarded for an accomplishment. I really am surprised the Air Force has let him stay in without severe demotion etc. From what I have seen while being in, is if you cause extensive damage you are demoted, loss of rank, privileges, and quals. And that is just the beginning. Now you’re the flight D-bag and the supervisors sure aren’t going to award him for a job well done or treat with any respect anytime soon with that title. I’ve seen this done to really a few great guys who have done and continue to do an excellent job, but made a single simple mistake w/consequences. Their reprimand is on paper and it is following them wherever they go. It goes from base to base and nothing these guys did wrong made any headlines, let alone national coverage.

Personally, I find it encouraging to see this guy still in and doing well. Too many times decisions are based on what’s on the paper and not on the airman standing in front of them. But, luckily for this guy, and hopefully more often decisions will be based on the potential of the individual not out of fear of how things will look on paper.

Ok, now continue to create possible scenarios of how my experience and everything else is inadequate, invalid, and so on......some of you were on a roll

Demotion? When was the last time an officer was demoted without committing a serious crime? A mistake =! crime. I don't know you and I don't know your experience. But you knida sound like you're full of BS.

But this is the point I was trying to make. Why did they lose those jets? Other than the T-6, the only class A info I could find was the T-38s fatality due to a Unless there was a failure to follow maintenance procedures, this is an accident where there is no fault. There is nothing a safety officer can do to cause or prevent this kind of thing.

Maybe some of these incidents were attributed to an individual's failure to follow procedure or practice good airmanship - but these are not remedied with sweeping safety programs, and a lack of these type of incidents should reflect more on the instructors than the wing safety officer.

For this award to be valid, there should be a direct input to stop a cause and effect action. Valid would be...

- "Created a CBM BASH program that changed flying procedures and resulted in a decreased number of birdstrikes."

- "Analyzed a string of MX-related IFEs, found a casual procedural MX factor, changed that factor, and eliminated further IFEs."

- "Reviewed syllabus of training procedures following a number of solo student mishaps and revised the syllabus prerequisites to eliminate further mishaps"

Valid is not saying "Let's give the safety officer an award because we had less safety mishaps since less jets are breaking and people aren't doing stupid shit."

Guest Okawner

I think the difference is in making a math error in a very in a demanding flight envelope, versus basic airmanship (putting gear down), plus additional factors listed above by others.

I disagree. Call it what you want, but pilot error is pilot error. The pilots flying these planes are trained to a standard, and that standard is to fly the plane in all normal and anticipated emergency regimes in a safe and effective manner. That's like saying the surgeon who sews up a scalpel inside some poor bastard's gut is less of a F-up than the janitor who forgets to empty the trash can in the bathroom because his job is harder. If you're qualled in the jet and the mission and you bend a perfectly good airplane, it's on you. There's no distinction between "acceptable" pilot error and "unacceptable" pilot error based on the aircraft, unit, mission, phase of flight, etc.

Don't get me wrong, the "additional factors" piece definitely changes the game. But if we're talking about one first time, non-doped offender vs. another, I don't see a difference.

I think the difference is in making a math error in a very in a demanding flight envelope

You do realize this was a maneuver he had probably practiced many times, and he forgot to take into account that he was at a different altitude. Seems like it would be a pretty easy concept for someone who made the t-birds squad to understand that your indicated altitude doesn't always equate to your altitude AGL.

Though I guess I'm not allowed to speculate because I'm not part of this elite club of fighter pilots :salut:

From what I have seen while being in, is if you cause extensive damage you are demoted, loss of rank, privileges, and quals

If you're wondering why people are commenting about your experience level, it's because of comments like this.

I have seen plenty of pilots lose quals over screw ups. I have never seen (or heard of) an officer being "demoted" or having a "loss of rank" or loss of "privileges" over an in-flight incident.

The other half of this that you seem to demonstrate a lack of understanding of is that there is a significant difference between a mistake and a crime. The AF flying community is very good about differentiating the difference between when someone makes a legitimate error, and when someone does something knowingly wrong. Most of the time when errors are made, there may be a minor slap on the wrist (like a grounding or loss of qual) and a penalty "mea culpa" in front of the squadron (also very handy in helping other pilots to not make the same mistake), but that's where it ends. I have seen this even when the "oops" resulted in a Class A (after the board has made it's ruling, of course).

But this is the point I was trying to make. Why did they lose those jets?

Second T-38 was a bird strike during a LL, sometime end of '06 beginning of '07, both guys got out. The two T-6's were a mid-air over the aux field pattern entry, happened either Nov or Dec 2007, all four guys got out.

I am surprised to see the guy still in the AF! I figured he would get at least severely demoted. I guess this goes to show that even after an epic failure a guy can still be worth something. I think I would have gone blue to green...

258Troll_spray.jpg

What is suprising is this guy's track... though I believe he went to the pentagon after the accident. I'm sure he made some connections there.

No doubt. That shit happens all the time around here. You should see all the connections being made - it's like a damn AT&T operator's switchboard on Mother's day! I can't wait 'til I leave here - I am so hooked up!

EDIT: IAAFM

Edited by Spoo