• Board: September 2022
  • Hired: September 2022
  • MEPS: Soon?
  • Swear in/Gaining: ??
  • Sent to NGB: ??
  • NGB Approved: ??
  • OTS: ??
  • UPT: ??

A long road of failures and mistakes carried by persistence led to this point. For dudes still grinding, keep at it. It's coming, cheers.

• 4 weeks later...
Question for guard guys who got hired by a different unit..  Do they typically gain you right away so that you drill with the newly hired unit in your current AFSC until something else happens or do they wait to gain you closer to some of your training dates?

They typically put you in a random AFSC and you just chill for drill. Making corn, filling the bar, etc. usually the first action is to gain you prior to IFC1.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2022 at 3:05 PM, 7thokage said:

They typically put you in a random AFSC and you just chill for drill. Making corn, filling the bar, etc. usually the first action is to gain you prior to IFC1.

One other question for ya.  My newly hired unit keeps mentioning MEPS, although I'm already an ANG member at another unit.  Are they just using that term for FC1 or do I actually have to go through MEPS again on top of that?

One other question for ya.  My newly hired unit keeps mentioning MEPS, although I'm already an ANG member at another unit.  Are they just using that term for FC1 or do I actually have to go through MEPS again on top of that?

If you’re currently in, you will not have to go through MEPS again. They will just transfer you over and then schedule the flight physical

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Active Duty E -> ANG Fighter Select 

• AFOQT/TBAS: Jan 2022
  • IFC1: Jan 2022
  • Board/Hired: Aug 2022
  • MEPS: Not required, Already active duty. 
  • Swear in/Gaining: March 2023 (Approved Palace Chase)
  • Sent to NGB: 5 April 2023
  • NGB Approved: 21 May 23 (rejected due to recruiter error on cover sheet).
  • OTS: Aug Oct 5 Dec 2023
  • UPT: April 2024 Columbus
Edited by SquidBilly

Wanted to get my timeline going on here.  

Prior enlisted AD, current ANG with another unit hired to a tanker unit.  

Applied:  Feb 2022

Board: 5 Nov 2022 (honestly thought the board had already convened and that I never got a call back even for a TBNT)

Hired:  About 2 weeks after the interview 

FC1: 27 Feb 2023

OTS: ???  

I read on the ANG sub-reddit that OTS classes are currently booked out through FY24.  Hoping that's not true.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2023 at 1:33 PM, ryleypav said:

If you have a PPL or greater you will not go to IFT. Otherwise it is still required. 

Is there a currency requirement for skipping IFT with a PPL or greater? I’ve seen in various places that your last flight had to be within 5 years. Is that true or as long as you have it are you good? 

Edited by BL_224

On 1/10/2023 at 4:48 AM, BL_224 said:

Is there a currency requirement for skipping IFT with a PPL or greater? I’ve seen in various places that your last flight had to be within 5 years. Is that true or as long as you have it are you good? 

Not sure. I didn't go so I never looked into it. If you have it, I'd expect to not go. If you have a PPL, IFT wont help all that much.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, pwhockey11 said:

How long did you guys spend in-processing at the 340th? And how soon was it before you left for UPT? Thanks for any help. 

Unless it's changed, you usually you go to Randolph for 5-7 days, 2-4 weeks before you start OTS for an admin spin up. Then 2-4 weeks later you'll start the whole 2.5+ year CONTINUOUS pipeline of orders with OTS.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Off the street Guard C-130 Hire Timeline:

-Interview: January 2022

-Job Offer: Early February 2022

-MEPS: Early August 2022

-MEPS Waiver Sent and Approved: Early October 

-Packet sent to State: Late January 2023

-Packet approved by State: Early March 2023

-Sent to NGB: Early March 2023

-Approved by NGB:

-Swear in:

-FC1: 

-Orders:

-OTS: 

-UPT: 

Off the street hire at a Guard Tanker Unit.

March 2023 Update: UPT Complete (syllabus)

AMF check last week, just over a month ahead of schedule. Graduate in mid April.

AFOQT/TBAS: July 2016

Board: November 2019

Hired:  November 2019

MEPS: Passed April 2020 amid the 'rona outbreak. 

Enlistment: June 2020.

FC1: September 29, 2020

FC1 Stamped Approved: November 2020

NGB approval: March 2021

OTS: August 2021

UPT: March 2022 - April 2023, Laughlin AFB, TX.  

FTU: May - October 2023 Altus AFB

On 3/12/2023 at 3:31 PM, ryleypav said:

Off the street hire at a Guard Tanker Unit.

March 2023 Update: UPT Complete (syllabus)

AMF check last week, just over a month ahead of schedule. Graduate in mid April.

AFOQT/TBAS: July 2016

Board: November 2019

Hired:  November 2019

MEPS: Passed April 2020 amid the 'rona outbreak. 

Enlistment: June 2020.

FC1: September 29, 2020

FC1 Stamped Approved: November 2020

NGB approval: March 2021

OTS: August 2021

UPT: March 2022 - April 2023, Laughlin AFB, TX.  

FTU: May - October 2023 Altus AFB

Cheers on making it through UPT.  Is there a difference between FTU and PIQ or do they essentially mean the same thing?

Off the street (but prior service) hired to reserve heavies.

AFOQT/TBAS: December 2022

Board / verbal offer: February 2023

Contacted Reserve Officer Recruiter: March 2023

MEPS: July 2023. no waivers needed. Submitting documents to get FC1 soon.

I was given a very loose timeline, and told to wait for a few months before anything more formal happens. It's tough being offered a dream job followed by complete silence with no set plan as to when things will be put down on paper.

Edited by bs98
update.

Off the street (but prior service) hired to reserve heavies.
AFOQT/TBAS: December 2022
Board/ verbal offer: February 2023
Everything else: TBD
I'll update as things develop, but how formal was everyone's process after the "congrats, we want you" call? I was given a very loose timeline, and told to wait for a few months before anything more formal happens. It's super tough being offered a dream job followed by complete silence with no set plan as to when things will be put down on paper.

Damn son, that might be the quickest afoqt to hire I’ve seen on here. You know what is tougher? Being on this train for years Congrats on getting picked up though, hopefully the pipeline goes smooth for you.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, twoTangoKilo said:

Cheers on making it through UPT.  Is there a difference between FTU and PIQ or do they essentially mean the same thing?

Kinda the same. Altus would be the FTU for KC-135s, but PIQ is the course name for initial qual in the jet. 

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/14/2023 at 8:26 AM, twoTangoKilo said:

Is there a difference between FTU and PIQ or do they essentially mean the same thing?

@ryleypavhas it. I am also just speaking for heavies, as I have no clue what pointi bois can do in-house vs at a school house. 

PIQ = Pilot Initial Qualification. The course, which you go to at the FTU. You learning to fly your newly assigned jet.

FTU = Field Formal Training Unit. The schoolhouse and physical location you go to train. You'll go (mostly) go here for every big qualification/upgrade training related to your airframe; the number of times which varies greatly by airframe/qualifications/upgrades required. 

Edited by FDNYOldGuy
F'd up
  • Upvote 1

Prior enlisted hired from within ANG unit:

1. TBAS: 23 MAR 18
  2. AFOQT: 29 MAR 18
  3. Interview: 10 SEP 22
  4. Notified of selection: 11 SEP 22
  5. FC1 appointment request submitted by recruiting: 30 SEP 22
  6. Notified of FC1 appointment by recruiting: 4 OCT 22
  7. FC1: 7 NOV 22
  8. FC1 stamped approved (w/ 2 waivers): 20 DEC 22
  9. NGB submission: 26 FEB 23
  10. Notified of NGB approval by recruiting (unsure of actual approval date): 20 MAR 23
  11. Notified of OTS dates (1 AUG - 29 SEP 23) via email from Holm Center: 20 MAR 23
  12. UPT training request submitted by training office: ???
  13. Notified of UPT training dates: ???
  14. UPT: ???
Edited by Burt

I guess to follow up on this. To clarify, does base training make a separate request for UPT or is that all handled at the NGB level? Trying to figure out the workflow after getting OTS dates. I know our last two hires didn't get UPT dates until they were at OTS. My recruiter said he thought I couldn't get UPT dates until I had my Forms 133 & 337 but I don't think that's correct since I know a lot of people that have gotten UPT dates before they left for OTS. 

non-prior/off-the-street hire at a heavy reserve squadron:

AFOQT/TBAS: October 2022

Reserve Recruiter Contact: November 2022

MEPS: December 2022

Interview/Job Offer: March 2023

It is not an easy path, but it can be made simpler by the amount of up-front work you put in on your end.

Edited by atomatoflames

On 3/25/2023 at 12:04 PM, Burt said:

I guess to follow up on this. To clarify, does base training make a separate request for UPT or is that all handled at the NGB level? Trying to figure out the workflow after getting OTS dates. I know our last two hires didn't get UPT dates until they were at OTS. My recruiter said he thought I couldn't get UPT dates until I had my Forms 133 & 337 but I don't think that's correct since I know a lot of people that have gotten UPT dates before they left for OTS. 

I was actually able to get some more info after some digging. So it sounds like NGB projects out where they expect you to be slotted and you can get projected "soft dates" for UPT (including the base and the breakdown between phases) from NGB A3 but you don't get a formal TLN until after graduating OTS.

Sounds like the norm is most people don't formally find out until they're actually at OTS. Training makes the formal request then to get the TLN through the A3 NGB Rated Management Org Box once they have the forms 133 and 337. 

• Like 1