TBAS test: May 2020
Interview & Selected as Alternate: Aug 2020
TBAS retake: April 2021
AFOQT retake: March 2021
Interview & hired: July 2021
Submitted request to FC1: Oct 2021
Received FC1 Date: Nov 2021
FC1: 18 Jan 2022

Congrats on landing the FC1! DM me if you have any specific questions about that process. I passed mine in April so I’m sorta fresh.
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Ad_Astra said:

Can someone tell me what happens to a guard pilot who fails or drops out of UPT? I've been hired to fly KC-135's and won't start UPT until late next year. I currently fly for United. I love the idea of flying heavys part time in the Guard and am glad I got selected. My only concern is if something happens in UPT and I can't fly anymore. Will I have to do some random job for the remaining 10 year commitment? Or would I just go back to my job at United. My only fear is somehow I'm going to have to be forced to do a job and not go back to United. Thanks. And as for the timeline

Hired June 2020

UPT: July 2022

The anecdotal evidence is that you might just get to walk away if you’re a part-timer and fail out of UPT/don’t end up with your hired position. @OptFire is right about actually signing papers and incurring a smaller commitment for OTS, but I haven’t really heard of them enforcing it if you bomb out of UPT. More stories of folks that WANT to stay Mil and just change into Maintenance or Intel or something if they fail out over them forcing you to change careers/fulfill the service commitment. 

@Hopefulflyer389 is also spot on that you don’t owe 10 years until you get wings slapped on your chest at the end of UPT. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, FDNYOldGuy said:

The anecdotal evidence is that you might just get to walk away if you’re a part-timer and fail out of UPT/don’t end up with your hired position. @OptFire is right about actually signing papers and incurring a smaller commitment for OTS, but I haven’t really heard of them enforcing it if you bomb out of UPT. More stories of folks that WANT to stay Mil and just change into Maintenance or Intel or something if they fail out over them forcing you to change careers/fulfill the service commitment. 

@Hopefulflyer389 is also spot on that you don’t owe 10 years until you get wings slapped on your chest at the end of UPT. 

So to that end, with 2.5 since you get wings at the end of T6 now (correct me if I'm wrong) does that commitment still start at winging, or at the end of UPT? Unless end of T6 is considered end of UPT now at the 2.5 bases. 

1 hour ago, ryleypav said:

does that commitment still start at winging, or at the end of UPT?

Good question and I have no clue. It was previously the date of graduation/you getting your rated Aeronautical Orders. Since they’re giving wings early (I don’t know if that’s when they publish AO’s now or if it’s still UPT complete. I am guessing the point previously was you started the clock the moment you were “usable” to the AF. Theoretically, you could be a FAIP at the end of T6 only/getting wings, so maybe that’s when it starts?

I'm currently in UPT 2.5, and have talked to a few people who were Guard fighter selects that did not track 38s.  They got their wings still, since it happens after the T6 phase completes, and they are now kinda scrambling to find another Guard (non-fighter) squadron to take them.  It's in line with the new "universally assignable" mentality that big blue is pushing for with getting winged after T6s.  As I've understood it, your service commitment is firm after getting winged, regardless of 2.5 or not, and regardless of whether you track the airframe you were originally hired for in the process of getting winged.

Edited by FOX3
spelling (is hard)

I'm currently in UPT 2.5, and have talked to a few people who were Guard fighter selects that did not track 38s.  They got their wings still, since it happens after the T6 phase completes, and they are now kinda scrambling to find another Guard (non-fighter) squadron to take them.  It's in line with the new "universally assignable" mentality that big blue is pushing for with getting winged after T6s.  As I've understood it, your service commitment is firm after getting winged, regardless of 2.5 or not, and regardless of whether you track the airframe you were originally hired for in the process of getting winged.

Are you saying that even guard guys can end up on a platform other than the one they were selected for?

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app

6 minutes ago, flying_pig said:

Are you saying that even guard guys can end up on a platform other than the one they were selected for?

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app

Yes to my knowledge three things could happen as a guard guy: 

1.you make fighter grades and fly fighters

2. you don’t make fighter grades but you still pass the t6 phase and are winged. Now you are looking for a new non fighter outfit.

3. You fail t6 phase and you are done. Not sure what the AF will do with you.

also fwiw if you are selected at a particular guard unit, the AF could assign a new aircraft to that unit and now you are flying something different than you were originally selected for.

On 11/5/2021 at 8:59 AM, ryleypav said:

So to that end, with 2.5 since you get wings at the end of T6 now (correct me if I'm wrong) does that commitment still start at winging, or at the end of UPT? Unless end of T6 is considered end of UPT now at the 2.5 bases. 

Commitment starts with wings after T-6s

On 11/6/2021 at 2:07 PM, Johntsunami said:

Commitment starts with wings after T-6s

So we're solving our experience problems by starting the commitment clock before folks finish UPT?

What a very USAF solution. 

Edited by pawnman
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, pawnman said:

So we're solving our experience pricked by starting the commitment clock before folks finish UPT?

What a very USAF solution. 

The best part of this is the AF doesn’t realize they’ve done these dudes a solid by enabling them to punch to the guard/airlines sooner than past counterparts. Genius. 

• Like 4

Curious if anyone knows the answer to this: does the AFRC UPT board require a PPL for approval? I’ve been sponsored by a unit, FC1 complete, etc the whole nine yards- but I don’t have a PPL yet. My recruiter is making me nervous that I won’t get picked up during the Jan board.

any insight would be appreciated… oh and since I’m here

AFOQT: Feb 2021

TBAS: Feb 2021

FC1: Sep 2021

Interviewed and accepted: Oct 2021

AFRC UPT Board: hopefully Jan??

UPT: ???

The best part of this is the AF doesn’t realize they’ve done these dudes a solid by enabling them to punch to the guard/airlines sooner than past counterparts. Genius. 

Yeah, but it’s probably only about a 3ish month difference for the heavy guys given that MAF fundamentals is substantially shorter than Phase 3 was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/9/2021 at 9:43 PM, CaptainMorgan said:

Yeah, but it’s probably only about a 3ish month difference for the heavy guys given that MAF fundamentals is substantially shorter than Phase 3 was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, even funnier is that UPT 2.5 takes longer than 2.0. More hours and training requirements in both T-1 and T-38 tracks. I guess they produce unqualified pilots faster, but don’t push them through the bad any faster than legacy syllabi. At least we get more hours 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 7:29 PM, DingBat said:

Curious if anyone knows the answer to this: does the AFRC UPT board require a PPL for approval? I’ve been sponsored by a unit, FC1 complete, etc the whole nine yards- but I don’t have a PPL yet. My recruiter is making me nervous that I won’t get picked up during the Jan board.

See: https://afreserve.com/downloads/AFRC_UFT_Guidebook.pdf

If you don't have your private pilot certificate it looks like you'll attend Initial Flying Training before you attend Undergraduate Pilot Training. You've already been accepted by a unit. Relax. 👍

On 10/25/2021 at 9:21 AM, UPTapplicant96 said:

Does anyone here know the length of time it typically takes to hear from WPAFB for FC1 Physical requests? My recruiter sent out my FC1 request forms a few weeks ago. When you received your FC1 dates, how far in advanced were you scheduled? I heard 2-3 weeks is standard.

Took about a month I think.

• Upvote 1

On 10/25/2021 at 9:21 AM, UPTapplicant96 said:

Does anyone here know the length of time it typically takes to hear from WPAFB for FC1 Physical requests? My recruiter sent out my FC1 request forms a few weeks ago. When you received your FC1 dates, how far in advanced were you scheduled? I heard 2-3 weeks is standard.

Received notification 21 December and my FC1 date was 9 February.

• Upvote 1

On 11/9/2021 at 5:29 PM, DingBat said:

Dude you’ll be fine. It would be another story if you were unsponsored. I had 0 manned hours when I was picked up.

• 2 weeks later...

Doubt anyone is in the same situation but you never know:

Prior AD/O3/PPL

AFOQT/TBAS: June 2019

FC1: August 2019

Guard

Board: Hired August 2020 

Separated AD: 1 Aug 2021

NGB Packet Submitted: November 2021

UPT: TBD

Does anyone have an idea of how the NGB processes work? Do our packets meet a board? When are the number of training slots assigned? Are they distributed alphabetically by state? Does anyone have a contact? I'm totally in the dark on everything.

Somewhat encouraging; NGB did guarantee our squadron a 1 month turn around on CSO dates assuming they receive everything the packet requires. Suggest you follow up with your recruiters just to make sure you don't play the back and forth game.

Edited by pvbell

• 5 weeks later...

Off the street hire at a Guard Tanker Unit.

January 2022 Update: UPT Dates Finally!

AFOQT/TBAS: July 2016

Board: November 2019

Hired:  November 2019

MEPS: Passed April 2020 amid the 'rona outbreak. 

Enlistment: June 2020.

FC1: September 29, 2020

FC1 Stamped Approved: November 2020

NGB approval: March 2021

OTS: August 2021

UPT: March 2022 - March 2023, Laughlin AFB, TX.  Looks like its still UPT 2.0 from how my TLN is coded. 

FTU: ???

• Like 2

Off the street guard, non prior

Board/hired: Jan 2021

Swear in: March 2021 (already had MEPS complete before the board, long story)

FC1: August 2021

Package sent to state HQ & NGB: December 2021

Just waiting on dates now. Anybody else have an idea on timelines? Playing the game lining up my spot in the process with other timelines to try and get some idea as to when OTS & UPT might happen.