Guard/Reserve timeline to UPT

Guest SuiSideburns

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, UPTapplicant96 said:

Question for some of you guys that have been through MEPS and have completed their FC1...

I was hired off the street at a guard unit and was notified the following:

"We are going to try to streamline your processing by skipping MEPS and sending you right out to get your FC1"

Has anybody had any experience with getting their FC1 completed right off the bat? I assume this will get me TFOT and UPT dates sooner than later (If I pass the FC1)?

Might as well start my timeline while I'm here:

Application submitted: May 2020

Interview: 1 Aug 2020 

Alternate Select: 4 Aug 2020

Re-interviewed w/ same unit: 10 July 2021

Hired: 10 July 2021

I followed the traditional process and although I don't see any downside with having you get sent to FC1 first I can think of a few reasons why that's not normally done in the grand scheme, and why I don't think it necessarily streamlines the process by that much. FC1/MFS slots are much more limited in terms of how many people they're able to see relative to MEPS. MEPS is intended to be an initial screening, so the thought is if you don't pass something at MEPS and cannot join the military at all, sending you to Wright Patt without that knowledge generates a lot of waste.

MEPS is usually not the long pole in the tent compared to FC1/MFS. So, that's why I say it won't streamline the process by that much because MEPS is something you can knock out relatively quickly unless that's not true for your local MEPS for whatever reason. It took me like a month since getting the call to go to MEPS (middle of COVID) and 2 months after that go to Wright Patt. So when you roll up the whole timeline, it doesn't change much IMO. Since you're guard, you still need to:

1) enlist into the unit (which requires getting the thumbs up from MEPS),

2) put together your approval to appoint (which requires the thumbs up from Wright Patt),

3) get approved by NGB for your slot, THEN you would be put in for dates.

Step 3 of the process is what takes the longest, from experiences of myself and others.

16 minutes ago, 1nfrequentF1yer said:

I followed the traditional process and although I don't see any downside with having you get sent to FC1 first I can think of a few reasons why that's not normally done in the grand scheme, and why I don't think it necessarily streamlines the process by that much. FC1/MFS slots are much more limited in terms of how many people they're able to see relative to MEPS. MEPS is intended to be an initial screening, so the thought is if you don't pass something at MEPS and cannot join the military at all, sending you to Wright Patt without that knowledge generates a lot of waste.

MEPS is usually not the long pole in the tent compared to FC1/MFS. So, that's why I say it won't streamline the process by that much because MEPS is something you can knock out relatively quickly unless that's not true for your local MEPS for whatever reason. It took me like a month since getting the call to go to MEPS (middle of COVID) and 2 months after that go to Wright Patt. So when you roll up the whole timeline, it doesn't change much IMO. Since you're guard, you still need to:

1) enlist into the unit (which requires getting the thumbs up from MEPS),

2) put together your approval to appoint (which requires the thumbs up from Wright Patt),

3) get approved by NGB for your slot, THEN you would be put in for dates.

Step 3 of the process is what takes the longest, from experiences of myself and others.

Thanks for sharing! Good to hear it from another point of view.

If it doesn't streamline the process by much like you mentioned, my only thought is:

By getting the FC1 completed 1st, the hiring unit will know sooner rather than later whether or not I am even medically qualified to fly for the USAF.

Honestly, I would prefer to know whether or not I will even pass the FC1...... I never had any surgeries or major medical history that I imagine disqualifying me (or requiring a waiver) but I do know that the docs at Wright Patt will tell you all things wrong with yourself that you didn't know you had haha

My hiring unit has a low percentage of primary selects making it passed the FC1. Maybe that is why we are going this route.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, UPTapplicant96 said:

Thanks for sharing! Good to hear it from another point of view.

If it doesn't streamline the process by much like you mentioned, my only thought is:

By getting the FC1 completed 1st, the hiring unit will know sooner rather than later whether or not I am even medically qualified to fly for the USAF.

Honestly, I would prefer to know whether or not I will even pass the FC1...... I never had any surgeries or major medical history that I imagine disqualifying me (or requiring a waiver) but I do know that the docs at Wright Patt will tell you all things wrong with yourself that you didn't know you had haha

My hiring unit has a low percentage of primary selects making it passed the FC1. Maybe that is why we are going this route.

Absolutely, that's why the takeaway I was trying to convey is that I don't see a downside on your behalf to get it done first (and as a matter of fact if that or anything else they let you knock out, do it at the earliest opportunity), but also not to expect that to speed up the whole process to OTS and UPT by any meaningful measures. Also, if you see your doctor regularly, and don't have any medical history, anecdotally you'll make it through just fine.

• Upvote 1

Timeline Update:

• Hired off the street guard fighter: AUG2020
  • MEPS 1.0: FEB2021
  • MEPS 2.0 (consult): MAR2021
  • Cond. Enlistment: JUN2021
  • FC1: 06JUL2021
  • FC1 approval stamp/pucker factor going way down: TBD

The people at WP are awesome. Hopefully the Gods of the FC1 stamp that FC1 soon. They told me everything went well but I’m not trying to celebrate at the 5 yrd line.

Also as a PSA, if you only suspect that you have had covid (i.e. not on your record) then it would be in ones best interest to not write down that you have had it on the medical forms you fill out prior to the FC1— they have to run 4 EXTRA tests on you if you report that you have previously had covid (PFT, 1hr EKG, 24 hr ecg, 6 min walking test). If you are healthy the addition tests should be a non-issue, but why have them take the deeper dive into your innards if they don’t need to? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/17/2020 at 11:21 AM, FOX3 said:

Figured I'd post here as therapy during this lovely hurry-up-and-wait game!  I hope you all are doing well during these crazy times!

Hired off the street for a Guard fighter squadron.

EDITED for updates.

AFOQT/TBAS: December 2018

UPT Board: May 2019 (selected as alternate)

Alternate to primary: got the call for the big leagues February 2020.

MEPS completed and signed off: May 2020

Enlisted and gained by the unit: June - July 2020

NGB approval for FC1 and OTS: 01 Dec 2020

FC1: 09 Feb 2021

OTS: Class 21-04 starting 06 Apr 2021

IFT: ???

UPT: ???

IFF: ???

FTU: ???

Stay safe out there!

Bit of an update after a couple busy months.  Just got my Training RIP for UPT right as I was finishing up IFT!

AFOQT/TBAS: December 2018

UPT Board: May 2019 (selected as alternate)

Alternate to primary: got the call for the big leagues February 2020.

MEPS completed and signed off: May 2020

Enlisted and gained by the unit: June - July 2020

NGB approval for FC1 and OTS: 01 Dec 2020

FC1: 09 Feb 2021

OTS: 06 Apr 2021 - 28 May 2021 (Class 21-04)

IFT: 7 July 2021 - 13 Aug 2021 (Class 21-16)

UPT: UPT 2.5 at Vance AFB

T-6 Phase: 1 Nov 2021 - 17 Jun 2022

T-38 Phase: 20 Jun 2022 - 05 Jan 2023

IFF: ???

Feel free to hit me up with any questions about the training pipeline up to UPT!  Happy to help where I can. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 2:47 PM, ryleypav said:

Off the street hire at a Guard Tanker Unit.

May 2021 Update: inching closer. again....again......almost there.

AFOQT/TBAS: July 2016

Board: November 2019

Hired:  November 2019

MEPS: Passed April 2020 amid the 'rona outbreak. 

Enlistment: June 2020.

FC1: September 29, 2020

FC1 Stamped Approved: November 2020

NGB approval: March 2021

OTS: August 2021

UPT: ???

Can I ask why the long break in time between your AFOQT/TBAS and your board? Multiple applications? Or did you just wait for a particular unit? I'm 25, taking my AFOQT and TBAS after I graduate this October.

On 8/31/2021 at 2:42 PM, flying_pig said:

Can I ask why the long break in time between your AFOQT/TBAS and your board? Multiple applications? Or did you just wait for a particular unit? I'm 25, taking my AFOQT and TBAS after I graduate this October.

I boarded three times, applied four times. The date I have listed here was the board I got hired on. I started taking the tests while I was still in college, and didnt board for the first time until 2017 if I remember correctly. 

On 9/3/2021 at 9:47 AM, ryleypav said:

I boarded three times, applied four times. The date I have listed here was the board I got hired on. I started taking the tests while I was still in college, and didnt board for the first time until 2017 if I remember correctly. 

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply, and congrats to you.

Hi all,

I have recently found this website while researching the USAF Reserve. I’m interested in becoming a pilot, as I have already a SEL cert with instrument endorsement. I’m 30 years old (waiver?) with a bachelors in engineering degree located in Texas. 

Any advice of how/where to apply? Is there a demand for pilots, or are they turning down applicants?

Hi all,
I have recently found this website while researching the USAF Reserve. I’m interested in becoming a pilot, as I have already a SEL cert with instrument endorsement. I’m 30 years old (waiver?) with a bachelors in engineering degree located in Texas. 

Any advice of how/where to apply? Is there a demand for pilots, or are they turning down applicants?

Welcome to the hiring process! Get ready for a lot of waiting and watching while the National Guard Bureau use your officer packet as a door mat.

First things first though, head on over to the “Upcoming Boards” thread to meet other candidates in your same position. Come back to this thread after you get a slot for questions/comments about the timeline. Also check out BogiDope.com for upcoming board dates and start applying.

If you have any more specific questions about the hiring process or the pilot pipeline feel free to DM me. I’m an off the street guard hire so I can’t provide too much info on the reserve side, however I’m sure there’s someone on this thread who can help.

Good luck bro!

Hired: Guard Fighter. Might as well add my timeline to the list.

AFOQT/TBAS: March 2020

UPT Board: Sept 2020 (selected as alternate)

MEPS completed via AD App (Jan. 2021)

Alternate to primary: called up June 2021.

Enlisted and gained by the unit: July 2021

Primary select by different Guard unit: Turned down. Sticking with 1st offer: Sept 2021. 

FC1: Oct. 2021

OTS: ?

UPT: ?

I’m just going to skip to the important stuff.

Offered flying job: Feb 2021

MEPS: March 2021

FC Medical: April 2021

Doc approval: May 2021 

Package sent to NGB: July 2021

Package approval:???

For the most part my journey has been largely pain free, but now at the last stretch before getting approved by the NGB (and finally getting my TFOT dates) my packet has been collecting dust for some reason. I had my recruiter reach out and she said that it is under review as of 09 SEPT. First off, what has my package been doing between July and September all this time? What is the typical review time? How long do they need to determine if a candidate is a Yay or Nay? Does this delay have anything to do with the new FY coming up? ie full stop of all work until October? This wait time is killing me! 

Final Timeline, I'm a worst case scenario due to Covid/AFRC Board backups. 2 years from hire till ots.

Hired (Heavy Reserve): Oct 2019

MEPS: Dec 2019

FCI: June 2020

AFRC UPT Board: Jan 2021

OTS: Oct 2021

UPT: Feb 2022 @ Laughlin 

Good luck to anyone waiting and if anyone is going to Laughlin let me know!

Edited by OptFire
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Active duty enlisted aircrew just got picked up for heavies in the guard 

UPT Board: October 17th 

Hired: October 19th 

FC1: ?

OTS: ?

UPT: ?

My unit wants to send me to get my FC1 done as soon as possible. Hoping it’s a breeze since I currently hold an FC3 

Another update for those who are interested. I've had an incredibly rewarding experience so far. Lots of work, but lots of fun.

Civilian to Guard fighter squadron:

----

Board: Dec 2 2018

Selection notification: Same Day

MEPS: January 2019

Sworn In: February 2019

FC1: May 2019

NGB Packet Approved: End of June 2019

TFOT: notified in August for 15 October class date, finished TFOT December of 2019, no UPT dates during TFOT

UPT: notified in Jan 2019 for April UPT at Columbus, delayed until May due to coronavirus, start June 2019, track 38s in November 2019, start 38s January of 2021, graduate July 2021

IFF: August 2021 - October 2021

---- 

B-Course: November 2021 - July 2022 (scheduled)

SERE: July 2022 - August 2022 (scheduled)

• Like 1

Does anyone here know the length of time it typically takes to hear from WPAFB for FC1 Physical requests? My recruiter sent out my FC1 request forms a few weeks ago. When you received your FC1 dates, how far in advanced were you scheduled? I heard 2-3 weeks is standard.

I can say that mine took just over a month to be scheduled. Then, like you said, I got about 3 weeks notice.
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone tell me what happens to a guard pilot who fails or drops out of UPT? I've been hired to fly KC-135's and won't start UPT until late next year. I currently fly for United. I love the idea of flying heavys part time in the Guard and am glad I got selected. My only concern is if something happens in UPT and I can't fly anymore. Will I have to do some random job for the remaining 10 year commitment? Or would I just go back to my job at United. My only fear is somehow I'm going to have to be forced to do a job and not go back to United. Thanks. And as for the timeline

Hired June 2020

UPT: July 2022

1 hour ago, Ad_Astra said:

Can someone tell me what happens to a guard pilot who fails or drops out of UPT? I've been hired to fly KC-135's and won't start UPT until late next year. I currently fly for United. I love the idea of flying heavys part time in the Guard and am glad I got selected. My only concern is if something happens in UPT and I can't fly anymore. Will I have to do some random job for the remaining 10 year commitment? Or would I just go back to my job at United. My only fear is somehow I'm going to have to be forced to do a job and not go back to United. Thanks. And as for the timeline

Hired June 2020

UPT: July 2022

Your 10 year commitment doesn’t start until the day you put wings on your chest. 

2 hours ago, Hopefulflyer389 said:

Your 10 year commitment doesn’t start until the day you put wings on your chest. 

Commissioning through OTS has its own service commitment though. We were told by the reserves if you wash out of UPT you potentially owe your sponsoring 2 years.