Guard/Reserve timeline to UPT

Guest SuiSideburns

Hi all- the recruiter handling my enlistment passed some timeline info along and I wanted to see if that checked with others in similar situations. I finished MEPs in December and my unit's medical group now has my MEPs packet. Recruiter said the packet has to go through SAS (?), then through the wing, and then up to the ATAG and then the NGB prior to enlisting/ getting FC1 dates. Any rough estimates on how long that should take? Mucho comprendo that the whole process is lengthy, delayed, and frustratingly long: just want an idea how how long is acceptable before knocking on doors to keep things moving. Cheers

6 hours ago, buscruncher22 said:

Hi all- the recruiter handling my enlistment passed some timeline info along and I wanted to see if that checked with others in similar situations. I finished MEPs in December and my unit's medical group now has my MEPs packet. Recruiter said the packet has to go through SAS (?), then through the wing, and then up to the ATAG and then the NGB prior to enlisting/ getting FC1 dates. Any rough estimates on how long that should take? Mucho comprendo that the whole process is lengthy, delayed, and frustratingly long: just want an idea how how long is acceptable before knocking on doors to keep things moving. Cheers

Do you love hearing the statement "it all depends". If your recruiter has all the proper paperwork settled when it hits Joint Force HQ of your state, it will get get checked over for accuracy there, any missing items will be figured out there. NGB gets 7 slots for FC1/2/3 at Wright Patterson per week.

Once it hits NGB, it could be quick or slow depending on what state your from as there is an analyst assigned for certain regions, so all depends on how busy they already are.

On 1/31/2021 at 8:48 PM, RPApilotSelectMSgt said:

Do you love hearing the statement "it all depends". If your recruiter has all the proper paperwork settled when it hits Joint Force HQ of your state, it will get get checked over for accuracy there, any missing items will be figured out there. NGB gets 7 slots for FC1/2/3 at Wright Patterson per week.

Once it hits NGB, it could be quick or slow depending on what state your from as there is an analyst assigned for certain regions, so all depends on how busy they already are.

I appreciate it! 

• 3 weeks later...

Just putting my timeline in for reference to the Guard process...

AFOQT: Sep 2017

Pilot: 92

PCSM: 77 (41 flight hours) 

Hired: Nov 2018

MEPS: Apr 2019

Enlistment: Jul 2019

FC1: Oct 2019

OTS: Aug 2020

SERE: Mar 2021

UPT: May 2021

In regards to current COVID ops, they have been postponing some guard UPT slots that were already assigned. At my unit, there were 3 of us going through the process together and the other 2 got postponed until potentially spring 2022. 

Keep checking on your packet and your next training orders throughout the entire process. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, glockenspiel said:

Update on the ol' timeline for guard fighter squadron:

Hired: AUG 2020

MEPS: FEB 2020

ENLISTMENT: ?

FC1: ?

OTS: ? 

UPT: ? 

Hope I'm not in an old folks home by the time I get to UPT. Hurry up and wait I guess.

Just an fyi to hopefully help speed things along, you're recruiter is most certainly able to send up your package to NGB to get OTS dates, without your FC1 being done or approved. You'll have to send the FC1 up after its approved, but if they say they need the FC1 to get your officer selection package up and approved, that's not true. Trust me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, ryleypav said:

Just an fyi to hopefully help speed things along, you're recruiter is most certainly able to send up your package to NGB to get OTS dates, without your FC1 being done or approved. You'll have to send the FC1 up after its approved, but if they say they need the FC1 to get your officer selection package up and approved, that's not true. Trust me. 

Gotcha. Yes any advice that has helped other dudes get through and/or speed up the process is very welcome here. Thanks pav!

4 hours ago, ryleypav said:

Good stuff. You got any tricks/tips for the Reserves route?

• Like 1

Finally was fortunate enough to get picked up off the street for a fighter unit in the fall, starting my own timeline:

Hired: Aug 2020

MEPS: Dec 2020 (initial processing was delayed due to miscommunication on COVID protocols, had to go back for a vision consult in Jan 2021 which required a waiver)

Enlistment: Feb 2021

UPT:? 

Good luck to everyone out there, COVID certainly isn't making anything easier. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 12:45 PM, Desk Jobs Suck said:

Has anyone found any other avenue on communicating where your package is in this process besides your recruiter? 

You're recruiter is typically the go to for this, but you can check with pilots in your squadron to see if they know anyone who can get answers. The AF is small enough that someone usually knows someone. 

On 2/19/2021 at 6:20 PM, RocketDriver said:

Finally was fortunate enough to get picked up off the street for a fighter unit in the fall, starting my own timeline:

Hired: Aug 2020

MEPS: Dec 2020 (initial processing was delayed due to miscommunication on COVID protocols, had to go back for a vision consult in Jan 2021 which required a waiver)

Enlistment: Feb 2021

UPT:? 

Good luck to everyone out there, COVID certainly isn't making anything easier. 

Ask you're recruiter to get the officer selection package going as soon as you can lol. See about about not needing the FC1 done yet. Hopefully it'll get you some OTS days faster. Congrats!

14 hours ago, Yeeyee said:

For the reserve peeps, or anyone with the knowledge, what steps are taken after your FC1 gets stamped, all the way to OTS? I do know something about a reserve board you must apply too, but I'm wondering what paperwork/timeline looks like

Going off of memory from 2.5 years ago, but:

-Reserve Board (been very tough this year, it seems, so expect delays)

-Swear in (this is your military career “start date,” even if you don’t begin getting paid/drilling until later)

-Gained by 340 FTG (you should not be gained by, or drilling with, your sponsoring unit as a Reservist, which is different than Guard)

-Get your paperwork squared with them. They’ll get you signed up with the OTS people and the OTS folks will email you CBTs (computer based training) to do before OTS. 

-About 2-4 weeks before your OTS dates, they will fly you to Randolph for a week of Inprocessing to get you spun up for OTS (signed up for things, Mil email, CAC, etc). This is when you’ll get your OTS/SERE/UPT dates and training base. You’ll be paid for the week and they’ll pay for you to fly down. It’s in civvy clothes for non prior service; priors will wear uniforms and chaperone non-priors.

-OTS start and pipeline begin. OTS is always first, but SERE could be before or after UPT, depending on scheduling. They probably won’t give PIQ dates at this time, due to always changing UPT schedules. You’ll be on orders/getting paid solidly with no breaks in orders or pay for 2+ years from that point.

Think that’s what the order was, IIRC. YMMV. 

6 minutes ago, Terminator5 said:

Gonna migrate the conversation over to this topic. @FOX3 Were u guard or reserve? And what’s ur timeline look like? I’m assuming u enlisted/got gained by the unit before u dropped OTS dates? But anyways congrats!

Hey thanks a lot!  I'm Guard, and yes I enlisted and was gained by my unit well before dropping OTS dates.  My timeline post is actually in this topic here.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 10:57 AM, mightymighty said:

Completed Timeline

Guard/Fighter - Non-Prior

Hired: March '19

MEPS/Enlistment: June '19

FC1: October '19 (Failed)

FC1 Re-Test: December '19 (Passed)

FC1 Stamped Approved: December '19

FC1 Received by Unit: January '19

TFOT: August '20

UPT: June '21 Vance

Guard off the street heavy

Applied: Jan 2020

Board/Hired: May 2020

MEPS/Enlisted: July 2020

FC1: Mid Oct 2020

FC1 Approved (with eye related waiver): First week of Dec 2020

Packet completed, send to JFHQ/NGB: JFHQ mid Dec 2020, NGB late Dec 2020

NGB Approved: last week of Feb 2021 and put in request for TFOT

TFOT: Aug 2021

UPT: 

Edited by 1nfrequentF1yer

On 2/19/2021 at 10:18 AM, ryleypav said:

Does anyone know of a reason a unit would delay sending someone to wright pat? I went to meps in june same as @ryleypav, package sent to NGB in october but still no word on going for the FC1. My DO was saying they were shooting for an end of the summer OTS date with UPT in FY22 so I would think we should be getting it knocked out.

Does anyone know of a reason a unit would delay sending someone to wright pat? I went to meps in june same as@ryleypav, package sent to NGB in october but still no word on going for the FC1. My DO was saying they were shooting for an end of the summer OTS date with UPT in FY22 so I would think we should be getting it knocked out.

If I was in your shoes, I would try to get that done as soon as possible. Less things you have to get done before training, the better!

On 3/4/2021 at 12:04 PM, TotableMink said:

Does anyone know of a reason a unit would delay sending someone to wright pat? I went to meps in june same as @ryleypav, package sent to NGB in october but still no word on going for the FC1. My DO was saying they were shooting for an end of the summer OTS date with UPT in FY22 so I would think we should be getting it knocked out.

Has your base training office (FDO) requested an appointment for your FC1? The way I understand the process is that Wright Patt "gives" so many slots to NGB (assuming you're guard), and NGB magically gives you a slot. But your FDO has to add you to the queue. If they have, then I would ask them what the situation there is. If they haven't, then you should ask/have your recruiter ask/have your DO ask/have your Sq/CC ask them to do it ASAP.