Guard/Reserve timeline to UPT

Guest SuiSideburns

Hi all-

Long time lurker but got picked up off the street at a ANG fighter unit a few months ago and was curious to see if anyone is in the same situation I'm in- my contacts are just slightly out of FC1 limits (-3.25 both eyes) so it looks like I'll have to get LASIK/PRK. I'm working with my unit's flight doc regarding timeline of surgery + going to MEPS and Wright Pat. Anyone had a similar timeline or experience of getting hired at a unit and then needing eye surgery? Trying to work the 6 month wait time prior to FC1 in since it's projected that I wouldn't even head to OTS until sometime 12-14 months down the road. Thanks!

AFOQT/TBAS: June 2020

Board: Fall 2020

Hired:   Fall 2020 

MEPS: Scheduled Jan 2021

Enlistment: ??? 

FC1: ???

FC1 Stamped Approved: ???

OTS: ??? 

UPT: ???

FTU: ???

On 12/3/2020 at 12:36 PM, OptFire said:

I was unfortunately just told by my squadron that my packet won't be sent to AFRC boards for the time being because my PCSM is too low for the abysmal selection rates. I still have my job offer so I'm not totally defeated, but feeling really bummed out right now. I'm guessing I should retake the AFOQT/TBAS since I have one more attempt on each. Is it even possible to take these tests right now? 

The whole person concept still applies but it pays to have a high PCSM score. 

Why aren't they sending your packet in? I'm pretty sure the minimum PCSM to board is a 70. Not only that, but I heard that they are getting 96 AFRC slots for this year. I would try to put in for the board and make AFRC tell you no.

On 12/20/2020 at 6:53 PM, buscruncher22 said:

Hi all-

Long time lurker but got picked up off the street at a ANG fighter unit a few months ago and was curious to see if anyone is in the same situation I'm in- my contacts are just slightly out of FC1 limits (-3.25 both eyes) so it looks like I'll have to get LASIK/PRK. I'm working with my unit's flight doc regarding timeline of surgery + going to MEPS and Wright Pat. Anyone had a similar timeline or experience of getting hired at a unit and then needing eye surgery? Trying to work the 6 month wait time prior to FC1 in since it's projected that I wouldn't even head to OTS until sometime 12-14 months down the road. Thanks!

Not sure how it works when you already were picked up but I had PRK a long time ago and can't emphasize enough just finding a good doctor, sticking with the eye drop regimen religiously.  If you're hired do you have to go to a USAF physician to get it done or is it still on your dime to find a surgeon yourself?  

2 hours ago, tarheelaviator said:

Not sure how it works when you already were picked up but I had PRK a long time ago and can't emphasize enough just finding a good doctor, sticking with the eye drop regimen religiously.  If you're hired do you have to go to a USAF physician to get it done or is it still on your dime to find a surgeon yourself?  

Not sure- I'd assume it's still on my own dime until I'm able to swear in.. which from my understanding is somewhere between MEPS and FC1 or directly after FC1 assuming the NGB approves the paperwork. At this point I'm just stoked to have a slot, but it seems like it'll be a while before OTS and that's without the added time of the PRK wait times.

On 12/23/2020 at 10:45 AM, cowdog said:

Why aren't they sending your packet in? I'm pretty sure the minimum PCSM to board is a 70. Not only that, but I heard that they are getting 96 AFRC slots for this year. I would try to put in for the board and make AFRC tell you no.

Where did you get this info from regarding the 96 AFRC slots?

On 12/20/2020 at 6:53 PM, buscruncher22 said:

Hi all-

AFOQT/TBAS: June 2020

Board: Fall 2020

Hired:   Fall 2020 

MEPS: Scheduled Jan 2021

Enlistment: ??? 

FC1: ???

FC1 Stamped Approved: ???

FTU: ???

Unless your eyes get worse, you more than likely will meet the standard of -3.00 if you are wearing -3.25 contacts.  It has to do with the way the measurement is made (using drops to relax the focusing muscles and stopping when you can read 20/20 not when the letters are perfect, i.e. 20/15 or 20/10).  Obviously PRK or LASIK is an option if you want to avoid all chances of busting, but you'd probably be OK as is.

3 hours ago, JabroniWizard said:

Just a friendly reminder to anyone who hasn’t gone to MEPS yet, DO NOT (and I can’t emphasize this enough) DISCLOSE ANYTHING. They will try and pressure you with some honesty and integrity bs but don’t buy it. It is there job to disqualify, NOT qualify.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

I think you need to clarify ANYTHING. I’m all for not shooting yourself in the foot, but I had a good friend of mine who took this advice a little to literally and didn’t disclose a couple sports surgeries he probably could have simply gotten a waiver for and the docs found the scars on the body examination and he got DQ’d and barred from service. 

• Like 1

I think you need to clarify ANYTHING. I’m all for not shooting yourself in the foot, but I had a good friend of mine who took this advice a little to literally and didn’t disclose a couple sports surgeries he probably could have simply gotten a waiver for and the docs found the scars on the body examination and he got DQ’d and barred from service. 

Good point. That sucks for your friend. Scars are gonna be an obvious sign of surgery and easy for the docs to see, his recruiter failed him on that one if he told him not to disclose that.

I should clarify that you shouldn’t disclose anything that you don’t need to disclose. For example: If you had hemorrhoids years ago but they’re gone, don’t disclose. Stuff that isn’t relevant anymore but you feel the need to disclose for the sake of “honesty” is not worth your career. The docs and nurses there are not your friends, and they have control over the decision of letting you in. So don’t give them any reason not too.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JabroniWizard said:

Just a friendly reminder to anyone who hasn’t gone to MEPS yet, DO NOT (and I can’t emphasize this enough) DISCLOSE ANYTHING. They will try and pressure you with some honesty and integrity bs but don’t buy it. It is there job to disqualify, NOT qualify.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

This x100.  I disclosed something years ago that almost grenaded my chances.  Don't be stupid and lie about something they'll find (see surgery scar example above) but don't disclose anything that doesn't need to be said.  I eventually got a waiver that shouldn't have even been necessary but it costed me years of lost time (no joke).  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Guard non-prior here, just got done with FC1 without needing any waivers, so starting the AETC/NGB process:

Guard/ISR - Non-Prior

Hired: February 2020

MEPS/Enlistment: August 2020

FC1: January 2021

Package sent to NGB: ???

Hey everyone,
Guard non-prior here, just got done with FC1 without needing any waivers, so starting the AETC/NGB process:

Guard/ISR - Non-Prior

How was the FC1 process like during COVID?

13 hours ago, sideworth said:

Hey everyone,

Guard/ISR - Non-Prior

Make sure all your forms for the officer selection package are up to date, and filled out correctly. Make you recruiter double check them. And make sure you transcripts are addressed to your recruiter and not yourself. 

2 minutes ago, JabroniWizard said:

I went through in September, it wasn't too bad. Less technicians on site, so they couldn't do as many people at once on certain tests. Like for EKGs, they had one lady there doing them. Seemed fairly normal otherwise aside from having to wear masks everywhere. Critically inefficient. 

• Like 1

I went through in September, it wasn't too bad. Less technicians on site, so they couldn't do as many people at once on certain tests. Like for EKGs, they had one lady there doing them. Seemed fairly normal otherwise aside from having to wear masks everywhere. Critically inefficient. 

Right on. I bet it was a bit better than MEPS though I’m sure lol

4 hours ago, JabroniWizard said:

It was relatively straightforward. Like the other person said above, it was probably more limited in terms of people on site compared to a normal time. My group only had like 9 people in it. There was some pre-arrival COVID paperwork that you had to abide to, but in terms of the rest of processing I would say it's very similar to a normal FC1. If you had COVID at some point they do some more extensive testing on you, including:

• 2 hours of breathing into a machine to determine lung function/capacity
  • Echocardiogram, again takes about 2hrs
  • Wear a Holter Monitor for 24hrs, basically a portable EKG
  • Wear a portable pulse reader and walk around to get more readings

No one in my group had prior tested positive but this is what I heard from previous people who'd gone through after having it.

1 hour ago, JabroniWizard said:

Right on. I bet it was a bit better than MEPS though I’m sure lol

Yeah, way better than MEPS. Everyone at Wright Patt is there to help you succeed, not fail like at MEPS. Just be curteous and you'll receive the same back. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2020 at 3:36 PM, OptFire said:

I was unfortunately just told by my squadron that my packet won't be sent to AFRC boards for the time being because my PCSM is too low for the abysmal selection rates. I still have my job offer so I'm not totally defeated, but feeling really bummed out right now. I'm guessing I should retake the AFOQT/TBAS since I have one more attempt on each. Is it even possible to take these tests right now? 

The whole person concept still applies but it pays to have a high PCSM score. 

Turns out none of that mattered, I was selected by AFRC to go to UPT from this month's board. Go figure! I was told extra slots opened up from what they originally predicted. 

Timeline

Hired: Oct 2019

MEPS: January 2020

FC1: June 2020

AFRC Board: Jan 2021

OTS/UPT: Maybe Jan 2022? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OptFire said:

Turns out none of that mattered, I was selected by AFRC to go to UPT from this month's board. Go figure! I was told extra slots opened up from what they originally predicted. 

Timeline

If you don’t mind me asking what was your PCSM score? I’m waiting to hear on this board. Also Congrats!!

Edited by shimmysham

40 minutes ago, OptFire said:

Timeline

Congrats, great news!!!!

3 hours ago, OptFire said:

Timeline

How many overall selects did they end up having at this board?