Guard/Reserve timeline to UPT

Guest SuiSideburns

On 6/11/2019 at 4:29 PM, wannabe88 said:

I was picked up on the May reserves board and already have an IFC1 complete and have an MFS scheduled for mid July.(I didn’t do my IFC1 at Wright Patt)

Has anyone had any recent experience regarding how long it’ll take to get to OTS once that’s complete?

Congrats on getting through the board! You'll probably be in the next OTS classes, as long as your MFS goes off without a hitch and your medical is certified. That can take a month or two, which might delay your OTS, if you get bogged down. But, I think mid Oct is the beginning of FY20 classes, from something I remember seeing passed around, so you've got a little bit of cushion (but not much) built in for certification since you're going in mid-July. 

I was picked up in the Sept 2018 AFRC board (had my FC1 complete and certified before going to the board) and made the next batch of available OTS classes in Jan 2019 after that board. Your recruiter should be getting you sworn in soon and the 340th will gain you at some point in the next month or two, I'd guess. Then you'll head down to Randolph ~2 weeks before your OTS start date for a week of Inprocessing. You're in the Delayed Entry Program, so you won't be drilling or anything; just swearing in and waiting until they bring you down for Inpro before OTS.

Reach out to the 340th before too long to ensure your paperwork goes through properly and they gain you. My paperwork (1288 form, specifically) got a little screwed up from my recruiter and I ended up getting gained by my home unit, which is not supposed to happen; all Reservists go to the 340th FTG for the training pipeline, no matter who you're picked up by. So, there was some time burned getting that squared away, but it worked out in the end.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions along the way!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2019 at 6:20 PM, elvis said:

Prior enlisted Fighter Guard unit:

(Enlisted in the Unit hired by)

AFOQT/TBAS: Dec 2018

Board: February 2019

Hired:  March 2019

FC1: May 2019

OTS: Oct 2019 

(No IFT) 

SERE: ??

UPT: ?? (ENJJPT)

FTU:??

Updated for Oct TFOT. 

Edited by elvis
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2019 at 2:26 PM, elvis said:

Updated for Oct TFOT. 

Holy Crap @elvis. 7 months from hire to TFOT? That's insanely fast. Congrats!

When did you submit your appointment paperwork? Mine is submitted and the FC1 is approved, so I am just waiting on NGB to approve it and provide training dates.

11 hours ago, N730 said:

Holy Crap @elvis. 7 months from hire to TFOT? That's insanely fast. Congrats!

When did you submit your appointment paperwork? Mine is submitted and the FC1 is approved, so I am just waiting on NGB to approve it and provide training dates.

Thank ya! My recruiter sent it in about 3 weeks after I got picked up. She was my recruiter when I enlisted so she was on top of the ball for everything and super helpful. Not sure why or how everything moved so fast but I do know the high ups at my unit were wondering why it took so long for this process, maybe they made some phone calls, who knows. The last 3 pilots who got picked up at my unit took a year to leave, but they didn't get their paperwork in till a few months after they were picked. 

Civilian to Guard fighter squadron:

Board: Dec 2 2018

Selection notification: Same Day

MEPS: January 2019

Sworn In: February 2019

FC1: May 2019

NGB Packet Approved: End of June 2019

TFOT: notified in August for 15 October class date, finished TFOT December of 2019, no UPT dates during TFOT

UPT: notified in Jan 2019 for April UPT at Columbus, delayed until May due to coronavirus

Edited by Tarawa565
additional dates, coronavirus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Started as an enlisted Traditional Reservist. 

Guard CSO Board: May 2018

Notified: May 2018

Gained By Guard: September 2018

Reserve UPT board: September 2018 (good timing right?)

Notified: September 2018

FC1 Scheduled: January 2019

AFRC UFT Board: January 2019

Notified: January 2019

FC1: May 2019 (Need anthropomorphic waiver for exceeding 40' sitting height, was told I'd be track limited but I was hired by a C-130 unit so no big deal) 

FC1 pulled by AETC for certification: June 2019

Radio Silence: Now

Does AETC pulling my FC1 mean that a waiver was written by WP and it's just waiting on the SG to sign? Anyone have any recent experience with the timeline here? 

Figured I'd post my timeline for the Civilian to AFRC studs:

AFOQT/TBAS: July/Aug. 2018

Sponsored: Sept. 2018

MEPS: Jan. 2019

MFS/FC1: April 2019

AFRC Sponsored Board (submitted): May 2019

AFRC Board Results (hired/acquired): June 2019

OTS: Jan. 2020  **Could've been Oct. 2019, but pushed I it out. 

UPT: TBA

Understand my timeline is kind of unique, I had a recruiter (squared away professional) who help me from out of state, so I could've been done A LOT sooner. 

• Like 1

For all the reserve folks, has anyone received a UPT date recently from 340th? How long does it take to get a UPT date assuming you meet all the requirements (AFRC board, FC1, scroll)?

Nothing yet. According to my sponsoring unit, it’s a bit backed up. I spoke to my 340FTG admin and she said I’d have to double check with the pipeline manager. I can try and follow up tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

14 hours ago, Jetpower said:

For all the reserve folks, has anyone received a UPT date recently from 340th? How long does it take to get a UPT date assuming you meet all the requirements (AFRC board, FC1, scroll)?

My situation is somewhat unique since I'm already commissioned, but the 340th estimated assigning a date 1-1.5 months after the board results. My actual UPT class would be about three months after board results are out. 

52 minutes ago, Desk Jobs Suck said:

I noticed you got sponsored on the reserve side of the house and mentioned the 340th Fighter training squadron. Did you get picked up for the fighter side reserve if you don't mind me asking? Would you have any gouge on this?

340th FTG = 340th Flying Training Group. They manage the UFT pipeline for all the reserve candidates.

5 hours ago, Fly For a 62E said:

My situation is somewhat unique since I'm already commissioned, but the 340th estimated assigning a date 1-1.5 months after the board results. My actual UPT class would be about three months after board results are out. 

Nice, which branch are you in? Although I'm glad that we don't have to attend OTS, I'm curious to see how the AF OTS is compared to the Marine Corps OCS. Do you already have a separation date from your current branch? Nov 1st is my separation date but I may have to push it back so that I can minimize the gap of transition period.

Edited by Jetpower

21 hours ago, Jetpower said:

Reached out to the 340FTG and was told that there isn't any information on class dates since they are waiting on upper brass to give them the go ahead. So in the mean time... hurry up and wait. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Desk Jobs Suck said:

My b, I thought there was a reserve unit that you can get picked up to fly t38s or something.

All good. We are all in this together and can learn from each other. With that said, you have the option to instruct at UPT as a reservist (status may vary) after you gain some experience at your unit. The type of aircraft you get to instruct in (T-6, T-1, T-38) depends on your qualifications and background.  

https://www.340ftg.afrc.af.mil/AboutUs/Join.apsx/

3 minutes ago, Desk Jobs Suck said:

I think that's where I was mistaken. I thought there was a reserve t38 IP squadron or something. Got my thoughts all mixed up.

there may be, but i havent heard of anyone being hired for that role. thats probably more of a "after you have spent time at an operational squadron you can apply" kind of gig. im sure someone else may have better info.

15 minutes ago, iRobot said:

Reached out to the 340FTG and was told that there isn't any information on class dates since they are waiting on upper brass to give them the go ahead. So in the mean time... hurry up and wait. 

Thanks for the update. I'm not going to lie, I have already put on my Air Force hat (mentally) which is a dangerous thing to do as an active duty Marine....    :M16a2:    :airman::sniper:

Edited by Jetpower

It’s the blind leading the blind around here.  Reserve T-38s are for instructors in the 340th, spread around all the UPT bases and Randolph.  You (most generally) already are established in a major weapons system before you become an instructor in this unit.  I’ve heard of a very few (maybe 1) person getting hired with no experience to join the 340th.  Once in UPT you will be taught by these reserve Instructors when they are available but usually taught by active duty folks, there are way more of them.  The exception to all of this is the reserve T-38 red air bubbas, but they are not in the 340th.  Clear as mud?

edit:  the 340th also has T6 and T1 instructors.

Edited by matmacwc
  • Upvote 2