Guard/Reserve timeline to UPT

Guest SuiSideburns

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:30 AM, JustHangingOut said:

I finally get to contribute!

Interview   Dec 2017

Hired         Dec 2017

..and the paperwork begins...

It took me a long time just to get over this most recent big hurdle, but the paperwork saga continues.  Thanks again for everyone's support and advice throughout the process.

Interview: 02 Dec 2017

Hired: 03 Dec 2017

DD Form 368 signed by State J1 and submitted to NGB: 06 May 2018

(update)

Transfer Packet kicked back from NGB for wording and resubmitted: 24 July 2018

Flight Physical Scheduled 06 Aug 2018

Edited by JustHangingOut

I’ll put my progress out for reference.

Interview - Sept 2016

MEPS - Oct 2017

Swear in - Jan 2018

FC1 - May 2018

Package sent to NGB - May 2018

A question to the masses... has anyone been able to get OTS dates (as in a date assigned) prior to having your FC1 stamped off? Or is it a mandatory that it needs to be approved prior to NGB handing out OTS/UPT dates?

On 5/8/2018 at 11:46 AM, PilotPitts said:

A question to the masses... has anyone been able to get OTS dates (as in a date assigned) prior to having your FC1 stamped off? Or is it a mandatory that it needs to be approved prior to NGB handing out OTS/UPT dates?

I was not able to get OTS dates until the FC1 was stamped. They also had to wait for NGB to approve everything which took place after the FC1. I don't have a reg to back that up but that's just what I experienced. If it helps: FC1 in October 2017, OTS in January 2018 (They originally gave me a March OTS date but I got it moved up).

11 minutes ago, cowdog said:

After we go to MEPS and swear in, can we start drilling with the unit while we wait a year for everything else to fall into place? 

Yes! I started going to drill right away. Make sure you get in contact/set up with student flight and then talk to your pilot POC and ask about who you should report to on drill weekends. My unit had me check in with student flight and then I went straight to ops and was with the pilots/ops support group when the pilots were in meetings/sent out on errands (aka get beer/alcohol/food) 

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:46 PM, PilotPitts said:

You can have all your paperwork sent to NGB without the FC1, but (to my knowledge) NGB approval is not possible without successfully passing the FC1. So no OTS dates until NGB approval, and no NGB approval until FC1 stamped.

26 minutes ago, cowdog said:

After we go to MEPS and swear in, can we start drilling with the unit while we wait a year for everything else to fall into place? 

Like AlphaPapa said, talk to student flight (since that's what you will fall under) when you go to swear in. They will work it up the chain of command and get approval to attend/miss drill, and who you should report to.

I know of someone selected in 2017 that did OTS > FC1/MFS > UPT. It's definitely circumventing the normal process and I'm not exactly sure how they did it, but it is possible if your unit and recruiter are willing to put in the extra work to not do things the normal way (mine was adamantly NOT when I mentioned it to them). However, this also puts the unit at risk of having an officer that can't fly because they aren't medically qualified to do so, which I have also heard has happened to the same unit that does this.

Edited by Sit On Acorns

I know of someone selected in 2017 that did OTS > FC1/MFS > UPT. It's definitely circumventing the normal process and I'm not exactly sure how they did it, but it is possible if your unit and recruiter are willing to put in the extra work to not do things the normal way. However, this also puts the unit at risk of having an officer that can't fly because they aren't medically qualified to do so, which I have also heard has happened to the same unit that does this.

My FC1 is already scheduled for next week. I was just seeing if the ability exists to have dates assigned by NGB before they had an approved FC1 in hand. Been a 3.5 month wait for an FC1 and was hoping they’d be able to get me into one of the June OTS classes but I figure that possibility is dissolving as we progress through May

2 minutes ago, Sit On Acorns said:

I know of someone selected in 2017 that did OTS > FC1/MFS > UPT. It's definitely circumventing the normal process and I'm not exactly sure how they did it, but it is possible if your unit and recruiter are willing to put in the extra work to not do things the normal way (mine was adamantly NOT when I mentioned it to them). However, this also puts the unit at risk of having an officer that can't fly because they aren't medically qualified to do so, which I have also heard has happened to the same unit that does this.

I also know someone who did this too, except he was a prior and was currently working at the unit he would be flying with, so maybe they had a bit more trust in his physical. But I said the same thing, why send him to OTS before the FC1 if he could possibly fail it.

6 minutes ago, PilotPitts said:

My FC1 is already scheduled for next week. I was just seeing if the ability exists to have dates assigned by NGB before they had an approved FC1 in hand. Been a 3.5 month wait for an FC1 and was hoping they’d be able to get me into one of the June OTS classes but I figure that possibility is dissolving as we progress through May

Real talk, you don't want to be here in Alabama in June haha

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AlphaPapa said:

I also know someone who did this too, except he was a prior and was currently working at the unit he would be flying with, so maybe they had a bit more trust in his physical. But I said the same thing, why send him to OTS before the FC1 if he could possibly fail it.

We're probably talking about the same person then.

3 minutes ago, cagg011 said:

Real talk, you don't want to be here in Alabama in June haha

I'd do OTS in hell if they'd just send me tomorrow. This waiting game is way worse than anything they could throw at me at this point. But hey, I've lived in hot & humid my whole life so I'm used to it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sit On Acorns said:

Guard or Reserve?

Guard or Reserve?

Per the NGB/A1 checklist + AFI36-2005 all that’s required is a commissioning physical. Which is why I was kind of hopeful they’d be able to at least assign me a date for after my FC1 sometime during the past 3 months. No such luck.

Hired with a Reserve unit in May 2017.

Meps November 2017.

FC1 completed January 2018. FC1 Approved February 2018.

My recruiter just notified me that my packet didn't meet the May board, but I will most likely make the July board. Anyone have insight on things I could do to speed up the process? It seems like I'll do some paperwork and then wait for a couple months before I hear anything.

Hired Guard July 2017

Enlisted Aug 2017

FC1 Oct 2017, Approved Jan 2018

Package to NGB Jan 2018

(forms out of date, recruiter failure) resubmit March 2018

(improperly completed form, partly me/partly recruiter) resubmit April 2018 

TFOT and IFT dates May 2018 

UPT TBD (Guard FY19 UPT quotas have not been assigned yet?)

Bottom line, if paper work is correct the process can go relatively quickly and smoothly. Double and triple check everything you send to your recruiter. Many things are confusing and no matter how many times you recheck you wont know if you've done it right (your recruiter probably wont either).

Be patient. Be polite. Keep in touch with your POCs and don't quit your civilian job. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:41 AM, Sonofabone said:

Hired Guard July 2017

Enlisted Aug 2017

FC1 Oct 2017, Approved Jan 2018

Package to NGB Jan 2018

(forms out of date, recruiter failure) resubmit March 2018

(improperly completed form, partly me/partly recruiter) resubmit April 2018 

TFOT and IFT dates May 2018 

UPT TBD (Guard FY19 UPT quotas have not been assigned yet?)

Bottom line, if paper work is correct the process can go relatively quickly and smoothly. Double and triple check everything you send to your recruiter. Many things are confusing and no matter how many times you recheck you wont know if you've done it right (your recruiter probably wont either).

Be patient. Be polite. Keep in touch with your POCs and don't quit your civilian job. 

Can you explain the "forms out of date" part for me?  I just submitted mine but my signatures were a few months old because of how long it took for other paperwork to get hashed out.

10 hours ago, JustHangingOut said:

Can you explain the "forms out of date" part for me?  I just submitted mine but my signatures were a few months old because of how long it took for other paperwork to get hashed out.

There’s no way to know unless you are the recruiter. Headquarters updates forms periodically and if you filled out a form on 01/01/01 and they come out with an updated version on 01/02/01 your original is out of date. 

I would suggest you just ask your recruiter to double check you have filled out the most recent version of each form prior to submitting to NGB. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sonofabone said:

There’s no way to know unless you are the recruiter. Headquarters updates forms periodically and if you filled out a form on 01/01/01 and they come out with an updated version on 01/02/01 your original is out of date. 

I would suggest you just ask your recruiter to double check you have filled out the most recent version of each form prior to submitting to NGB. 

Good copy.  I’ll reach out to him in the morning.

CAANG

Hired: Oct 2017

FC1: January 2018

Package to HQ: Feb 2018

Kicked back for missing initials and resubmit: Mar 2018

Kicked back again for one missing set of initials (interestingly enough, it was to acknowledge that I'm not a line officer. Not sure what that means.) - and resubmit - Mid May 2018

Approved and sent to NGB: End of May 2018

Pending OTS/Pipeline dates: 23 May 2018

Prior-Enlisted (4yrs), transfered to my unit 2 years ago. Hired from within.